Vintage Video Preservation

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Vintage Video Preservation

Post by Maj »

A couple of months ago i started some drama that led to an interesting tangent about the community impact of streaming video hosting websites such as youtube. Preppy brought up some compelling arguments against them, and i'd like to continue that discussion here.

Personally i don't have an account on youtube or video.google or any of those other places. Nearly all of my old videos have been uploaded to youtube, by a dozen different people, without my consent. Apart from Thongboy Bebop and burningfist, nobody has even bothered asking me.

To be honest though, i'm fine with that. I mean, i don't feel fully comfortable giving anyone permission to host my videos, especially with so much scary fine print relating to ownership and licensing hidden within those account registration agreements. But if it's done without my explicit permission, then i feel somewhat safer because i can always have it taken down. As far as people using my videos to make themselves more popular on youtube, i don't let it bother me cuz i don't have time to worry about the stupidity of the internet. At the end of the day, the fighting game community (SRK, CV, CX, TZ, etc.) is the only pocket of the internet i give a damn about. I don't consider random fools on youtube anymore a part of our core community than random posters on IGN fighting game forums, so i don't feel at all responsible for their actions.

Nonetheless, youtube does provide an undeniably userful service. For example, i have this huge set of SFA3 matches between Daigo and Masumi where both use nothing but A-Ryu. It is beautiful. Today i was having some discussion where i wanted to point to those matches, but they aren't available online anywhere.

Isn't there some way we can use youtube to our advantage without letting it erode our own video hosting "ecosystem" (as preppy called it)?
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

I can't really think of a way were its possible. I mean you are always going to have the erosion of the video ecosystem or whatever, unless you quit your day job, make your own flash based video hosting site and monitor it's content like a hawk. I mean even some of preppy's videos make there way to youtube, its just impossible to not have it happen. I like youtube cause it gives me a place to host stupid shit I come up with in cvs 2. Stuff I either A. can't use for a video, or B. currently can't get it to record correctly, so I just put it up there. Youtube provides a good service and a bad service, but there is really no way around it, it's there and you either ignore it or try and work with it in whatever way you feel comfortable.
ikusat

Post by ikusat »

It's impossible. It's a new technology that is here to stay regardless of whether you like it or not. Just look at the RIAA and P2P technology. Instead of leveraging it as a sales tool, they are just trying to fight it, and it's really a futile fight. Trying to prevent everything you make from getting onto youtube is impossible if released for the public. Just gotta figure out a way to adapt it to help you instead of hurt you. Or if you don't want to do this, accept that your video WILL appear on youtube whether you like it or not.

There's already plenty of examples where people take a video, chopshop it up and credit themselves for it, and there's really no stopping it. Most kids(lol i'm old) these days don't even fully understand what plagarism means.

I used to use CV myself, and I stopped posting to them after youtube got popular. They refused to embrace it, and the quality of their videos had been going down and updates stagnant. So I just post straight to youtube. If anyone wants a higher quality copy, I'll throw them the link, but for the most part people just want to watch a video and really don't care about low, med, high quality, or even having it saved. And spending an hour to download a video and have it suck is also incredibly frustrating.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I never see the sharing of information as a bad thing, even if it's convoluted somehow.

There are times where I feel the artist should get full credit. And there's also times where I feel the video should be associated with the artists' other work because surely that artist has more to share.

But in the end, I still feel it's irrelevant. The way I often look at it is like passing information to people in person (which is actually rather difficult, I find). For example, like if I were to go to a tournament and reveal for the first time Roll Canceling, who cares if I was the first to discover it.. who cares what my opinion on it is.. who cares if I learned that RC Sakura tatsu is bull fucking shit before anyone else did? The important thing in that I found out you could RC and everyone should be aware of it and aware of how to do it. And who cares if I later found out about SGGK in 3S? Doesn't mean crap until it's implemented in actual play and everyone is doing it, then it means something.

And I still feel that way after having actually discovered something of major significance in MeltyBlood. I don't care who gets credit for it, I just want everyone to know it by any means possible. Occasionally I will point out to people that it was me who discovered it, but personally I don't care if people believe me or not because in reality the fact that I found it doesn't really mean jack shit.

My first two videos (T&T/Guy) have appeared on YouTube on some one else's account, and frankly I don't care, just saves me the trouble of doing it myself. Even though I've started building my own u2be page, and even though I personally know how to contact the original uploader, I won't request the videos to be taken down. The T&T video has seen 200,000 views, which is funny because I don't think there's even that many people who play the game. Those hits could have brought viewers to my page, which in turn could have helped to spread awareness about the other games I play (doujins and melty).

But again, I don't care. The information is the important thing to me. I want people to know how and sometimes I want then to know why, but I don't care if people know who/what/when/where.

