SF4 Combo Video Timeline

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

SF4 Combo Video Timeline

Post by Maj »

In the interest of keeping up with the technical development of SF4 gameplay, i figured it would be a good idea to create a thread for all SF4 combo video releases. If you happen to see any full videos or clips anywhere, please share here.

09.01.2008 - Street fighter 4 combos by desk

01.01.2009 - Street Fighter 4 Guile combos by gilley

02.17.2009 - Street Fighter 4 - Ryu & Ken Combo Expo by CSVagrant and Blazt The Speakerz

02.18.2009 - SF4 El Fuerte OTG Combo by cureremonade

02.26.2009 - Street Fighter 4 First Character Trailer~Cammy by Dj-B13

02.28.2009 - no challenge too hard by desk

02.28.2009 - Cammy combo 1 by madt3apar7y

Quick question: Is it possible to capture SF4 in 4:3 full screen aspect ratio similarly to the non-HD option in STHD?
fullmetalross

Re: SF4 Combo Video Timeline

Post by fullmetalross »

My PS3 seems to do this by default when I boot it with the cable select option (boot while holding down the power button) and I have a composite cable plugged in. I'll have to test it out when I get my PVR.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ah ok. Guess i'll find out eventually, since i'm not planning on getting an HD capture card anytime soon.

03.04.2009 - Street Fighter 4 Second Character Trailer~Rose by Dj-B13

03.05.2009 - Street Fighter IV Ryu Practical Combo Video by BigInitialD
03.06.2009 - Street Fighter Ryu Practical Combo Video Version 2.0 by BigInitialD

03.08.2009 - Street Fighter IV Combos by MrWhiteFolks

Some dope cross-under combos in that last vid. Some cool stuff in that Ryu video too, but the fake glitches at the end made me laugh.
desk

Post by desk »

cool to see a proper console combo vid but I have a huge distaste for training mode background videos. I'm hoping the championship update will aid me in making my vid, so I'm not starting on it until that drops.

Does anyone here have a vid in the works at the moment?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Wellllll I sort of am. But the problem is currently my newly purchased pvr has crapped out on me and I haven't had time to try and fix it. I do have some ideas for some combos and am working on more.

Mr. whitefolks video is cool, my main complaint is that the viper combos either used too much meter (ie he could have just don super jump canceled SA instead of EX SADC or he didn't feint where he could of. which is sort of annoying. But overall cool stuff. The cross up combos were pretty dope and the bison anti-air saving attack one was especially cool.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I gotta say though, this shit is pretty weak. I'm not exaggerating when i say that i have hundreds of CvS2 combo videos weighing in at 10+ gigabytes, or some such ridiculous number. CvS2 was not exactly a popular game - not at the outset, not in the middle, not at the end.

Conversely, SF4 redefines the word "popular." How is it that SF4 is producing such a pathetic response? I honestly didn't have an explanation to reconcile this discrepancy until talking with jchensor earlier today.

We decided it's not that the engine is more restrictive, because we haven't even finished exploring the "day one" shit. We haven't even found the first glitch, or fully dissected the juggle system, or found a way to perform the first "illegal" juggle. No, there's plenty left to do and show off.

It's that SF4 has online play.

If you have CvS2 at home, you've really got nothing to do but mess around in training mode. Now if you've got SF4 at home ... fuck. That game is gonna keep you busy. With CvS2, if you happened to live in Wisconsin, the only way to throw your name into the community at large was to make a video. Even if it ran for two minutes and contained only one cool thing, it was still enough to get you 15 minutes of fame. Nowadays you can simply participate in online matchmaking which completely eradicates that other creative element.

Plus this game has us all beating the same CPU opponents 70 times apiece to unlock new colors and taunts and medals and achievements and all sorts of other dumb meaningless shit. So yeah, i now have an official explanation. Saddest victory ever.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

You are correct sir. Time to figure shit out I guess.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh i wasn't trying to tell anyone here to do anything different. After all, we've got maybe ten people who still check by on anything remotely resembling a regular schedule. It was simply an observation based on something that was puzzling me. Hopefully once everyone gets tired of survival mode, they can start working on combo/tutorial videos. There's a lot of people out there with the game.

In the meantime, this thread can get back on track ... just as soon as someone releases a new video.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ah here we go. Not exactly new but they'll have to do.

