Failed/Unsuccessful Experiments

talk about how great training mode is
Maj

Failed/Unsuccessful Experiments

Post by Maj »

As in, ideas that you actually tested out and the result was negative.

Throughout the entire SF2 series, if you dizzy the opponent with a throw, they become unthrowable until they recover. What if you throw them without dizzying, and they get up with a reversal special move? Maybe the throw immunity is preserved by avoiding neutral states.

But no, it doesn't work. I tried it in ST with both Ken's LP FB and Chun's LK Lightning Legs as reversals. I also tried dizzying Chun with a throw and having her do reversal LK Lightning Legs as she recovered from the dizzy, but even that is throwable.

However, it does seem that following wakeup animation, the number of unthrowable frames fluctuates wildly regardless of what the opponent does. Sometimes the opponent doesn't do anything but you still can't throw them for like 15+ frames. Sometimes you can throw them in 7-9 frames after wakeup. These are just rough measurements using ghetto macros, but i did do a number of trails with each variation and couldn't reduce the randomness.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Vega Omega told me this one really cool setup that would be awesome for finishing a video. It involved Ryu/Hayato/Zangief vs Anyone/Anyone/Anyone. The setup was Ryu jumps up and does Super + Zangief throw assist then right when Zangief throws the person Ryu DHC's into Hayato's 'Black Hayato' super. It looks really weird when it hits and the person who got hit can move around the whole screen while the super is still going. Here's the cool part: no matter what the other person does, the last hit of Hayato's super will ALWAYS hit, so I wanted to set up some cool-hyper-combo finish thing where the person would try to hit Hayato and the FRAME before he hit, the super would kill the person.

Here's how it didn't work. For some reason the last hit of Hayato's super didn't cause the person to die no matter how low their health was. Not only that but the last hit of the super wouldn't change the person's animation meaning it wouldn't knock them away or anything but it would STILL do damage....O_o. So yeah after much trial and error I settled that it doesn't work for a cool finish 'cause Hayato won't kill the guy no matter what.

Very disappointing because that would have been such a cool way of finishing a video.

=/ There are other failed ideas, but I think that's the worst one.
Maj

Post by Maj »

CvS2 Ryu's two-hit F+HP has -4 frame advantage, but it has a long active phase so it can be used as a meaty combo starter. So i got the idea to spread out the two hits by having P-Ryu parry Gief's c.HP at a distance and then hit it back with F+HP. It sort of worked, in the sense that you can get the second hit to combo yet still connect way late so that Ryu gets a lot of frame advantage. Unfortunately that damn move causes so much pushback that Ryu's c.MK isn't even close to reaching.

CvS2 Chun Li's kick throw actually knocks the opponent into the air after the first hit and the second is a juggle. Interrupting it with Rolento knives allows her to juggle with her puffball super. So i constructed this elaborate setup where Chun Li throws a fireball, then times the kick throw so that the fireball connects just as her grab is about to connect. The idea was to make the kick throw cancelable by having a non-throw hit fulfill the cancelability requirements. But unfortunately it turns out that you can't projectile cancel normal throws. I tried with a couple of other characters with the same negative results. Also tried to cancel A-Dhalsim's teleport by hitting the opponent with his fireball while he's in the middle of the teleport, but it seems you can't projectile cancel teleports in CC either. Or maybe that's just Dhalsim, since Athena and Akuma can do it in CvS2EO P-Groove.

CvS2 Kim can cancel his D,D+K stomp kick into his rush super. So i tried using S-Kim to do his lvl3 upkick super, then run forward a little bit and juggle with the stomp kick canceled into lvl1 rush super. Unfortunately it seems that super-canceling the stomp kick doesn't create a juggle opportunity by itself. You have to do it within a lvl2 cancel glitch for that to work. It's not too surprising, but it was worth a shot.

CvS2 Kyo has a rekka ken which can OTG, and this property can be preserved by avoiding neutral state after the OTG rekka. In Custom Combo mode, he can cancel it and he'll be able to OTG as long as he keeps canceling stuff. So i tried doing the OTG rekka and canceling it into jab, and whiffing jabs until the meter expired. Then i had the opponent walk into the jabs until he got dizzy, then whiffed a few more jabs and kara-canceled one of them into Kyo's lvl1 pillar super. It didn't connect, which indicates that you can't OTG dizzy opponents. There's probably a much easier way to do this using EX-Groove or CvS2EO P-Groove. However, you can CC airthrow dizzy opponents, as shown with A-Ken in the 2hitcombo video.

