Could we pull off a Fighting Game Comedy Video?

video previews, releases, and feedback

Could we make this work?

Sure, if they keep up the defense and everyone stays healthy
83%
No way, Kobe is gonna leave and everyone will break a shoulder except Vujacic
17%

Total votes: 12

Maj

Could we pull off a Fighting Game Comedy Video?

Post by Maj »

What do you think it would take to make a funny non-ghetto fighting game video?

Sure, there are videos that include funny editing, and sometimes even funny combos, but always as a secondary objective. For example with the 2HitCombo video - it contained a lot of humor, but at the end of the day its success was based on the quality of the combos.

In other words, we never said "if this doesn't end up being funny, we're dead." We thought, "if all the combos end up being lame, we're dead."

Other videos out there are funny by virtue of being ghetto. They make fun of people in the community in a ghetto way or do a ghetto tutorial that makes fun of the character's weaknesses or make "Juggernaut, bitch" jokes.

If we take those two things (impressive content and ghettoness) out of the equation, can we still make a video worth watching? Check out these sample clips to see where i'm coming from.

Terry is being sneaky.

In fact, crawling is always funny.

Sometimes winning hurts just as much as losing.

Let me know what you think. (Poll unrelated.)
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

i like stupid stuff like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECLskV5gk2I

mvc2: two cables doing hp hp hp hp viperbeam to each other
Goryus

Post by Goryus »

That last one had me cracking up. Gotta love the ending.

There was a lot of funny stuff in your Guile video, too, enough that it gives me hope that this kind of project could be pulled off.

Something like in Desk's video where Balrog was dancing to the music might work too, especially if it was blown up into a full on dance routine (Singing in the Rain?).
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
desk

Post by desk »

It would be awesome to have a big coreographed, 'in time' dance thing included in a combo.

I think this could definately work but it would probably get labeled as 'odd combo's' or something stupid instead of 'comedy'. Even though it'll be hella funny. Thinking about it, I do laugh at combo videos more often than is probably healthy, lol. And I'm sure most of the time the creators weren't trying to be funny.

EDIT: That first clip made me laugh out loud at just how long it took for terry to get across the screen only to not actually do a proper combo.
Maj

Post by Maj »

A lot of it comes down to the editing, i suppose. For example the funny thing about that Krauser clip is that he's supposed to be so evil and badass. I tried to show that by having him do some scary looking stuff before he made a fool of himself. But maybe that would be better accomplished using an anime clip or something. The second Fatal Fury movie might be the best fighting game anime ever.

Still it's kind of difficult to go out looking for this stuff. And it's ok if this project never gets off the ground. I'll be happy if people just use this thread to post up dumb stuff they saw/made happen while trying to get a combo to work for like 4 hours.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Magnetro wrote:i like stupid stuff like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECLskV5gk2I
Best video ever. It's like a blooper reel for fighting games.

The IaMP community tried to put something like that together too, but only the beta version of the video went live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kmOXelYpms

We're still collecting replays for more lol moments.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
NKI

Post by NKI »

I think this would be hard to pull off (just finding enough material, that is), but if done well, it would be awesome.

One thing that comes to mind is the fact that Dan's super taunt in A2 is invincible to throws. Check out my Volume I Act IX for an example. (Click link in signature.)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, this kind of material is difficult to fabricate from scratch. The best "wtf" moments are freestyle/improvisations.

I find the best time these sorts of things happen is when players switch between games and aren't so quick to adjust. Or when a very experienced and well seasoned player in one game switches to a game they've never played before. Hehe.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Also, I think blooper reels have become very popular lately, thanks to the custom Mario mods:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... FD54A1AA10

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 0996951E4C
Maj

Post by Maj »

A few clips in that 3S video would be perfect for what i have in mind. I'm leaning more towards showing things that are funny in and of themselves. I don't want someone to be an expert strategist at the game in order to appreciate the comedy in the way a certain match played out.

