Random Lazy Questions

talk about how great training mode is
Maj

Post by Maj »

11) Did everyone know that SF2 Blanka's ball is unblockable at point blank range if the opponent wasn't already in block animation? I tested this in WW and HF. Put the opponent right next to Blanka and hold DB, then have Blanka do any version of the ball. As long as you don't accidentally kara-cancel to scare the opponent into trying to block, the ball should be unblockable. Is this common knowledge?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I heard something about that. It's the same with ce sagat (maybe hyper) reversals..
desk

Post by desk »

all versions of blanka can do that I think. If you're point blank, you can't block it... or is that what you meant by SF2? lol, never mind.
Maj

Post by Maj »

12) In SFEX2 if you watch the very first attract/intro sequence, Guile does j.HP, c.MP xx Sonic Boom xx Guard Break xx Somersault Justice against Vega. Is that legit? I know that canceling Sonic Boom into Guard Break works as a combo, but there's definitely not enough time to recharge afterwards, cuz Vega is supposed to fall immediately.
Last edited by Maj on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

13) As far as i can tell, MvC2 Guile's FK super makes it impossible to roll after getting hit by the last hit or two. Guile's air super also makes it impossible to roll after getting hit by the last couple of hits, and it sets flying screen so that if you follow up with an OTG combo, you can't cancel into supers. Guile's Sonic Hurricane doesn't set flying screen so you can OTG into super after it, but the opponent can roll after it too. So the question is, how come the opponent can't roll after the FK super but Guile can still combo into super afterwards? Also, why is it impossible to DHC the last two hits of the air super? The super tunnel stays in the background for a long time, so it's obviously not because of that. I asked jchensor and he thinks it's because the last two hits of the air super cause flying screen, but he didn't have an explanation for the FK super.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

regarding the EX2 combo, EX games in general (except for the first one, and maybe EX2), it doesn't take kinding to canceling into kick specials.

For example, from at least EX2+ and on, you can't cancel Kairis jumping knee bash (f+mk) into his kick super, but it allows you to cancel it into his air fireball super...

same with bison, you can easily cancel a knee press into a psycho cannon, but if you wanna do the crusher then you're gonna need either super exact timing/spacing/luck or it won't work

same with bisons throws, after any bison throw, hold back and continue to hold back, as soon as you have control you can press punch for an easy psycho crusher, but if you try a kick, then all of a sudden it won't be as easy.

I tried the combo above, and as I implied above, its easy to get the openning gambit out, but impossible to get the double flash kick super to come out, at least in EX2+. Maybe the arc EX2 was more leanient, but so far it seems to be more kick move hating in the EX games.

BTW the openning gambit doesn't connect, so its a waste of a super.
Maj

Post by Maj »

14) After my new Guile video trailer got released, gilley asked me this: Does looping dash forward, s.LP -> s.MP -> s.HP xx Sonic Boom create a Guile infinite in MvC2? I'm still a Marvel scrub so i didn't have an answer for him. Thought maybe someone here would know already. Btw, my favorite thing about MvC2 is that Guile can do dash forward into Sonic Boom like charge B, neutral+PP, F+P.
ShinjiGohan wrote:I tried the combo above, and as I implied above, its easy to get the openning gambit out, but impossible to get the double flash kick super to come out, at least in EX2+. Maybe the arc EX2 was more leanient, but so far it seems to be more kick move hating in the EX games.

BTW the openning gambit doesn't connect, so its a waste of a super.
Well, i guess it wouldn't be a Street Fighter game if it didn't have odd peculiarities. After testing Guard Break, Guard Break xx Opening Gambit and Guard Break, Guard Break xx Double Somersault Kick, i found that Opening Gambit whiffs while Somersault Strike connects. Maybe one of them is faster than the other, or maybe there's some other reason for it. I'm not exactly sure why it's so difficult to do the CPU Guile combo from the attract sequence, but there must be some sort of trick to it - if it's even possible.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Dlb FK hits on frame 5, while the OG hits on frame 18. So the double fk hits far sooner than openning gambit does, and as you said, they fall pretty fast from the guardbreak. So with a 17 frame start up, they're already in an unhitable state by the time the 1st active frame reaches them.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Whee I'm late.
For 13) The last 2 hits of Guile's air Super do indeed cause flying screen, you can hear for yourself because each of them makes the whistling FS-hit noise (no music makes it easier to tell). As for the flashkick super, in MvC2 they-can't-roll and flying-screen are separate flags, so the flashkick supers set one but not the other. More examples include Doom's air and ground pink supers, Captain Storm, and Sakura's punch throw, all of which are unrollable but do not cause FS.

