Proper Terminology Advancement

reference materials and general how-to information
Maj

Proper Terminology Advancement

Post by Maj »

It's strange to think how large the fighting game community's custom vocabulary has become. It's even stranger that word choice and usage have grown increasingly standardized over time. Personally i support this trend and hope to see it continue.

Nowadays it's easy to find accurate terminology definitons on the internet. Open up any decent fighting game FAQ and you're likely to find a comprehensive dictionary of pertinent words and phrases. In fact, even i've tried writing articles about this subject:

SF Terminology Encyclopedia v1.2 | SF Notation Manual v1.0

If any questions arise about correct usage conventions, this thread is a good place to invite discussion and compare notes.
onReload

Re: Proper Terminology Advancement

Post by onReload »

So i've gotten yet another answer as to what 3rd Strike's "SGGK" stands for. Previously I heard "Super Great Goalkeeper," which is a reference to a good soccer goalie (how they block everything), and "Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick," which is apparently a reference to Chun's SGGK. "Sliding" in this case meaning what we refer to as "kara"

However, I got another definition in the game_versus twitch chat, thanks to cozy7959, a native speaker

"S 凄い G ガードも G グラップも K 食える"

or, "Sugoi Guard mo Grap mo Kueru"

cozy7959 said it's "amazing move that eats guard & glap both"

which I think is like, "Amazing Block and Grab Eater." I don't know if this is a joke definition or not, but it's a concise way to explain what the complicated OS does. Maybe I'll ask rKf on Twitter
HarlequinRogue

Post by HarlequinRogue »

I noticed there's no abbreviation for close moves (cl.?). I find having cr. and cl. helps alleviate some ambiguity that comes with just using c.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

HarlequinRogue wrote:I noticed there's no abbreviation for close moves (cl.?). I find having cr. and cl. helps alleviate some ambiguity that comes with just using c.
personally I'm still stuck with using cl. for close and just c. for crouching. I guess I'll have to adapt sooner or later >.<
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen