KING OF FIGHTERS XIV!!!

stay up to date on what's going on
krusan

KING OF FIGHTERS XIV!!!

Post by krusan »

Yeeeeeeeeeah!!!!! Finally!!!!!!
It looks ugly right now, and I hope it gets WAY better, and I also hope it isn´t "real"3D as the Maximum impact series..., indeed the game doesn´t look very pretty right now (all of this can be overcome if the gamepaly is as good as in XIII) but the news made my heart-beating increase! A new KOF is coming!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1anpA7ZTvQ
Doopliss

Re: KING OF FIGHTERS XIV!!!

Post by Doopliss »

I might give this a shot, I tend to prefer 3D models over 2D sprites.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

Graphics don't look too promising, but SFV started with shitty graphics too, so I guess that they'll get better with time, also I wonder what version of Kyo will they use this time, looks like rekka Kyo
Nueva tecnología!!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, i hope it looks better in 2016. There's no way it'll be successful if it continues looking like this, but i'm guessing the background in that trailer is a placeholder and guessing/hoping the models receive another pass.

Either way, it's pretty sad that they're stepping away from 2D. KoFXIII's sprite art was absolutely gorgeous.
krusan

Post by krusan »

I´m sad they abandoned the sprites too, but just knowing there will be a new KOF is great news for me, and (I hope) many other people.
I hope they sharpen the overall look because right now looks quite ugly, but what I want the most is that it plays like KOF. Like old-school KOF, not MI KOF.
I´m somehow worried about the stage looking "too round", cause I asociate it cos 3D fighters, and I don´t want that.
What about the weird sponsors in the background? "Potrecon Quimica"? (quimica is spanish for chemicals) Why in spanish? A nod to huge spanish-speaking KOF comunity? "Danielle Pablo" security??? (Pablo is spanish for Paul) An Spanish name again... We´ll only now in the future. And I hope it´s a near future.
Well, indeed, I´d prefer to wait a bit if it makes the game as good as XIII and other KOFs were.
Those sponsors may be clues for something, or just some random names, but I have a feeling it will mean something. By the way, doing a quick search, there´s a Petrocon factory in Spain that works with chemicals, but it sure has not relation. I´ve found nothing about Danielle Pablo security.
I can´t wait to know more about the game!!!!
Ultima

Post by Ultima »

pepopulo wrote:Graphics don't look too promising, but SFV started with shitty graphics too, so I guess that they'll get better with time, also I wonder what version of Kyo will they use this time, looks like rekka Kyo
Outlined is 100% not true. The initial reveal trailer wasn't so great, but actual SFV in motion looked great from the start. The fact that it looks better now doesn't mean it started off "shitty".

This is in on way or shape comparable. KoFXIV thus far looks like a high-end PS2/early Ps3 game, just with higher resolution. It's not just that the models are blah, but the art direction is terrible. I swear that it looks like they took assets from the cancelled Maximum Impact 3 and just pushed that out. In terms of comparisons to competitors, this is as bad as when Street Fighter EX got revealed after everyone saw Tekken 3 and Virtua Fighter 3.

Barring a complete overhaul, there is no salvaging this visually. There's no amount of tweaking or polishing or shader manipulation that's going to make this look favourably when compared to the likes of Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, and especially Guilty Gear Xrd. Not with a supposed release date of 2016. Just no. Accept that it's going to look like dogshit and move on.

And if they DO have a plan to improve the visuals, why release such shoddy footage now? They could have simply released the title logo and called it a day.

As for how it plays, well I actually don't think fans need to worry there. I could be wrong, but I doubt they'll retread MI. This'll likely follow the modern trend of 2.5D. System-wise, I expect a lot to be borrowed from KoF98/2002, the perennially most popular entries. And one likely advantage of the models being used is that they should be able to pump out more characters more quickly.
pepopulo

Post by pepopulo »

You know what? that makes a lot of sense and I agree, I hope that at least the character plantel is fairly big and bring up iconic chars
Nueva tecnología!!!
onReload

Post by onReload »

unfortunately, I agree with Ultima's take, too. If it weren't slated for early 2016, I'd say hold out for better graphics...though with the negative reactions, maybe they'll push it back.

I think it'll stick with 2d gameplay, that's been successful for them, right? The sprites were beautiful, but expensive. I wonder if this will be a dream battle type game or a new saga.

Also, the SRK comments were on point, talking about how the KOF pachinko machine trailer was way hype-r than this, lol.
krusan

Post by krusan »

Acording to an interview to KOF IV producer, "The game is designed to play like KOF13 just during MAX mode where you can use EX moves and 3 levels of Supers that can be canceled in their order of hierarchy.". If the translation is correct, does this mean that we would be able to cancel DM into SDM into ClimaxDM?
The vids seen till now look promising, and I can´t stop thinking about combos with the litle info we know?
Anyone feels like doing some speculation about the rooster? You know about the leaked rooster, don´t you? Anyway, 50 chars confirmed, and that´s a lot of characters!
onReload

Post by onReload »

I want MOTW characters... In general, I love when SNK brings in new characters from their other IPs, instead of redesigning characters already brought into KOF. SNKP owns Rage of the Dragons, too, and they may have rights to Breakers, though they co-published it with Visco.

I'm not asking for it to be as out-there as NGBC's roster, but to see some of the classic NEO-GEO characters in this game would make it so worth it for me. Already, I'll be getting it, even if it looks like trash.

As far as mechanics go, I like some of the combo extension stuff, but I felt like XIII's combos could get rather long. I'm not a fan of any fighting game mechanic that allows for a lot of time where only one player is pushing buttons.