Side Projects aka plug whatever you want

stay up to date on what's going on
Dammit

Re: Side Projects aka plug whatever you want

Post by Dammit »

Damn, choreography and transitions are killer and the beats are good too.

Not a fan of the infomercial style editing though.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nice, got posted on SRK too. Keits had the names as "BiffOTasty and Error1" but i got 'em fixed.

I like what you guys did with the rounds, keeping score through the transitions. Red parries at 1:21 are awesome. Weird that you can't see/hear Ryu blocking at all. Switching sides again at 2:16 was a nice touch too.

So uh ... how come my name's in this video?
error1

Post by error1 »

In my mind this totally justifies the existence of eventhubs. I sent this to ipw and it was posted on srk early on. I sent it to event hubs last on a whim thinking no one was interested in anything but ssf4 and this would only get around 1000 views. 16k later and It's seriously looking like the best way to get combo videos out there for people who can't post them directly to srks front page. Even if they didn't care for my last one

Yah I knew starting out that I would need to parry that super. He only blocks for a couple frames but you can see the hit spark from it
Dammit wrote: Not a fan of the infomercial style editing though.
I normally can't stand editing but I really think the transitions are the best part of the video
Maj

Post by Maj »

Existence, yes. All their bullshit policies, no. There are lots of news sites out there doing the same exact thing with more class. There's no reason they're at the top, other than luck and superior search engine optimization.

Plus this specific instance boils down to luck too. They happened to have an update slot open at the time, so they ran your tip. On SRK's side, Keits happened to be away all weekend so he didn't get a chance to browse SRK. He must've wanted to update in a hurry so he just took a shortcut and checked eventhubs first.

It's not that hard to get stuff posted on SRK. Either write an article and post a link in this thread or contact Keits directly. Eventhubs steals more shit from SRK than vice versa, so if something gets posted on SRK it'll end up on eventhubs too. I don't see why eventhubs deserves any praise in all this. It's not generosity on their part. They're not helping you any more than you're helping them.
error1

Post by error1 »

I suppose srk is just as likely to be early to the party as to be late
good idea with the "Would You Like to Contribute Something to the Front Page?" thread. Nomination didn't seem appropriate for something like this but pming keits seems like a good option I'll try next time
error1

Post by error1 »

This is a fighting game tas right?
It turns out the trick to getting a good time was to do more then 140 red damage and less then 141
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10846
Raging Hawk

Post by Raging Hawk »

back in business, after quite some time! It's this time a 66 Minute long Nuskool and Progressive Breaks MIx. a Genre, that I really like and listen mostly to.

Well, I listen to any kind of Music, but this Genre, is one of my favourite one's, with some others like, Drum & Bass, Funk, House, Donwtempo.

Tracklist:

01: Stereo 8 - Get Above Yourself
02: HiHat - Killer Profit (Kultür & Colombo Remix)
03: General Midi - On The Run
04: Probspot - Heatsink (Original)
05: BSD - Paramnesia (Original Mix)
06: Daft Punk vs Age of Love - The Age of Punk (Daft Love)
07: Precision Cuts - Another World (Original Mix)
08: Breakzhead - The Dream Prayer (Original Mix)
09: Cut & Run - One More Time (Breaks Remix)
10: Beta - One (Breaks mix)
11: Steelzawheelz - P-Fonk (Splitloop Remix)
12: BSD - Party Groove (Breaks Phenomenon) (Original)
13: Phil Fuldner - Miami Pop (Big Little Breaks Edit)
14: BSD - Hard-n-Bass (Original Mix)
15: Mylo - Drop the Pressure (Kid Kenobi & Pocket Remix)

Download: The Old and New Generation of Breaks Image

enjoy it, and have a good time while listening it!
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Listening to it now, really good stuff man! :)

Very well mixed and beatmatched, good volume levels for the whole thing. What do you use to make these?
Raging Hawk

Post by Raging Hawk »

CPS2 wrote: What do you use to make these?
Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer, but I'm gonna change to ableton in the near future, and use MP3 Dj Decks then!
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Sounds good man =] post pics of your setup once you've got the decks... I really want to get some digital turntables and traktor or something like that... at some point :)
Maj

Post by Maj »

I've already mentioned this, but i'm helping my friends with a film project called Balrog: Behind the Glory. Here's everything that's available now.

