SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

video previews, releases, and feedback
Doopliss

Re: SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

Post by Doopliss »

Might be hard with Ryus ultra, the trick is to negate the last hit. I know it is possible to interrupt it mid-super, but that was with 2 catastrophes on-screen.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

look at maj's ryu evo video it has a combo the uses catastrophe to negate the last hit of Ryu's ultra, damn funny
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:look at maj's ryu evo video it has a combo the uses catastrophe to negate the last hit of Ryu's ultra, damn funny
So that's what happened, I didn't know XD

onReload

Post by onReload »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GxL6VMB5A

Just dropping in something interesting...I bet you already thought of that though, huh? I'd imagine Vega, along with a whole bunch of non-combo-friendly characters, will be stuffed into one video at some point?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I've tried doing that from the ground, but because it looked like it was going to connect but it didn't, I assumed that it didn't work. Btw, have someone connected with the super after DF.HK -> HK scarlet? I saw someone do it, but I can't hit it.

onReload

Post by onReload »

Doopliss wrote:I've tried doing that from the ground, but because it looked like it was going to connect but it didn't, I assumed that it didn't work. Btw, have someone connected with the super after DF.HK -> HK scarlet? I saw someone do it, but I can't hit it.
I'll have to try it later...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1

Post by error1 »

vipers mp thunder knuckle gives +3. I bet there is some hit stun or distance that lets you land this meaty a frame mid combo so you can jab out of it.
Hard to believe viper is the number 2 stunner.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i usually take a close look through the character's frame data on SRK before i start working on anything. I'm not too sure which direction i should take Viper but i'll probably have at least one combo where i interrupt her ultra and then make her sparkle a lot before juggling with something.

Also i might do a Rufus/Viper split, just to get Rufus out of the way. Maybe like two Rufus combos, three or four Viper combos, i dunno.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Why can't Dan do ultra while he has a fireball on the screen?

Boooo. Lame.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Why can't Dan do ultra while he has a fireball on the screen?

Boooo. Lame.
He can't? I could have sworn I got the Ultrafreeze in between hits of the EX Gadouken
error1

Post by error1 »

it does seem random the way they decide who can do there ultra with a fb on screen and who can't. Ryu and Dan can't but Ken and Dhalsim can. No Idea why they would do it that way. Do I smell a TAdanCV
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah Dhalsim is real weird, he can fireball first then Ultra but then is limited to only one Ultra with a normal fireball on the screen. And he can have two Ultras on the screen normally but he can't normal fireball after there's already at least one Ultra on the screen, which makes no sense. It's probably some stupid math thing.

Speaking of Dhalsim his taunt #3 makes him extremely tall. Like top of the screen tall. Would be interesting if there was a Dhalsim-taunt-only combo floating around but I can't think of one. I wonder if there's a taunt that makes the character extremely wide.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Xenozip. wrote:Yeah Dhalsim is real weird, he can fireball first then Ultra but then is limited to only one Ultra with a normal fireball on the screen. And he can have two Ultras on the screen normally but he can't normal fireball after there's already at least one Ultra on the screen, which makes no sense. It's probably some stupid math thing.

Speaking of Dhalsim his taunt #3 makes him extremely tall. Like top of the screen tall. Would be interesting if there was a Dhalsim-taunt-only combo floating around but I can't think of one. I wonder if there's a taunt that makes the character extremely wide.
Maybe Rufus "I'll defeat everyone on the planet!" taunt, he raises both his hands in a 45 degree angle.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Must be nice having all the Taunts unlocked. Elitist jerks.

Lvl2 Focus Attack startup rankings:

Blanka: 18+10
Dhalsim: 18+10

Akuma: 18+11
Balrog: 18+11
Cammy: 18+11
Dan: 18+11
E.Honda: 18+11
El Fuerte: 18+11
Fei Long: 18+11
Gen: 18+11
Gouken: 18+11
Rufus: 18+11
Ryu: 18+11
Sakura: 18+11
Seth: 18+11
Vega: 18+11

Abel: 18+12
Guile: 18+12
Ken: 18+12
M.Bison: 18+12
Sagat: 18+12

Chun Li: 18+13
Rose: 18+13

Zangief: 18+15

C.Viper: 18+16

(Writing this down in one place in case i need it later.)
source: Shoryuken Wiki
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I really hade Vipers FA XD

error1

Post by error1 »

not what I would have guessed
Blanka and Dhalsim have the quickest lv 2 and Viper has the worst. I thought there was more variation then that. Explains why cpu Blanka uses so many FA.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:not what I would have guessed
Blanka and Dhalsim have the quickest lv 2 and Viper has the worst. I thought there was more variation then that. Explains why cpu Blanka uses so many FA.
I Really can't see Dhalsims lv.2 as 18+10, more like 10+18, that thing goes lvl. 2 really fast when you FAC a yoga fire.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Viper's isn't surprising at all. Typical Capcom design philosophy, playing it safe when a character has too many corresponding variables. Dhalsim's is fast only because his dash is terrible. Blanka's is fast only because everything else he's got sucks for combos. All of his special moves bounce him hella far away and he has no projectiles so he can't do meaty special xx lvl2 Focus Attack mid-combo.

