Nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

Re: Nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking ski

Post by Maj »

I have no idea what that means (because i don't really understand how hosting works) but that sounds like witchcraft, sir!

Anyway sh/f isn't the problem. I'll shut everything down and revert Sonic Hurricane back into a static HTML website if that's what it takes to keep this place running. (Speaking of which, i really need to update those damn songs/movies.)

This is just me trying to better understand database hosting costs. If we ever do approach the point of my current hosting plan not being enough, i'd like to see it coming before they shut everything down for using up too much resources. And to be honest, i don't really know if what they're providing is generous or cheap. But they only have one hosting package so there's no upgrade to go to.

However i really don't see this becoming a problem for SH or sh/f. Even with our database size steadily expanding, they've never sent me a complaint or anything. And believe me, i'd have to be on the verge of homelessness to let anything happen to sh/f.

On the other hand, my other idea(s) for websites could potentially get pretty big. I don't want to risk putting them on the same hosting plan as sh/f. At the same time, i don't really want to get into an $85/month commitment, then end up wanting to abandon this new project after three months without necessarily taking it down.

You know what i mean? Like if it works, it really belongs someplace upscale like aws. But if it doesn't work or if i decide to put it on hold, i don't want to be paying four figures a year in bills just to leave it alone.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Running phpBB under Windows is simple. This lets you mess around with settings/mods before applying them to a live board.

You can use VirtualBox to run that in a virtual machine and keep it away from your main system. Maybe that's an option to test your new ideas.
Maj

Post by Maj »

How would you get that on the internet though? I mean, how do you redirect a domain to your personal computer? Then again, i don't have the connection stability or the data storage reliability to attempt that in the near future. Seems like a lot of risk/effort for not much gain.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

How crappy are free hosting options nowadays?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haven't looked into it to be honest, but everything i've seen along the way sucked. Limited options, ads everywhere, and no stability to speak of. I've had a few websites like that back in the early days and they went down without any warning when those places went out of business.

Limitations are the biggest problem though. For instance wordpress offers free hosting themselves, but you have to pay more money if you want all the options you'd get with a free wordpress install on a pay hosting plan.

I mean they give you a free wordpress.com subdomain, but using your own domain name costs a few dollars every month, you have to pay to remove ads, they have a 35-user limit, etc. Same deal with blogspot; they charge for every little thing.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Maj: My suggestion was only for local testing.

Google Sites is ad-free.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Never heard of that, but i'll look into it when i have a chance. At the moment i'm more or less comfortable with wordpress.

Speaking of which, it's kind of annoying how you can't edit their "Meta" widget in their default 3.0 theme from within the admin panel. You have to manually edit their default-widgets file to add or remove anything. It's pretty easy except it probably has to be redone with every version update.

Alternatively you can fake it using a "Text" widget, but that only allows static links which means the login link won't change after the user logs in. And of course there are plugins for this kind of thing, but again i don't want to install a plugin for something so basic.

There's no getting around minor annoyances i guess. I just wish it didn't take three hours of research to reach that conclusion every time.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Does anyone remember a set of images for one of the Samurai Shodown games, that were like little symbolic icons for each character? I remember Haohmaru's being a sake bottle and Ukyo's being an apple, or something along those lines.

Any idea where i could find that whole illustration series? There don't seem to be too many Samurai Shodown websites around.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn it, my notebook computer's screen is slowly dying or something. I have a Toshiba Satellite E105-S1402 and the screen goes dark when i open it all the way. I can still make out faint traces of what's on the screen, but not nearly well enough to actually read. It only lights up when i open it less than like 45 degrees. Technology is so damn annoying. It's literally a pain in the neck.

Anyone know of a good place to get this sort of thing looked at? Or would it be better just to buy a new computer at this point? I don't use this for anything other than checking email/forums, watching/saving videos, and random website stuff, so it's not like i need anything expensive. Of course i also happen to be broke at the moment, but i get paid next week which should help a bit.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Depending on how old it is, they (whoever would be willing to look at it) might just tell you it's not worth it. You wouldn't have to spend much for what you do with a computer. Maybe 5 or 600 dollars? Is that too much?
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know. Honestly i'm not even sure what i need in a new computer. I like to save old project files and some combo videos, when people here provide download links. But obviously it's gotten to the point where i have a couple of external hard drives full of ancient videos that i could never find again on the internet if those drives died, not to mention my own stuff that nobody else has.

So my real concern is figuring out a good place to store like 1-2TB of old combo videos and raw uncompressed clips without worrying about hardware failure. If i could solve that problem, it would make the PC replacement problem a lot easier.

I know there are some dependable file storage services out there, but i think they're built for relatively small files like personal documents - not uncompressed video. And even then, how "dependable" can a three-year-old company really be?
onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah I think you'd be paying top dollar for that much space online.

It would be expensive, but you could do a RAID setup for all your storage. Would run nice and smoothly, and if a drive failed, you'd already have a backup going. Only thing I can think of, anyhow
Shinryu

Post by Shinryu »

Unfortunately there is no absolute solution; all hardware will fail eventually, though a RAID 1 or 5 setup would certainly make it difficult to have any issues. It really depends on what you're willing to spend. Nothing wrong with just storing it all on external harddrives. Just need to keep them in a reasonable environment...

One thing I would recommend is not storing uncompressed videos, though; a good lossless codec will save you a ton of space. Personally, I'm fond of UtVideo. I use that and uncompressed audio for all my recordings.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

You could connect your laptop to a monitor/TV.

RAID is not a backup.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Let me look into it. I may have an old flatscreen you can use.
Yeah, PM or call me if you want it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The annoying thing is that (as far as i can tell) my laptop only has an HDMI out port, so i can't hook it up to my desktop monitor. I guess i could hook it up to my TV, but that's too inconvenient to be worth the hassle. Anyway it sounds like my best bet is just to buy a couple of external hard drives and hope for the best until internet backup storage gets cheap enough to accomodate large amounts of sub-HD video. I'll probably just start looking for deals on a new computer.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Does your monitor do VGA in? You can get a converter HDMI->VGA pretty cheaply. But if Rufus has a free monitor for you...!

Also, buttermaker, good call on that RAID thing. I was only thinking of hardware failure for some reason
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

If the monitor has a DVI port, an HDMI to DVI adapter can be used.
You can get a converter HDMI->VGA pretty cheaply.
A cheap HDMI to VGA adapter will only work if his laptop can output an analog signal, which it probably can't. Edit: Typo.
Last edited by Buttermaker on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Oh word? Shit. Didn't realize the cables we sell have converters...or if for some reason the Surface outputs analog signals. Good to know.

/gives up
Maj

Post by Maj »

Buttermaker wrote:If the monitor has a DVI port, an HDMI to DVI adapter can be used.
Thanks, that worked!

Also i ended up moving everything to a couple of external hard drives. I guess they'll have to do until someone comes up with a better solution. Anyway it's not ideal but i feel okay about it for now, so i'll worry about it again in a couple of years. Maybe by then i can actually get 2TB of cloud space for relatively cheap.