Street Fighter 6 Combo Videos?

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Street Fighter 6 Combo Videos?

Post by Maj »

Is anyone making tool-assisted SF6 combos? I didn't have much luck searching for them.

Is there just nothing challenging enough to require tool assistance? That'd be surprising because there's almost always some way to make setups more complicated. I guess it could happen if the limits are designed in a such a way that you'd hit them regardless. But even that's unlikely because you can still find ways to be creative about how you hit them.

Also who are the best SF6 combo makers? I tried searching for a bit on youtube but of course youtube is still trash tier at identifying quality. I noticed most of the results are:
1. Early basic videos that got a lot of views (even beta videos!)
2. From people who have a big following but don't spend that much time on most of their content
3. Clickbait titles/screenshots

Also noticed that most videos are 10k's and even the high view count videos are below 150k. Doing the same search for SF5, i see a lot of desk videos that hit over 300k. I wonder what that's about.
Doopliss

Re: Street Fighter 6 Combo Videos?

Post by Doopliss »

I've only really seen Desk and Persona upload with any consistency. UFOrange is the only person I follow that's not on here and has made several SF6 videos I think. I did a few videos but even though the game itself is much more interesting, the combos feel a lot like SF5 to me and I'm not that interested in working with it, plus youtube shut down my monetization which killed what little drive I had (Because even if I make an effort, will my stuff be tainted by me not being monetized and have any potential of reaching people choked?).

It's also an issue that YT right now basically only rewards the day 1 combo video, something Desk has mastered and nobody can really reach the level of video quality, creative combos and speed of upload needed to get their stuff on something like Eventhubs or compete with the reach he has on the platform. The climate just isn't that good for new people to get into making combo videos rn it feels like. I'd love to be proven wrong tho. Rn most of the impressive stuff I see from SF6 are random clips feeded to me by Twitter.

I do feel like there's a lot of potential to make fun videos with custom characters, anything out rn is basically just scraping the surface, but it'll probably not be fully explored until the end of the game's life cycle, especially since there's only a bare bones training mode available for custom characters.
Last edited by Doopliss on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

As for tool assistance I can't really think of any scenarios where it would allow for a whole lot of new stuff, again that'd be in custom characters where you might be able to force certain scenarios with specific limb sizes, micro walking etc. which would be really hard to test without TA.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, desk makes pretty great day/week-one videos for every character. His editing is simple and clean, and he doesn't waste time getting to the point. I like that he throws in a few interesting exchanges and calls those videos "combos & hype" instead. That stuff isn't hard to theorycraft based on trailers and it adds a lot of variety.

Anyway i think probably the next step for these types of videos is either:
1. Adding a little bit of text (in the video itself) that explains the point of the combo. Like most hits, most damage with 2 meters, most damage starting from a light, using all 4 specials, comboing two supers, building around a specific cool link, etc.
2. Or straight up releasing a talking-into-the-camera commentary video explaining everything. Maybe it's fine releasing the pure combo video separately but i think the explainer video would do better, plus would let you clip individual bits into shorts or tweets or whatever.

The old way of making text transcripts or carefully edited text-only explanation videos like Magnetro used to do just seem out place now, even though i liked them better.

If you're looking for views, you just have to embrace the cheap content mill approach that a bunch of tournament players finally started adopting during the pandemic. Basically the Kripparrian content formula, i kept telling everyone that would work but it took years for someone to try it. There's definitely a way to do that for combo content as well, but i guess it just isn't appealing to any of us.

But yeah i think only two types of combo content make sense now:
1. Going back to old time-intensive projects that were for personal satisfaction only.
2. Figuring out how to release like 3-5 minute videos multiple times a week. Like "let's deep-dive into this move" type of approach. The right answer here almost certainly involves talking into a camera haha.