Random Obscure Findings

talk about how great training mode is
Maj

Random Obscure Findings

Post by Maj »

In case any of you ever wants to make an arcade World Warrior combo video and you run into trouble getting the stages you want, check this out. If you insert a coin during the loading sequence when it's telling you the version info, you'll access a different stage when you start the game.

For example, Ryu's first opponent is always Dhalsim, every single time. However if you use this trick, his first opponent becomes Blanka.
Robyrt

Post by Robyrt »

In the same spirit, in an OMF 2097 one-player game, your first opponent is always the pilot whose position on the select screen matches the position of your robot on the select screen. For example, if you are in a Thorn (top middle), your first opponent will be Milano (top middle). If you're in a Nova, it's still Cossette.

This doesn't apply if you pick your own pilot (if you are Milano/Thorn, you won't fight another Milano).
Maj

Post by Maj »

In the SNES WW version of the brick wall stage, it takes six hard attacks to break each of the four sections. You need three hard attacks to crack each section and then three more to break it. But the existing damage is reset when it cracks.

For example, if you do two hard attacks, a medium attack, and another hard attack, the wall will crack but you will still need three hard attacks to break the wall. However, if you do three hard attacks to crack the wall and then do a medium attack on the cracked wall, you can break it with two hard attacks and one light attack.

I didn't test this in any other version, so i'm not sure how the Genesis SCE version or the SSF2 versions behave - which is a good thing cuz nobody cares.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Someone brought up SNES SSF2 Time Challenge strategies in this TASVideos thread and i tried it out using Dee Jay, though i couldn't get my idea to do enough damage to kill. Stumpled upon something kinda interesting though. Turns out his Machine Gun Punch has a crazy unique property.

SNES SSF2 Time Challenge - Dee Jay sample 1
- j.HK, s.MP xx HP Machine Gun Punch (Dhalsim dizzy), crossup j.HK, s.HK xx HP Machine Gun Punch

Normally when you cancel a normal move into a special move, the impact freeze period is unaffected. It'll play out as usual based on the strength of the attack, and then the special move will come out as soon as it's over. However, Dee Jay's Machine Gun Punch bypasses this convention and comes out as soon as you perform it. In the clip, you can't even see s.MP and s.HK connect because i cancel into Machine Gun punch on the frame they connect (as soon as possible without getting a whiffed kara-cancel).

I wonder if this was a programming mistake or if it was intentional. Cuz i'm not really sure how the rest of the hits of the Machine Gun Punch are supposed to be triggered, but mashing as fast as possible seemed to do the trick. I assume that if impact freeze had remained intact, there would be a lot more lenience in triggering all of the hits of the Machine Gun Punch. So maybe it was implemented for balance reasons or something.
desk

Post by desk »

I remember beating the capcom staff record when I was a kid on the snes. I think it was a touch over 6 seconds. There's a couple of quite simple combos you can do with ken to get the time. However (and I only realise this now) The exact combos will some times kill dhalsim and sometimes they won't. Plus the first had to dizzy him and sometimes it didn't. I didn't know why at the time but obviously it's because of the stupid randomness on SF2. I was hella happy when I did it, lol. Jumping around the room and stuff :oops: Man, that was a looooong time ago.

EDIT: those ken combos were awesome!! well done :)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha awesome story. I don't think i ever beat the Capcom record back when i had a working 16-bit console. The version of SF that i grew up on was SF2: Special Champion Edition for Sega Genesis. I spent all my time trying to beat the game on 8 stars difficulty without losing around. Think i managed to pull it off with Ryu, Ken, Guile, Sagat, and maybe Bison.

We were talking about something earlier and somehow ended up on the subject of bonus point scoring during Time Over combos. Figured i'd add that to the list here.

Basically after time runs out, no more damage can be inflicted on either character's lifebar. However, all successful attacks are still counted against the opponent's vitality score. There are two examples of this in NKI's Volume IX - Evolution 2006 Special at 2:43 and 2:57 back-to-back. Dhalsim and Fei Long both take enough damage to get killed, as demonstrated by the super death explosion. Then they get up into their victory animation as the game shows they have 0 vital bonus points.

Speaking of that video, check out 1:44 where Guile's wife and daughter rush in to prevent him from killing Bison. They have no legs! Is it weird that Capcom artists decided to make them float like that with no legs? Or is it pure literary genius?!? Think about this for a minute ... What if Guile's family isn't really there? Maybe it's all in his head, which would kinda explain why they're floating around like ghosts. So then the whole story is a lot more morose than it seems at first sight, kind of like The Machinist. Guile actually has no hope of regaining their trust after deserting them, but he has to conjure up their intervention in order to prevent himself from killing Bison. Even though he has nothing left to live for, somewhere inside he realizes that it would be a huge mistake to commit murder.