I'd prefer to show stuff like that Yun vs Urien clip where the wrong person dies. Clips of people messing up combos/setups might be funny to us, but that's only because we know exactly what combo/setup they were going for.
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

I think that, as always, it depends on who you're making it for.

Likesay, the Mario screw-ups are universally hilarious because everyone knows the grief that comes with barely missing jumps and whatnot in oldschool games. It reminds me a lot of that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's just fucking with Daffy Duck for like 7 minutes straight and at the end he says "Ain't I a Stinker?", haha. It's like the game is actively screwing the guy.

The 3s Beta ???? (I don't have JIS installed, haha) is only really funny if you know everything about 3s, because you know what's supposed to happen. But anyone who's not above like mid-level in that game would get bored very quickly, as they can't identify with it. Like that Yun/Urien clip, unless you know the game engine it's just kind of dumb. But if you do, it's uproarious.

RSF's vids are a perfect showing of how something can be niche as hell and still funny to as many people as possible. Michael Fantasy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9yjNB ... re=related) shows a bunch of games no "average" person has any familiarity with, but the Moonwalker tie-in bridges the unfamiliar gaps. Also, it keeps moving at a rapid pace, so even if you only recognize 1 of every 3 cameos, it holds the viewer's attention.

Something like Pop-Up Video style jokes would probably work well, because it's something everyone is at least vaguely familiar with and you can use the format for both jokes and information. Like in Potegaman, we put the combo explanations into the Dr Light sequences, and there's also the funny character nicknames and whatnot at the bottom of the screen. So when it says after the Dizzy Burst Glitch clip "Go ahead, watch that part again" it's funny and still telling people who don't know the game that something weird just happened.

If I can ever figure out what my sword's name is (Bleach metaphor) I'll show a better example.

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well how many people found the IaMP bloopers funny? I know none of you here really play it except me, so then that would be a test to see if anyone found something comical in it without really knowing the game.

Or how about these random funny IaMP moments that were recently posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJEwfvvvgLw (note: thongboy needs to click this)

If you guys can find that comical with next to zero knowledge of the game, then I'd say there can be some FG-related comedy that could be conveyed universally through the FG community.

I could see where a lot of funny moments would fall flat if you don't know the game, because a lot of funny stuff that happens is very game-specific. But there's also a lot of stuff that I can personally think of that I feel are rather general or intuitive.
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

That's almost the opposite of what I would think the aim would be, though. The core members of this forum are people who know game engines and whatnot inside-out, so we'd naturally be able to pick out nuances and details just from context and experience. All the extra editing and thematic elements of the videos we put out for "the fans" are so they can enjoy and understand the stuff we take for granted.

Hell, I was talking to Chenanigans about this a month or so back, for the video I'm technically still doing with him (the spirit is willing, but the body is... unconcerned). I saw that he showed the clips already, albeit to a select few, and though I'm not at all mad at him it sort of made me less excited about the video. For me, I want people at both poles of comprehension and experience to enjoy the "fancy" version. That's part of the enjoyment for me, the challenge of making a video as accessible as possible to people who wouldn't know that they're interested in the subject while still making the subject matter useful and genuinely enjoyable (not just cursorily watched to get the "I've watched every single combo video that's ever been released" Achievement Points, which are as useful and nebulous as the Chat Gem until an expansion pack is released) to, well... us.

For you guys, the combos are good enough raw. That's the trick for me on this end, to throw on all the pretty ribbons that other people like without diminishing that quality. Once that's accomplished I throw away that version and try again, as the real goal is to go past that and make them MORE enjoyable than they were originally.

That's a big reason why I'm not really "around" any more, though I think calling it "retirement" (as people keep harping) seems rather silly to me. I don't play any more, and I don't see people from SRK in a "Street Fighter" sense any more, they're just people I know now, friends of mine. I could probably still make the same caliber of video or damn close if I wasn't so weird about a guy who's not an SF player making SF videos.

