SFEX3 combo video

video previews, releases, and feedback
ShinjiGohan

SFEX3 combo video

Post by ShinjiGohan »

This has some odd editting (odd in a good way).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5pSmDJUP-E& ... ed&search=

It seems like he recorded several combos, but he'd splice other combos in during similar parts of the combo.

Like he'd have a beginning combo to tag

and as the tag animation occurs, he'd splice in the next beginning combo.

after all of the beginning combos, he'd splice in the followup to the tag
repeats for all combos
then splices in the tagged in partners combo

etc...

I dunno, I thought it was neat. What do the rest of you think?
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

I'd like to see the Combos unedited, just 'cause I don't know the game well enough, so sometimes I get confused on which combo is which. ^_^ But as an edit, it's an awesome idea, and probably an idea that can only be carried out on certain games (EX3, MvC2, maybe Guilty Gear... anything with loooong combos).

I just don't know what is up with the music. It was... like music occasionally, then silence for the most part (were my speakers set too low?). If he had some better fitting music and edited/timed the clips so they matched the music, I think it would have been, like, a totally awesome video (pardon my Cali accent).

Just out of curisoity, Shinjig... (I like the name shinjig you used on YouTube), how impressive were those Combos? I think I own EX3 now... I think I got a free copy from omni. I should pop it in and play around with Training Mode, cause the combos do look fun.

- James
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks for bringing this up. It's really interesting to watch.

Some of the cuts are really cool, like when one character is obviously about to do a super but it switches to another combo, showing the superfreeze from the second clip only. This happens quite often after the 4-minute mark. Cuz then you have like a series of 3 clips that start from superfreeze, and you can keep this going for quite a while if there are a lot of supers in each clip.

At the very least, you can say that this combo video had "replay value" because the editing made it way too difficult to absorb in one viewing. I can't say that i want this to show up in too many other videos, because it would be a really annoying trend. However, as a one-time-only experiment, it's totally awesome. You know what i mean? Some things are really cool until they become overplayed.

This kind of stuff would go really well in combo video teasers/trailers, but not so much in full length videos.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

jchensor wrote:I'd like to see the Combos unedited, just 'cause I don't know the game well enough, so sometimes I get confused on which combo is which. ^_^ But as an edit, it's an awesome idea, and probably an idea that can only be carried out on certain games (EX3, MvC2, maybe Guilty Gear... anything with loooong combos).
Yeah, it would probably flow better if you don't do too many combos together, and if the combos are structured similarly (similar juggles, similar looking moves).
I just don't know what is up with the music. It was... like music occasionally, then silence for the most part (were my speakers set too low?). If he had some better fitting music and edited/timed the clips so they matched the music, I think it would have been, like, a totally awesome video (pardon my Cali accent).
I dunno, I had the same problem. I'm not sure if it was because of the actual song having soft or silent parts, or if it was an editing decision.
Just out of curisoity, Shinjig... (I like the name shinjig you used on YouTube), how impressive were those Combos? I think I own EX3 now... I think I got a free copy from omni. I should pop it in and play around with Training Mode, cause the combos do look fun.

- James
Most of the combos were intermediate from a veterans EX3 players POV. There really wasn't anything that I haven't seen before. But god damn is that pal version of the game slow lol >.< I give the guy props for being able to put up with the speed long enough to make those combos and match vids.

With majs permission, here are some match videos from FRX.

First release of the EX3 matches for those that participated.
http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... 1part1.mpg
http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... 1part2.mpg

Bare in mind that I was player 1 but haven't played in a couple months lol. So my execution is still a bit off.

But I didn't hear a single complaint from the other players, even though it was their first time playing the game. (EX3 for Evo lol)

Still working on the 2nd tape.

I'll gladly field any questions though.

-edit-
If you want impressive combos without much editting, kyosuke and messatsu are who to look to on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGf5Fi_gaA
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

It's funny, 'cause as much as I myself have talked smack about SFEX3 with friends, I can't help but to think it looks strangely appealing everytime I watch it. It feels like the game has a lot of untapped potential. What level do you think the players in those videos were at? I've only watched a part of the second video (it finished downloading first... ^_^), but I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities in there.

Oh, and btw... what on earth was up with kicking around the dead body? You can actually damage opponents with it? That seemed hella random. Have people tried making Combos with dead bodies? lol! Seems like a goldmine there, though I'm sure there really isn't much you can do with it at all.

- James
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

jchensor wrote:It's funny, 'cause as much as I myself have talked smack about SFEX3 with friends,
:cry:
I can't help but to think it looks strangely appealing everytime I watch it. It feels like the game has a lot of untapped potential. What level do you think the players in those videos were at? I've only watched a part of the second video (it finished downloading first... ^_^), but I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities in there.
Most of the people that I played against, either never played the game, or played some of the eariler games. There were however 2 players that did seriously play EX3 a couple years ago (a tennesse group of players that played the game around the same time as neoavalon). However they were supposively rusty, but they did well enough to beat me or tie me so meh, I would say that they were around intermediate. Though I did pull several things that they never saw before, so I'm not sure where exactly to grade them lol.

