Exceptional Video Editing Examples

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Exceptional Video Editing Examples

Post by Maj »

Magnetro and i were having some random conversation yesterday on the subject of videos that focus on editing instead of content. Of course the combos need to be good enough not to be a weak point, but there are some videos where the author's priority was obviously to impress people with fancy effects. There were a bunch of videos i wanted to show him so i figured i'd just make a thread for people to post their favorite videos, editing-wise.

Sai-Rec CvS2 Combo Video Preview and Opening
http://sonichurricane.com/media.html (at the bottom of the page)
(editing by AyanamiLilith, who pretty much specialized only in editing)

Xerocrew CvS2 Volume 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIE83Fcqco8
(combo video from early CvS2 days; intro is almost half of the video length)

These next two aren't really focused on editing, but i really like the authors' editing decisions.

KoF2k2 Ultimate Combo Movie
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TJp5fTEO6uw
(first 9 seconds of this is my favorite combo video intro ever; explosion looks way better without youtube blur)

SF3:3S Link Combo Encyclopedia
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6274452557
(really nice title sequences introducing each character)
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Yeah, fuck you too!

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ok seriously though, what are the odds of Magnetro not having seen your videos? That was the only reason i didn't list yours. Will you still be my friend?

Thong of Rage
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9052914467
(not only the best 3S video ever made, but also the best Streets of Rage video ever made, the best CvS2 video ever made, AND the best Tekken video ever made)
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Generally SNK videos are known for too much editing and not enough content. And well this video is sort of no execption. It's a last blade 2 video by KOF Union and the thing that hampers last blade 2 is really there aren't that many interesting combos. Or if there are no one is doing them. But I think this is the best video ever made for it. The music is amazing and fits really well with the video and there are a few key moments the best being the moriya teleport part, showing just how crazy the teleport glitch is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J0GwbNWqY7c

For those not familiar with last blade some of the important things to watch for are the crazy links in Power mode, as it does not have chains, though you'll also see some of those links with Speed characters. O.Kaede and his air chain glitch. And turtle interrupt setups. Definetly one of the best vids out of KOFunion and they make some awesome SNK videos.

Edit: Forgot to mention, also watch for combo damage resets using things like the parry quick get up, and the hiting akari on the ground with stuff that normally shouldn't happen.
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Haha, I was just funnin' ya. I'm a self-promotion whore, I gotta get the exposure where I can.

I've been worried lately about the editing in the stuff I'm about to release (any day now...) not being up to par, that's one of the bigger problems outside of my own laziness with new releases coming out. Do most of these guys just mash plugins or what? I've always done everything by hand in photoshop and using editing trickery, but it's because I'm stupid and I don't know any better.

N
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

speaking of how you do things.. what program do you use for video editing? Fancy shit like final cut? I would assume that would make things easier since it's intergrated with photoshop and what not.
NKI

Post by NKI »

DUDE...how can you talk about top-notch video editing and not mention my vids? Black and white title cards, PLUS fade in/fade out!?!? Yo, that shit is OFF THE HOOK.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

NKI wrote:DUDE...how can you talk about top-notch video editing and not mention my vids? Black and white title cards, PLUS fade in/fade out!?!? Yo, that shit is OFF THE HOOK.
While we're at it. MikeZ's B&W title cards is something people can also mention

Or

My stuff =(

random japanese people sometimes make tribute videos to mvc2 or other games. By that I mean they make a marvel video look like an intro of an anime or part of an anime sequence or something. Terrory, OTG, and I think joo to some degree do stuff like that. Sadly only like 1 of those videos are hosted, haha.
Maj

Post by Maj »

If you're interested in pure editing skill, it's damn near impossible to outdo the KoF crowd. Those guys always do super-elaborate group collaborations where like a dozen people contribute combo replays (via emu). So the guy doing the editing doesn't really have to spend the majority of his time working on combos. Just check out almost any feature release on Cyberfanatix or KoFUnion.

Also, the guy who runs RB Life+ does nothing but videos with fancy editing. There's usually like three or four Fatal Fury combos in the whole video and the rest is just editing stuff. If you check out his "discography" you'll see descriptions of videos from three full years ago. Unfortunately he doesn't host old videos but the next time he releases a new video i'll make a mention of it here.

