Gameplay Trial 01: Dirty Cheese

what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Maj

Gameplay Trial 01: Dirty Cheese

Post by Maj »

For two points, pick any character you want, any game you want, set it to the highest difficulty level available, get to the final boss, and record a clip of you beating him/her two out of three rounds. The catch is that in the two rounds you win, you can't take any damage and you can only attack with throws. Furthermore, you can't reuse the same throw in any round, although you can use the same throw in two different rounds. Finally, none of the throws you perform can inflict more than 33% damage to the opponent's lifebar.
Infinite Giver

Re: Gameplay Trial 01: Dirty Cheese

Post by Infinite Giver »

I don't believe this could be done.

an hour later.....

I take that back, probably.
error1

Post by error1 »

This one probably needs some rules clarification.
So it can be any game as long as it has.
A) best two out of three rounds
B) throws

And the rules are
1) you can't take any damage
--a) can your computer controlled ally take damage? What about if you share a life bar?
2) can only attack with throws
--a) can your computer controlled ally attack with other moves?
--b) can you use non throws as long as they are blocked/don't hit? What about chip damage? How about Kara throws?
--c) do you have to kill the opponent with damage or can you win by ring/time out?
3) you can't reuse the same throw in any round
--a) is a jab SPD a different throw then a fierce SPD? How about an Ex SPD?
--b) is a Atomic Suplex a different throw then a Flying Power Bomb?
--c) is a F+Hp a different throw then B+Hp if the only difference is the detection it is preformed in?
--d) if you use a throw and miss can you try it again?
4) none of the throws you perform can inflict more than 33% damage to the opponent's lifebar.
--a) if the opponent only has 30% of there lifebar remaining can a throw that normally does 50% be used?

You should start bloging stuff like this.
Maj

Post by Maj »

error1 wrote:So it can be any game as long as it has.
A) best two out of three rounds
B) throws
Yup. If you're asking whether you can use non-fighting games, that wasn't my original intention but yeah sure why not.
can your computer controlled ally take damage? What about if you share a life bar?
What?
can you use non throws as long as they are blocked/don't hit? What about chip damage? How about Kara throws?
Yes. No. Yes.
do you have to kill the opponent with damage or can you win by ring/time out?
Since you asked, yes you have the kill the opponent. If someone had posted a clip of this idea without asking, i would have been amused and accepted it, then clarified the rules so nobody else could take that route. However, it seems backwards to penalize you for asking so i guess you get a bonus 1/4 point.
is a jab SPD a different throw then a fierce SPD? How about an Ex SPD?
No. No.
is a Atomic Suplex a different throw then a Flying Power Bomb?
Yes, technically they're different commands and listed separately in all instruction manuals. Plus they're hella different.
is a F+Hp a different throw then B+Hp if the only difference is the direction it is preformed in?
No, unless the two throws are completely different, such as 3S Ryu's F+LP+LK vs B+LP+LK throws.
if you use a throw and miss can you try it again?
Yes.
if the opponent only has 30% of there lifebar remaining can a throw that normally does 50% be used?
Yes.
You should start bloging stuff like this.
Really? Our score sheet hasn't been updated since March. If the combo video elite isn't down, how can i expect anyone else to be? At some point i do plan on posting that one CvS2 meaty attacks challenge vid i made, but other than that i don't think there's any reason/hope. Maybe the text quizzes are worth posting? I dunno, i'm not even sure about that.
error1

Post by error1 »

sorry for the rules lawer'n it's a habit of mine.
I was trying to think of the easiest game to do this on and figured toshindin 2, the game has no throws but you can get the opponent to ring themselves out.
The best 2 out of 3 stops most non-fighting games and a bunch of fighting games too.
I'll see if I can think of anther game this is doable in. Wrestling games seem ideal for this if any of them have 2 out of 3.
I'm sure one of your thousands of blog readers can string together a combo.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha i'm not sure if i've reached thousands in plural yet. The blog gets about 150 visitors per day, but i think if i keep updating it'll grow steadily. Maybe down the road i'll give the challenge thing a shot, if i ever get to the point where each post is generating 20+ comments. (Three posts in a row with zero comments isn't exactly encouraging as far as effort level is concerned.) Even then i'd probably have to take the difficulty down a notch.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

Maj, you never said anything about not using emulators...

Here's Victor from VSav. The dude has a lot of throws but not that many. I had to reuse one between the rounds.

Use fba-rr 004.01 or higher and the right romset to replay it. It'll pause automatically at the end of the input stream. Just unpause it and it'll finish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zrngwdwxt0k

Should easily be possible to not reuse any throws with some game+character combinations.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hmm, he has airthrow, MP throw, HP throw, chain throw, K throw, qcf+K throw, 360 throw, 720 throw. Yeah, the fact that three of those are hold-type throws is pretty convenient for getting lots of damage while staying under 33%.

Not sure who else could do it but I imagine some one from KoF. Though I suppose it depends if blockable throws count. Maybe R.Mika from SFA3.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It makes me sad that we're 8 posts into this thread and nobody has mentioned Zangief yet. :( <-- me

Dammit: Sorry, would it be too much trouble to ask for a video of that? It'd be way more convenient and way more people would check it out.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Zangief cheats.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

If SF4 Gief had more throws I would've done it. But he only have 5 throws that obays the rules. Unless you count EX variations. But I can only record 30 seconds with fraps anyway.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

here is an encode
http://www.filefront.com/15098517/vsavu ... ammit.mkv/

I assumed tool assisting wouldn't be allowed but I don't see anyone doing it otherwise.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It can be done without tool-assistance for sure, it's just a matter of memorizing boss patterns. I bet i could have done it back in the day when i spent my afternoons playing SF2 Special Champion Edition on Sega Genesis.

But if you guys want to use tool-assistance, i don't have a problem with that either, especially since so much time has passed without any responses. If someone accomplishes it manually, maybe i can give them an extra point or something, but even that doesn't seem fair considering how much effort went into this VS clip. It's so elaborate, it looks like they're dancing.

Two points for Dammit! And thanks for the encode, error1.
SlimX

Post by SlimX »

SF2 Special Champion Edition on Sega Genesis? T-t-t-t-totally awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43hBX2Wnfg
"Man, you being proud of me got in the way, bitch!"
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

SlimX wrote:SF2 Special Champion Edition on Sega Genesis? T-t-t-t-totally awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43hBX2Wnfg
Did anyone in the 90s really think douchebags pointing with both hands was rad? The video was painful but the live action Guile was worth the price of admission. I did see that strategy guide (it's for both WW and CE), but the cover was different.

Thanks for the encode, error. I'm still learning how to do it myself.
Last edited by Dammit on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
error1

Post by error1 »

I got an idea of how to do it manually. Using Tizoc in Garou and losing on the boss so you can fight him at 1/3 health. If only fba worked better with garou.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

probably not possible in SFEX since all characters have 2 throws. Would you happen to count grab specials and supers? Not that it'll really help, but maybe Ace can do it since you can edit his moves to be like almost all throws. but theres only 1 round in EX3 so yeah... also, does it have to be hidden secret boss or the regular boss on the hardest difficulty?
Maj

Post by Maj »

The real final boss would be cooler, but i guess either counts. Command grabs and supers count too, as long as they obey the 33% rule.

As for the one round thing, eh, it's alright anyway. There's not too much else going on with this thread so as long as you aren't reducing default 2/3 rounds to 1 round, it's fine.