All that blather is a roundabout way of saying something I've been trying to concisely communicate through pretty much all the crap I've put out, video or otherwise: The most important thing is truly sympathizing with the people who the video is for, and really speaking to them in a basic artsy sense. The same way I feel about the new Wu Tang album is how I should feel about a new Xenozip video (I actually would say his are like L'arc albums, from my perspective), and that feeling is what makes a video cross over.

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I see what you're saying. I was just kind of curious if some things were actually universally funny to people. I've had moments looking at AH footage where I've found something incredibly funny, despite having never played the game and almost zero interest in it (actually I loathe the game).

But yeah, I agree, it would need to be more of a movie production than a series of video clips. That's quite a huge undertaking though.

I've been following the avatar creations on SRK by GiveQuicheAChance and OrangeCat as well as the author of the FR avatars (dunno artist's SN). These guys really have a nack for creating comedy FG/VG scenarios using just sprites and a limited canvas (dimensions/size/colors). Thinking about it, you could probably turn their avatars into a movie. A very hilariously awesome movie.

That's probably the sort of thing you'd want to aim for, huh?
Maj

Re: Could we pull off a fighting game comedy video?

Post by Maj »

There's a ton of absurdly absurd glitches in arcade SFTM but i don't know if the comedy potential of that game justifies permanently besmirching a perfectly good video.

Here are some old clips from thousands of years ago, though they're probably too slow/subtle in their current form:

Everything is a crossup.

Keep your eye on the bicyclist coming in from the left.

Also, you can probably make an entire movie out of grabbing stuff with 720's:

Reverse Spin Kick THIS!

There's a long list of stuff that should have been 720'd ages ago. One of the most promising sources of material is the fact that Super Combos are not particularly good at comboing in ST. With the proper setup, you could 720 your way out of the middle of Honda's super, Blanka's super after the first hit, Guile's super when he lands inbetween Flash Kicks, Balrog's super when he flinches, and so on. You can even juggle DeeJay's super very close to the corner after his FK, so that the super only hits once and you get up in time to 720 his recovery or something.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Another thing that i always thought was funny is tiny characters doing suplex-type throws against huge characters. For example ST Cammy's punch throw performed against T.Hawk or Balrog. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Over the years, the Street Fighter cast has gone up against Sentinels and dinosaurs and all sorts of freaking giant bosses.

To drive the point home, we can try to find a few clips of failed throws against heavy opponents. I'm not sure if anything like that exists in fighting games but you definitely get hurt for trying to throw those fat firebreathing dudes at the baseball stadium in Streets of Rage 2.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but i had an idea that was too dumb not to write down somewhere so i'ma do it before i forget it again.

In my opinion, the entire Matrix trilogy is good. Everyone hates on the sequels but i think that's cuz too much anticipation was allowed to build up and the audience went in with irrational, homogenized expectations. One of the most common complaints back in the day came from Neo fixing Trinity's heart at the end. Guess people thought it was too easy of a victory, but that sentiment always seemed wrong to me because it was a minor victory at the precipice of a major uphill battle.

The problem was that the Colonel Sanders conversation at the end of the movie was way too dense and went by waaay too fast. I hated it at first too. Then somehow i ended up having to watch the movie again with a different group of friends and my whole opinion of the movie changed instantly as soon i got to hear that conversation again. Suddenly i couldn't wait to see the third installment.

Well, i remember thinking about how i could illustrate the gravity of the situation to all the people who were in the same boat as me after my first viewing. Naturally i thought of CvS2. So i was gonna use Color Edit Mode to turn Ryu's outfit black then rename him Neo and make Sagat paler then rename him Architect. I was gonna show one round of combat from the beginning, starting from when the announcer says "Final Round. Fight!"

K-Sagat was gonna start rushing down immediately, like sj.HK, c.HP, c.MK xx LK FB, run forward c.HP, run forward c.HP, run forward c.HP, and N-Ryu either blocking or getting hit by all of this. Then finally, the fourth time Sagat tries to run forward and low fierce, Ryu runs forward and counters with RC LP DP. Up until this point, Sagat was one sliver away from full meter so that uppercut gets him raged. As Sagat is rising with full meter and Ryu's guard bar flashing, the screen freezes and fades out.

