Random Obscure Findings

talk about how great training mode is
desk

Re: Random Obscure Findings

Post by desk »

Maj wrote: You can even charge for Headbutt while this is going on...
woah! I did not know this. Is it combo-able? I'm going to have to test that out myself.

thanks maj! :)
Maj

Post by Maj »

fullmetalross wrote:I don't know if this is an HD glitch or its in normal st, but cammy (and apparently fei long) have to randomly block sagats standing short low.
Just tested it out and turns out it was in classic ST. Weird, but then again, there are only like two people in the world loco enough to pick Cammy or Fei Long against Sagat in that game.

desk wrote:Is it combo-able?
Kinda hard to combo Headbutt cuz it has so much startup, but i'm sure you can come up with something that looks surprising/cool for a video if you want.
desk

Post by desk »

^^yeah I kind of bypassed my common sense because the idea of that combo is too cool, lol. Repeated standing jabs into a FlashKick style move would look insane in st. Even now I'm trying to think through what you might be able to link into that might combo but I don't think anything would work. I'm still going to test it out though, sounds fun.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Maj wrote:Did you guys know that ST Balrog has some fucked up chains off low short?
Craaaaazy!
fullmetalross wrote:I don't know if this is an HD glitch or its in normal st, but cammy (and apparently fei long) have to randomly block sagats standing short low.
Pretty sure Sagat's st.Short hits low against everyone, even in original ST. (Or are you talking about the second hit of his st.Short?)
desk

Post by desk »

I just had a little mess around with the boxer chains. You probably implied this in your first post but you can keep whiffing them when you go out of range and you remain standing while still charging down.

It would look awesome as a random clip in a video. Boxer just whiffing jabs against honda, then honda headbutts towards him, boxer in turn whips out a random buffalo to counter. This would be awesome because a) you're expecting the jabs to counter the headbutt and b) you would never, ever expect a buffalo because he normally can't charge.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Here's a minor CvS2 Kyosuke test i'd been meaning to conduct for a long time. As everyone knows, crouch canceling jump landing doesn't preserve any important properties in CvS2, but turning around does. When Kyosuke superjump cancels his DF+HK launcher, he gets the ability to perform air chains until he reaches neutral state. It's possible to preserve this ability by switching sides with the opponent to make Kyosuke turn around when he lands, and holding F/B to start walking forward or backward immediately upon landing. All you have to do is delay the jump cancel so that you fly over the opponent, and you also have to perform a normal air attack (hit or whiff) during the jump to make it work. Jumping normal attacks increase landing recovery which helps you avoid the neutral state upon landing, but air special moves don't work because they always force you into neutral when you land.

Ok, so Kyosuke lands on the other side of the opponent and preserves his air chain ability by walking. What i wanted to test was whether his air chains juggle inherently or whether the launcher was an essential part of the setup. As i suspected, Kyosuke can simply jump at an airborne opponent and perform air combos without using a launcher to put the opponent into any kind of special state. It makes sense because Kyosuke can always cancel jumping light attacks into air special moves and those special moves will juggle even though they don't have any inherent juggle potential otherwise.

Oddly enough, enabling air chains using EX-Groove doesn't give Kyosuke automatic/permanent access to air combos. We've always known this to be the case but i always that it was an EX-only issue. Capcom must have added some kind of extra restriction to keep EX-Kyosuke honest.

Another thing i'd been meaning to test forever was whether Guile's F+HP backfist was cancelable into specials and supers. It's easy to verify that it can't be canceled into Flash Kick or Taunt, but testing super canceling required a program pad to delay the inputs. What i ended up doing was charging DB, waiting in neutral, pressing DF, waiting a couple more frames, then pressing F+HP after the window for the Sonic Boom expired, and then completing the rest of the inputs for Guile's supers. Tried all three supers and none of them worked. Then i replaced F+HP with s.HP and that worked. I was careful to allow plenty of time for the F+HP to connect, so i'm certain that it wasn't a matter of attempting the super too early.

