Challenge 03: Meaty Move Manipulation Marathon

what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

fullmetalross wrote:Heyyy that was cool...

So I'm gonna post a video!!! wow. Anyways here you guys go, I think this is still correct even though it scores a counter hit. I don't think sagat's cr.fp links to his cr.rh on normal counterhit so blah anywayss clip

http://web.pdx.edu/~koehl/stuff/lvl1-meaty.avi
"You got a purty mouth". nice clip yo!
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

laugh wrote:I made this few months ago and couple of people saw it already. Here's mine.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HH0VB4LJ

Man I totally forgot about that one... I love that combo I want to see that shit in a match! haha.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool, i was wondering if/when laugh was gonna submit that P-Blanka vs Blanka clip. It's a little similar to jchensor's setup but i'll accept it cuz it's a totally different approach. Blanka's s.HP causes -3 HA so it definitely requires a meaty setup.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

That was like a combination of James' and Zen's and mine sorta... But I feel it's different enough to merit getting points. But you said you had "Bengay" for doing it, so you should get less points, haha.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

fullmetalross wrote: But you said you had "Bengay" for doing it, so you should get less points, haha.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ok, just so we're all on the same page - FMR's clip means no more using super move invincibilty for basic meaty setups and Magnetro's clip means no more using special move invincibility for basic meaty setups. I mean, i want to give you guys room to operate but i also don't want to end up with every super in the game being pimped out as a "different" meaty setup.
desk

Post by desk »

can you recap what isn't allowed at this point? thanks :)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sure thing. By the way, you can post a clip even if it isn't allowed, like if you have a favorite variation of something. It's just not likely that you'll earn any points for it.

Fundamental Setups:
Wakeup following a simple knockdown (Magnetro's DP)
Air reeling invincible opponent lands into an extended attack (ShinjiGohan's anti-air s.LP)
Opponent whiffs an attack to go under oncoming attack (jchensor's FB against Dhalsim's c.HP)
Forward-moving attack performed at a distance from opponent (omni's max range MP DP)

Basic Invincibility Setups:
Special move invincibility (Magnetro's Lariat)
Super move startup invincibility (FMR's lvl1 Shinkuu Hadoken)
RC special move invincibility (ZenFire's RC Taunt)

Fairly Elaborate Setups:
Opponent moves forward into an extended attack (HAK's walk into Sagat's c.LK)
Opponent's low attack is parried/justdefended (laugh's parry against Blanka slide)

That covers everything so far. I tried to be as general as possible with the descriptions, but ultimately it's your call if you want to pursue a distinctive variant of an existing idea or if you wanna go in a completely different direction.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Second period is done too. Points from the second period have been posted.

From here on, every accepted entry is going to be worth one point. So if you've been saving up your ideas for the mega pointage, now's the time to cash in. (Did this actually cross anyone's mind? Haha top tier fake point earning strategies!)
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Really thats just a combination of your earlier combo and omni's (or james' depending on how you look at it.. But whatever Maj will be the judge. I had something similar but didnt know if it would be allowed.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It is very similar to a couple of previous clips, but then again it doesn't use invulnerability to delay impact like the previous clips do. Also simple positioning isn't enough to make it work, because Iori definitely can't do that combo against a neutral standing opponent outside of the corner.

I mean, it is pretty clever to take advantage of the low hitbox of ground projectiles. And i do like the fact that it's a midscreen fireball setup, though it's kinda lame that there's no super afterwards.

How about i give it 5/6 of a point to round out Magnetro's weird fractional score? Up to you Magnetro.

In any case, landing on ground projectiles is out from now on. That includes all sorts of stuff like jumping, dashing, Bison's Psycho Crusher, Terry's Crack Shot, blah blah blah.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

No. I want all I have coming to me. You gave whole points to MikeZ and VegaOmega when they submitted their pos MvC2 clips.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha, while that is a fine argument, you've overlooked the fact that i only gave Vega Omega 1 out of 2 possible points. The average of 100% and 50% is 75% which translates to 3/4.

I'm offerring you 5/6 of an ENTIRE POINT!! I think you should be more appreciative of the TOTALLY FREE 1/12 point that i'm throwing in for the sake of calculated diplomatic bribery PURELY out of the kindness of my heart.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Listen, I almost fell asleep playing CvS2, I demand a whole point!

In your face(s)
Maj

Post by Maj »

See, if you had managed to combo into super, the flashing lights would wake you up. Not my fault you don't know how to play CvS2 properly.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Didn't the rules say that the ending to the combo didn't matter?

I didn't want to give you people epileptic seizures by doing the super. Nap time is important. Just learn Marvel like me and you'll totally understand what I'm talking about.

In fact, I demand a whole point and that you round up my fraction of a point so that it is a whole number. C'mon, I had to get out CvS2 from my medicine cabinet under the sleeping pills! You're lucky that I'm (http://www.zachd.com/magnetro) participating anyway.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha dude if you're falling asleep doing CvS2 combos, maybe you should try thinking of less boring combos!

You're right, the ending doesn't matter and it's not a factor in the decision. The decision is based on the fact that your Iori vs Blanka setup is only a tiny variation of your Ryu vs Gief which was only a slight variation of jchensor's Ryo vs Sim setup. C'mon, i thought you said that "marvel players naturally think outside the box."

