nullDC capturing?

question anything pertaining to the craft
ZenFire

nullDC capturing?

Post by ZenFire »

So I try out CvS2 on nullDC after prompted by someone who jsut discovered it. Turns out there's a 'new' Beta that runs super smooth and without any glitches I remember from way back. Anyway, I need to be able to capture this at full framerate... I NEEED it. I tried Fraps'ing it but it slowed things down, seemingly forcing it to 30fps. I know there's a setting on it to change that but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone know if camtasia or some other program could manage the full framerate capture?
Xenozip.

Re: nullDC capturing?

Post by Xenozip. »

It depends on a lot of things.

In Fraps the option is just on the "Movies" tab, over on the right.

Camtasia can sometimes work, but it also kind of blows. My issue with it was that it would bring up some HUD which could interfere with windows focus, making whatever you were recording not read game inputs.

Hypercam isn't built for games but it works to some degree. I used it for nfba stuff (like samurai shodown) and Monster, or basically any time Fraps fails. But you have to choose the right capture codec at the right settings to get full framerate out of it. Generally I use the capture coded that Camtasia would normally use, which is TechSmith screen capture, only in hypercam. The quality is really good and the compression is good, etc. But sometimes if the framerate sucks with that then I have to resort to some other codec.

There's some other capture software out there that other people use, but I forget what they are called.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Fraps and it's forced framerate makes me puke. There is no option to switch it, whatever you set the framerate too thats what it forces the game to run at.

I used fraps to capture from nullDC when I was using it. But bleh.

My only problem with hypercam is I cna't get it to pull sound from my soundcard, it just wants to pull through my built in mic.... which is dumb. But I think the last thing I recorded I used hypercam and it worked best for me.
ZenFire

Post by ZenFire »

Hypercam, eh? I hadn't heard of that one yet, I'll check it out, thanks! I'll probably try to encode with HuffYuv since I'm a video-quality nazi and I need my lossless compression.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

For me, Hypercam's framerate heavily depends on what codec and resolution you record at, unfotunately.

It only works so well when i cap nfba because it's a tiny resolution and I use a pretty good codec (techsmith from camtasia).

In a nutshell, if at first you don't succeed, try more codecs etc.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.