Oh, and btw... what on earth was up with kicking around the dead body? You can actually damage opponents with it? That seemed hella random. Have people tried making Combos with dead bodies? lol! Seems like a goldmine there, though I'm sure there really isn't much you can do with it at all.

- James
Yes, kicking around dead bodies can damage opponents slightly (1 or 2 points of damage or something). However the hit stun there is severely lacking, so hitting the dead bodies may actually mess up a combo (as seen in a couple of the matches). So at best, its used as a poke, which would be another way to control space. But after a second or so, the body fades away, so it isn't much for a combo goldmine lol. And no, as far as I know, no ones bothered to make combos off of dead bodies. Though with the small hit stun, perhaps some attack trade combos can be made (like rolentos falling knifes hitting the same time as a slow fierce move to reduce recovery frames, so more links may be possible).
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Sorry, I should probably have elaborated that about talking smack about EX3. ^_^ Sounds really mean the way I put it.

Basically, it kinda began with EX1. My friends and I all played that over a weekend, with the specific goal of getting all the endings. And the endings for EX1 were all pretty ridiculous, since they all had the same music and cheesy 3-D renders. Since then, even though I've loved Expert Training Mode, EX sorta has this connotation of being a bit silly with me and my friends. I mean, to be honest, everytime I see the statue flying up to the screen on EX3 whenever someone is killed by a super, I can do nothing but laugh. Add to taht characters like Skullomania, and it's hard not to think of EX3 with a large amount of levity.

But all of this just adds up to me poking fun at EX3 even though I don't necessarily have any venom against it. It's largely unjustified and uncalled for. I mean, I tease the game with pretty much no basis, which is unfortauntely what I think a lot of people do.

Another question:

Is that Pullum an infinite lockdown? With taht momentary cancel, it looks like Pullum can repeatedly to the Crouch Forward into Jaguar Kick thing into the Air Drill and repeat infinitely.

And one comment:

Calling teammate as anti-air into throw into Dhalsim Combo was so broken!!! How hard is it to get away from that? Can the guy landing throw first or Reversal or just Jump away? That was some sick stuff.

- James
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

jchensor wrote:snip
lol, its alright. I've dealt with EX hate for several years now, but I guess there are some images of the game that sequels just can't get past.
Another question:

Is that Pullum an infinite lockdown? With taht momentary cancel, it looks like Pullum can repeatedly to the Crouch Forward into Jaguar Kick thing into the Air Drill and repeat infinitely.
No, there are breaks in it. Depending on the character its done on, the momentary may hit too soon and they're recover too quickly. Or you'll be pushed back, which is why you need to change up the momentary from mk to lk every so often, so you don't get out of range. And so when you change up from lk to mk, it may hit sooner which would give an oppurtunity to reverse.
Calling teammate as anti-air into throw into Dhalsim Combo was so broken!!! How hard is it to get away from that? Can the guy landing throw first or Reversal or just Jump away? That was some sick stuff.

- James
I honestly don't recall that portion of the video lol. However, as seen in kyosuke and messatsu throw and tag tutorial. You are able to tag and throw out of almost anything. So the person landing could try to tag to get out of my throw. But if he's stuck in a move animation, then he's probably fucked lol. But I don't really have an ability to test if invincible moves can hit throws (EX3 doesn't have that recordable dummy that 3s and CvS2 have :( )

I went through every comboable throw in my Shinji Collections 3 video (and part of Shinji collections 2). And all of them are Dhalsim friendly :D
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... Combo1.avi
http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... Combo2.avi

Here are the 2 clips I said I was working on SRK. I might make more combos for a more thorough video, but what are the opinions of these? Any questions, or suggestions on where I could have taken the combos?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Whoa, that second combo is crazy! So Dhalsim's launcher super sets up a frozen screen? Does that create a phantom wall/corner? I mean, what happens if you just hang out in the corner juggling the opponent with standing jab over and over?
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

As you saw, the game will reset the screen after the combo ends. Though whether you can see the opponent to do the combo is another story lol.

-edit-

Actually I wasn't getting that in practice, but walking back with D.Dark started to get the screen to skew.

The ex-prominence probably allowed it to keep it that way.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

This is as good a place as any to ask EX3 questions...

- Combo->tag->Lv3 = the un-combo'd version of the Lv3, right? I seem to remember that was the case, like with Ryu and Chun you can do combo->tag->ShinSho, Chun walks back during the super, then juggle.

