SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

video previews, releases, and feedback
error1

Re: SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

Post by error1 »

By no updates for the PC version I meant it came with all the championship updates.
But yah I remember how angry people were that they had to find out fei longs inf and rose's self fb reflect where gone, who knows what else was changed.

Ken can't be that hard. He is one of the best characters for getting in front of his own fireball. You should be able to do at least one super impractical combo that way.
Is a focus attack the only thing that causes enough stun to use with Yoga Catastrophe? You can't do something like target combo -> hp dp or lk. hk YC interrupt?
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm pretty sure that's a negative, cuz Yoga Catastrophe (and Akuma's air FB) causes more hitstun than regular projectiles. Back when i was testing trading Gief's standing fierce against different projectiles, those two never worked and it didn't even look close.

The only thing that Ken has which causes extended hitstun is EX FB, which is useless because the Yoga Catastrophe will eat it up just like it ate up Gief's green hand. Don't be fooled, lvl2/lvl3 Focus Attack crumple stun is a LONG time, especially if you trade hits which reduces your hitstop by a lot too (while the opponent still goes through the same histop period).

Btw i reorganized a lot of that SF4 juggle babble and reposted it here as a SF4 Combo Exploration article. It's still incomplete but hopefully it'll give people something to talk about.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Yeah you can see it here and in a few other vids.

So you guys are saying i should leave out Ken's six? (Why?)

Guess i'll try to find other stuff first. If i can find enough material to do four or five combos, i won't need to include it.
Oh I'm interested in seeing Ken's six, but...you said 7. That's one more than 6.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hahaha nice. Yeah you're definitely right on that one. But i'm thinking ... for everyone else, they don't know about the possibility of seven. So in the meantime, wouldn't it be cool to see six since that's one more than five? Plus Ken might actually be able to do something cool after that last Focus Attack, whereas Fuerte couldn't do anything but run around aimlessly, which i admit wasn't very satisfying.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Hahaha nice. Yeah you're definitely right on that one. But i'm thinking ... for everyone else, they don't know about the possibility of seven. So in the meantime, wouldn't it be cool to see six since that's one more than five? Plus Ken might actually be able to do something cool after that last Focus Attack, whereas Fuerte couldn't do anything but run around aimlessly, which i admit wasn't very satisfying.
yeah you shoulda canceled it to run back -> slam himself on the ground, or the LK variation, where he just kinda spins.

but yeah, going with Ken "Oh wow, SIX focuses!" then busting out 7 is so cheap haha but it'll work nicely. There go the "four focus" videos
Maj

Post by Maj »

How sure are we that Seth has 700 vitality? Cuz after hitting Seth with 7 of Ken's low fierces (100x4 + 95x2 + 90 = 680), Ken's c.MP (53 damage at 75%) still doesn't wipe out his lifebar. Even j.MK (60 damage at 75%) doesn't clear it all. Seth's lifebar seems closer to around 750 points.

In fact if you get Seth's dizzy resistance up to 900, Gief can do counterhit j.U+HP, s.MP xx EX greenhand (dizzy), ultra which is 706 damage and he's still got a visible slice of lifebar left over.

Man, what a ripoff. I might've had a 100% damage combo with Ken if it wasn't for this misprint.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yah, that misprint is stupid, Seth have 750 HP.

Btw, I noticed yesterday that Rose f.HK puts them in juggle state when it hits AA. Was this known?

EDIT: Bah, it just combos into super or 1 hit EX soul spark. Rose has no combos XD But you can do a f.HK juggle after FA, at least that's something.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj wrote:I'm pretty sure that's a negative
How about juggling with a hp. dp could you do an antiair hp. dp (YC interrupt), hp. dp (YC interrupt) ...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hm, i don't think that would work for more than two reps, although the EX version might work for more. Plus Ken is invincible during all the active frames for the first hit, so you have to get two hits at least. But the Yoga Catastrophe might pull him in too fast and connect all at once. Anyway i'll give it a shot. I wanted to include a fierce DP trade combo anyway.

Speaking of which, i'm looking forward to making the Dhalsim video because when i was messing around with Gief, i found that you can get behind Sim and reach through him with Gief's c.HP or something. Then the Yoga Catastrophe will continue pulling him in but the hits will be spaced out, so Sim can do normal moves or whatever while this is all happening.
error1

Post by error1 »

It will probably just pull him in. Seth's spin kicks should be insane with the Yoga Catastrophe setup provided you can get it to trade normally, I may give that a try myself.
edit: you can link off a meaty f+mk poke
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha i've already got that in a combo, though you can't do much after it because he ends up pretty far away from them. Ken has a lot of heartbreaker combos that are one frame away from working.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Oh, speaking of bad voice acting (a few pages ago) my bro just sent me this link. Too good.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Hm, looks like Ken can't do the Fuerte combo. Sadness.

