KOF XIV combo videos

video previews, releases, and feedback
onReload

Re: KOF XIV combo videos

Post by onReload »

Great stuff as always! I like how many pillows you had that sleepy kid juggle with. Hopefully SamSho and future KoFs are more interesting; I know SS traditionally hasn't been super combo-heavy but who knows?
krusan

Post by krusan »

As far as I´ve seen, the new SamSho looks like any other 2D previous SamSho: Very few cancelable normals, many of wich can´t combo into many specials/supers, very few (if any) juggles and no normals that chain into other normals. I´ve seen a few "wall-crumple" moves but those don´t look like opening combo oportunities. There may be a few very specific things here and there, a few more with weird set-ups and/or interrupts, but I don´t have any hopes of being able to find great combos.
Of course, I can be wrong, and I´ll happy if I am, but I don´t expect the game to have many combo routes.
We´ll see in very few days anyway!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

SamSho looks amazing and I'm definitely buying it. I doubt I'll get a video out of it but that's fine. Then again, few hit combos in odd scenarios is where I first started, so we'll see if I can find some odd 2-5 hit combos or something.

Also, Great job on the latest KoFXIV video!
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
krusan

Post by krusan »

Few hit combos is what I guess we´ll gona get. Unless the attacks are multi-hit, but you all know what I meant.
That and MAYBE backwards combos. The vast majority of longer combos in older 2D SamSho games are of that kind. I don´t like them too much but, if there are there, I may explore.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I can't think of any 3D-based fighting game where those exist though, except for the old Swiss cheese infinite in Marvel 3. I'll just try to have fun with the game as a normal fighting game and not as a lab game.

krusan

Post by krusan »

Doopliss wrote:I can't think of any 3D-based fighting game where those exist though, except for the old Swiss cheese infinite in Marvel 3. I'll just try to have fun with the game as a normal fighting game and not as a lab game.
Those were both excelent points. Never thought how it been "3D" could affect having "backwards combos". And not thinking of the game as a "lab game" may be the key to not get disapointed.
krusan

Post by krusan »

And here we are again, to no one´s request, with a new KOF XIV CMV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnui9epKyYY
KOF XIV: The Impossible Combos
As you may guess by the title, combos in the vid are all completelly impractical. We´ve gone even beyond our usual disregard for damage and resources and all combos are as impractical as posible, always following our goal of squeezing the combo engine.
Hope you enjoy. All comments and constructive criticism is more than welcomed.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Love that Andy combo at 0:51. Those invincibility frames in the middle of wall bounce are so random, but probably the most interesting feature of KoF14's combo system imo. Lots of advanced wall bounce meaty tricks going on in that Beni combo at 6:08 too.

Daimon's face changing instantly during his ult makes me laugh every time. Here's hoping they get proper facial rigs in KoF15 so they don't have to rely on these bootleg texture swaps anymore.

60% damage normal throws are cheap! (1:41)

Nak's bird going "nevermind then, i'll go back to chillin" after being absorbed/reflected by Yamazaki at 1:49 is pretty ghetto, haha.

Terry vs Vice setup at 2:47 is soooo sick! I don't even care if it doesn't get you anything.

Banderas combo at 3:19 is probably more technically impressive than the Athena one at 3:10, but i just dig how the Athena combo knocks the opponent around. Really explores the space, as Christopher Walken would say. Ramon combo at 5:00 looks cool for the same reason, even tho the run back is just part of the super.

Love how you separated out the hits of Mature's projectile at 4:25. That's always a cool trick.

What's going on in that last Chin combo?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Watched it when it came out and it's probably my favorite KoF XIV video, great work!

krusan

Post by krusan »

Thanks for your feedback, guys. I really apreciate it.
@MAj: I agree in that the CD attack wall-splat (I call it like this to diferentitate it from the "real" wall bounce) is by far the most interesting adition to KOF XIV combo system. In the other hand, CD attacks "hurt" the damage scaling..., but damage is not something I usually care about...
About Yuri´s throw to 60%, she´s not the only one that can hit after a normal throw, but she´s the one that can hit harder. In these cases, the dummy stil has a hitbox while "falling" from the throw, but not many chars can benefit of it.
I really like Terry/Vice setup too, but I´m horryble at canceling a donw-up special into a super, and that´s why the combo ends just with an EX special. The setup may be posible with other chars and Vice, but I was unable to do it with any other.
About Chin, he has a "counter move" (how do you call the moves that are activated when an oponent hits like the ones Karin has in SF?) that, in its EX version can be activated with normal hits and fireballs. First Athena hits Chin and he does his Ex counter, that leaves her in crumple state. Then Chin does his Ex counter again that activates with Athena fireball, hitting again and leaving her in crumple state again. And then Chin does his extra-hard-hitting-wall-bouncing combo and that´s it.
One thing that I don´t even know if people understands what happens: Luong Combo. If an special hits while being canceled from a normal that guard-crashes the dummy, it hits somehow-meaty and allows otherwise imposible hits later. It´s a strange thing and I´ve found very few uses for it.
@Doopliss: Your favorite KOF XIV video? Those are really big words! That makes me want to do another vid like that one!. I have some other combos "awaiting" (in my mind, not recorded, but I know that work for sure) but I think I used my best ideas in this vid, and I always try to surpass myself... but I may give them a try in the future...

Feel free to ask more questions about the combos if you have them, I´ll gladly try to answer them.