Or maybe he's already committed the mistake and Sonic Boomed Bison's legs off! See, it's all psychological man!
felineki

Post by felineki »

I think Dictator's headstomp has that "hitstop-bypassing" property as well. Some scenes in a TZW vid made it look that way, at any rate.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Maj wrote:Speaking of [NKI Volume IX], check out 1:44 where Guile's wife and daughter rush in to prevent him from killing Bison. They have no legs!
Can't quite tell if you realize this or not, but that's actually a glitch. Normally there is a black bar across the bottom of the screen. (This black bar is for the characters' dialogue.) However, using a horrible glitch in the Dreamcast version of ST, several layers of sprites are "removed", that black bar being one of them. Same glitch exists in the home versions of A2, strangely enough.

Also notice that Dic's body is just a torso...no legs.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Speaking of hitstop-bypassing, for those who didn't read my posts in that other thread;

Storm in X-Men:CotA can bypass hitstop on any normal move by canceling into another move with 1F (just-frame) timing. By far the easiest way to do it in game is to mash c.LK for a while until you get the timing down, then you'll see she will randomly hits twice in rapid succession. This allows for an easy c.LK infinite using c.LK's and normal ground dashes repeatedly. However the timing is different for each move, so it's not humanly possible to do complicated strings with this technique.

However, this does mean that she can perform quite a few otherwise-impossible combos and links using this with just-frame timing.

I don't know if such a glitch exists for Storm in any other game, but somehow I highly doubt it.

---

In SFA3 command throws gain some special properties while the character is activated in VC mode (v-ism). While it's well known that opponents can be grabbed off the ground, and probably well known that opponents can be grabbed during hitstun, and also well known they can be grabbed out of blockstun. One interesting semi-obscure finding I stumbled on is that opponents can also be grabbed during pre-jump animation, which is not normally possible. A character can actually be frozen in pre-jump animation during the activation screen-freeze and still be caught by the following command throw once the screen un-freezes. The only use of this I can think of is performing a tick throw setup that would normally give opponents enough time to escape by jumping, while in VC is not escapable. Activating post-tick (pre-throw) would also make it inescapable provided the activation is fast enough.

Such as, Karin c.LP activate, command throw (freezes during pre-jump animation).

Also in Alpha3, this may or may not be obscure anymore, but I doubt more than a handful of people really know about it outside of Japan. While in VC mode, Dhalsim can perform a yoga flame, then immediately teleport, which will cause a strange "glitch", wherein the flame will follow Dhalsim's position during the teleport. This actually greatly improved Dhalsim's midscreen VC and can even be used for a corner VC.

One last obscure A3 tidbit. Technically in SFA3 arcade, no one has a VC that can transition them from a ground move to an air move (enabling crouch cancel series) without a frame gap transition, enabling the opponent to air recover (tech flip), except two characters. The semi-obvious one being Rolento who has a command jump (his super jump) which allows him to transition from ground to air seamlessly. The other being Chun-Li which, for some bizarre reason, can transition from a well timed whiffed LK (so that the shadow hits) into a jump without the opponent being able to tech. Oddly, however, this appears to not be a true "gapless" transition as proven by Hyper SFA, which appears in the SFAA disc. Wherein, if when Chun-Li performs this VC against a non-A3 character the shadow will whiff 100% of the time, suggesting that a gap occurs before the shadow actually hits.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Incidentally, I'm also privvy to an incredible cornucopia of random tidbits regarding Melty Blood, which have been passed to me by Ikusat and Veteru.

But, they are all mostly useless tidbits that I doubt anyone in their right mind actually cares about.
Maj

Post by Maj »

NKI wrote:Also notice that Dic's body is just a torso...no legs.
Haha, that didn't fit into my literary theory so i conveniently left it out.
Xenozip. wrote:Storm in X-Men:CotA can bypass hitstop on any normal move by canceling into another move with 1F (just-frame) timing.
Only Storm can do that? Any idea why?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:Only Storm can do that? Any idea why?
Possible theory, her attacks can be whiff canceled by following the magic chain, so you can actually cancel each attack in the chain into the next one before the previous one completes. But Storm's normals usually include some sort of electricity or wind or something added to it, so my theory was even though the move itself is canceled the "effect" persists for 1F after the cancel, which allows the hit, but bypasses the hitstun. Therefor each attack never really completes, but the little bullets she shoots persist long enough to hit the opponent.

That's just a theory anyway. Your guess is as good as mine for why it's "just her".
Maj

Re: Random Obscure Findings

Post by Maj »

Taunting in console CvS2 is performed by pressing LK+Start. It's also possible to hold LK then press Start, which can work as a kara-cancel too. As a result of this command, it's impossible to pause the game while holding LK.