- Was anything useful ever found with those weird screen bugs you can cause by [edit:] doing [end edit] tag->Lv3 with Nanase? The ones where both characters are offscreen for a while, especially if you get the uncombo'd super...

- Was anything useful ever found with Zangief and Vega airthrows? Do a Rainbow Combination, Vega does flipkick super, Zangief does super airthrow as they get hit into the air, Vega does 2nd part of flipkick super with guaranteed throw in it. I know you can do odd things like get it to do 90% dmg just from that and have the opponent pop around strangely...maybe you can do something else with camera work in it along with Vega instead...

Mike Z
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Mike Z wrote:This is as good a place as any to ask EX3 questions...

- Combo->tag->Lv3 = the un-combo'd version of the Lv3, right? I seem to remember that was the case, like with Ryu and Chun you can do combo->tag->ShinSho, Chun walks back during the super, then juggle.
For Ryu and Chun Li, the "uncomboed" version really relys on how close you are to the opponent.

However with Chun Li, she really doesn't have an uncomboed type of lv3. Its just if you're close enough, the opponent will fly directly overhead rather than away from you, which would allow you to follow up with another combo.
- Was anything useful ever found with those weird screen bugs you can cause by [edit:] doing [end edit] tag->Lv3 with Nanase? The ones where both characters are offscreen for a while, especially if you get the uncombo'd super...
I'm not sure what you mean by that, though if its similar to the combo of
Kairi: tag, kamehameha type lv3
Nanase Or Shadowgeist: lv3

There aren't many characters that have something like that (nanase, Shadowgeist are the only ones to come to mind immediately). I suppose anything that has the camera on the specific move may produce something similar (Skullo Dream, Vega's Lv3, Geifs FAB).
- Was anything useful ever found with Zangief and Vega airthrows? Do a Rainbow Combination, Vega does flipkick super, Zangief does super airthrow as they get hit into the air, Vega does 2nd part of flipkick super with guaranteed throw in it. I know you can do odd things like get it to do 90% dmg just from that and have the opponent pop around strangely...maybe you can do something else with camera work in it along with Vega instead...
The only uses I've found with Giefs airthrow are as follows:
1). AA
2). Will combo if the opponent is in a certain juggle state (ater a darun catch for example).
3). To gain ground after landing an SPD (this would allow you to land next to them before they get up so you can do a meaty tick SPD or tick FAB).

Vegas has the automatic throw and the manual throw. The manual does more damage.

The only other strange thing I saw was during my Emotional flow video were after Vega does his Lv3 aerial claw, the opponent flies away and you do anything else that jumps off the wall and he'll jump off of the middle of the screen.

But I can try that critical parade thing tonight and see what I can get.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

I mean Nanase as point, tag, do uncombo'd Lv3, then after it is over neither character (opponent or tagged-in point) is onscreen for like 10+ sec if you do it right. Not the Kairi thing where the beam keeps going during the startup, that's old. :^)

Come to think of it, Vega flipkick->other char airthrow->Vega 2nd part may work with other people, I just never tried. I doubt I can even find my copy of EX3 anymore...aww...

Mike Z
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

hmm, I've never tried that with nanase.

For vega, hmm, maybe Ken's or Pullums Air throw may work since it sends them flying rather than directly to the ground (unlike Chun lis), then Vega try to grab the airthrow. Or do they still bounce? Gotta try that.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Got the vega one, the nanase is still not quite right. Sometimes they take a couple seconds to run to the regular battlefield but I can still see them.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

small clip

http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... quests.avi

most of these were just quickly done, so it has shit editting and compression lol.

The end one of nanase was as long of a wait that I could get :-
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

The Vega + Dhalsim one was awesome. Did Vega's Air Throw even connect in the Zangief one?
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

From the looks of it, it did, but it didn't combo. As you could see the 1 hit combo for 20 points of damage at the data section of the screen. Though I'm not sure how someone can block a throw, or even know whats going on to react lol.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Well, I found my EX3. I didn't remember how ass most of the animations are. Skullo's idle pose ftl. :^)
- After Jack's Lv3, the other person is really on the ground. If you hit the guy with your other char in the air they appear on the ground in hitstun. If the other char walks fwd, they actually push the airborne person away from Jack even though they're on the ground and the other person is offscreen. To get behind the airborne person, you actually have to jump over them!
- After Nanase's tag->Lv3, you can get the other char to do something between the time she does the super flash and the time you lose control of char 2. If char 2 does, for example, a Shippu, it can juggle after Nanase's all finished and you can continue. In this way she could do RH tag RH xx Lv3, continue combo. It seems highly random what happens, though. The longest no-control period I ended up with is Nanase's super ends, 3 sec of nobody onscreen, P1 runs past screen, camera shifts and P2 runs past the other way, camera shifts again and P2 runs back towards P1, but comes from behind the scenery.
Also, projectiles run during Nanase's super, so if your 2nd char is Dhalsim and you do his Lv3 (for example), the flame continues (and comes out of Earth heh) then Dhalsim finishes for like 10 sec with no projectile.