By the way, using fireballs makes this WAY too easy. After this period, i'm gonna ban projectiles for the rest of the challenge. So if anyone has any ideas that involve using projectiles, better get 'em done by Tuesday.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I don't think it has anything to do with the combos...

I figured the clip I made was unique enough. I guess that's what I get for not knowing CvS2. =P
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Maj wrote:It is very similar to a couple of previous clips, but then again it doesn't use invulnerability to delay impact like the previous clips do. Also simple positioning isn't enough to make it work, because Iori definitely can't do that combo against a neutral standing opponent outside of the corner.

I mean, it is pretty clever to take advantage of the low hitbox of ground projectiles. And i do like the fact that it's a midscreen fireball setup, though it's kinda lame that there's no super afterwards.

How about i give it 5/6 of a point to round out Magnetro's weird fractional score? Up to you Magnetro.

In any case, landing on ground projectiles is out from now on. That includes all sorts of stuff like jumping, dashing, Bison's Psycho Crusher, Terry's Crack Shot, blah blah blah.
Technically I was thinking there was invincibilty in guilty gear terms where because blanka's blanka ball moves his sprite off the ground he has lower body invulnerability. Just so you get where I was coming from. I thought of few new things but the execution is killing me.. Plus I keep thinking its too similar to other stuff posted.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Um, i think Blanka ball is simply airborne so he evades anything under him. Kinda misleading to think of it as invincibility.

I think Guile's F+MK hopkick is closer to the Guilty Gear definition. If you hit him during that animation then he goes into ground hitstun instead of doing an air flip.

Either way, the whole concept of the Iori setup was too smiliar to previous ones. There are still too many possibilities out there for us to start feeling so limited. If you need a little inspiration, watch some classic ST combo videos. Lots of helluva useful fundamental knowledge in those.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

btw i don't think there are normal meatys in mvc2. (trip, mp/hp --> lp/hp) I know its not the right thread for that, but that shows you what kind of knowledge I'm working with. haha.
Maj

Post by Maj »

How is that possible? Not even Cable's F+HK works? I'm pretty sure that Zangief can link after meaty green hand. There's gotta be some normal moves that work too.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

as far as i can tell only specials can be meaty'd. normals aint be workin : (

marvel
Goryus

Post by Goryus »

I suppose it's possible if all the normal moves in Marvel only have 1 active hit frame.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you reject all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I reject yours.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

(Not the right thread but) there hella are meaty normals in MvC2. Firstly you can meaty with anything that you can SEE is active for a while, like Magneto's/Bison's/Jin's/Tron's crouching RH, though you can't juggle after a trip so there's no followup. [edit] People use this in gameplay all the time, doing an early slide with Mags after knockdown so you get up into it but Mags is safe on block. C'mon, Magnetro...
However, there are 'regular' meaties also - Juggernaut's s.Fierce and Twds+Fierce are two. In XSF Twds+Fierce used to be active around his entire body for approximately six months, so they toned it down, but it's still active for a while. Most characters' Fierces and RH's seem to be active for a very long time. Snapbacks are also (see: Amingo's).

Whether or not you can link is a different story - since everything can be cancelled whenever, most hard-hitting normals have an obscene amount of recovery on them. You can link after Bison's and Felicia's Fierces if they're close (Shuma bug), but that doesn't require a meaty.

Last thing - I just remembered about this Wolverine example where you do c.Strong->lunge RH vs. certain chars like Cyke, and they land on the RH, and you can link off it as a juggle. That's a meaty application worthy of this thread. ;^) It was also used in Wolvie's normal combos in MvC1 after setting FS, to get those last few hits.

Mike Z
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

oh yeah, i forgot about the mag one. I only tried moves that aren't slides. my setup was just knocking someone down and sticking the move out. snapbacks are specials so yeah those can sorta work (meaty snapback --> projectile that catches the person before they leave the screen). um you know what I think my setup was fucked up. Imma try just having the people walk into the moves meaty.

-magnetro super scrub
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's it for the third period. Looks like Magnetro is the only person who submitted a clip, so in light of that i'm gonna give him the full point. Also in honor of the valiant fraction which persevered through Magnetro's initial rejection and in the end, earned Magnetro's love.

Ok, fourth period has now begun. As i forewarned earlier, meaty projectiles won't be allowed for the rest of the challenge.

Btw, how long should we keep this going? Has everyone lost interest or just been busy? I had a bunch of ideas for this contest that i could capture and post up, if you guys are done. Or if there's anyone who still wants to participate but simply needs more time to capture a clip, speak up.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Ive tried some stuff with foward advancing moves and such... but haven't been able to get anything to actually work out. Then I had some really crazy advanced ideas that I have sense forgotten and couldn't really get to work in the amount of time I mess with this because i'm in school plus trying to learn adobe premeir and stuff. I really need to record the other clips for the airthrow video too, it's almost next year! ahah anyways sorry enough complaining basically what I was saying was unless brilliant insight hits me I'm tapped out thanks to the way too many things I'm doing phenomenon.