SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

video previews, releases, and feedback
Pokey86

Re: SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

Post by Pokey86 »

Snoooootch wrote:I'm wondering if you found an incredibly meaty set up for his close f+hk. And, perhaps a Max sonic boom combo that ends with a post KO st. jab, cancelled into sonic boom, then end with a last juggle or something. And maybe an awesome Air grab sequence. And possibly a triple st. hp combo on Abel. haha

I'm excited that this is the last one, making it official that they are finished!
Can't do special moves post KO
Maj

Post by Maj »

The problem with post-KO specials is that you'd have to finish the command input for Sonic Boom before the s.LP connects. Charge characters typically need to keep charging during impact freeze in order to maximize the number of special moves they can squeeze into a combo. So one way or the other, post-KO gimmicks wouldn't help increase the number of Sonic Booms in a combo.

It's a moot point anyway. SF4 Guile can't compete with SSF4 Guile in a Sonic Booming contest.
error1

Post by error1 »

Yeah it's almost pointless to do a generic max boom combo beacuse that extra 5 frames of charge time would cut the number of booms in half.
I'd like to see if you can do anything with my ch hp, sonicboom, dash lp combo vs sakura. There is just enough hitstun in the hp+sonic boom to do it without the ch in theory I think, but you would need the boom to hit max meaty.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

also, as a daft quirk, guiles Far stand HP is cancellable in to Super.
Maj

Post by Maj »

error1 wrote:I'd like to see if you can do anything with my ch hp, sonicboom, dash lp combo vs sakura. There is just enough hitstun in the hp+sonic boom to do it without the ch in theory I think, but you would need the boom to hit max meaty.
That was my favorite thing in your Guile video. I wasn't planning on trying anything further with it, but i'll give it a shot.

Pokey86 wrote:also, as a daft quirk, guiles Far stand HP is cancellable in to Super.
Yup, i've already got something ghetto in mind for that.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Yup, i've already got something ghetto in mind for that.
Nice, it's not often i enjoy a Guile combo, i personally find him a bit tiresome. but when i saw that in a live game i got that little spark you occasionally get when you see something you want to figure something out with... But i suck with Guile.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

If you use Super a lot, try to include the cross-up, 2-hit, final hit whiffs Ultra, it looks so lol.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

I looked into midcombo dashes and those were the only two I thought of, but it's one of those things where it feels like it should have potential for more.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Doopliss wrote:If you use Super a lot, try to include the cross-up, 2-hit, final hit whiffs Ultra, it looks so lol.
That's highly situational, isn't it? Though I'm also a big fan of when you get the last hit of U1 to hit backwards while in the cinematic view. I used to do it all the time in Vanilla, should try it in 2012
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:
Doopliss wrote:If you use Super a lot, try to include the cross-up, 2-hit, final hit whiffs Ultra, it looks so lol.
That's highly situational, isn't it? Though I'm also a big fan of when you get the last hit of U1 to hit backwards while in the cinematic view. I used to do it all the time in Vanilla, should try it in 2012
If you just do Super to ultra in the corner with the right timing, it will happen. At least on Dan. Happens to me sometimes when I do trial 24.

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Some people I know insist that you can simply FADC FK into Ultra, normally when grounded. Maybe cancelled from s.HP or something, allowing you maximum charge time before the FK, then dash as late as possible from the FA? I dunno.

Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't think that's possible, at least not in vanilla SF4. It's close, but the ultra looks like it's a couple of frames away from connecting.

On another disappointing note, fireballs always connect before regular hits on the same frame. I think i discovered this a long time ago, but i vaguely remember it working out in my favor back then, whereas now it means a whole bunch of TZW Guile setups are invalid.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Gonna be dumb and ask "Why does that matter?"
Maj

Post by Maj »

If the projectile hits second, then it nullifies the pushback from the physical hit and you get to stay closer. If the projectile hits first, then you get nothing out of the setup except one extra hit with no special properties, which is damn near worthless.

