Killer Instinct XB1

talk about how great training mode is
onReload

Killer Instinct XB1

Post by onReload »

I've been playing KI at work during slower hours. It's fun, but it's pretty dumb how much emphasis it places on long combos. ...and mid-combo RPS games. Maybe I'm just echoing stuff people would say about the original games, but I never played them at a "high level," and fighting games in general seem to be much slower these days.

But I'd pick it up, if only at a reduced price. Just because I like messing around in training mode and stuff. Not for competitive play.

Anyway,

If there's any combo theory you've been dying to try, let me know, and I'll give it a shot. We've got Jago, Sabrewulf, Glacius, Sadira, and Thunder Hawk.
Maj

Re: Killer Instinct XB1

Post by Maj »

onReload wrote:If there's any combo theory you've been dying to try, let me know, and I'll give it a shot. We've got Jago, Sabrewulf, Glacius, Sadira, and Thunder Hawk.
I think his name is Chief Thunder - haha i kept wanting to call him T.Hawk too.

Can Glacius still throw a slow projectile directly in front of him and hold the button to delay it? What happens if you do that and then have the opponent tech a throw? Can they block the projectile?

Also i think activating Instinct Mode resets the combo limit bar. If you surpass the limit and then activate Instinct, can you juggle them again? It should be pretty easy to test this by mashing jab 4 times (or however many times it takes to trigger infinite avoidance), then canceling the last jab into Instinct and mashing jab or DP or whatever.
onReload

Post by onReload »

That's hilarious 'cause I remember thinking "Nah, it's Thunder Hawk - T.Hawk is from Street Fighter!" but yeah, it's at least not as bad as TJ Combo / Balrog. They have the exact same backstory!

Glacius does still have slow projectiles, but he can't delay them or anything. They travel in slow, downward trajectories. You kinda have to really plan them out, can't use them on reaction to anything.

I remember hearing Instinct Mode resets the bar, yeah. I'll have to try it Friday when I'm back, before it gets busy. For some dumb reason, Jago can interrupt his throw with a Shadow move. wtf
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Can you explain how the counter breaker, ultra cancels and anything else new works?
onReload

Post by onReload »

The counter breaker is something you do as an attacker, where you bait a combo breaker. If you time it right, you counter their combo breaker which locks them out for 4 seconds, and you keep going with the combo. It doesn't seem to have any other reward, so IMO it's only a good idea if you really know when your opponent will go for a combo breaker. ...'cause if they don't go for a combo breaker, you just stand there in a counter breaker pose for a second and you're not at advantage when you come out of it.

some of this i'm pulling from max's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_gdw0LmDCk

ultra cancels? i'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you have instinct meter when your character is doing an ultra combo, you can break out of it, continue a combo, and initiate another ultra combo. the hit sound effects get even more high pitched when you start the second ultra combo. devs call it a "double ultra combo" but the announcer/hud doesn't say anything about it.

I still have to look into Instinct resetting limits. i'm pretty sure it doesn't help with juggle limits, though. one weird thing about it: if you instinct cancel jago's uppercut, he still continues the attack - meaning he flies into the air and everything. not like ryu's DP xx FC, where he stays grounded.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Hmm, I checked the vid so makes a bit more sense now. But on a successful counter combo / shadow block, does the game automatically do those long combos for you?

Like i saw a orchid vid where she does 3x ultras in one combo, so was wondering how the cancel was done...
onReload

Post by onReload »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178v0Kz_xT8 ?

Where she strikes a pose and says "Finish!" around 0:21, that's the start of the Ultra combo, which is automated like a Ryuuko Ranbu...you can tell because this texture-less whiteness fills the stage and it gets really musical. When she says "Firecat!" at 0:26 is the start of her Instinct mode, so it cancels the Ultra combo and Max continues doing things manually. At 0:34 he initiates another Ultra combo. At 0:40 it's over (with that big pillar of light) but Max juggles with two more supers.

Are you familiar with the KI system in general, like Autos/Linkers etc?
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Ah so what is instinct mode?

yeah, I played the hell out of the snes version and I used to have a whole handbook written for combos and such. Never got a chance to rec any of them. I am familiar with its basics but it looks like they have evolved it a bit beyond my understanding which is why I'm asking the questions haha.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I think it's actually a bit simplified, they just added a few new mechanics. Inputs are easy, timing is lenient, there's no weirdo specific inputs for linkers, etc.

Instinct is kind of a comeback mechanic, you build meter with defensive actions and then you can turn it on like it's X-Factor in MvC3. I say this 'cause it grants you a combo extension via a cancel, but everybody has their own specific trait with it on. Sadira can press HP+HK to leave web traps, Orchid can call her firecat, Jago regens health, Glacius gets a point of armor, etc.

[edit] Max did a simple intro video - http://youtu.be/tJWMF0N1zcE . You can skip to 3:58 if you want to see the new KI stuff. He goes into some things I didn't quite understand 'til now, like the potential damage thing and the hitstun decay. ...

The dude is getting paaaaid