Majestic Screenshot Gallery

video previews, releases, and feedback
desk

Re: Majestic Screenshot Gallery

Post by desk »

dude some of these are gorgeous. Do you capture them in native resolution? do you reckon any of them would work blown up to wallpaper size? I wouldn't mind stealing a few and trying to make a cool wallpaper out of them if that's be okay with you.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sure, be my guest. All of these are unaltered emulator snapshots, obtained by pressing F12 or whatever. You can resize using Bicubic Resampling to make it smooth, plus you can correct the aspect ratio to 4:3 while you're at it. Or you can multiply the width and height by an integer and use Nearest Neighbor to keep the pixely look, which is my preference generally.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... Super Street Fighter 2:

Image ~~~ Image

For the first time since their introduction nearly three years prior, the four Shadowlaw bosses finally received new animations! I remember most mainstream video game magazines making a huge deal about it, reporting pointless cosmetic changes such as Guile's recolored Sonic Boom and Sagat's updated Tiger Knee. Not gonna lie; it was exciting. The first is SSF2 Balrog's vertical j.HP startup against Vega's s.MK startup. The second is Sagat's vertical j.LK against Bison's HP Devil Reverse, which then lost this particular frame of animation during the transition into ST.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix:

Image ~~~ Image

Every character in GF has unique animations reserved for getting burned, frozen, electrocuted, petrified, poisoned, painted, traumatized, enamored, whirled, and strapped to a rocket. The detail-to-buttons ratio is off the charts. The first is GF Ibuki after getting hit by a Skull item opposite Hsien-Ko after getting hit by Ibuki's D+S paintbrush. The second is GF Tessa after getting hit by a Flame item opposite Felicia after getting hit by a Lightning item.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The craziest thing about ... Street Fighter The Movie:

Image ~~~ Image

Where to begin? This entire game is pure unfiltered crazy. Everyone has two super moves - one classic technique with blue shadows and one original with red shadows. Interrupting active supers does not immediately erase their shadows. Instead they linger until either the character recovers from hit stun or until the shadows' preset timer expires. The first is SFTM Zangief's Flying Airplane Crunch red super grabbing Cammy's Cannon Thrust blue super. The second is Vega's Super Flip Throw blue super grabbing Balrog's Flurry Punch Frenzy red super. (These may or may not be the attacks' official names.) Normally, throw supers don't imbue the opponent with trailing shadows, but catching an opponent's super preserves their existing shadows for a time.
NKI

Post by NKI »

CRAZY!!

And I'm really glad you captured that frame of SSF2 Dic's Devil's Reverse. I bet most people have never seen that before, and probably never knew it existed.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Moral Rivals: Axel and Shiva

Image ~~~ Image

When we were kids, the number of times my brothers and i played through Streets of Rage II must have reached triple digits. For anyone who isn't familiar with this classic Sega Genesis side-scroller, Axel is one of four heroes trying to take down the Syndicate, a crime organization controlled by Mr. X and his bodyguard Shiva. The first is SoR2 Axel's Dragon Wing special attack against CPU Shiva's dashing special attack, while Max makes a premature attempt at attacking the invincible Mr. X with his Thunder Tackle special attack. The second is SoR3 Axel's Flaming Dragon Punch upgraded blitz attack opposite CPU Shiva's entrace animation.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Tournament Rivals: Ryu and Sagat

Image ~~~ Image

The main protagonist versus the final boss of Street Fighter, the game that started it all. The first is SF Ryu's Fireball against CPU Sagat's Tiger Shot, which always pass each other by without colliding. The second is SFA3 A-Ryu's lvl3 Metsu Shoryuken against X-Sagat's Tiger Genocide.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Bitter Rivals: Guile and M.Bison
Image ~~~ Image

Because someone's got to chase Bison into the ugly games. The first is SvCC Guile's LP Sonic Boom against Bison's LP Psycho Crusher. The second is SFTM Guile's Flash Kick Interrupt against Bison's Electric Arc, with Akuma wandering around in the dark background of Bison's Lair. Both characters' lifebars are missing because the "No Meters" code was activated at the character select screen.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I decided i want to add nearly all of these screenshots to the gallery section of my website. It happened about two days ago. They'll be grouped into five pairs per page and i've already plotted out the order. Everything starting from the SSF2 shots forward has been aimed at filling specific gaps.