Mike Z - I'm not here.
Maj

Post by Maj »

15) What's Karin's 100% throw glitch in Alpha 3? How it done and why does it work?
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

IIRC it isn't 100%, I thought it was like 80%... But I think you had to input a certain code and then it worked when you did her air throw.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Actually, you just picked L-Ism mode in the arcade version (I think by holding Jab and Short when you press Start) and then if you throw someone with Karin (ground or air), it'll drain the enemy to Zero Vital no matter how much life they had. Vega's Wall Dive did the same (or his Air Throw or something). Guy's Level 3 Throw Super killed the enemy no matter how much life they had.

- James
Maj

Post by Maj »

16) What do those turtles do in Last Blade 2? They show up in so many combo videos. It always looks like it's going to be a typical interrupt like Rolento's knives, but then the turtle just walks by without causing any impact.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

well, the turtle most people use is the healing turtle, I have a feeling that when you get hit by the healing turtle it may cancel you out of the recovery of something your doing making certain combos work, but I could be wrong.
Maj

Post by Maj »

17) Is there any legit (non-hack) way to select Rugal in KoF94 or KoF95?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

only in kof 95 not in kof 94

This works in both the arcade and home systems : At the team edit screen (you
can do this even if you don't use team edit, but you won't be able to play
the two bosses), the 15 second counter, press and hold start. While holding
start, push up and B, right and C, left and A, and down and D. The two
bosses should then appear on either side of the counter and the counter
should reset back to 15.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool, thanks. That took quite a few tries but it worked, though i couldn't get it to work without team edit mode - not that it matters. After you do the code once, the bosses stay on the character select screen even if you don't use team edit mode and they can't be selected like you said.

18) SFA2 Rolento does a CC consisting of a whole bunch of Taunt grenades at 0:26 in NKI's Volume I, Act IX. Every time i try to do Taunt grenade, he throws a dud that doesn't hit anything. What's up with that?
NKI

Post by NKI »

Rolento's taunt doesn't hit in SFZ2/SFA2. It only hits in SFZ2A/SFA2G (that horrible "fixed" version of A2 that no one ever plays.)

In the vid, you can actually tell which version is being used by looking at the life bars.
SFA2 = red
SFA2G = blue

The original version (read: VHS copy) of NKI Volume I actually had a disclaimer at the beginning which explained this. I never thought to include that in the "digitally remastered" versions. My bad...
laugh

Post by laugh »

Maj, I found out how to select Rugal in kof94 without hacking or using cheats. All you have to do is use what's called a debug bios. It's a real bios made by SNK that can do all sorts of neat things in games. You can also do the same thing with UniBIOS, but that's more leaning towards hack/cheat.
The King of Fighters '94 Dip Codes

1-1 Sprite debug menu
1-2 Collision detection boxes can be seen
1-3 Disable the timer
1-4 Both Players Invincible, SDM's also always at max
1-5 Display hex code on screen
1-6 Unknown
1-7 Stages now Selectable
1-8 Annoying Shadow covering screen
2-1 Able to adjust RGB levels of color palette
2-2 Program Editing Data
2-3 Unknown
2-4 Human player is invincible
2-5 Displays frame information
2-6 Sound menu. Press 'Select' to access
2-7 CPU controls both teams
2-8 Display character statistics