It might still be possible to set this up by knocking someone down/dizzy and making an LP Sonic Boom miss them by 1 frame, then using a physical attack to knock them into the Sonic Boom to make sure the projectile hits second. But that type of shit is pretty tricky to do in most games, so it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be impossible or only works against some random character like Blanka.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Maj wrote:
Doopliss wrote:Some people I know insist that you can simply FADC FK into Ultra, normally when grounded. Maybe cancelled from s.HP or something, allowing you maximum charge time before the FK, then dash as late as possible from the FA? I dunno.
I don't think that's possible, at least not in vanilla SF4. It's close, but the ultra looks like it's a couple of frames away from connecting.
Nevermind, it's totally possible. You just can't do it using s.HP xx Flash Kick, but you can do it using c.MP xx Flash Kick.

This is how it's done: charge D, c.LP, tap U, charge DB, DB+MP, DB+HK, DB+MP+MK, FADC, ultra.

The reason s.HP doesn't work is because you have to be in neutral for that frame, so it limits when you can start pre-charging the ultra. You also need to keep Guile busy with c.LP or something else so that he doesn't jump when you tap U for the Flash Kick.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Nice. You'll use that I presume? I wanna see it in action.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, i had "s.HPxxFKxxFADC, backwards ultra" scribbled down as a potential ender to a ghetto/funny combo that will probably take me an entire weekend to actually record. Now that i think about it, there might be a better way to put those pieces together. I just hope i can still finish it all by the end of the month.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Out of curiosity, who insisted that it would be possible and what were they basing that on?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj wrote:Out of curiosity, who insisted that it would be possible and what were they basing that on?
A dude in my local community was talking about that you should pick U1 with Guile, don't remember the details. I was like "No, you pick U2 with Guile, coz that's the one you can FADC into" and he was like "Nu-uh, it's U1 he can FADC into". I mean, he's still wrong since you'd need TA to do it consistently (right?), but he was right in similar discussions before since he apparently watch more videos than me (He mentioned the Lei palm loop before I ever saw it, so I of course assumed he was making stuff up), so I decided to not just disregard it.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah it's way too complicated to be considered practical by any means. I'm guessing he just had the ultra numbers mixed up, or maybe he was thinking of some superfreeze recharge setup.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So you can't knock the wing off the airplane until it comes to a complete stop and finishes bobbling?
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj wrote:So you can't knock the wing off the airplane until it comes to a complete stop and finishes bobbling?
yep
onReload

Post by onReload »

fun fact: zangief can only knock the wing off by doing his U2. /shrug
error1

Post by error1 »

onReload wrote:fun fact: zangief can only knock the wing off by doing his U2. /shrug
He can knock it off with U1.
Or air lariat if you're a fun-haver.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

onReload wrote:fun fact: zangief can only knock the wing off by doing his U2. /shrug
Neither can the twins. When playing Smileymike and goofing around, I tried everything to hit the wing with Yang and nothing worked. Maybe his U2 will, but I chose U1 to link st. lp to U1. (lol)

Then Yang's up kicks do not reach, so I don't know what else will other than maybe an U2 with full animation with correct spacing.
Making no profit since 1987...
onReload

Post by onReload »

it was really frustrating to not see gief's headbutts work. i mean it's right there!

i'll probably play around with this. this is the kind of shit i would do - make lists of how to break the airplane wing. you're welcome, world!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Has anyone else noticed how fucked up Guile's walk is? Try walking forward at crouching Sagat in the corner. If you look closely, you'll see Guile bounce off Sagat between every step. You can actually stand all the way next to crouching Sagat with no space inbetween them, then tap Forward and he'll take a huge step back. Crouching does the same thing, and sadly so does dashing. I hate 3D fighting games sometimes.
onReload

Post by onReload »

It's still a 2D game, and they all have their quirks...shoutouts to 1P/2P sides of screens allowing for different combos
error1

Post by error1 »

haha, they fixed this kind of thing in sfxt but it makes the combo system less interesting.
His turn around animation is really messed up.
Maj

Post by Maj »

onReload wrote:It's still a 2D game, and they all have their quirks...shoutouts to 1P/2P sides of screens allowing for different combos
Actually in this regard, SF4 is 100% a 3D game. I'm talking about the difference between hand-drawn sprites with manually positioned hitboxes that don't change every frame and rigged 3D models with hitboxes attached to joints that move every frame. Animation-accurate hitboxes are overrated.