I've got a few combos recorded in VMU Replay Saves where i start off by using Taunts to build as much meter as i need, so i was holding LK continuously for like 20 seconds. Turns out that it's impossible to pause the game during this period even during a replay. It came as kind of a relief actually - i thought my Start button was breaking. It's still possible to pause the game using the other controller, but then the replay has to be launched using the other controller because CvS2 only pays attention to one controller during replays.
Maj

Post by Maj »

While trying to figure out how certain rapid fire attacks animate in ST in order to them for my latest video, i happened to notice something wierd about Cammy. She has two startup frames on her far s.LK which only show up at the beginning of a chain. Mashing s.LK uses her recovery frame as the intermediate animation instead. Seems kinda crazy to put that much effort into sprites that are on the screen for one frame only - practically impossible to notice at full speed.
Maj

Post by Maj »

In CvS2, Geese's F+HP and Vice's far s.HP can pass through one another and nobody gets hurt.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Apparently i'm not old enough to know about OG Zangief combos but certain people are, except they're all saving that shit for nationals so i had to find it the hard way. Now i'm gonna share the wealth. WW Zangief's c.LK isn't rapid fire, but for whatever reason he can chain c.LK into c.LP which turns the c.LP into c.LK animation, and he can keep pressing c.LP to get more c.LK looking things. This only works as long as the c.LK and the subsequent c.LP's connect, because once it whiffs you can't cancel it anymore. Gief can also cancel c.LK into s.LP which looks like a standard s.LP but still doesn't make any sense.

World Warrior is so random!!

Let's see, WW Guile can't cancel out of chains into special moves at all, not even CPS1 chains, not even using renda-kara-cancels. Yet Shotos seem to be able to cancel out of chains without any problems, as long as they switch from standing to crouching or vice versa. Chun Li seems to have only one cancelable attack which is s.HP, and canceling it into either of her special moves bypasses hit impact freeze entirely. Honda, Blanka, Gief, and Sim have no cancelable normals whatsoever and yet Gief has the craziness mentioned above. Why is everyone in WW such a unique snowflake? That is, except for Ryu and Ken who are identical clones.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Everything you just posted is totally retarded.
laugh

Post by laugh »

Maj wrote: Honda, Blanka, Gief, and Sim have no cancelable normals whatsoever and yet Gief has the craziness mentioned above.
I am so sure Sim in WW can cancel his close low forward into yoga fire. I've been hit by that shit over and over in the corner while playing as guile, so I must be correct.
CC that shit
Maj

Post by Maj »

In the SF2 series, if Bison's Headstomp knocks the opponent into the air, Bison becomes unable to perform the follow-up. This includes hitting someone out of the air while they're jumping, killing the opponent, and dizzying the opponent.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ever wondered why WW Shotos can never seem to combo two Hurricane Kick hits? Apparently that move causes a special kind of hitstun wherein the opponent is completely invincible until they recover, at which point they can block. Total buzzkill. The one game where Ryu's Hurricane Kick doesn't knock down and he can't even do anything cool with it.
desk

Post by desk »

so is that the same with hundred hands slaps and lighting legs?

I would love to see a set up that uses a HK to make a fireball go straight through someone... actually I might have to do that myself.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Interesting!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Maybe this is common knowledge, but performing MSF Zangief's j.D+MK on his very first jump frame causes him to cancel the jump. It looks like he crouches but it causes the landing dust wave. When MSF Mega Gief does it, the ground shakes. It works with superjump as well. Maybe he can use it to do fancy pseudo-suki combos, but i dunno cuz i'm not making a Gief vid.
NKI

Post by NKI »

The knee is one of those air moves that stays active throughout your entire jump, until you reach the ground. So I guess they coded it such that if you're doing the knee and you're one frame away from the ground, you land. They didn't bother to check whether you're on your way up or on your way down.

My guess would be that the splash behaves the same way.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

That's highly amusing. And yeah it sounds like it could work to do a hit > SJC > 1F knee > hit
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Can you add up the ground shakes by doing a bunch in a row?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah you can do a bunch of 'em in a row and the screen will shake continuously. Pretty funny.

Found another weird thing about the Marvel series. I wanted to do a Taunt after MvC1 Ryu's super FB and he kept ducking as he recovered from the super which made the transition look jittery and got on my nerves. Figured there was no way around it so i ignored it until i happened to notice that he doesn't do that ducking thing when i perform the super manually.

Turns out that if you do the D, DF, F+PPP command in three frames, he's still ducking when he starts the super since it takes a few frames to go from crouching to standing animation. So when he recovers from the super, he goes back to the state he was in before he started the super. Which, by the way, is helluva fucking weird but then again it's Marvel.

Putting a pause after the F input to give Ryu time to fully stand up before initiating the super eliminated the crouching upon recovery.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I've been analyzing Jojo's. I guess that's random and obscure.

Warning: great wall of text in xenospeak.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Did you guys know that ST Balrog has some fucked up chains off low short? Normally (at the beginning of a round), c.LK is not chainable into anything. However, If you connect/whiff a low jab and then attempt to chain c.LK into c.LP, it'll magically work.

What's even crazier is that if you do a standing jab beforehand, then try chaining c.LK into c.LP, Balrog will cancel the low short into a standing jab instead. You can keep holding D and mashing LP, and Rog will keep doing standing jabs. You can even charge for Headbutt while this is going on. You don't know about them tricks!

Apparently this bug was in classic ST and it transfered over into HD Remix cuz i originally found it in HDR and then confirmed it in ST.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I don't know if this is an HD glitch or its in normal st, but cammy (and apparently fei long) have to randomly block sagats standing short low.