CvS2 Yamazaki has an interesting projectile reflect, where he absorbs the opponent's projectile and returns fire with one of his own. First off, i tried reflecting Kyosuke's lvl3 FB super, but it didn't do anything special aside from giving Yamazaki a lot of meter. He still created only one fireball. Also used A-Ryu to throw a CC mode fireball at Yamazaki, then had Ryo jump forward to get hit by Yamazaki's snake arm. The goal was to determine whether Yamazaki's reflected fireball retained the CC juggle properties, by having Ryo fall into the reflected fireball. Unfortunately that reflected fireball travels waaaay too fast and disappears too quickly to even test this.

CvS2 Terry's Buster Wolf creates a free juggle opportunity when the last hit connects. For some reason i thought it would be cool to combo into lvl1 Buster Wolf, then juggle with lvl2 Buster Wolf and cancel the first hit into Burn Knuckle. However, it turns out that you can't cancel the lvl2 Buster Wolf until the very last hit, which never even happens unless the opponent is on the ground.

CFE Chun Li has an infinite against Hauzer. It's in the Fun With CFE video that jchensor put together. Actually that Chun infinite is the first and only infinite i've ever found. I was pretty happy about it cuz i wasn't around in XSF days when all my current combo video heroes were finding hella infinites. It's basically Chun doing Lightning Legs while facing away from Hauzer, who is so damn fat that he leans through her and gets sucked towards her. Before CFE was released, i had actually tried this against all the fattest characters in a number of older games but nothing worked. Anyway it's only an infinite until Hauzer gets dizzy, so i tried to do kind of an elaborate continuation where Chun stops doing Lightning Legs exactly when Hauzer gets dizzy. Since Hauzer gets knocked towards Chun, she can kinda duck under him and then start Lightning Legs as he's flying over her. That way she'll be doing Lightning Legs facing away from him once again. However, Hauzer isn't nearly as fat during his dizzy animation so he never leans into her hitbox.

CFE Chun also has a lot of air combo tools, such as her jump-cancelable close s.HK and her j.D+MK stomp which allows her to attack again in the air. I had another idea for an infinite against the bigass dinosaur where she does close s.HK jump cancel j.D+MK, j.HP -> j.HP, close s.HK as a loop. Unfortunately it just doesn't work out because there simply isn't enough hitstun caused by the air attacks to give her time to land and continue the combo. It's only about 5 frames away from working, but there's no way around those 5 frames. Using another stomp only complicates matters because it puts her higher in the air so it takes her longer to land.

CvS2 Akuma has an extremely slow-moving lvl1 super fireball. It's very useful. I had a number of elaborate combo ideas involving A-Akuma activating CC to do lvl1 super FB and getting interrupted so that he can get ahead of it and use it for juggle purposes. My assumption was that interrupting the super right at the beginning of the CC would refund half of the meter, just like hitting someone during CC leaves them with half of their remaining meter. Turns out that's not the case, which makes sense because it would make A-Groove even more powerful. Anyway there's not much you can do without meter in A-Groove, so i gave up on it.
Maj

Re: Failed/Unsuccessful Experiments

Post by Maj »

Here are a couple of ill-fated ideas that omni and i drew up.

CvS2 Sakura's super fireball is unique in that it gradually loses hits as it travels. Once the first hit gets stripped away, its juggle potential shows through. She's pretty much the only character who can do sweep xx super FB as a basic combo. We thought we could take it a step further with c.HK xx lvl2 super FB xx whiff DP+LK (cancel with K), c.HK xx lvl1 super FB against Chun Li. I did actually get c.LK to juggle in that situation, but c.HK is a bit too slow. Also tried trading Sakura's LP DP with Chun's j.D+MK stomp but it produces the same result.

CvS2 Dhalsim has no quick recovery special moves so he can't do anything fancy off a lvl2 cancel. However, when his Yoga Flame connects with the opponent or an opposing projectile, its recovery is shortened considerably. We came up with the idea of doing anti-air B+HK xx lvl2 upflame super xx LP Yoga Flame and putting an opponent's projectile there to cancel out the recovery of Yoga Flame. Sadly, Sim doesn't seem to have a way to move backwards quickly enough. Yeah, superjump back teleport, but that thing is slow too. If lvl2 upflame super had a ton of invincibility, it might be possible to let the opponent's projectile pass through him so he can Yoga Flame it on the other side, but no dice. Last thing i tried was rolling behind Kyosuke's lvl3 lightning launcher super and using sweep to set up lvl2 upflame super, but it disappears when Kyosuke gets knocked down.

