SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

video previews, releases, and feedback
Maj

Re: SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

Post by Maj »

I'm gonna say June 12th for now, then when i miss that date too, i'll claim that i meant December 6th all along.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh snap, were you guys expecting a Guile video tomorrow? I toootally meant December 6th all along!

Blah, i'm not even done cleaning up those Seth combos ...
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I'm gonna call you out on December 6th haha.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dude, if it's not done by December, i'm just gonna stop showing up to work until it's done. That would be ridiculous beyond belief.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh snap, only three months left!

Damn, i just realized every character has a unique Time Over victory pose. It's lame that you can't get those at the end of a KO combo. Some of them are really cool. In fact Blanka's, Gief's, Dan's, and Seth's best win poses are their Time Over ones. Blah.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I ended up recording a few more Seth combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ1m2wSCSFM

I don't have time to write up a full transcript though, and i couldn't care less about views at the moment - so i'll probably just keep it unlisted. Hope you guys like it. If you have any questions, i'll be happy to answer 'em ... sooner or later. This next week is gonna be crazy.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

That Zangief combo was insane. And the Rose combo was hilarious.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
onReload

Post by onReload »

Oh so good to wake up to more Maj videos

gotta love that counterhit/trade !
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha thanks. I'm kinda proud of that counterhit lvl3 Focus Attack trade setup. Certainly took me long enough to find it.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Can i link that on neogaf? It kinda feels like its going to waste being unlisted. Awesome video :)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Based on my past Biweekly TACVs, i'd say there's only two or three people on NeoGAF who would care, especially about a vanilla SF4 combovid in 2012. Maybe i'll post the link on twitter if i get bored this weekend, but honestly i'd rather just keep it here.

At some point after i finish the Guile episode (which i haven't even started yet), i'll probably compile the entire series into one long video, so everyone else can watch these clips then. The only reason i went through the trouble of editing/uploading this video was to show you guys, because i felt bad about how long the Guile video is taking. Otherwise i don't care if no one else sees it.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

Fair enough. I think there's probably more people who'd want to see it, as people don't always comment on everything, especially if a couple of people have already said "cool vid" or whatever and nobody has any specific questions. Up to you how you want to share your videos tho of course.
error1

Post by error1 »

I just wanna say that reverse divekick was awesome
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

- That Zangief combo was amazing, one of the best i've seen.

- I'm guessing the first combo was to fit more hits in? New max damage combo?

- Rose combo was cool, also didn't know you could do a late thirs SRK against Seth.

- Was a bit surprised the last EX SRK you did on the re-tanden combo didn't hit 5 times? is it not possible or did you get lazy? (Not badgering you, kust curious)

also, Seths Dive kick in Vanilla was pretty vicious.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Oh god, that was beautiful!

Especially the one on Gief!

I could watch that replay over and over!
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha thank you sirs. It's funny how the last clip i record is pretty consistently the most fun combo in the end. And i almost always decide to record it at the last minute after telling myself it's probably not gonna be interesting enough to bother with it.

Like in this case, i actually found that lvl3 FA into crossup j.D+HK divekick setup long before the rest of that combo. It only works in the corner against Gief/Rufus/Sagat, and it only links into jab. Even c.LK doesn't connect. So the question was, can i find an interesting midscreen Seth combo off s.LP? My first instinct was no, so i decided not to use that crossup divekick setup at all.

But then i ended up recording four new combos and decided to make this video, but five combos sounded much better than four. That's when i forced myself to revisit the crossup divekick, and this was the end result. I guess i was lucky, but maybe part it comes from the fact that it was a difficult and unconventional challenge, which forced me to try things that i wouldn't bother trying without those constraints. Kinda interesting to think about.

Pokey86 wrote:- I'm guessing the first combo was to fit more hits in? New max damage combo?
Actually the only difference is the wall jump divekick at the end. We talked about it after i released the old version so i decided to record it for +2 style points. Otherwise, same hits, same damage.
- Was a bit surprised the last EX SRK you did on the re-tanden combo didn't hit 5 times? is it not possible or did you get lazy? (Not badgering you, kust curious)
Oh i didn't even realize it could hit five times; i've only seen it hit three or four times. I'll try to rerecord it with the extra hit. I'd be shocked if it was impossible in this situation.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Snoooootch wrote:Oh god, that was beautiful!

Especially the one on Gief!

