Anyone Going to Evo? (Tournament Meetup Thread!)

stay up to date on what's going on
desk

Re: If you are going to Evo

Post by desk »

rahhh, it was really great to meet everyone finally. I agree magnetro, next time we should hang out more, maybe go for food or something. On the last day I was actively looking for people to say goodbye to but realised there was no chance, lol.

oh yeah and i decided I did want that Ppad but after that I didn't bump into you again, haha. I don't even know why I thought twice, just scared I might have run out of money.

I think I was mostly too tired to string proper sentences together so if I didn't say much or didn't make sense sometimes, it's not because I'm mental. It's just so hard to adapt to such a different time zone, even after a couple of days. I had so much fun, I really hope i can make it again next year.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

What were your living arrangements, costs, money you took down for spending?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

desk wrote:rahhh, it was really great to meet everyone finally. I agree magnetro, next time we should hang out more, maybe go for food or something. On the last day I was actively looking for people to say goodbye to but realised there was no chance, lol.

oh yeah and i decided I did want that Ppad but after that I didn't bump into you again, haha. I don't even know why I thought twice, just scared I might have run out of money.

I think I was mostly too tired to string proper sentences together so if I didn't say much or didn't make sense sometimes, it's not because I'm mental. It's just so hard to adapt to such a different time zone, even after a couple of days. I had so much fun, I really hope i can make it again next year.
yeah, awesome meeting you. maybe next year we can get food with maj <3 <3
--
Oh man! Sorry, I sold it on Sunday! : (
--
Gun Crime lololololol

-----

sorry goryos :( :( :(
desk

Post by desk »

gun crime... Did you notice even my UK friends couldn't understand what I was saying??? lol. I live so far from london that my accent is completely different. I actually have to imitate them so they can understand me half the time.

yeah, really gutted maj wasn't in attendance. We should definitely all get together and do something next year though. I just have to start saving my cash now.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

Sounds like I missed out. Next year is definitely a possiblity for me though. Hey Desk, how did you end up doing? Did you play any big names?
desk

Post by desk »

I won most of the games in my ST bracket, think I lost in the losers final (against someone I'd already played... I hate double elim!!!!arghhh!!!). Someone told me that's joint 17th with about 200 other people, lol. I actually had a 20 and 34 win streak earlier on that day, which i was very happy with. I'm still not familiar with all of my match ups though so that didn't help.

I sucked in cvs2, I wrote lots of moaning post over at NE.com about how crap it was, lol. Evo kind of put me off that game for foreseeable future.

You should 100% try to attend next year, we're trying to get an even bigger posse of UK heads along next time and it will no doubt be awesome.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

desk wrote:I sucked in cvs2, I wrote lots of moaning post over at NE.com about how crap it was, lol. Evo kind of put me off that game for foreseeable future.
rofl. What is it specifically?

For me it's mostly Iori, but fighting the common A-teams make me facepalm too.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Im trying to make next year.
laugh

Post by laugh »

I met with a lot of you fools at Evo. Where's all the "I met laugh at evo" posts at? j/k. I also met Toxy but I had forgotten that he was on his forums too. lol. It's all my fault for not coming here for a long ass time.

It was nice meeting you Desk. We shoulda played some cvs2 since that's what qualified for. I love that game.

I hella ran into Magnetro the whole weekend. Good seeing you again dude.

James Chen is a hardworking man but a smiling one at that. I was wondering why Combofiend's teeth was all nasty in the interview vid. Maybe you know why. It was hella funny btw.
CC that shit
desk

Post by desk »

yeah, great to meet you dude. Sucks that we only got to play 3s, for like 1 game.

I hate 3s.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sounds like you fellas just about starved to death without me. I'll have to show up next year to reclaim my job as combo video maître d'.
laugh

Post by laugh »

Desk - I know. Coincidentally, the only match we got to play was a game we mutually hated.