Surprisingly, it turns out that charge DB, DF, DB, F+P is sufficient to execute Guile's Sonic Hurricane, as well as his Total Wipeout super with kick instead of punch. That actually made the backfist cancel test a little more difficult, because i couldn't wait until after the DB input to attempt the F+HP backfist. Still, nothing a program pad couldn't solve.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

NKI wrote:
Maj wrote:Did you guys know that ST Balrog has some fucked up chains off low short?
Craaaaazy!
Pretty sure Sagat's st.Short hits low against everyone, even in original ST. (Or are you talking about the second hit of his st.Short?)
Randomly the second hit will hit low, the spacing seems picky... But I didn't know that the first hit did, thats pretty cool.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Double post but its something else soooo whateva...

Ryu can link his close standing mk into fp dp on a regular standing makoto... timing seems strict plus it may be one of those picky 3s links where you have to do it on the right movement frame. Haven't gotten it on anyone else yet.. but on crouching akuma I got st.mk, stunned, kara dp to combo.

LIttle more testing: ON standing makoto if you kara dp seems like it always works! On crouching yun Kara dp will also hit.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Did you guys know that in all SF2 games, all three of Guile's Sonic Booms generate different amounts of pushback? I didn't know that 'cause my Sonic Booms don't get blocked* but i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere either. Blocked LP Sonic Boom causes almost no pushback while blocked HP Sonic Boom generates as much pushback as a connected Sonic Boom (all three of which are equal). Pushback from blocked MP Sonic Boom is somewhere between LP and HP versions. Yet another ghetto discovery brought to you by HD Remix.

*Ok so maybe the real reason is that most of my Sonic Booms connect in the corner.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Good shit!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay, i'm not even sure what to make of this, but fallot asked about comboing into ST Ken's super in the SRK Combo Help thread, which led to the discovery that hold HP, c.LK, c.LK, D, DF, F, D, DF, F+LK works consistently even if you continue holding LK and HP.

Why the fuck should that work? My assumption was that the c.LK, c.LK, D, DF, F, D, DF, F+LP+LK method of renda-kara-canceling into Ken's super worked because of the LP negative edge, but i guess that's not the case. Super Turbo is weird.
desk

Post by desk »

that's very strange, you can hold any punch button and it works. Just trying some stuff out now.

EDIT: whoa!! try this...

hold fierce, cr. short, cr. short, dp+short.

also, with fei it's possible to do this...

hold any punch (I used fierce) , st. short, st. short, qcf+short for a 3 hit combo

that last one isn't consistent because I'm not sure why it works (or fails to work). I just did it a bunch of times though

?!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha, that is really strange. I can't believe nobody's found this stuff in the fourteen years that ST has been around.

In other news, i was mashing on Hsien-Ko's taunt in Gem Fighter in order to see all the different objects she can produce and suddenly it stopped working. Turns out that you can only taunt sixteen times per match, and the count gets carried over between rounds. I tested it with four different characters and the same limit applied. Finally, i tested it with Dan and found that he has no apparent limit. Then again he has like four different taunts and he actually gets meter for taunting. If anyone was gonna be the exception, it was bound to be him.
NKI

Post by NKI »

This is a really crazy find, and I've been meaning to test out some stuff...just haven't had time yet. :-(

I'd be interested to know if this works in CPS1 games. I'm wondering if maybe this is a side-effect of CPS1 chains being removed.
Maj

Post by Maj »

In the original Street Fighter game, the maximum number of playable rounds was three. That meant if 1P won the first round and 2P won the second round then they had a draw game in the 3rd round, the game would declare a tie and both players would lose their quarters. "Game Over" screen, peace out.

What's even crazier is that if 2P wins the first round, the second round is a draw, and 1P wins the third round, you still get rocked by the instant Game Over screen. No opportunity to continue or anything. Enter your intials if you got a high score and walk away from the machine.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

In Samurai Shodown 5sp the character Rera can mount her wolf and move around/attack, kind of like switching stances. During this wolf-stance her attacks and movements change significantly.

So this is what I found:
- She can dash cancel her normal attacks.
- During a dash if you press up for 1 frame while facing the opponent it will cancel the dash and she will return to neutral standing.
- Two heavy slashes in a row will knock down the opponent, but low and medium slash won't.