02.27.2009 - Street Fighter IV Sakura Combo Video by syxx573

03.03.2009 - Cammy Combo - Next SF4 combo video preview by syxx573

That last Sakura combo looked like it was shaping up to be something awesome, but he kinda chickened out at the end.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Two more trailers ...

03.05.2009 - Street Fighter 4 Third Character Trailer~Gouken by Dj-B13

03.09.2009 - Street Fighter 4 fourth Character Trailer~Sakura by Dj-B13

I'm always amazed by how worthless Ultras become if you combo them.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Gouken's don't but Sakura's all the damage is in the first few kicks.
Maj

Post by Maj »

03.25.2009 - SF4 Simultaneous Supers/Ultras by Jinrai

03.28.2009 - Zangief Throw Exhibition by ShinjiGohan and me

03.31.2009 - Street Fighter IV Combo Video Vol. 1 by Evil Hoshi

Some of those simultaneous super exchanges are truly puzzling. Most moves trade or simply pass through one another, but it looks like Abel's supers, Gen's kick supers/ultras, and Dan's ultras actually interact in unique ways. Or maybe that's just what their hits look like when they trade, which would suggest that Gen's kick supers/ultras are actually hits and not true throws.

Last video is pretty dope. I like the Ryu combo at 0:53 where he creates a juggle setup by making the second hit of j.MP whiff. That Dan combo at 2:56 is pretty cool too, cuz i didn't know the second and third hits of air EX Dankukyaku would animate/juggle if the first hit whiffed.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Yeah he did versions of two combos I was working on.

He linked off of ken fp dp with dash up cr.lp after only 1-hit fadc.
And he did that ryu combo I had, but I ended mine with ultra just for fun.... : (
stupid pvr breaking.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha, them's the breaks. It's alright though. You were coming up with advanced/unconventional combo ideas for CvS2 way late into the game's life cycle. You shouldn't stress over someone beating you to a couple of flashy week-one tricks. But yeah, i hope your tech gets fixed soon.
Maj

Post by Maj »

04.10.2009 - Street Fighter 4 - Ryu & Ken Combo Expo 2 by CSVagrant and Blazt The Speakerz

04.10.2009 - Street Fighter 4 Exhibition from Lausanne by Nitrojetforce

04.18.2009 - Sakura basics: Tipps and Tricks by Groovy

04.22.2009 - Ryu Combo Video by Vash

That second Ryu and Ken Expo is much better than the first and the Sakura video has nice intro editing, but overall these things are starting to get incredibly repetitive. If any of you guys following SF4 see a nice video, i'd really appreciate some help in keeping this thread updated. As it is i don't follow the game that closely but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't interested in staying up to date with combo system developments.
desk

Post by desk »

04. 25. 2009 - Various character combos by Toki

04. 26. 2009 - 16th characters trail: Ryu djb13

04. 26. 2009 - 17th character trail: Claw djb13

The Akuma combo in the first vid is pretty sweet. It would be cool to see it taken a bit further.
Maj

Post by Maj »

That Toki guy's whole video is great. I don't recognize the name but i'm definitely waiting to see more from that guy. Dhalsim combo at 1:18 and Chun combo at 4:29 were my favorites. Also it was funny how he dashed back and forth with Dan at 3:26 before doing the Ultra.

Seth's vacuum move still connects as a juggle hit after a full DP chain? Crazy.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Yeah EX dp against most of the cast you can use a regular fp dp against seth and abel... seth seems to have alot of moves with really high juggle limits. Toki's video is by far the most interesting so far.
Maj

Post by Maj »

03.22.2009 - Rufus Combo Movie by Adonny

04.04.2009 - OHT Chun-Li Combos - FA2 Backdash stomp set ups #1 by OneHandedTerror
04.04.2009 - OHT Chun-Li Combos - FA2 Backdash stomp set up #2 by OneHandedTerror

Kinda old/obscure, but that Rufus video has some really clever editing and the Chun clips demonstrate some cool-looking juggle setups.
Maj

Post by Maj »

05.08.2009 - Cammy Combo Exhibition by Dj-B13

I'm not sure if this is the follow-up to that very first Cammy trailer he posted, or if it's a standalone video outside of that series, but it's pretty funny. I guess with an outfit like Cammy's alt, either you shy away from it or you exploit it. That zoom halfway into the video made me laugh.

What's happening on the left at 0:24? Is Cammy recovering from dizzy and then going straight to victory animation? If so, that's pretty clever. The final combo is especially awesome - really great way to end the video.