Maj - You and I need to play some cvs2. It's like your favorite game, and it for sure is mine. Either Socal or Evo would do. I wanna play your Guile in a match. Choi's Guile locked me down pretty bad this Evo.
CC that shit
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm down, even though i'm horribly out of practice and won't have any chance to work on not sucking anytime soon. Playing against my Guile might still be interesting, though you'll probably CC through the rest of my team without getting hit. Confession: i never actually figured out how to play Sagat.

Post here the next time you know you're going to FFA and i'll try to meet you there. If it's late at night, i won't need much advance warning. Otherwise, a day in advance should be good.
laugh

Post by laugh »

Ah, cool. We should definitely do it, possibly at FFA since it's been forever since the last time I went there to actually play cvs2.
CC that shit
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Desk.

and

Chen... in super mode.
desk

Post by desk »

that's awesome!!! I'm going to put that on the calcius myspace immediately. :)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

desk wrote:that's awesome!!! I'm going to put that on the calcius myspace immediately. :)
LOL snap, you responded pretty quick man. I uhh, corrected a few oopsies from when I posted it before. If you refresh the old link you should get an updated version. OTL

Hahaha.

PS. ROFL @ the youtube userpage description.
desk

Post by desk »

lol sweet, correct spelling. thanks man.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

More Desk. Less typos.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Maybe i understood it wrong, but isn't Calcius Repton the name of the band? Won't the other guy get angry at being left out of the official band artwork? Tune in next time to find out!
desk

Post by desk »

xenozip, all that stuff is really awesome, don't actually feel deserving of it, lol. Thanks dude :).

I did mention to denzel (the drummer) that we had some 'fan art' but I didn't say anything about him not being in there, haha. i'm sure he won't be too offended :lol:
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Pffft.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

not worth making a thread but im posting it here since this appears to be the thread with the most traffic.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/ ... e/?start=0 <~ shogos arcade in socal (simi valley) close to maj/james chen and some other random people form here.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Denjin Arcade thread on SRK
Shogo wrote:Denjin Arcade in Simi Valley

995 East Los Angeles Ave
Simi Valley, CA 93065

Sunday - Wednesday: 10am - Midnight
Thursday - Saturday: 10am - 1am
According to maps.yahoo, it's 31 minutes away from me and 42 minutes away from jchensor. By comparison, FFA is only 18 minutes away from me. Of course i'm down to go see what Shogo has built, but i can't imagine becoming a regular when it's hella far from me and everyone else i know.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So who's going to Evo2k9? We should get together for the (3rd?) Annual Combo Video Lunch on Saturday. I'll be available all day Friday, all day Saturday, and until maybe 1:30pm Sunday because i gotta be on the road heading back by 2:30pm at the latest.

I don't really care about any of the tournaments, unless one of you guys or one of my Cali heroes makes it into Top 8. (Of a Street Fighter game.)
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I'm going. I'll be bringing this thing, too: http://www.ankes-chilishop.de/images/pr ... es/4_0.jpg
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's it? Nobody else is going besides Magnetro on a suicide-by-hotsauce mission?

You guys are gonna miss Street Fighter Four! Don't quote me on this but i heard it's in three dee.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

actually I'm going this year too. though I completely forgot which games I registered for lol
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I'll be there. Life has caught up with me recently, but I'll be there.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Alright, next year, we gotta do a better job when it comes to meeting up at Evo. Up until i got home, i was under the impression that only about five of us attended Evo2k9. Turns out NKI, jchensor, Magnetro, ShinjiGohan, fullmetalross, Goryus, Mike Z, Kamui, Dj-B13, laugh, buktooth, gilley, Jinrai, sicdic, and MrWizard were all there! Dunno about everyone else, but i saw less than half of those people and only talked to five of you guys for longer than 10 minutes.

Seriously, amateur hour status. Next year let's figure out a time slot when more than half of us are free and at least try to get lunch or dinner or something. It'll be worthwhile, trust me.