CvS2 Balrog might have had a cool combo if he didn't recover so damn slow from Buffalo Headbutt. He floats down like he's wearing a parachute. It sucks because i was thinking of punching Yamazaki's HCF+K counter move then canceling into LP Buffalo Headbutt, then tacking on lvl3 Gigaton Blow. It woulda worked cuz triggering that counter thing freezes both characters for quite a few beats, giving Rog plenty of time to recharge.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

You can't do the Sim one by using the Kyosuke bug and having Sim hit K's helper?
Not that I'd ever be able to set that up, but it's a really slow projectile...

Mike Z
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's a good idea but that Rival Schools nonsense only works off ground projectiles. Kyosuke has to land in order to call in his gang. If you use a standard mid-level projectile, he goes into ground hitstun while in mid air, then simply falls down. I made some clips a long time ago:

CvS2 Final Grade Remix Study

Also even if you managed to set it up, Hinata would come in from behind and immediately start harrassing Sim, which would take quite a bit of time to deal with. You can see an example here:

Ode To The 2-Hit Combo - Extras

There's some Sai-Rec clip of Eagle reflecting Batsu as if he was a projectile, but that kinda stuff is illegal from a super meter standpoint. They do a lvl3 lightning pillar which Eagle starts parrying (to keep it around longer), then Kyosuke recovers and does lvl3 classmates so the lightning pillar launches him clear out of Hinata's reach. It's all sorts of convoluted and if i was to do infinite meter combos, i wouldn't start with this one.

There might be a way to get this Dhalsim combo to work legitimately, but it's gonna take too much brute force frame adjustment with too many possible opponents. Even Akuma's lvl1 super FB is a candidate, by means of hitting it with Yoga Flame right before it dissipates from having traveled the maximum distance. You could get lucky and find it in a day or you could spend a week trying all sorts of configurations without getting any closer to being sure whether or not it's possible. Let's hope someday someone will be bored enough to make it work.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I had a farely hard to time setup with, Terry vs. Ryu in cvs 2. Basically it was just a way to get ryu's lvl1 super fireball to have only one hit hit, and it doesn't knockdown, but there are other ways to set this up, and it didn't lead to anything fruitfull..

Then there was my long experiments with cvs 2 throws to try and get combos off them using knife interrupt setups with rolento and a few other silly setups, then I found out Maj had done it already and I was sad...

currently I'm failing at doing anything useful combovideo wise cause I'm too busy with school and when I get home I just end up trying to increase my actual Vs. skill in cvs 2 then looking for combos. Also the new version of nulldc is whacked and broke controllers so I don't get all 6 buttons.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

also you have a clip that says its kof 98 leona.. that looks like 97 I think. 98s super stocks don't look like that, unless one of the other console versions does...

hmmm watched it again... and then the ryo clip.. Must be a console version.. is that DC?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I tried to do a FSD with mag and anyone...Uh, the clip is pretty self explanatory

Pretty bummed, I'm going to keep messing with the idea but yeah...I dont see this working

http://zachd.com/magnetro/special_fsd_mag_x264.avi
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't think that clip has ever met self explanatory. In fact i'm almost certain they live on different continents.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Shockwave drops certain people when you time it correctly.

You can hear a whistling sound at 4 hits

Hits # 5 & 6 otg (i dont consider it fsd but it technically is)

You hear another whistle before I do the 2nd shockwave.

Ryu gets up faster 'cause he was already otg'd once.

I do another shockwave to set up the main idea.

Ryu Counters out on the 2nd shockwave

Mag tags

The 2nd shockwave was supposed to cause FS and the tag was supposed to just hit BUT NOT BREAK FS. The plan was to have the tag hit while FS was active, walk forward a bit and then hit the person after FS is gone.

Evidently that doesn't work.

If I make the tag hit before the shockwave hits then I'll be able to actually get an fsd since you can otg after a shockwave.

--

The idea I had a long time ago was to do tiger knee tempest instead of the 2nd shockwave and have one of the tempest rocks fly high and:

Ryu would SJ backwards into the air.

Magneto would sj with him and do 1 hit knockdown (impossible) or something like LK MK HK to set FS

The tempest would hit after LK MK HK

mag would get the fsd.

--

anyway, i showed the clip to joo and he sent me a clip using the same idea with a different point character. it's pretty cool looking

Took it down <3

--
The way that one works is:

Servbot does an otg after his CR.HK so that his FS super causes Juggernaut to get up quickly and not get combo'd.

Servbot activates qcfkk before FS happens again

FS is set as servbot bashes juggernaut.

The reason the super gets cut off and the timer is stuck is because during FS mid-screen, the dummy gets pushed back with every hit you do to him much more than normal as seen here from my combovid (notice how capcom is getting pushed back a lot more than normal?)

Servbot dashes in and otgs

and dhcs out.