It's actually the same way I feel about the commentary thread, although I did not post my real opinion there. Personally Maj said that he'd try not to mention things that could be considered coaching, but if I were in the position and could get away with it I damn sure as hell would coach like a motherfucker. The way I see it, it's more important that information like that be spread around the community. If all Player(1) wanted was to win using a ton of overheads that Player(2) wasn't dealing with properly, and would prefer a commentator not "give it away", then that's extremely selfish IMO. If it were me, even if I lost the match I would still prefer the commentator give it away, because then my opponent would be playing at their best, and that's what I want. If I won with just that trick then I wasn't really playing against my opponent, I was playing against a loophole. And I would also feel that the information might actually help some spectators and therefor the community.

My first experience with coaching was like my first tournament ever for 3S. I picked Akuma and used a ghetto full screen 3-hit fireball into demon-flip that the opponent tried to parry and naturally I was able to hit him out of the parry. A spectator coached and said "don't parry that!", and sure enough he stopped. I ended up losing and was peeved at first, but looking back on it I'm really glad he coached and wish it happened more often. I want people to know they shouldn't parry it, I want my opponent to know that. If all I'm doing is relying on that, then I'm not learning anything at all. If my opponent finds a way around it or even to punish it then that's fucking great because that forces me to step up my game and learn other (proper) ways to attack. Which is why you don't see it in high level play -- but sometimes I wish that match and commentary was recorded so that anyone who gets hit with that stupid ghetto trap ever can just be linked that match and go "oh, well shit, that's why you don't parry, and that's how to beat that, and that's what I should do too!", because that would be wonderful. But not only that, because I know that shit doesn't fly, I am better prepared for higher level play as well.

This is why I have a enormous problem with a particular person in the MeltyBlood community (people who know, will know who I am talking about). This person will not freely share information, and when he finally does feel like sharing one little tidbit of something he goes on a tangent and writes a story that has nothing to do with the information at hand, then fiiiiiinally gets around to showing you in replay format, then explaining it in the most epic fucking way imaginable. Irks me to no end.

The community is still a community regardless of whether you want to be at the center of it or not. You want to spend time and money so you can get credit and keep people together by clinging to you somehow? That's not how it works in my head at all. The community will just find a new way to spread content that is hosted by u2be: such as the various threads on shoryuken linking to stuff on u2be. If anything u2be helps the community because you get more exposure, more awareness, more players (and the current players get info more easily).

I can't tell you how many times I have attempted to explain something about a game or character in-person to some one and they simply didn't "get it", then they saw it in a match video a few days later and BAM they were all over it. I see it as a wonderful, beautiful, and extremely helpful service. The only true evil I see out of it is people who post invalid combos -- which I still find to be the fault of the game and not the players or the service. In games like MeltyBlood there is an "invalid" indicator when a combo is performed that could have been tech-recovered. Therefor if some one posted a video containing an invalid combo, you'd KNOW it was invalid.

In closing, personally the one true most important thing about YouTube for me is that I feel it's bringing Video Games closer to being a sport, because it greatly encourages spectating. And when you think about it, the only thing that differentiates a game from a sport is the spectators.

This may be putting it to the extreme, but since I brought it up: what if that kind of attitude was taken towards sports?
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Well in some ways it is taken towards sports, with each sport having their own league and each league controlling the media rights to that sport. Of course most sports have their own personal youtube channels and people do still sometimes upload clips and such, but you normally don't find whole games on youtube. So really another thing that separates us from a real sport besides spectating, is we have no control over our own media, because we dont really own the rights to distribute any of this (this is merely a guess since I am no copyright lawyer) But it would seem to me with our use of non-standard, or not free music as well as footage from a game whose intellectual property rights we don't own, we can't legally claim in anyway that we own that content... Of course the whole game content part that we show might be saved under the millenium copyright act, or the fact that we are really just trying to premote the companies product, I really don't know though. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm already late for work, I would sit and type much more but these are just my quick 2 cents for now.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Xenozip. wrote:I never see the sharing of information as a bad thing, even if it's convoluted somehow.
It's not about hiding or monopolizing information. It's simply about making it as accessible and accurate as possible while maintaining the integrity of our community.

Unfortunately, youtube's version of "accessible" is a self-serving deception while the descriptions/comments on that website brutally stab "accurate" to death until it dies repeatedly. If you use youtube, you're stuck with their standardized formatting which sucks for writing transcripts or drawing attention to other relevant materials. In most cases it's a total mess. On any given youtube video page, the author has control over maybe 30% of the viewable area, 20% is reserved for random comments, and 50% belongs to youtube. Even if someone adds a link to the source, the viewer is much more likely to click on some colorful "Related Videos" picture than to click on the source link. Preppy hit the nail right on the head here:
Preppy on SRK wrote:If GooTube or whatnot had "get the source video here" or blah blah blah, that'd be much better. But architecturally GooTube is bound around keeping you on the YouTube site and locked into viewing there. I had a bitch of a time even pointing people to how to edit colors since YouTube does NOT want you going off-site. =P
Yes it's cool that more people are seeing it, but the source doesn't lose its value as soon as the video is made public. Whoever created that video has a lot more to say about the game. What can we do to draw the viewer's attention back to the source instead of letting them wander off into Mugen land?