Now the only thing missing are two pairs of rivalries. Any ideas? I was considering Cammy vs Vega, which would be a decent matchup in SFA3 but there's not much potential in SSF2/ST. Also considered Kaede vs Moriya but neither of them ever got an updated sprite.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Rivalries:

Dan vs. Sagat

Ryu vs. Sagat

Ryu vs. Ken

Bison vs. Guile

Charlie vs. Guile

Charlie vs. Bison

Marvel vs. Capcom
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Maj wrote:Epic Super Clash: Episode 3!
(X-Men versus Street Fighter)

The second is XSF Ryu and Ken's Variable Combination against Akuma's air super FB.
It's been too long since I've looked at this thread, so pardon me for bringing up REALLY old pics but...

This pic REALLY reminds me of an AWESOME pic I got but never captured (just paused the game) on XvSF. It's really similar to this picture. I'll have to figure out a great way to reproduce it (or somehow bait Maj into doing it for me). But it was seriously one of the coolest and funniest pictures I've seen. I'll talk to you about it later, Maj. ^_^

- James
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Maj wrote:Epic Super Clash: Episode 8!
(Street Fighter Alpha 3)

The first is SFA3 A-Blanka's lvl3 Tropical Hazard against A-Honda's lvl3 Fuji Oroshi.
This pic is awesome, if not only for the fact that WTF I had no clue that's what Blanka was doing! I could have SWORN he was just ramming into you headfirst. Who KNEW he was using an elbow??

- James
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

thats his shoulder! haha. Good work on the ssf2 ones, the animations are cool. Bison looks like souther flying to the top of his pyramid in HNK
NKI

Post by NKI »

That's the cold shoulder!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Ideological Rivals: Psylocke and Magneto

Image ~~~ Image

The X-Men struggle to preserve Professor Xavier's dream of peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants, whereas Magneto is a jerk. The first is COTA Psylocke's j.HP (with LK Nin-Jutu in effect) against CPU Magneto's air EM Pulse. The second is SMD XMen2 Psylocke's air Psionic Blade mutant power against CPU Magneto's air Magnetic Blast, with Beast's DF+C Dash underneath. While it was a little hit-or-miss in the gameplay department, X-Men 2: Clone Wars featured an awesome daunting atmosphere to match its ominous storyline.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Rugged Rivals: Wolverine and Juggernaut

Image ~~~ Image

These two tend to end up in a lot of burly bar brawls. The first is SMD XMen Wolverine's Lunging Slash (with claws extended) against CPU Juggernaut's running headcrush, while Nightcrawler recovers from his Teleport mutant power and Archangel backup assist shoots razor blades. Maybe X-Men wasn't one of the better Sega Genesis games, but i always thought the characters looked great. The second is XSF Wolverine's alternate sj.MP startup against Juggernaut's sj.MK trailed by leftover superjump mist.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well sirs, here it is. I humbly present the finished package: http://sonichurricane.com/screenshots.html

There might be typos and such. I haven't had time to double-check everything yet. Everything in the gallery proper has been posted in this thread already, but there are quite a few extras in the ZIP archive which i wasn't planning on sharing otherwise.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Wow, great work. Pimp it out. Get MJ to post it. 8)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Thanks dude. I'll make the rounds after i've had a chance to review everything for accuracy. Barely slept three hours last night - i'm so exhausted right now. The whole thing felt so rushed towards the end that i'm sure i made mistakes. I'd rather catch them first.
NKI

Post by NKI »

NICE!!!
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

That's a really cool summary page, there, Maj. I still wanna cap that one shot I mentioned. Just gotta find the will to pull out my old Saturn and hook everything up to cap it.

- James
Maj

Post by Maj »

Here are some of the more interesting requests that i received while updating on various forums:
On 21st October 2008, at 02:41 PM, on HighVoltageOnline, Maj wrote:
On 21st October 2008, at 02:41 PM, Nezumiiro wrote:Boxer vs Fei pic is awesome! Got it in a bigger size/res?
CPS1/CPS2 native resolution is 384x224 so that's as good as it's gonna get. If you want a bigger version, just use photoshop. Use Bicubic Resampling to make it smooth or use Nearest Neighbor to keep it pixely, but in that case it's probably best to multiply the width/height by an integer.

Proof that i'm not being lazy:

1024 Width @ 4:3 Aspect Ratio (Bicubic) | 3x Zoom (Nearest Neighbor)
On 5th November 2008, at 05:09 AM, on HighVoltageOnline, Maj wrote:
On 4th November 2008, at 05:03 PM, Samuel X wrote:can you make one of that cyclops beam clash in COTA?
Sure thing.

