CVS2: Memories of 2006

video previews, releases, and feedback
laugh

CVS2: Memories of 2006

Post by laugh »

So I've been working on a sequel to last year's video, which was a little too short and had a lot of things to improve on. I've finished the video and you can download it at http://www.megaupload.com/kr/?d=MBAGTS2W

It turns out I've left out a few clips that were supposed to go into the video but what's done is what's done. I'll see if I should include them in this year's video or release them as short clips.

I know I should've included Poongko in the credits but I was sleepy and it just slipped through my mind. Poongko is a Korean capcom/kof xi player that originally made all the Kyo combos in my video. They're practical in real matches and I think they're pretty sick.

I did all the editing in Premiere with mspaint+virtualdub help.
CC that shit
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The quality of the video is simply amazing. I've never seen something that crisp and detailed (CvS2). I dont really know much about the game so I can't comment on the content. Uh, I did find the E. Ryu combo at the end pretty funny for some reason ^_^.
Maj

Post by Maj »

You could always release a revised version of the video. That'd be a better idea than releasing the leftover clips one by one, because very few people actually download single clips and even less actually keep them around. Or i guess you could make a leftovers video.

But since it's only been like one day and most people still haven't seen your video on CV, you could let them know that you're going to be revising it. If they want they can take it down until you post the revision. That way your friend will get his credit, you'll add the clips you have left over without having to wait a year, and you won't have to do much extra work. At least not as much as editing a leftovers video or trying to find some other way to make it up to your friend.
laugh

Post by laugh »

It's all about x264 codec, man. That shit is the truth and the way.

I've given thought to revising it, but I decided not to. The video is fine the way it is and sqeezing in 3 more clips would ruin the flow and the song simply doesn't have more seconds to it. I'm pretty sure I'll just add them to the next video.

I need to get a feel for incorporating transitions other than cross dissovle, additive dissolve, and fade to black.
CC that shit
Maj

Post by Maj »

Fair enough. If it doesn't bother you then no worries. It can be difficult finding new CvS2 stuff, so having a bit of a head start for next year can't be a bad thing.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The codec is interesting...I'll try it sometime.

As for the editing, I don't know if you were going to for flashy or subtle...I think subtle.. hm, yeah try using other transitions and mess around with premiere and maybe AE if you like editing stuff.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Well I already commented. But I figured I'd say it again, you did some really great stuff in this video laugh. Still loving the rolento setup! And yeah the kyo edit was pretty sweet. Good work man!
jchensor

Post by jchensor »

"I need to get a feel for incorporating transitions other than cross dissovle, additive dissolve, and fade to black."

To be honest, laugh, that is what you should use for 95% of your transitions. Your video is one where the clips matter: its content is important (you have some cool things in there btw... ^_^). Fancy transitions is reserved for videos, IMO, that are editing pieces: ones where the content isn't all that important. Either that, or it is reserved for videos where you see a lot of the same types of things over and over again (there was a Johnny Combo Video by EtherealS or some name like that long ago that was like that: tons of Johnny Combos in a row that really are almost identical to the untrained eye, but theediting and transitions and stuff made the video interesting to watch even for those confused by the content).

Usually, I try to determine ahead of time whether the content is important. And what I determine it to be, I put in the opposite amount of importance in the editing. My CFE video, for example, had only so-so Combos in it, so I focused a lot on editing. But trailers and stuff for Evo, for example, I rarely use anything but crossfades and other simple transitions (and end up using lots of Trapcode Shine, guilty as charged... lol).

So I think your video is just right. Edit where it is necessary or where it expands the things you are seeing on the screen. For example, the editing job you did with the beginning Kyo thing was awesome. I loved it. ^_^ It enhanced what was on the screen, emphasized a point of being able to use various setups for the same Custom start up. But all the other things you did later on didn't require any fancy editing, as the content was interesting enough on its own. Don't distract viewers away from content with unnecessarily flashy editing if it isn't needed.

That's my thought process on it all, anyhow. ^_^

- James