Actually there was a video released by adaki just recently that is clearly a KoF character tribute rather than actual combo video. Check out the Angel video (white hair, black clothes) on his movie page. It seems kinda dumb to me but when your combo videos are as good as some of the ones on his website, i guess you can get away with making creepy joke videos once in a while.
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

fullmetalross wrote:speaking of how you do things.. what program do you use for video editing? Fancy shit like final cut? I would assume that would make things easier since it's intergrated with photoshop and what not.
I used Premiere 6.0 before, but I'm about to switch over to Final Cut or Avid.

I don't actually use any of the fancier features, just the little razor and the fade-in/out slider, haha. If there's a particular thing I did you want to know about, feel free to ask. It's hella ghetto the way I do stuff though, the answer is prolly just "Yeah, I sat and cut out every single pixel, then animated it by placing one frame at a time on the timeline".

N - I'm going to make the proto for the Q vid this week, if you guys swear not to show anyone I'll preview it here.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

We swear. ^_^ Show away!

- James
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

jchensor wrote:We swear. ^_^ Show away!

- James
haha

Anyway, I can't believe I forgot about this video, Meikyousisui 6 is one of the most famous videos cause of its editing. Even if the footage is old it's still very fun to watch. I wish masala did more of the editing in the meikyo videos. =-/

Powerstrike is really great, too. however, some people told me that he didnt do the editing for the video it's still good 8)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

My current favorites are KYSG, Ikusat, and ZenFire.

<3

[Edit]: But to be fair I haven't really watched anything else lately. Hahaha.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Re: Exceptional Video Editing Examples

Post by Maj »

This is something else. I remember seeing this video when it was newly released; totally blew my mind.

F.E.C.U CMV Vol. 17, Episode: 02
http://tv.mofile.com/PP36CCVA
(skim through the video but watch out for 8:38-9:38 and 14:32-15:02)

I mean, seriously, who does that?? ..dotdot...dot.. So completely absurdly random!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Funny how quickly things change when it comes to video editing. Half this stuff wouldn't even be considered good anymore, much less exceptional.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Still, no matter how much trends change, some things remain classics. Here's a video that was so far ahead of its time, nobody even knows about it:

SFA3 Doll Combo Madness by jchensor

Dope how he waits until the background music breakdown at 0:25 before he shows his true editing power level. Seriously, it is absolutely absurd how much potential is contained in that single five-second combo edit.
Vega Omega

Post by Vega Omega »

IMO not many people can beat the KOF kids when it comes to editing.

exps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkHlppa4 ... re=related

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFggsWb0TQ

I've always admired their editing skills. Although sometimes they tend to use really gay music...
Maj

Post by Maj »

CvS2 Combo Video by jchensor

Most likely entirely accidental, but there's an Iori vs Eagle combo at 4:04 which leads into a Zangief vs Yun combo at 4:15, inbetween which Eagle gets launched up into the exact spot from which Gief descends to land a crossup j.D+HP splash. It looks really cool. More please.
Maj

Post by Maj »

SFZ3 : Ryu and Ken CE by AreBeAre

There are only like one and a half non-terrible combos in this video - 0:48 (because of the lightning bolt) and 1:51 (because it's kind of surprising that HP DP hits three times with T.Hawk that high). Otherwise everything is super generic, escapable juggle combos.

But he does something interesting with the editing. The cuts between combos are very slow. There's a full second inbetween one combo fully ending and the next combo beginning. However it doesn't seem that slow at all, because he starts every clip with his characters walking forward. That passive movement creates the illusion of action without being distracting - which helps resolve pacing issues while giving viewers enough time to digest each combo. Pretty neat trick.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

This combo video is on my list of top-ten favourite combo vids ever and the editing and the music blew my mind back in the day when it was realesed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfHZjI0p9g
And another video with flawless editing IMO:
http://youtu.be/V_lZeP4IP2Q
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

I wasnt a fan of vids that didnt have ingame sounds. That vid reminded me of the below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhaijIRIP8

Loved watching Emphy in Denjin vids!