Play as Rugal

To access Rugal you need to go into the debug menu at the 'How To Play' screen. Turn on Dips 1-4 and 2-6. Then on the player selection screen, Hold Select and press up. To choose The Normal or 'Full Power' Rugal, Simply press left or right. The Normal Rugal's standing animation will stop which in turn will be 'Full Power' Rugal when you select him. After entering the code, Turn the Dips off and resume the game.
I haven't tried it yet (I'm about to on mame) but 1-2 and 2-5 sounds REALLY interesting.
CC that shit
laugh

Post by laugh »

I couldn't figure out how to do it on MAME, but Kawaks supports it. Just go to "Game - Neogeo Setting" and enable "Developer mode." Now, you can use the "debug dipswitches" located in the same menu.
CC that shit
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks dude, i'm sure that info will come in handy in the future. I've already captured a KoF95 O.Rugal combo though, so i'm good for now.
Maj

Re: Random Lazy Questions

Post by Maj »

19) What makes Tekken OTG combos legit? Almost every video victimizes bears, robots, and ogres. Without a combo counter, i'm always left wondering how they verify that every OTG is inescapable.
Maj

Post by Maj »

20) Does anyone know how to perform the same character glitch in SF2:WW? Was there a legitimate way to do it without access to dip switches?
NKI

Post by NKI »

19) Not sure about the other Tekkens, but in TTT for PS2, you can set the training dummy to auto-roll.
20) Yes, there is a legit way to do it, but I can't remember exactly how. Has something to do with losing as 1P, then having 2P enter at the "Continue?" counter. I'd have to look it up.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Maj wrote:19) What makes Tekken OTG combos legit? Almost every video victimizes bears, robots, and ogres. Without a combo counter, i'm always left wondering how they verify that every OTG is inescapable.
There is a roll feature in tekken 5 aswell. When you are in Training mode, there is a hit counter which tells you damage and hits. Certain moves have knockdown properties aswell which wont allow quick roll, but also wont allow to combo more but still hit them while on the ground. Certain characters have moves that only work when the lying on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZremIR6wiM

Ill use the vid above, since KYSG make crazy combos....even tho its on programmable sticks.
Maj

Post by Maj »

If that's the case, then how do you know whether a combo is legit when it's performed in Versus Mode? Or when it's performed in an old Tekken game that didn't have lots of Training Mode menus and options?

Even in the video above, none of the opponents seem to be rolling after the combo is over. Are we basically taking his word for it?
desk

Post by desk »

Maj wrote:20) Does anyone know how to perform the same character glitch in SF2:WW? Was there a legitimate way to do it without access to dip switches?
I'm almost certain the only legit character you can do that with is ryu and one of the ryu's is always the CPU. Nothing cool comes from this though because he can do nothing to himself that ken couldn't already do. I had to do it for a screen shot in vid of dreams.

Some of the glitches, for exmaple, blanka being electrified result from the fact that that can never happen in normal gameplay. Meaning they didn't give him an electrified animation and the game goes nuts. I'm sure you already knew that, i just thought it was interesting and I'd never seen it written up anywhere. So I just did it, lol.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Right, that's actually the reason i'm inquiring. One of the questions in the First Trivia Challenge asks for the first instance of juggling in the SF2 series.

By default it's CE Dhalsim, but the WW Blanka vs Blanka Electricity juggle would be the true answer if there was a legitimate way to arrange that mirror match. However, omni thinks it was only possible with Ryu. I've seen those WW Blanka mirror match juggles in random old TZW footage but that mix included glitches performed by messing with dipswitch settings. Old useless knowledge fading away i guess ...
Maj

Post by Maj »

21) Does anyone know how to pick Dr. Doom and Thanos in MSH in MAME without using cheats? I've tried the most commonly listed code but it doesn't seem to work, unless i'm doing the credit switch part incorrectly. Supposedly it only works on Japanese boards, but the mshj romset isn't supported by MAME so i've been using mshjr1 instead. After quite a bit of trial and error, i managed to find the "Free Play" setting but still no luck with the boss codes. Any advice anyone?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

have you tried using kawaks for the mshj rom?