Re: SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Doopliss »

ilitirit wrote:
Doopliss wrote:Wait, what?
Notice that the FADC only uses 1-bar.

Ideas:
- The dash part of the FADC is being kara-cancelled
- The attack part of an EX FA is being kara-cancelled
- Irreproducible glitch related to the variable frame-rate bug on PC (I doubt it considering the date of the vid)
If it had something to do with kara cancelling the FADC, I think it would either cost 2 bars or 0, not one. He does shine yellow for a frame before the Ultra is activated though.

Maybe they played on a modded version of the game where you can cancel into Ultras for one bar :P
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
ilitirit

Post by ilitirit »

Doopliss wrote:If it had something to do with kara cancelling the FADC, I think it would either cost 2 bars or 0, not one. He does shine yellow for a frame before the Ultra is activated though.
It could be an EX Focus Attack, which is subtly different to an FADC (the FA is cancelled by a dash). You can cancel EX moves before they drain meter. eg. Abel's EX COD armour-cancelled into Falling Sky only uses no bars with a certain timing (you can cancel into EX TT and it will use only 1 bar); interrupting Sagat's EX Knee during start up (with a meaty) will not cause him to use meter (same as in SFxT).
error1

Post by error1 »

You absolutely can't kara a move that's been canceled, so that's not it.
Gen can not do cl. hp xx ex focus xx stance change.
And balrog can't do, lp xx ex dashpuch xx ultra
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:You absolutely can't kara a move that's been canceled, so that's not it.
Gen can not do cl. hp xx ex focus xx stance change.
And balrog can't do, lp xx ex dashpuch xx ultra
There might still be some kind of kara thing, combined with the fact that it was a reversal, and blocked or something like that. Best case scenario would be if this allowed you to cancel any super cancellable move into Ultra for 1 or 2 bars.

Maybe you need to buffer a FADC and kara the dash into Ultra or something.

CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

This looks like the same thing as "armour cancelling" to me.
error1

Post by error1 »

it's absolutely, 100% not a kara or anything like armor cancels.
I also don't think you can kara a dash.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

I guess if it was like armour cancelling it'd be easy to replicate and would've been found a long time ago. Weird...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Probably a one-off glitch that's nearly impossible to replicate :S

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Does anyone know if you can armor cancel Gouken's air parry to his Demon Flip grab or dive kick?

error1

Post by error1 »

Doopliss wrote:Does anyone know if you can armor cancel Gouken's air parry to his Demon Flip grab or dive kick?
nope, would be really easy to do if it was possible.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:would be really easy to do if it was possible.
Why is that? Armor cancelling only works on the first armored frame, right? So it would be the hardest move to do since it takes so long for the armor to come out once activated (why it doesn't work I guess), it's midair, and it's a follow-up to another move.

error1

Post by error1 »

if it worked it would be just be a really easy kara. Just press punch and kick together with pinking timing. Actually getting it to absorb something is a different story, but if you press punch and then kick and the dive kick comes out it would be a armor cancel.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:if it worked it would be just be a really easy kara. Just press punch and kick together with pinking timing.
The normal kara works though. Problem is that the move doesn't seem to have armor on the first frame.

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ultras have, IIRC the highest input priority. Couldn't the Ryu cancel just be EX DP (xx kara) Ultra?
i.e. qcf, qcf, pp~p ?
Edit:
I guess not since EX dp doesn't hit till frame 3. Though that would give the DP start-up, eat 1 meter, and then produce the ultra.
Hmm... now I wonder if it's possible to armor cancel armor breaking moves.
error1

Post by error1 »

Doopliss wrote:
error1 wrote:if it worked it would be just be a really easy kara. Just press punch and kick together with pinking timing.
The normal kara works though. Problem is that the move doesn't seem to have armor on the first frame.
The normal kara doesn't work, you are probably inputting to early, before the move can come out, so your first input is ignored.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:
Doopliss wrote:
The normal kara doesn't work, you are probably inputting to early, before the move can come out, so your first input is ignored.
I guess that's possible, but it looked quite consistent in the inputs. Gonna try it again with a later input.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right, I did it too soon last time.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Just noticed that Vega gets a 10% damage bonus when he removes his Mask.

I mean, i was aware he takes more damage, 20% i think... didn't know he delt more as well.

Was this common knowledge?
onReload

Post by onReload »

i think so, yeah
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, it was known. He also get 10 less damage (Not %) on all his punch moves without the claw.

Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know how common it is, since nobody uses that EX Taunt intentionally, but it must be well-known among Vega players. I remember reading about it somewhere (probably SRK) before making my SF4 Vega TACV.

It's funny how SF4 snuck in a few of these quirky "flavor" elements, almost as conversation starters. I remember the first time i read about EX/focus armor and armor breakers (with that lightning symbol in the movelists), i thought it was straight up RPG status.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:I don't know how common it is, since nobody uses that EX Taunt intentionally, but it must be well-known among Vega players. I remember reading about it somewhere (probably SRK) before making my SF4 Vega TACV.

It's funny how SF4 snuck in a few of these quirky "flavor" elements, almost as conversation starters. I remember the first time i read about EX/focus armor and armor breakers (with that lightning symbol in the movelists), i thought it was straight up RPG status.
It's a pity those moves take so long to come out. It also looks like no-mask Vega does less damage in SFxT.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Rufus wrote:
Maj wrote:I don't know how common it is, since nobody uses that EX Taunt intentionally, but it must be well-known among Vega players. I remember reading about it somewhere (probably SRK) before making my SF4 Vega TACV.

It's a pity those moves take so long to come out. It also looks like no-mask Vega does less damage in SFxT.
You sure you didn't just see a Vega withut both claw and mask?

On another note, I remember Oiled Hakan's f.HK could tech grabs before, but it seems to have been removed. I also remember a glitch in vanilla SFIV, before the first patch, where you couldn't grab someone out of crumple if you did "EX air fireball, lvl.2 FA" with Akuma. I also remember how I found unblockables way before anyone else and just though it was a training mode glitch ;_;

Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to use Sagat's Angry Scar, and then do kara tiger uppercut into another angry scar (If that's even possible in the first place (With some kind of input like D, DF, B, DF, F+P~B+K?))?

onReload

Post by onReload »

Hmmm. I dunno, kara'ing one special to another, especially going from a punch to a kick button...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Hmmm. I dunno, kara'ing one special to another, especially going from a punch to a kick button...
If it doesn't work it's because you can't kara specials into specials or because it has lower priority. But I dowbt it has lower priority since it's a QCFx2 move. The real question is if that one frame of TU being active is enough to remove the Angry Scar buff, allowing you to do it again.

error1

Post by error1 »

the tiger uppercut doesn't lose the angry charge until the 2nd frame, so even if you could kara them it wouldn't work.
ANGRYCHARGE gains the charge on the 9th frame.
ANGRYCHARGE is right above his supers in the priority list
Last edited by error1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

error1 wrote:the tiger uppercut doesn't lose the angry charge until the 2nd frame, so even if you could kara them it wouldn't work.
ANGRYCHARGE gains the charge until the 9th frame.
ANGRYCHARGE is right above his supers in the priority list
Ok, thanks.

onReload

Post by onReload »

wait, if you say "above supers" do you mean it has *more* or *less* priority than supers?
error1

Post by error1 »

the lower on the move list something is the more input priority it has. It doesn't necessarily mean you can kara from everything higher then you ( I can't kara from tu to angry charge despite tu being higher ), but you definitely can't kara into something lower then you
the movelist is normally laid out like this.
standing normals
(sometimes command normals)
crouching normals
jumping normals
command normals
dash
backdash
specials
supers
ultras
throw_f
throw_b
saving
appeal

basically all it means is that if you somehow did the input for every one of a characters moves on the same frame you will end up with a taunt, beacuse it has the most priority.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

After a MK Axe Kick Evil Ryu can follow up with close MK against Seth, mid screen... Sadly this doesn't link in to MK Axe kick, but it does go in to LK Axe Kick meaning you can do

Jump HP -> Close HP -> MK Axe Kick -> Close MK -> LK Axe Kick -> FADC -> Close MP -> MK Axe Kick -> Close MK -> LK Axe Kick -> FADC (All 10% beyond this point) -> Close MP -> MK Axe Kick -> Close MK -> LK Tatsu -> HP SRK

= 895 stun without counter hit, can't figure out how to get the 900, but i'm sure you could get a jab somewhere in there during the 10%

Close MK also puts E.Ryu closer to his opponent, meaning he can do (After the Axe kick B&B, in to Close MK rather than Crouch MP)

EX Fireball -> Focus Attack Level 2 = Mid Screen

or -> LK Tatsu -> LP SRK -> FADC -> EX Shaku -> MK Axe Kick... Which doesn't normally work mid screen. (After Axe kick B&B)

Not the greatest discovery ever, but there you go!