Balrog: Behind the Glory Movie Poster (and description)

Evo 2001 Preview Trailer (with BBTG poster cameo at 1:07)

Promo Newspaper Article (featuring Greg Bison - Balrog's father)

I think the plan is to release more promo images every week through that twitter account. Not sure if we're doing a teaser/trailer yet. But if we do, it'll be very short, simple, and modest.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I noticed that the movie poster on the site has a PG-13 rating - I'm guessing you guys just put that there to complete the authentic look, right? Or did the MPAA have to look at it?
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's funny, i hadn't even noticed it until just now. But yeah it's purely for cosmetic purposes, because the editing still isn't finished and wasn't even close back when that poster was released.

It's actually very strange, the ways in which this film is hella authentic and the ways it's hella ghetto. I'm not even talking about pro vs scrub. I'm talking about formally official vs ... well, ghetto is the right word.
onReload

Post by onReload »

haha well you sure use that word a lot, so it can get hard to tell; but i'm guessing this time it has more to do with compensating for a low budget than with the crappiness of dan's dankukyaku
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay i don't want to scare anyone away, but here's another short by my friend Vahe, the director of BBTG:

Grammar Class (fair warning: contains hella nsfw language)

Greg (the producer of BBTG) is in it too, but it was written by the director's friend and not Brett (the writer of BBTG). This was filmed a while ago, but they had it private for a long time. I wasn't there but i heard they had all kinds of complicated camera setups.
onReload

Post by onReload »

It's not just the variety of angles, the quick editing makes it really tense, which is impressive when you consider the ... amazing amount of sense it made! Really well done - favorited, actually...though I don't always favorite the smartest things in the world, it can take a lot for me to sit down and enjoy someone-who-I-don't-know's 7 minute short...and probably subsequently force other people to watch it
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dang, that's a pretty good review. Alright i'm posting it on twitter too. Hope there aren't any 8-year-old kids following me.
onReload

Post by onReload »

As far as the internet goes, yeah that's a thumbs up ^...I like seeing original content that isn't connected to some humor/entertainment/bored-at-work site (though YouTube is kinda like that, I just mean your friends aren't doing some viral video shit)...not that I disrespect anyone who picks up the offers, it just feels like web 2.0 is devoid of fun exploration, so diamonds in the rough are awesome. I can at least pretend I have no idea how I found this video.

...and it's promising for the Balrog movie. I admit I was a bit skeptical because Chicken on a Pizza was decent (well-made for sure), but it didn't seem like those dudes were out-there enough to pull off a videogame-themed short film that wouldn't have me rolling my eyes after every line. So I'm hoping BBTG is straight-facedly ridiculous (its promo stuff is definitely straight-faced, i hope evo kids know what they're in for), and I'm sure it's gonna be great on a technical level.
Maj

Post by Maj »

At this point i have no idea what the initial reaction will be, but i think people watching at home will enjoy it. Might be one of those films that doesn't leave an amazing first impression, but you end up liking it in retrospect. It's not exactly an "Evo hype" movie, but you never know.

A lot of it depends on people's expectations. If you ask yourself, "How would i film a Balrog fight with barely any money and a small crew?" then you might be impressed. If you're expecting Hollywood, then probably not.

