Programmable Pad Protips

reference materials and general how-to information
Maj

Re: Program pad question

Post by Maj »

Persona wrote:One question I have for now is how to do instant air specials? I program it and it comes out fine but it's still slower than me doing it by hand.
Try using the "qcf-hcb, ub (1 frame)" method but waiting longer than 1 frame between the UB input and the button input. It usually takes longer than 1 frame to get off the ground in most fighting games, but not as long as it would take to complete that whole motion after jumping.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Maj wrote:
Persona wrote:One question I have for now is how to do instant air specials? I program it and it comes out fine but it's still slower than me doing it by hand.
Try using the "qcf-hcb, ub (1 frame)" method but waiting longer than 1 frame between the UB input and the button input. It usually takes longer than 1 frame to get off the ground in most fighting games, but not as long as it would take to complete that whole motion after jumping.
Hmm I tried these methods and they still don't work.

qcf-hcb
ub 5 frames two buttons

qcf-hcb
ub 5 frames
two buttons

qcf-hcb
ub
4 frames
two buttons

Any frames less and the character just jumps back and presses one button (super doesn't come out).
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:
Persona wrote:...It usually takes longer than 1 frame to get off the ground in most fighting games, but not as long as it would take to complete that whole motion after jumping.
Many air moves also have minimum heights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLkkEKNVuE&t=3m

You might also be able to get things to come out faster using some kind of command/super jump cancel.
Maj

Re: Programmable Pad Protips

Post by Maj »

What do you mean by "slower"? The manual version comes out lower to the ground than the programmed version? Or they're the same height but the manual version comes out a few frames earlier? Rufus has a good point, maybe you're doing a superjump manually but getting a normal jump using the programmed version, or vice versa.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Maj wrote:What do you mean by "slower"? The manual version comes out lower to the ground than the programmed version? Or they're the same height but the manual version comes out a few frames earlier? Rufus has a good point, maybe you're doing a superjump manually but getting a normal jump using the programmed version, or vice versa.
Yeah the manual version comes out lower to the ground. Didn't think of the superjump though, I'll test that out with the pad. Thanks!
Persona

Post by Persona »

Hmm how do you record manually? As in save your manual inputs. I can do it by hand but can't program it at all. Asked error1 and he can't program it on PC either so I'm stumped.

It's basically doing a stand HP into d~u P. Doing it from fast attacks is easy by hand and program pad but this attack is slow (can do by hand but not program pad for some odd reason).
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Persona wrote:Hmm how do you record manually? As in save your manual inputs. I can do it by hand but can't program it at all. Asked error1 and he can't program it on PC either so I'm stumped.

It's basically doing a stand HP into d~u P. Doing it from fast attacks is easy by hand and program pad but this attack is slow (can do by hand but not program pad for some odd reason).
Input recording is effectively a seperate feature. One that may not be available on your setup.
You may be able to get some insight from turning on input display.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Maj wrote:Button Layout - ASCII PAD V Pro

Instruction Manual Diagram

On screen, to the left, there's a bunch of black bars. Do they determine how dark the screen gets?
Maj

Post by Maj »

No i think that's for adjusting turbo button speed. You can make it faster or slower to match the game. I haven't experimented with it though because i use program sequences for everything, even mashing.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Ok..thank you.
Persona

Post by Persona »

Any ideas on how to use this on a PS2? Doesn't seem to work for me and my PS2 controller d-pad is completely wasted. Can barely even do qcf moves.