So i was gonna use that as a metaphor for the situation that Neo found himself in at the end of Matrix Reloaded. Like, yeah, he landed one uppercut, but now he's about to get rushed the fuck down! Haha, storytelling via gameplay.

But um, i guess i waited too long and now nobody even remembers what exactly happened in those movies.
Maj

Re: Could we pull off a Fighting Game Comedy Video?

Post by Maj »

Oh my God.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Someone did it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

One of the most brilliant things i've ever seen.
Xenozip.

Re: Ghetto Combo Video Discussion

Post by Xenozip. »

<Rithli> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peD1Qcouq8E
<Xeno> ?
<Rithli> then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKN1qXbey0&fmt=18
<Rithli> and then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmpoAp21I9I&fmt=18
<Xeno> is this going to be some massive attattattatatata'ing?
<Rithli> and then choose from a) lol b) wrist slit
Maj

Post by Maj »

There were a lot of funny ideas in those videos. The parts that got me were the psychedelic photo at the beginning, the way the combo originally shows up as a rotating object making it impossible to see what's going on, the random Ghost Rider skull, the way the two soundtracks overlapped before the credits, and the beginning/end of the credits section itself.

Turns out that Persona had nothing to do with those parody videos though, which is kind of a huge disappointment. Now those kids are trolling the combo videos thread on SRK which is okay - whatever - as long as everyone knows it's nothing but flamebait.
~Persona Z~ wrote:I would appreciate if you change the description for the video. I understand you're mocking me for the Kim combo video for the editing but I had nothing to do with the editing whatsoever. In fact, I really hated it for I also hate long ass intros and credits and editing that takes over the majority of the "combo" video (SNK editors love the abuse it). If you've also noticed, it's the only video of "mine" that has effects shitted all over the combos unless it's a trailer.

As much as I hated my own production and hear bad comments about it, I still respond with a smile because not everyone succeeds every time. Out of all the SNK editors/combo videos out there, I seem to have been the unlucky one to get mocked at, especially for a first time video. I think it has to do with the video being on combovideos.com because as far as I know, I am the only "SNK" person who stays on both sides of the world (Capcom and SNK) and combovideos is more Capcom than SNK. Also the fact that I'm most likely the only SNK person who submits videos to CV so I'm probably the main person who would get mocked at out of the hundreds of other SNK combo makers/editors. I mention CV for the fact that I know someone who enjoys bashing the kim video and is related to you guys a CV hotshot (staff maybe? I'm not 100% sure).

I at least appreciate that I'm not mentioned in the video. But I would appreciate it more if you guys changed the description of the videos. I have nothing to do with David Sirlin whatsoever so I'm only protecting my part.

If you guys enjoy bashing editing so much, there's a whole lot of other people out there who do a much more extreme job at editing and are worth bashing more.
By the video credits and the description, i totally got the impression that he was one of the people behind it, but i guess the whole thing was done without his knowledge or permission. It's just a huge letdown knowing that they decided to do this as a way of excluding and insulting someone, when it could have been done in a way friendlier inclusive manner. Even if they waited until after the video was done, all they woulda needed to do is send the guy a quick heads-up to make sure he was in on the joke.
Maj

Post by Maj »

DaigoRandom

hahaha wtf
error1

Post by error1 »

I found that video sad more then anything else. It reminded me of this, but not quite as bad
http://www.cracked.com/video_16699_swai ... butes.html
Maj

Post by Maj »

Pretty sure that was intentional. I think ruiN- was trying to make it campy, lame, and nonsensical. That link was pretty funny though; more polished than most low-budget comedy attempts on the internet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Looks like SRK has this more or less under control: Fighting Game Comedy thread in FGD

It's up to almost ten pages already. One less thing for us to worry about i guess.
Bob_Sagat

Post by Bob_Sagat »

Maj wrote:Matrix CVS2 color edit idea, Ryu as Neo, Sagat as Col. Sanders
Why Ryu? In my PS2 CVS2 color edit mode I actually made Kyosuke into Neo and (I think) Vice into Trinity. (Long coats)

Eagle could be a good Col. Sanders I guess. He's got the 'tache, the tie, plus I'm sure that there's a deleted scene where The Architect busts out two batons and goes bullet-time on someone's ass.