As far as the part about compromising the ecosystem of websites that were hosting videos a couple of years ago, i'm not completely sure what preppy meant by that. I kinda get it, but not entirely. Hopefully he'll come by and elaborate on that point cuz i'm totally interested.

I responded to the stuff about commentary back in the Live Match Commentary thread.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah sorry I wasn't really thinking about what I was typing when I typed my last post in this thread.
fullmetalross wrote:-snip-
Yeah I see what you're saying.
Maj wrote:-snip-
The community isn't on youtube though, that's how I see it.

The community is spread around, but I'll use SRK as an example. If you build a pool of information and players there on SRK revolving around a game, then that's where the community is, that's where the info is, that's where the comp is. When we post videos regarding SFA3, I link back to SRK in the description. Youtube doesn't disallow you from doing that. So the way I see it, I'm spreading awareness about SFA3 outside the community, but it's FOR the SRK community. People already in the community can view the videos with easy access, and anyone that happens along it casually that's outside the community can see the link in the description to get connected with the community. If the viewers don't get connected with the community then I assume their interest level was pretty low to begin with.

Of course, my actual community is right here in my state. But SRK provides the service of connecting multiple communities and multiple people within the local community at the same time.

If you click a random video and then start watching a bunch of videos, some piss poor and some not, then you're still not connected to the community. Nor will you be connected until it dawns on you to go looking for it. Now you could say that Youtube sucks at connecting you because of the format, but I argue that at least you can give links in descriptions and in the actual videos, and I also argue that isolated sites suck at drawing attention in the first place. If you think about it, how does a totally new person stumble on it to begin with? If they had a mind to use a search engine and find the site then I think these same people would have a mind to do so after watching a random youtube video as well.

I mean, let's pretend for a moment that I wasn't a member of SRK. I was just some dude who likes playing fighting games. Now I want to play against other people, how do I do that? I go to an arcade -- but wait I have no local arcades so, then I look around on the internet.

Now let's say I actually am I fighting game fan but I have never ever once heard of a particular SNK game. I see a random NGBC or Garou video posted on youtube and I think it's fucking cool and want to play it, now I search around on the internet for how to get connected to the community. Not the other way around -- I would never just go randomly seeking for an SNK community unless I had seen the game someplace. Now while that does happen at tournaments sometimes, not every game gets properly represented at tournaments. Sometimes not at all.

I recall talking with one of the top three SamuraiShodown players in the US regarding the SS community. His method is to post videos on youtube, and any time anyone comments he encourages them to try it via PM. If they seem interested he hooks them up with all the material they needs, gives them some MSN/AIM names that they can contact for matches, and links them to a forum where they can get information and join the SS community.

This may or may not be as productive as say, local gatherings and an IRC room for net-play, but it works. He's attracted pre-existing SS fans that had no idea where to look for forums/comp, he's attracted fight game fans that were new to SS, and he's attracted casual players that have never tried a FG before.

This is exactly how I found out about the IaMP community. I had no idea anything about it at all until I saw some things on YouTube which were linked to me in a chat room. Once I started watching it, blip became curious and wanted to try the game out, so I looked for information about it (where to get it, where to go for matches, etc). Sure enough, it wasn't hard to connect to the community, they have a wiki page for all technical data and an IRC channel to get connected with other players.

It's true youtube sucks at drawing attention to other material, but if some one is actually interested at ALL and not a total computer-newb then they'll check out the user's page and google search for more things related to what they saw.

And this is exactly why I build playlists on YouTube with lots of information in the playlist description. Youtube allows you to build playlists using not only your own videos, but also other people's videos. And for important things I do link back to SRK or a wiki someplace. Anyone who asks about the game(s) I set them up with PMs.

I do understand perfectly well that there are people out there giving a poor representation to the game though. But, such a thing is going to happen regardless. At least with youtube we are able to give ratings and comments about how and why a video is bad. If bad videos were up on a private server with just the videos and nothing else, then anyone who happens along these videos would have no idea if they actually are good or bad.

One of Preppy's big complaints is direct linking. Glad I don't have to worry about that. You can direct link my videos all you want, the great news is you can't view the video without the title and description popping up on your screen.