Dhalsim's lvl2 Focus Attack doesn't seem to charge any faster than anyone else's when you do it by itself. When you cancel things into Focus Attack, there's usually a long buffer window before the character starts doing the FA. Maybe that's messing with your timing?

Random note, Honda can land on certain fireballs by whiffing jump up fierce or jump back fierce (requires more spacing precision than the vertical version). Might be useful later for meaty setups.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I noticed it depends on the move. If you FADC from something like Rose's qcf+LK there is a large window before the FA begins, but do it from her c.MP and it's practically instant.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, it depends on the move's startup. Usually you can't whiff-cancel moves into EX Focus Attack, with the exception of projectiles and a few other random ones like Sagat's F+LK. Everything else becomes cancelable when it connects, so the slower it is, the bigger the pre-buffer window. There's obviously a maximum limit (probably around 7-10 frames) because you can't autocancel helluva slow moves, but within that limit it depends on the individual move's startup period.

Did you guys know that El Fuerte can dizzy with his Propeller Tortilla (QCB+P -> HP) and still OTG the dizzy opponent without causing them to recover? But instead of standing them up, the OTG knocks them down in dizzy state so i guess you can't connect anything else until they stand up again.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

No, that's what I mean. Rose's qcf+LK doesn't become cancelable when it connects, the cancel window is after hitstop when she begins to move again. Meanwhile some moves like her c.MP and qcb+P are cancelable right as they connect rather than several frames later.
Maj

Post by Maj »

No way, i'm doing QCF+LK, MP+MK pressing the buttons as fast as i can and she automatically cancels into FA every time.

Dashing is a little different because SF4 doesn't let you buffer both at the same time. So you can pre-buffer the EX Focus Attack but you can't cancel that into dash until much later. That part is dependent on the amount of startup plus hitstop, though there's still a pre-buffer window for dash-canceling too. It's just that Rose's Soul Spiral causes hella hitstop, so the FA point and the DC point are farther apart than usual.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah she cancels into FA automatically due to the buffer window. You can hold MP+MK the very moment you press LK and it will just cancel at the earliest point. However, the earliest point to cancel is a few frames after hitstop (looks like several frames to me). After she hits some one and begins to move forward is the earliest point it can be canceled, you can visually see her moving forward after hitstop before the FA begins (as in, it hits, she pauses from hitstop, she begins moving forward after hitstop ends, then the FA begins). You can see it pretty clearly if you KO some one with it but it's just as easy to see at 20FPS without a KO. But if you FA cancel a qcb+P it begins the FA immediately as hitstop ends, there's no further animation between hitstop to FA unlike with qcf+K.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I can't control framerate but that move seems more and more like a special case to me. It causes almost as much hitstop as a Focus Attack. In fact maybe they screwed something up when they implemented that, so Rose starts moving forward before hitstop is truly over. Does the same thing happen when you cancel into super?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Err no and yes. The move starts moving after hitstop, she doesn't continue moving during hitstop. You can clearly see the hitstop duration as both her and her opponent is frozen and then they both start moving again. But the cancel window is well after hitstop and after the move starts moving again. And by cancel window I mean FA or super. Which is also what makes that move so easily hitconfirmable, since the super cancel window is so late it's really easy to c.LP qcf+LK (confirm) super. Not that you would use that move so recklessly since it's so punishable but that's aside from the point.

It may be a special case but I wouldn't be surprised to find another move with exactly the same properties (cancel window well after hitstop ends).
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj wrote:Well, it depends on the move's startup. Usually you can't whiff-cancel moves into EX Focus Attack, with the exception of projectiles and a few other random ones like Sagat's F+LK. Everything else becomes cancelable when it connects, so the slower it is, the bigger the pre-buffer window. There's obviously a maximum limit (probably around 7-10 frames) because you can't autocancel helluva slow moves, but within that limit it depends on the individual move's startup period.

Did you guys know that El Fuerte can dizzy with his Propeller Tortilla (QCB+P -> HP) and still OTG the dizzy opponent without causing them to recover? But instead of standing them up, the OTG knocks them down in dizzy state so i guess you can't connect anything else until they stand up again.
OTG?

Maj

Post by Maj »

It means off-the-ground. Oldschool Marvel terminology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMkoC5f3mY
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

so he can do the s.LK even if tortilla stuns? Interesting XD I found a similar thing with Dhalsim, dunno if I've said that already.

Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:Oldschool Marvel terminology.
Ahh, X-Men CotA days.