I couldn't get an airthrow after doing Vega tag, flipkick super, HCT+P. However, I did notice that you can do the flipkick+2nd part as charge Back, HCB, HCB+K, then immediately after the flash HCT+P and it'll do the 2nd part later. You can do this all before the 2nd char gets control, or you can have the HCBx2+K count as a super for the other char.

None of this is that great though. (^.^)

Back to Accent Core...
Mike Z
desk

Post by desk »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bKvbyRKcUBc

decided to upload some really old clips I had. I never got round to using them in any proper videos. they're pretty random and crap but since peeps are talking about similar things i thought I'd put them up. I might include some of them in a small section of my new video.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

nice clips, I gather that was from multiple tags right?

http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... uests2.avi
desk

Post by desk »

yeah, the only stuff I could come up with was tagging everyone in and doing random things. This meant quickly switching between my stick and a second pad to do supers and stuff. I feel so ghetto without a program pad, lol.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Wow.

I never thought I would see so many clips of Nanase's "Re-entry Fist" (that's the playful name of that move my friends and I came up with) in a row in my life. ^_^

On those ones where Ken just appears from nowhere on the right side of Sagat and beats him up, could that be a legitimate trick? Sagat thinking he needs to block against the opponent on the left side, but he actually shows up on the right?
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

ok, getting ready for MWC. However I did mess with the vega CP to throw with shadowgeist doing his aerial skullo dream.

However Vegas follow up to the scarlet terror did not land. Why? Best I can reason is the difference between the skullo dream and giefs aerial slam.

The only difference that I see, is that during the aerial slam, the characters are not frozen so Vega is allowed to finish his scarlet terror move so by the time the aerial slam is finished vega is already in the air.

However with the skullo Dream, the characters are frozen, so when the skullo dream ends, Vega is still recovering from his scarlet terror move and isn't even in the air yet. and by the time he takes to the air, the opponent has already stood up.

So the follow up doesn't land.

Of course you may be asking why don't you wait for the skullo dream until the scarlet terror is finished. The answer for that is that by the time the scarlet terror finishes, the opponent has been launched above the lifebars and Shadowgeist can't jump that high lol.

I'll upload the clip soon, but the transcript for now is as follows

Vega: c.hk, meaty s.hk, s.hp, critical parade
Shadowgeist: s.mp, head stomp, jump
Vega: scarlet terror, follow up
Shadowgeist: Aerial Skullo Dream (try to finish the motions for the follow up annd skullo dream at the same time).

edit
http://www.streetfighterex.info/sfex3/v ... Shadow.avi
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Nice job! I tried that for 30 min and gave it up as impossible. :^) There has to be another move that can do that (knock the guy down from midair)...

Well, his followup looks like he's in the trying-to-grab pose the entire time through it. If it works the same way the last part of the vs-games-FAB and other things that exhibit similar behavior do...if the opponent were to jump in front of Vega (and maybe even behind him) so that their heights are nearly equal, they'd get grabbed. Is Vega invincible? (I bet not.)
Since there's no dash, if you can't jump quickly enough, maybe do a Critical Parade with the other team so the other char comes in on the other side of Vega?
This makes me wonder, will it grab DPs and things? If so, will it grab people out of invincible supers or things like teleports...if there are any that can be done in the air/go upward...and if so, can you get crazy bugs to happen like in other games?

Wishful thinking, but I'm hoping for some sort of kill-the-guy-while-he's-doing-something-invincible meaning the other char tags in but the first one recovers, and you can do 2-char combos forever...or something.
Mike Z
desk

Post by desk »

You probably already know this but if you're character out front is shadow (it works with skullo aswell) then you can easily do combo's to 2 characters at the same time. Just to add extra randomness to the critical parade. You tag out with shadow and then do his 360+p taunt. This leaves him standing there for ages after the other character has come in. If this is really old and crap info then just ignore it :)
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

You know, Mike, I was thinking the exact same thing... Is Vega invincible and how big is his grab box and is he still grabbing that whole time he is in the air? Like have Zangief try to do his Air Throw Super or Darun do his Launching Super and see if it gets thrown. That would be a really awesome clip.

Shinji, check your PMs, btw.

- James
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

So then to add: If you do desk's thing and Vega does flipkick to Shadow (who is tagged out) and inputs 2nd part, then other char jumps in front of Vega (or does a move in the air in front of him) does Vega grab the now-in character first?
That would probably be a lot easier to test vs. DPs and stuff than getting the air 720 each time you want to try without a program pad...

Mike Z