You know, it just really aggravates me to hear things like this, considering thats how I got into several games. I saw a Jojo's match, I wanted to play Jojo's, so I went and got the game and started looking for the community. I wasn't even aware Guilty Gear existed until I saw an GGXX #R video posted, then I was all over that in a flash. I saw a Monster video, I wanted to play Monster, so I went and got the game and started looking for the community. I saw an IaMP video, I didn't really want to try it but I went and got the game anyway, then I started looking for the community and now I play it all the damn time.

In the case of Monster there was no pre-existing community, so we built one on SRK and IRC.

If anything, there's more information and resources out now than ever before. If I wanted to pick up a new SNK game it would be ridiculously easy for me to go looking for videos, I could also go to GamqFAQs and look what titles SNK has released (I wouldn't even need to read any FAQs), and then once I searched for videos of the game titles and saw a game I might be interested in I could go looking for the forums people post on to see what the comp for it is like.
preppy

Post by preppy »

One of Preppy's big complaints is direct linking. Glad I don't have to worry about that. You can direct link my videos all you want, the great news is you can't view the video without the title and description popping up on your screen.
Well, it was actually more that there's a bug in FlashGet where it would cause a file to be downloaded twenty thousand times, which rather seriously screws up site performance for everybody else. I mean, we're already talking about 20+ terabytes of throughput, I really don't need FlashGet users destroying the fun for everyone by putting my site over the (negative) top.
Direct linking was never really a major problem so much as it is ugly and counterproductive to scene growth.

As far as videos of "mine" up on gootube, I typically just haven't gotten around to requesting them to be taken down, or they're up there with implicit or explicit permissions. People like geronimo and etc for example, they generally have dispensation to do what they want. So I don't think it's that much of a problem as an ongoing concern.

I'm not sure what the question is here. Do we need alternatives? Yeah. Is there anything else more cost-effective than GooTube and the handful of other players in this space? Probably not. So you would likely have to make some investment along the way.

If I have time (hahahaha), I'm going to make a front-end to allow people to select "prompt me to download on click of content". Having a site front-end to display videos probably isn't useful given that the site bandwidth is usually under assault at all times. :)
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

preppy wrote:Well, it was actually more that there's a bug in FlashGet where it would cause a file to be downloaded twenty thousand times, which rather seriously screws up site performance for everybody else. I mean, we're already talking about 20+ terabytes of throughput, I really don't need FlashGet users destroying the fun for everyone by putting my site over the (negative) top.
Direct linking was never really a major problem so much as it is ugly and counterproductive to scene growth.
Twenty thousand? Damn, that's news to me.

Hmm, well as far as the question, this is what's rolling around in my head:
1) What is the value of maintaining a controlled independent site and not using u2be (bubble)?
2) If we had to rely on u2be, what steps could we take to ensure positive growth instead of degradation?
3) Is there a way to directly "fight" rampant use/misuse of u2be (and should we)?

For now I think in regards to (2) I think it's possible to build a site(s) based around the intention of using u2be. Pools of data and players on an individual site, with links to u2be or embedded u2be videos. The videos on u2be could advertise the site, and video descriptions, playlists, and user page(s) as well. But the main source of information and players would be primarily on the independent site.

Much how like with SRK right now we have pools of players and data regarding games, and linkage to u2be videos. Problem with SRK right now is that it's mostly very disorganized threads with lots of random chatter.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well i was thinking something along the lines of connecting a youtube account with an existing video archive like CV or preppy's website. That way if someone sees a video that they like they can download the non-blurry version. Also each description on youtube would have a full summary including the author's name and website, plus the names of all collaborators (not necessarily all 30 names in special thanks though), and some basic info about what makes the video special.

It doesn't have to be youtube though. Maybe preppy feels uncomfortable using a competitor's service which would be perfectly understandable. MSN has a similar video service, right? The only downside to venturing outside youtube is that less people have accounts on other flash video hosting websites so there would be less ratings and comments. But who cares about that?

Are there any major disadvantages to setting up something like this?
preppy

Post by preppy »

Sounds helpful, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut YouTube doesn't want you leaving their space. I couldn't EVER post URLs as comments explaining or pointing people to anything. They're cocks.

I don't care about cross-feeding people, that's a win to me. Discoverability of new content/communities is always great. YouTube is just a dark and terrible beast which doesn't want this to happen. :(
ikusat

Post by ikusat »

I'm not sure if its youtube not wanting people leaving their space(I'm sure they don't mind this side effect), but I was more under the impression it was because of all those "hey i like your video check out my naked pix http://www.whateversite.com" comments.

You could always do what any of those anon boards do, like
ttp://shoryuken.com
or
hxxp://shoryuken.com

and so on.

unless they ban that too?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah I doubt they want you leaving their space because you can put full URLs in the description.

They only filter them out of comments because of so much spam abuse.

But if you were building something, then yeah I would just put the URL in the video, the description, and the user page. Have all text-based information off youtube and build the community there on a web forum and/or IRC channel.