The whole thing is nicely edited, but i'm not sure i like this gimmick of removing all the lifebars. Maybe it would be okay if the combo counter was displayed, but how can we even be sure that none of those hits are blockable? Also it kinda sucks not being able to see the damage. I mean it's a cool little tool for adding a little icing on the cake but i don't think it should be used for the meat and potatoes (of the cake).
Toki`

Post by Toki` »

05.20.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJV3Td3PcuU&fmt=18 by Toki`

05.25.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz0M77HUqOQ&fmt=18 by Toki`

nothing special, just tried out a few things. sorry @ desk for stealing ur 4xFa in one combosetup, but it was just too dope :)
onReload

Post by onReload »

Some good shit in there - what's the soundtrack?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay, now things are finally starting to heat up across the board.

05.28.2009 - Street Fighter IV Dan Combo Collection by abosirom
06.08.2009 - Street Fighter IV Dan Combo Collection 2 by abosirom

05.31.2009 - Burning Vigor Crappy SF4 CV!!!!! by burningvigor

06.26.2009 - Street Fighter IV Various Character Combo Exhibition Video by Dj-B13

Removing lifebars/counters is still annoying. I hope it doesn't become the next trend.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Seems like we have a couple of interesting developments in the SF4 combo world.

04.11.2009 - SF4 Chun-Li 31 Hit Combo 698 Damage by DKIIDX
07.08.2009 - SF4 Chun Li New 700+ Damage Combos by DKIIDX

04.18.2009 - Street Fighter 4 - Sakura 30 hit Combo! by Ponlork Heng aka The Boss

08.02.2009 - Sagat Empire Combo by Gasp
08.03.2009 - Sagat Empire Combo 2 by Gasp
08.04.2009 - Sagat Stupid Combo by Gasp
08.04.2009 - Ryu Combos by Gasp

08.03.2009 - SF4 Horse (Fuerte combo) by MIMIC8801
08.03.2009 - SF4 Horse (Round 2) by MIMIC8801

There are also quite a few PC version vids popping up, but nothing worth mentioning yet because most of 'em seem to abuse infinite super meter or have crazy slowdown during ultras which has me a little concerned going forward.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Maj wrote:crazy slowdown during ultras which has me a little concerned going forward.
Yeah i've seen that once or twice on youtube, but I don't have any problem with it whatsoever. the listed requirements for the game are really low, so maybe people are just being dumb about it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Since SF4 is a 3D game, does the graphics engine animate intermediate frames or simply display duplicates during slowdown? Essentially it's the output framerate getting rocked so it would have to be latter, right?

What about superfreeze slowdown on a console? If this was a 2D game, you'd definitely be seeing duplicates but maybe it actually animates extra frames in certain situations? Might be useful for inducing unusual screenshots or something.
error1

Post by error1 »

In the pc version you can make the refresh rate ether 60 or 75 and make the frame rate fixed or variable. Also the ps3 and 360 version run at a slightly different rate something like 1/30 of a sec for every 50 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdwwf6vaIE. Since it looks like the game doesn't have a fixed frame rate to start with I would be surprised if you couldn't grab any intermediate you wanted with little difficulty.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The real question is if there even are intermediate frames which aren't normally displayed at non-turbo speeds. For example when Ryu throws a fireball, do his hands travel along a smooth continous path or do they simply skip to predetermined points like traditional animation? If it's the latter, slowing it down wouldn't accomplish anything because all you'd get is duplicate frames. To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, simply because it would make frame data that much easier to implement.
error1

Post by error1 »

It's easy enough to check.
I choose the ryu's jab dp to test due to its fast start up and large range of movement.
I made a simple script that did the dp motion and then took a screen cap after a set delay.
According to the frame data there are 3 startup frames and that matches what I found.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84 ... tartup.png
it's hard to tell the difference between the first and second frames. Look at his left foot and it should be more obvious.

throw in some super freeze and it's obvious that there are more frames.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84 ... freeze.png

Note that when your opponent does a super combo your char looks at them.
Also things that move like headbands, belt, and gi have some randomness to there movement and will be in a different place every dp
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nicely done sir! Assuming that's not a turbo speed skipped frame, i think we have our answer. Now i look forward to seeing all kinds of groovy intermediate frame screenshots (in 2012, once everyone runs out of sensible things to pursue).