But it looks better in motion: COTA Optic Blast Collisions

Having thought about it some more, it's actually not that surprising that Cyclops' Super Optic Blast would be the only beam super capable of colliding with itself in a non-ghetto manner. It's basically the only beam super left over from COTA, since Capcom changed his Mega Optic Blast for XSF onwards.

COTA's got kind of a broken abusable combo engine, but in terms of attention to detail it is unparalled. Iceman leaves frozen footprints whenever he walks in that game! Since it was Capcom's first Marvel game and since the cast is relatively small, it's easy to imagine someone actually trying to figure out how to make trivial stuff like this look cool. By the time XSF came around, they had a much bigger cast and way more game engine systems to worry about, so nobody took the time to come up with some special way for Ryu's super FB to collide with Akuma's super FB.

Since you guys seemed interested, i captured this too: MvC Royal Flush vs Proton Cannon vs Shinkuu Hadoken

Gambit would have gotten hit at the end too, if Ryu hadn't helped him out. But yeah, there's no fancy collision between Shinkuu Hadoken and Proton Cannon.
On 11-21-2008, at 11:33 PM, on NeoGAF, Majestros wrote:
On 11-21-2008, at 09:48 PM, ElFly wrote:Also, a request. Can you get a screenshot/video of 2 Zangiefs in SFA2 doing their FAB at the same time?

It happened to me twice in my many Zangief vs Zangief battles, and, despite both supers being activated on the same frame, one of the Zangief still grabbed the other. Randomly, I guess.

How's that? Apparently the winner is indeed chosen randomly. I'm guessing that SFA2 Gief's FAB has no invincibility after superfreeze. It still works against anything that can be grabbed because whenever an attack becomes active on the same frame as a throw attempt in any Capcom game, the throw resolves first. Since there's no such thing as trading hits with a throw, Gief will grab anything that's throwable and in range. You can't beat FAB with a normal throw either, cuz superfreeze frame advance makes that impossible. Maybe certain command grabs can actually beat FAB, but superfreeze might make that impossible too.
On 20th December 2008, at 11:19 PM, on HighVoltageOnline, Maj wrote:
On 20th December 2008, at 09:34 AM, carbonater wrote:Maj, if you can, could you capture SvC Chaos Bison during knee press nightmare while his arms are folded?
Are you sure? He only crosses his arms for two of those kicks and he looks really goofy during both.

Image ~~~ Image
NKI

Post by NKI »

EL OH EL!!!

Dictator lookin hella silly in that second pic! He doin the hopscotch trot.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha what? Even u2b doesn't know what that is.

Man i just remembered the weirdest thing about SvC Chaos. So i was trying to capture both Bison's super shadows and Geese's superjump shadows together and it would not work no matter what i did. I think the game has some advanced ghettofabulous method of figuring when it's going to be asked to produce special effects and making sure that flickering shadows alternate between characters on every next frame. If it was any other game i might have been frustrated, but since it was SvCC i had to laugh. Not to mention that giant characters like Hugo and Earthquake simply get denied outright, cuz i don't think either of those two ever gets to have shadows.
NKI

Post by NKI »

Yeah, I just made that up. It looks like he's playing hopscotch while trotting like a horse. At least that's the way I see it in my mind...
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Looks like he's doing a running Russian Dance to me. But you know? Maybe the running Russian Dance is NAMED the Hopscotch Trot!

- James
Maj

Post by Maj »

Took a while, but i went back and corrected all the typos (hopefully). Also there are two HTML indexes included in the ZIP archive now - one with all the explanatory text and another clean version with minimal notes.
NKI

Post by NKI »

I appreciate your thoroughness.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I didn't really get very far in the Time Attack/Survival Challenges in SF4 until I got it myself on PC - and Time Attack #15 (Normal) is hilarious for screenshots. The CPU opponent is invisible; this leads to some very funny looking moves from either position; either attacker or victim being invisible, I mean.

I didn't really get anything too great, and it's hard to manipulate as it is the CPU (and no matter how good you are at manipulating the CPU, they're friggin' invisible :?)

Highlights are Rose's/Dan's/Gief's Ultra against invisibles, or just about anything (that isn't a fireball) with an invisible character...If anybody's interested (since I have the time to do this as my copy will not let me play online, so I'm not doing a whole lot of competing) I'll post some caps...Or is this the wrong topic by now? Would a new one be in order?