Picking Apart Combo Videos

reference materials and general how-to information
Maj

Picking Apart Combo Videos

Post by Maj »

First step to making good videos is developing an understanding of what's already out there. Problem is, sometimes important things go by quick. That's when it's useful to have a way of watching videos frame by frame. This is easiest with MPEG1 encoding because just about any program supports it. What i've used for as long as i can remember is VirtualDub.

All this time i thought that it was impossible to watch WMV videos frame by frame, but apparently WMP supports frame stepping. That's great news because it's a popular format and will probably stay popular. Most 3rd party programs don't support the WMV codec, at least not without some sort of plugin.
Preppy wrote:Go to WMP's Enhancements pane and use the Video tools : WMP's View:Enhancements:Play Speed Settings lets you do frame stepping.

There's a couple other small hidden things like this in WMP (for example, hold down the Previous/Next button for fast-rewind/forward). The team generally has to walk a fine line between providing functionality and overwhelming the amateur user. And believe me when I say that you guys ROCK compared to the amateur user.
That's taken from a very informative SRK thread about Windows Multimedia, comparing various codecs.
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

Holy crap. Frame... stepping?!?!?!? In WMP?!?!?

I dunno if it is sad or not that this news makes me so happy. This will be immensely useful.

- James
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

...you old people amaze me sometimes

Maj

Post by Maj »

You mean you knew all along? And you never told us?? I thought we were friends. Friends! There's no W in friends. There's no M in friends. There's no P in friends!
Thongboy Bebop

Post by Thongboy Bebop »

Majestros wrote:There's no P in friends!
R KELLY LIED TO ME!

N
"If you lose any more weight I'm sending you to rehab." -- My Mother
NKI

Post by NKI »

<3 Preppy
Maj

Post by Maj »

Randomly found some youtube combo video that blew my mind. I've never seen this game before but it's got the craziest training mode data i've ever seen. Seems like it actually tells you, on a frame by frame basis, exactly how many frames are remaining to the move you just performed. And it tells you the active frames of the attack, so people can be all amazed when you combo into something that doesn't connect until the 35th frame. And what the hell does freeze mean?
laugh

Post by laugh »

That YuYu Hakusho combo video was really tight. You're right about the training mode. It's the best one ever. I'm pretty sure Freeze means the amount of remaining animation frames for the move character you're controlling is doing.

Too bad I never followed the series so I have no clue what it's about. The game looks fun though. I heard the second one (the latest one) got good reviews.
CC that shit
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh, i think they show that on Cartoon Network or something. I never watched an episode because the character designs look totally bland. Anime TV series plots move forward so painfully slowly.

You might be right about the "Freeze" thing. But then what do the "Frame" counters represent?