You could still do it, even though it was a while ago and most people hate parts 2 & 3, everybody seems to remember them. Kyosuke's flash kick kinda resembles the "Trinity, help!" bullet-dodge move I suppose.

Maybe it could be part of a bigger project in which multiple films are spoofed. I remember turning Morrigan into Batman and King into Alfred, Kim into Trunks(DBZ), Terry into Mario and Dic into Luigi(hats, that's all I needed), Boxer into Mega Man... That's all I can remember.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

i thought about a sort of "comedy" FG video. However it took me all off half an hour to come up with nothing, so making a worthwhile video of genuine funnyness is probably an uphill struggle. it really depends though if you want purely comedy or you're willing to add "cool" stuff in the video to. Here's a few random ideas though.

- Have a character do rediculously fantastic mixups, phenominal dominance for the better half of a round. Only to get 1 hit KO'd by turn punch Super.

- Make a character perform many elaborate ways of dodging sagats projectiles, slowly progressing forward -> Only, when he gets right in there Sagat performs a back throw, ressetting the entire situation. (Ibuki would probably be best candidate for this) Sagats laugh taunt will probably end that well.

- Ideally in a legit game. block any "powerful" ultra with Dans crouch taunts.

- trolling online (Guys use of music is very good in this) always amounts to some form of comedy.

- Small skit perhaps, entitled "no escape" or something, in which you show alot of moves that target aerial opponents hitting them during attack animations (For example, Abel snatching Cammy out of her spin knuckle if Sky fall)

- just displaying some funny moves/supers form random games. Perhaps pause for effect. Skulle Aur Super in SF:EX2 is pretty ridiculous. (Clips of them drinking tea as a damage move)

I did have the idea of a "sods law" training video. that involved some real life talking an example of one of the skits was gonne be bassicaly me ssaying

"look... Wait, he's gonna jump... buffer your SRK for fuck sake... LOOK let him come to you." (opponent walks to about jump in distance, footsy back/forward walk) "Wait for it... WAIT FOR IT... Get ready" (long pause of back forward walking, my "trainee" shoto shufflin (bassically just tapping down, looks like the scrubby style of preparing the SRK) Ken walks in & kara throws.

this could well be replaced with Zangiefs ludicrous LP throw range. In the end i gave up though, no pheasible way of starting/ending most of the ideas + i think you need the real life aspect to make this stuff funny & i can't record me on a DVD player.

---

It's nuts really... DMC had about a million comedy videos... all of which pretty much revolved around dubbed audio. I never did enjoy them much. DMC's fanbase was relatively childish.

The closest i ever came to making one was a short video of old clips i made to win a (stupid... very stupid) argument with a troll on a forum. God i was gay back then. (In two years i'll probably be saying the same thing about now.
Blazt The Speakerz

Post by Blazt The Speakerz »

These videos below are just some random videos I uploaded today that CSVagrant and I decided not to use in our video projects. This was us just messing around and having fun since during that time we both were learning video editing and etc. Everyone has a different sense of humor so I'm not sure if you'd like this or not but I figured I'd throw it out there for those of you who may find it funny.

These focus on Bison and were just mere concepts that we were playing with, enjoy. -BTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGMFk1Rgww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_wwvUiLlp0

Edit: Forgot to mention, on the first vid, there are two cheats enabled for the non-dizzy and unlimited super bar. These were done using the kawaks emulators with the enabled cheats. Please know the focus of the video was not the combos but was just of the Bison intro.
Last edited by Blazt The Speakerz on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.