Fighting Game News and Speculation 2007-2009

stay up to date on what's going on
Goryus

Re: Does anyone care about SF4?

Post by Goryus »

Haha, no, that's the top part of a chicken.

He's some kind of new character, with a "mysterious past" who fights with a mixture of martial arts styles. They did a thing about him on the capcom blog.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

The sad and funny thing is he is looking the best of the bunch so far. Yet, I could totally go make that outfit and hair he has on a custom character in SC3.

And, this is precisely what were discussing earlier in the thread. C.Viper "Who, what?". New guy "Hey, he's a fighter!".

So they are trying to appeal to both audiences after all. Generic stereotype rehash cookie cutter stock blob - fighter. And stylish colorful eccentric unknown random normal person - maybe fighter maybe not.

Directly related video of interest: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/17543
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

You know, the more I look at Blanka and Dhalsim, the more I feel they are just as out of place as C.Viper, if not more-so. Also I'm wondering if Abel is a Geese clone or not, though.

But never mind that. More importantly, Mauve pointed out that E.Honda has a sixpack.. despite being a fatass..

Yeah anatomy doesn't work like that.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I doubt abel is a geese clone. He looks like an mma fighter.. Probably has some grapples.. Maybe so like hit into throw style moves. Maybe he's joe.... he has no memory of his past.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

fullmetalross wrote: he has no memory of his past.
What?

No, nooooooooooooo. SF canon has become a soap opera and RPG cliché.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Grumble grumble

- SFIV Gameplay video - Ken vs Zangief, Ken's Full Ultra, 'Gief's FAB.

Grumble grumble.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm happy to have found these so i'm sharing in case other people are interested as well:

Street Fighter IV direct feed trailers

Includes the original Ryu vs Ken cinematic teaser, the 3-minute SF2 cast introduction trailer, and the Chun Li vs C.Viper cinematic.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Some one linked this;
- http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=3393

And this;
- http://twitchdesigns.com/sfiv/evolution.jpg
(new images on the left, old on the right)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Wow, i'm totally impressed by that article. Who wrote it? Gotta be someone we know. (And he's right about Guile's hair; definitely needs to be longer.)

Too bad most of it will end up being obsolete inside of a week following the game's release. There's usually one dominant thing that determines how the whole game evolves. In A3 it was Dhalsim, in MvC2 it was AHVB, in CvS2 it was low fierce, and so on. Until that one thing gets spotted, everyone is kinda stumbling around blindly.

I hope Gief stays good but at the same time i'm a little bit worried about that too, cuz Gief vs Gief is a dumb mirror match. Apart from Shotos, there aren't any great mirror matches in Street Fighter. Guile vs Guile is good in CvS series but terrible in SF2 series. Chun vs Chun is maybe ok. Sim vs Sim looks kinda cool at long range and even at midrange with drill zoning, but it's reversal throw mashfest up close.
Maj

Post by Maj »

PWND: Gametrailers upstages Capcom Unity thanks to budget, equipment, skill

Dope slideshow showcasting C.Viper's movelist. Lots of nice editing. Maybe we should invite this Patrick Morales fellow here, since he's an "SF nut" and he plans on making SF4 combo videos:
Patrick Morales wrote:When we finally get the game, you can bet that I’ll be there for a combo and primer video.
Goryus

Post by Goryus »

Do it! Seriously.

They also have an Abel video out.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hm, i can't find any contact info whatsoever. What the hell?
Goryus

Post by Goryus »

Maybe Seth can get a message to him. I know that you have to put in an e-mail address every time you post on the blog...I assume the capcom guys can see it, and he may have even entered a valid one.
desk

Post by desk »

the guy who wrote the sf4 article goes by the name privateryan. It's good 'cos he's a real player who regularly attends tournaments, not just a random guy who works at a website. He's also supercool, lol, known him for a few years and bumped into him at a UK event a few days ago. I was also chatting with a friend who works at capcom who was giving me lots of juice about the game... Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share any of it on the internet, haha. Everything I heard was really positive though. Barring any random gamebreaking oversight I think it's shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Really hoping there's another location test soon.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hmm, I think there's been 3 so far? Not sure..

The Western gamers that are in Japan right now seem to be very hype for it.