Results: She can [medium slash dash cancel quick stop medium slash]xN

Resulting in an infinite, from in front of the opponent.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
error1

Post by error1 »

nice, the other day I realized you can do ground moves in the air in msh vs sf by sending the opponent flying while flying.
NKI

Post by NKI »

error1 wrote:nice, the other day I realized you can do ground moves in the air in msh vs sf by sending the opponent flying while flying.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can do this in XSF too. (Featured in NKI Volume XI, at 2:55. Dic does a team super while flying, which causes the weird slowdown on his Kneepress Nightmare.)

You're talking about when you're flying, and you do an air combo that activates flying screen, then you do an attack as you're forced to dash on screen?
error1

Post by error1 »

Yes, the exact same as that, I figured it was already known. Not very useful there are only two flying char in msh vs sf and they are also in xsf
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Xenozip. wrote:In Samurai Shodown 5sp the character Rera ....
Regarding this, a video:
youtube.com/watch?v=1OtWTIYbFC0
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
onReload

Post by onReload »

In SFIII: 3rd Strike, the VS. SUV bonus round has two grades (written onscreen): GREAT or EXCELLENT, provided you completely destroy the car. The only 100% way to get an EXCELLENT I have found is to:

1. Beat the car on (assuming the player is 1P) the left side until the fender sticks up.
2. Hitting it until one more set of flying debris appears.
3. Without hitting the car again, switch sides and finish it however you like on the right side.

EXCELLENT is worth 50,000 points, whereas GREAT is only worth 30,000. So, while you lose time switching sides, it's generally better if you play the game so much that you end up wondering what the best ways to earn points are. (Like...me, for instance.)
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

In the Xbox360 version of MvC2 there is a weird combo you can do with magneto that you're not supposed to be able to do. http://magnetro.com/magneto_1080_combo.avi Sorry for making the black into a gray. :(
Maj

Post by Maj »

Messing around in WW, i noticed that blocking under Hurricane Kicks is kind of sticky. Turns out that as long as there's an attack on the screen for your character to try to block low, he'll get stuck in that position. You can even do a crouching or even standing attack and it'll go the wrong way. However if you try to block high, your character will turn around. Tried it real quick in CE and HF but they must have fixed it. Since there are so few playable characters in WW, it's not particularly useful as a combo setup so i recorded this instead:

SF2WW Super Sumo Sphere

Had to use LP versions because the screen doesn't scroll fast enough to use MP/HP versions without Honda getting hit.

The most interesting thing is that i'm holding Down-Right with Honda the entire time and it counts as DB charge.
SlimX

Post by SlimX »

Hahah loved it. Would like to see just that tiny clip (after they start rollin') stuck into a larger video
"Man, you being proud of me got in the way, bitch!"
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thank you sir. WW probably has enough weird shit to make a great nonsense video, but i'm too busy with other projects and i don't know of anyone else messing around with these old games. I was thinking about duct taping four or five clips together to make bi-weekly or monthly randomness vids to post as a blog special. I'll include it in one of those, unless you happen to be working on a larger video that Honda and Blanka could call home.
onReload

Post by onReload »

As I'm usually playing 3rd Strike (via cps3emulator) when bored, I discovered something (that I haven't tested on PS2, DC, Arcade, or Mame32+, but might eventually: )

After doing 12's neutral throw on Urien or Gill, when they hit the ground, they make Ken's get-hit sound. Try it out.

^ I got very excited by this as I've never seen it mentioned, but I'll be pretty sad if it's emulator only bullshit
onReload

Post by onReload »

Hey, does anyone know the formula for when Vega/Balrog loses his claw and mask? I don't know if it's the same as the SF2 series, and I don't know where to find that info either. Thanks.

[edit] I'm finding that it seems to be like stun, as though the more hits Vega takes in a row, the more likely they are to break off...anyone?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I guess it has with how much he gets hit in a certain timespan, because he usually drops both during Seths ultra. They fly out of his yinyang XD
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

I've never seen claw info posted for the SF2 series. I'm pretty sure it's random within some predetermined range.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Found out that Cammy can Focus absorb the first hit of Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken, then backdash cancel into blocking the other 4 hits. Not sure which Punch was used, better off asking error :D

I'm guessing that she has a fast backdash, so her invincibility frames start early?