Ghetto Obsolete Terminology

reference materials and general how-to information
Maj

Ghetto Obsolete Terminology

Post by Maj »

While i'm sure everyone can agree that establishing proper terminology standards is important, it's also fun to look back at the pre-SRK days and check out how people were communicating back then. A decade is like a century in internet time.

Today i was looking for the official name of some move in SFA1 and i stumbled across this gem:

Unofficial Street Fighter Alpha FAQ v0.9 by Dark Avenger
- Akuma's Raging Demon is listed as "Bison Killer"
- Guy's supers are listed as "Bushido Fury" and "Bushido Rage"
- tons of crazy errors like listing an HCF+P red fireball for Ryu
- claims that Sheng Long, Spiral, and Wolverine are in the SFA
- Ken's Shoryu Reppa is listed as "Violent Dragon" which SNK clearly stole

He's also got something inexplicable listed for Birdie:
"Magic Throw - Air Block Fireball, 360+HP when Birdie touches the ground"

I can't tell if this guy is a raving lunatic or if he invented chicken blocking tricks thirteen years ago.
Magnetro

Re: Ghetto Obsolete Terminology Depository

Post by Magnetro »

I heard this one guy at FFA call the Raging Demon the "Karma Sutra". The sad thing is this was a few months ago.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

But, Shen Long IS in SFA.

Here's some new-gen bullshit

- MBAC Nero's 4C being referred to as "Mantis Dick".
- MBAC Nero's j.C being referred to as "Tyrant"
- MBAC Ciel's "Halo" and EX-Halo being mistranslated as "Heiro", which became so commonplace that the correct translation has been disregarded in the community.
- MBAC Ren's "Neko Rocket" being mistranslated as "Tin Cat", which again became so commonplace that the real translation is disregarded in lieu of the mistranslation.
- The MBAC function of shield bunker empty-cancelling being referred to as "Bara" is a completely arbitrary label that the community made up on the fly, and because we enjoy screwing with particular members in the community, the technique was also associated with a completely fabricated non-existent Japanese player who was said to have discovered it.
- My fault entirely for MBAC Aka.Akiha (vermilion Akiha) being referred to sometimes as "Aquiha".
- Any semi-stationary projectile that hits multiple times being referred to as "Aegis Reflector", including but not limited to MBAC Hisui's EX Dust, GG Venom's Dark Angel (bonus because it's pink), and Monster Orju's dots.
- SF3 Yun's Gen'ei Jin referred to as "Genjin".
- SF3 Elena's HK's referred to as "Chainsaw"
- 3S Chun's vertical j.HK referred to as "Spread Eagle".

Yet ironically, thanks to Naruto, not a single person I've met has referred to Ibuki's j.qcf as anything other than it's actual correct label "Kunai".
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

Um, Birdie actually HAD that magic throw in some version of SFA1. I clearly remember this. Maybe my memory has been destroyed by years of being alcohol free, but I'm 100% sure (not even only 99% sure). Cancelling the landing of an airblock into 360+K played the grab part, a-la SSF2 Zangief.

Aegis Reflector is also applied to Potemkin's Giganter, and I've seen a bunch of people type "Cages Reflector" because you usually throw a fireball and supercancel to Aegis, giving "K-" "Aegis".
Lots of people in the GG community called Roman Cancels "Romantic" until about GGXX Slash.

Mike Z
ikusat

Post by ikusat »

Ghetto Obsolete Terminology and no one has mentioned:

Jab
Strong
Fierce
Short
Forward
Roundhouse

Come on!
error1

Post by error1 »

I don't think those count because that's the official name capcom used to call them.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

well technically raging demon is also a fan made term. Since its Shun Gokou Satsu or something, aka instant hell murder.

reminds me of the "murder death kill" from demolishion man.

think back to all the names of the specials, like Guiles Jack Knife kick, Zangiefs Screw driver lol
onReload

Post by onReload »

A lot of it varies from arcade to arcade

Nobody wants to say kongou kokuretsu zan for akuma's new lvl. 3 in 3rd strike, or kkz or whatever would make sense, so the people i know say "mt. fuji."

mt. fuji.
Maj

Post by Maj »

onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:Ground Pound!
Never noticed that before...

I like how Akuma does that for his last win pose in SF4. There's a bunch of tiny little references that dance around 3rd Strike, as if to tease us with, "Sorry, we still think your game sucks."

I saw one FAQ for Alpha Akuma that instead of saying Tiger Knee, or 2369, or whatever would make sense, it called it "Extended FireBall Motion" or EFB...