Hohum, I should ask again if it's pulling the numbers. Last time I asked I was told that it wasn't, in comparison to the other premiere releases. Followed by a witty retort that SF4 was designed "for Americans", implying that the locals weren't going to be all over it anyway. You can totally interpret that as either a good thing or a bad thing.

Still, I can't overlook the mechanics that I disagree with so my interest in it is still at a minimum.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

New character... Rufus.

Heh.

He looks like Karnmov from Karnmov's Revenge, except that he's a white guy.

He actually looks like a bunch of different biggie-characters slapped together. Wan-Fu, Chang (with Choi's moves), Raiden (the wrestler), etc.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

he reminds me more of like mr. Heart with more karate moves and less Itteyoooo!!!! Or like a character out of some side scrolling beat-em up I played a long time ago.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe teaser trailer

... the hell?

Looks terrible.
Xenozip.

Re: Does anyone care about SF4? (FG News thread)

Post by Xenozip. »

I'm was hoping that one was a joke, but it's a little late for April Fool's day.

They really should just go back to MK2. Like literally; take what's already there, and just add to it with DC characters and fix/modify things a tiny little bit. None of this... whatever the fuck they're trying to do.
Maj

Post by Maj »

For anyone who cares about high quality SF4 character artwork, mynando has managed to pull the transparent .png files from the CoJ website. They're posted in a thread at the Capcom BBS.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I have no idea about the validity of this. But apparently IGN is saying that SF4 is heading for a PC release.. ?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/876/876865p1.html

shock and wonder
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well i'm not a supporter of FPS and MMORPG games, which means i'm not a huge fan of the PC as a gaming platform, but i'm definitely looking forward to all the fan customizations that will inevitably spring up. That's one area where the PC gaming world always seems to shine.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

SF4 on steampowered! go!
Maj

Post by Maj »

New Watercolor Trailer: Guile vs Abel

Kinda hard to tell what's going on in general. Guess they were trying to convey desert heat atmosphere or something. Abel absolutely refuses to get knocked down; he even superarmors through a Flash Kick. After that it gets hella chaotic. I think Abel tries to throw Guile, but Guile catches his hand then tries to punch Abel in the ribs, but Abel parries that. Then somehow Guile kicks him in the head then combos into hopkick?

It looks cool after you've seen it a couple of times. Though i still can't quite tell what's going on at the beginning. Like, how does the fight actually start? Guile's walking in slow motion, cue dramatic pigeons, then Guile randomly jumps back and throws a Sonic Boom? At least i'm pretty sure that shadow is supposed to be Guile, judging from the chain around his neck.

There's also this new trailer featuring an annoying announcer and new gameplay footage. Bison's elaborate new super looks dope.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

There's new portraits and bio's on the official Capcom site too. I saw the new boss character there (don't worry about spoiling yourself).

The gallery comes complete with closeups of Rufus, and his character portrait artwork w/features a very large tub of popcorn in his hands.

Sigh.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Xenozip. wrote:There's new portraits and bio's on the official Capcom site too. I saw the new boss character there (don't worry about spoiling yourself).

The gallery comes complete with closeups of Rufus, and his character portrait artwork w/features a very large tub of popcorn in his hands.

Sigh.
I don't suppose you know what this character was originally holding BEFORE Seth Killian turned it into a tub of popcorn, do you? ^_^

- James
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Sadly, I most certainly don't!

I definitely wondered if the original plan was to make him caucasian, and blond with "asian hair", and super fat but "floaty". I hadn't seen the popcorn till recently, and at that point I was just like "well, ok!" hehehe.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Uh, it's probably a good idea to stop this particular discussion right here. It'd be awesome if Capcom revealed all of their behind-the-scenes design notes like they have done for SF2, but until that happens it's best not to engage in rumor speculation. Especially considering how many of us have casual conversations with people who now work at Capcom and how often confidentiality is blurred/understated in those interactions.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Wow, that's... wow.

I'm speechless. GJ Capcom. :shock:

Thanks for that little FYI, that will forever remain my mental image of him.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Maj is right. In fact, I feel bad that I've posted it at all. So I'm'a delete my original post, so only those who have seen it will know. ^_^

- James