Wolverine's super gets cut off by servbots 'shockwave-esque super, however since he dhc'd it doesn't cause FS but it STILL keeps the camera focused on the bottom half of the screen. Like with Hulk/Cammy/Tron
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

edit* nvm.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What the fuck!? At least leave a one-sentence summary of what was in your post before you drowned it in white-out. Now it's all ugly and it's cramping the entire forum's style.

Ah, who am i kidding? I'm not angry at you. I'm angry at SvC Chaos. Why the fuck would they make Guard Cancel Attacks cancelable in Maximum Mode and then make it completey impossible to combo after them? Even counterhit isn't enough. I had this super elaborate setup for a dope combo and everything.

SvC Chaos 7281928 - Dreams 0
Maj

Post by Maj »

Most (all?) super moves in CvS2 have this weird C-Groove lvl2 cancel malfunction where canceling on the frame of knockdown impact or juggle impact nullifies the free juggle opportunity you were supposed to get. Most characters don't have this problem on a practical level for one reason or another. For example, Sagat's lvl2 hotfoot stays airborne until well after the last hit, so he couldn't cancel on the knockdown frame even if he wanted.

On the other hand, C-Ken gets owned by this bullshit all the time. Canceling any of the last three hits of his lvl2 Shoryu Reppa on their respective impact frames takes away his juggle opportunity, which is partly why you see so many fierce DP's whiffing in matches. So i thought maybe there was some kind of residual hitbox that lingered briefly following the lvl2 super cancel and actually hit the opponent after the cancel. I tried to kill the opponent with the sixth hit of Ken's lvl2 Shoryu Reppa and cancel it into lvl1 Shoryu Reppa so that the superfreeze happened after KO. No such luck though. I had the cancel timing set so that anytime the opponent survived, the lvl1 super would whiff. Tried like ten times using ppad on slowest game speed and the lvl2 super never canceled after the sixth hit killed the opponent. Too bad, woulda looked cool.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote: So i thought maybe there was some kind of residual hitbox that lingered briefly following the lvl2 super cancel and actually hit the opponent after the cancel.
Like Kyo's?
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Xenozip. wrote:
Maj wrote:So i thought maybe there was some kind of residual hitbox that lingered briefly following the lvl2 super cancel and actually hit the opponent after the cancel.
Like Kyo's?
You mean Kyo's lvl2 Orochinagi? Yeah, except that's a two-hit projectile so canceling it early causes the second hit to connect after the cancel. Also that move has a juggle potential of two, which means both hits will connect if you use it after you trade with DP or something. However if you use it after Kyo's two-hit launcher kicks, then the lvl2 Orochinagi will only juggle once. At that point you have another active flame hit which is whiffing because it doesn't have enough juggle potential to connect, but as soon as you do a lvl2 cancel, it immediately connects and eats up your free juggle.

It all makes sense though, if you keep track of the numbers. On the other hand, this universal lvl2 cancel malfunction happens without any projectiles being involved. I've gotten Guile's Flash Kick to whiff after his lvl2 Total Wipeout and i've also gotten Honda's Hundred Hand Slap to whiff after his lvl2 Headbutt super. I was just hoping to get a cool post-KO superfreeze out of it, in exchange for all the matches it's cost my C-Ken.
desk

Post by desk »

playing hdr akuma just reminded me of this. In ST you can take a hit while blocking if you are hit both high and low on the same frame...

0:43 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGD_X7S-pA

This looks really odd. I was hoping there was some crazy glitch involving this, so the most obvious thing to try were...

a) do this just as you're about to dizzy someone

b) do this just as they are about to KO

Very unexciting, as nothing happens. They just get dizzied or KO, it doesn't even look cool, lol. I tried this ages and ages ago after getting all of the 'float' glitch footage for 'vid of dreams'. Which uses a simlar set up.

meh.

Oh yeah, I'm currently 1 measly hit away from a redizzy on HDR :( Not being able to capture the footage, I'm not sure I can be bothered to spend the time working on it, so that's a fail as well, lol.
AtTheGates

Post by AtTheGates »

worst fail i experienced:

basara X: tried for 3 days to get a 32+ hit combo (for space race infinite) vs. nobunaga (good, wide hitbox) with a unique setup i thought out:

- you hit nobunaga with kenshin's taunt the moment nobu does soul summon, he will get a CH from his own souls + the taunt of kenshin. you need kenshin's taunt since this gives you time to do a followup combo.

- the combo was so strict and specific (and hard) that i was always 2 or 3 hits away from the 32 hit combo.

- after 3 days and about 16,17 crashes in practice, i managed to pull it off, only to realize that space race infinite doesn't work if any of the 32 hits in your combo are off of 2BC. damn.