Ken's Focus Attack literally does not move a pixel, whereas El Fuerte's Focus Attack takes a giant step forward. Even kara-canceling F+MK into Focus Attack isn't enough. Guess i'll just do a simple trade and do four Focus Attacks instead of six, only because i found kind of a cool finisher.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Hey Maj - thanks so much for the special thanks - sounds redundant, but...thanks!
Maj

Post by Maj »

No problem dude. I'm gonna continue listing three names per video without repeating anyone so i'll probably end up going through every active poster on this forum by the time i'm done. If anyone wants to be mentioned then just mess around with the character i'm working on at the time and share whatever weirdness you happen to notice. I'll probably end up having a queue to get through so it might not happen immediately, but if you really want your name in a video i'll get to it eventually.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Goddamn, Blanka has no combos whatsoever. He would be soooo much better if he could combo into lvl2 Focus Attack. But nothing works right. Somehow his stupid super only juggles once and i guess the rest of the hits are automatic from there. If you do two-hit super, you can't do another super afterwards. But if you do one-hit super then the second super only connects once. Every barrel on that entire distillery stage is filled with haterade.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Man i'm really glad that guy picked Ken instead of Blanka from my list. Blanka has a grand total of like one advanced combo. All i can think of is full screen HP ball against Gen's diveby super, which instantly puts Blanka in very brief ground hitstun. Where you end up is kinda random, but sometimes he can do another HP ball xx super. Maybe i can get low jab into HP ball, but i don't even know about that because you gotta be really close in order to cancel out of HP ball. It's only considered grounded for a short time.

Other than that, all i've got is getting hit out of ultra and hoping it creates a juggle setup. I haven't tried that yet but let's just say i'm not holding my breath. It's sad when a character's best combo is already in his hard trial. And why the hell did LP super only hit once here? At least don't bounce away when that happens! Stupid character.

If the next guy picks Blanka, i might do a Blanka/Honda split but i bet it would be a huge step down from the Ken episode. Ah well, hopefully people will understand.

I'm still amazed at how difficult it is to predict who's gonna have interesting combos in this game.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

super hits more than once in the corner.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah it usually hits more than once. In the corner against a jumping opponent, you can do HP super and make it so that the ground roll only hits them once before Blanka touches the corner and stops. That's what i referred to earlier when i said "two-hit super."

But hitting them only once and still bouncing off? That doesn't make any sense. SF4's combo system isn't friendly to Blanka at all.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Nah, none of his specials or supers are particulary combo friendly. But have they ever been? Btw, is it possible to combo into Blankas ultra with something other than c.MK? I can't pull it off with FA.

Maj

Post by Maj »

I've done it with lvl3 Focus Attack. You just gotta find the earliest possible time that you can cancel into forward dash without killing the Focus Attack. If you start charging early enough then you can do ultra before they fall over. It's kinda hard but i was doing it on a pad so it's feasible.

Combo-wise he's obviously good in CvS2 and SFA3 because of Custom Combos, but he's actually kinda decent in CvS2 without Customs because you can do a lot of corner tricks to get his supers to stop without bouncing away. It works in SF4 too like i mentioned, but you just can't add anything afterwards.

Hell, even his B+MP command normal doesn't knock down airborne opponents.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I always thought it was an overhead, found out today that it wasn't XD

Btw, can't you do some link combo into c.MK to ultra? or is it only s.MP that links to c.MK?

Maj

Post by Maj »

I think B+MP becomes an overhead if you hold the button for a while. Or maybe that just makes it slower in case you want to play the "Blanka Eat Fireballs" minigame, i dunno. Still doesn't knock down airborne opponents though.

I'm sure he's got some interesting links, but it's kind of flat, you know? I can't think of anything unexpected i can do in the middle of combo to really surprise people.

On the plus side, i think i solved my range problem with the Gen setup. I'm gonna try having Gen backdash through (or jump over) Blanka ball and then do his HP super from behind, so that Gen gets sucked towards Blanka when they trade.

Also maybe Blanka can do counterhit ball into lvl2 Focus Attack. Then what? Link into ultra or do another ball xx lvl1 Focus Attack?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I dunno, some chars are just boring.

Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Kinda sounds like Rose's problem. See, you "wasted" all the really interesting setups on characters that have a lot of shit they can do. Now you're left with boring characters that need all the help they can get, lol.

At least Rose has a slow fireball though.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, Rose has some things she can do thanks to reflect and LP soul spark. I wonder if you can ultra Gouken after hitting him in the air with a HP reflected hadouken, as his hadoukens can juggle indefinetaly.

EDIT: Lol, it worked.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Goddamn that's brilliant. Try it!
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, it works.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Didn't know, so the projectile you reflect keeps all the properties you had before the reflect?

error1

Post by error1 »

You should put Seth and Dan on your list, Seth because he has the strangest combos in the game and Dan because he is awesome.