I could watch that replay over and over!
Good Lord. That was amazing.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Maj wrote:Oh i didn't even realize it could hit five times; i've only seen it hit three or four times. I'll try to rerecord it with the extra hit. I'd be shocked if it was impossible in this situation.
I thought it only worked by delaying the second ex dp so that seth can catch up to the opponent. Took my a while to figure that out myself.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Snoooootch wrote:
Maj wrote:Oh i didn't even realize it could hit five times; i've only seen it hit three or four times. I'll try to rerecord it with the extra hit. I'd be shocked if it was impossible in this situation.
I thought it only worked by delaying the second ex dp so that seth can catch up to the opponent. Took my a while to figure that out myself.

It's all about height of the opponent, there are a few characters you can hit a meaty EX SRK on them grounded (Rose i believe you can do Couch LK -> Stand LK -> Crouch LP -> EX SRK & because they're so low you'll always get 5 hits. It isn't the easiest thing in the world to get 5 hits under standard circumstances, delaying the second SRK will nearly always net you 4. But it can be done.

Shoryuken: EX

1st: JP0 - SKD - SKD
2nd: JP0 - SKD - SKD

3rd: JP1 - SKD - SKD

4th: JP2 - SKD - SKD
5th: JP3 - SKD - SKD
6th: JP4 - SKD - SKD
7th: JP5 - SKD - SKD
8th: JP6 - SKD - SKD

makes for an easy EX Tanden, but JP is long gone after.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Have you ever gotten all seven hits against Seth? I can get it pretty consistently against random characters like Akuma, Gouken, Dhalsim, Honda, etc. just by delaying the uppercuts as much as possible. That's what i did in that clip too, but the last uppercut never connects more than four hits against Seth. Sadly, this might be impossible after all.

I even tried a bunch of different timings on both transitions and nothing changed. In fact, i haven't found any other dummies that only get hit four times by the last uppercut. Everyone else either gets hit five times or c.HP, j.MP (one hit), EX DP doesn't connect.

edit: Wait, spoke too soon. Blanka, Balrog, El Fuerte, Rufus, Ryu, and Ken are haters too.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

You're talking about after Crouch HP -> Jump MP only.

Right?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Actually i've never seen EX DP connect all seven times against standing Seth either.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Maj wrote:Actually i've never seen EX DP connect all seven times against standing Seth either.

At all? because all you have to do is a late hitting SRK (First one) then any opponent should be low enough that it'll hit full. But maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Yup, tested, you just have to get it to hit meaty. (The first SRK)

EX tandem -> Jab X 4 -> EX SRK = 5 hits

Or no Tandem -> Close HK -> Crouch LP -> EX SRK

Against Seth of course.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Oh i don't really want to change the c.HP, j.MP (one hit), EX DP part so making it hit meaty is impossible in that situation. I was asking if you'd ever gotten all seven hits on a non-meaty EX DP against Seth.

In fact that juggle sequence doesn't even work against some characters because they fall too fast, so it's probably a one-frame combo against the characters it does work on. It just seems more lenient than it really is because the jump attack buffer and landing attack buffer make input execution easier, but that doesn't change the fact that the juggle itself is one-frame, so trying to get meaty EX DP there is out of the question.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Yeah, there are loads of characters, as far as i'm aware, that you can't get 7 hits on with a non-meaty one.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

What if instead of ending the combo with a cr. hp, to jmp mp, you do a cr. hp, lp sonic boom, then stomp kicks? OR, you can do the cr. hp, to jmp mp, then a st. hp for the KO, but you do a post KO... SOMEthing. idk.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Snoooootch wrote:What if instead of ending the combo with a cr. hp, to jmp mp, you do a cr. hp, lp sonic boom, then stomp kicks? OR, you can do the cr. hp, to jmp mp, then a st. hp for the KO, but you do a post KO... SOMEthing. idk.

Stanp HP takes a long time to end, & none of Seth's specials have JP.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Honestly i'm pretty happy with it the way it is. If EX DP only hits Seth six times instead of seven, then that's just the way it's gonna have to be. I don't want to drag out another post-KO combo for nothing, especially since the whole theme of this combo is showing hella uppercuts and the current ender does that just fine.
Maj

Post by Maj »

One Guile combo down, N-1 to go.

Actually i have a basic framework for what the video will contain. Now i just need time to iron out the details and record the end results. With any luck, it'll be ready this month, and hopefully i'll find one or two unexpected Sonic Booms along the way.

Sadly, SSF4 Guile is superior to SF4 Guile in every way - but whatever, he's the last one left. I'll make it work.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I'm wondering if you found an incredibly meaty set up for his close f+hk. And, perhaps a Max sonic boom combo that ends with a post KO st. jab, cancelled into sonic boom, then end with a last juggle or something. And maybe an awesome Air grab sequence. And possibly a triple st. hp combo on Abel. haha

I'm excited that this is the last one, making it official that they are finished!