Anyway here are the rest of the inserts/promos leading up to Evo:

Promo Gossip Magazine Excerpt (featuring Tim Tashun - Balrog's trainer/manager)

Shadaloo Book Advertisement (written by Micah Schulze - an investigative journalist)

And here are some photos taken during the shoot that we thought looked cool:

Location Shot #1 (random boxing gym)

Location Shot #2 (decommissioned prison)

Production Shot #1 (Balrog training with Tim Tashun)

Production Shot #2 (Balrog training with Tim Tashun)

It was pretty crazy when that guy walked into the room with his hair styled like Balrog.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I magically stumbled upon the 12 minute video on youtube at the Chubbyboyfilms. I watched it in 240p for 30 seconds, but decided to refresh to see it in hd, so when I refreshed, it said it was set to private. I was like, NO!!!!!!! :( lol, oh well. I'll have to wait a few hours then.
Last edited by Snoooootch on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah that was an accident. Vahe called me asking why there were 9 views and 1 comment, but he mentioned it was you so i was like "Don't worry, he's cool." Anyway as long as nobody acts like a douchebag and rips the video in the next three hours, we're still in a good shape.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Just saw the Balrog movie, that was awesome :)
Lots of funny references, great direction and acting. I want to show my friend who's about to finish film school...
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

I also loved the Bison movie. Though seems the actor who played Bison and the other guy don't know how to fight boxing properly, yes? Not big deal on it, though, but would look cooler if they had prior boxing training to look slightly more realistic but with the dramatization included a-la Rocky. :P

What was the reaction of the crowd about this film, though?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Crowd loved it. Those guys both had boxing experience and both trained for weeks with a professional choreographer before the fight, and we paid quite a bit of money for a half-hour window to film in a ring in front of an audience during an actual boxing event. Not to seem like i'm rejecting criticism, but what you're saying is this film could've used a bigger budget and obviously i agree.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Maj wrote:Crowd loved it. Those guys both had boxing experience and both trained for weeks with a professional choreographer before the fight, and we paid quite a bit of money for a half-hour window to film in a ring in front of an audience during an actual boxing event. Not to seem like i'm rejecting criticism, but what you're saying is this film could've used a bigger budget and obviously i agree.
Regardless, it was a real awesome job as an indie film. Any word from Capcom to it?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thank you sir. We talked to some people at Capcom and it seemed like they liked the movie as well as the crowd reaction, but it seems like there's a ton of bureaucracy involved. So it might take a while before we know whether or not it's possible to get any kind of support/funding from them.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Wow, saw that BBTG got onto IGN's YouTube channel, and they anno-linked* the ChubbyBoyFilms channel...gonna be good for y'all (or them?) but are they really that interested in doing more SF stuff? I personally would hate to see a small film group get pigeon-holed into it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It took a lot of negotiating on Greg's part to make that happen, but essentially they offered to embed the CBF channel version as a news item on IGN in exchange for reposting BBTG on IGN's u2b channel. Anyway i'm more or less in the loop with what Greg's up to, but not following super-closely. He basically knows what he's doing - or rather, neither of us know what we're doing.
Maj

Post by Maj »

And to clear up any confusion, Balrog: Behind the Glory was Chubby Boy Productions' first official project. It was written by Brett Bayonne and produced/funded by Greg Germenian out of his own pocket. So it's basically their baby.

BBTG was directed by Vahe Gabuchian, who also happens to be one half of Royal Brown Films. The other half is Julian Camillieri, who wrote Chicken on a Pizza and Grammar Class. Julian wasn't involved in BBTG at all, because he was in Chicago at the time.

All four of these guys have been friends going all the way back to high school, so they're involved in each others' projects all the time - which means the line between CBP and RBF is kinda blurry. But Vahe and Julian are in the middle of trying to make a two-hour movie whereas Greg and Brett are trying to get Capcom (or whoever) to support their next (Street Fighter) project (because Greg is totally broke now).
onReload

Post by onReload »

if they really think they pull off another, they should start up some kind of fundraiser, even a kickstarter.com kinda thing...you know the FGC will always support the things they want (hi, i'm a broke twenty-something and i'd like to buy the same game 5 times, please)