SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

talk about how great training mode is
onReload

Re: SSF4:AE Combo Engine Investigation

Post by onReload »

Awhile ago, when they released change data for Gen, I thought of a really dumb combo if someone wants to try it (2012 isn't out for PC yet, even though I specialize in dumb combos)

Near full screen, do Gen's EX roll, counterhit the second-to-last hit, FADC, U2(Punch). If I'm reading the frame data correctly it should be a 1 frame link.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Awhile ago, when they released change data for Gen, I thought of a really dumb combo if someone wants to try it (2012 isn't out for PC yet, even though I specialize in dumb combos)

Near full screen, do Gen's EX roll, counterhit the second-to-last hit, FADC, U2(Punch). If I'm reading the frame data correctly it should be a 1 frame link.
That hit gives +8 on FADC, and U2 has a 7 frame start-up, so it should work mid-combo as well.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
onReload

Post by onReload »

Whoa, really? Don't know what I was reading then, thought it was +6, and CH would make it +7 or something. I ought to figure out this "reading" thing soon.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Whoa, really? Don't know what I was reading then, thought it was +6, and CH would make it +7 or something. I ought to figure out this "reading" thing soon.
The non-EX versions are +6.

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

So, Evil Ryu's far st. hp on counter hit knocks down the opponent, but it looks like it allows for juggle. Was this known? Am I just dumb and never noticed?
Making no profit since 1987...
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Snoooootch wrote:So, Evil Ryu's far st. hp on counter hit knocks down the opponent, but it looks like it allows for juggle. Was this known? Am I just dumb and never noticed?
It's in the changelist. Since you can do MP, HP or EX SRK after TC; it should work after this as well.

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I was playing around a bit more with fei's super, and I noticed that the GAINS float juggle regardless of the first hit of his super. I did his flame kick, and delayed his super cancel so it wouldn't hit dudley on the way up. So I basically did flame kick, xx Super (Whiff), st. hp, and got a 2 hit combo. Just thought it was weird.

Oh, and I tried what maj said about adding a lvl 1 focus attack, but for some reason, it doesn't catch dudley at all, so all you can do is either, Keep trying, Lvl 1 FA to U1, or hk chicken wing to U1.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Not engine related, but it seems like they fixed the whole "turning BGM all the way down does not mean silent" thing with the 2012 patch, at least on my PC.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

onReload wrote:Not engine related, but it seems like they fixed the whole "turning BGM all the way down does not mean silent" thing with the 2012 patch, at least on my PC.
Really? Because it seems like it's still in SFxT XD

EDIT: Yeah, they DID fix it, that's nice, hopefully what I heard in SFxT was just the music lowered and not an attempt to turn it off completely.

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Okay, I just wanted to announce how I spent the last 4 hours.

I set abel in training mode against my Makoto (Day 2). I set Counter Hit on, and did the following:

Standing heavy punch, lp Hayate, lk cancel, Standing heavy punch, lp Hayate, lk cancel, st. mp, mp Hayate, Cancel to Super, Standing heavy punch, lp Hayate, lk cancel, st. mp, st. mp hayate.

4 hours just to find out if the combo would work. I bet more works on Honda, but, for now, I'm on cloud nine having landed this combo on a ps3 pad.

Pokey, High five!
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Good job dude, i spent 4 hours using a faulty DVD only to find my optical drive won't read it ^_^ for 3 SFxT combos
Maj

Post by Maj »

Does anyone happen to know when exactly you get meter for performing a special move? I don't think it's the first frame, because if you start will full meter and kara-cancel HP DP into EX DP four times, you still end up with zero meter. That would also mean that if your non-invincible reversal (like wakeup fireball) gets stuffed by a meaty attack, you wouldn't gain any meter for it aside from however much meter you gain for getting hit.

Anyway has anyone looked into this? I'm just trying to find a way to generate a little bit of extra meter during a dizzy combo.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how SF4's dizzy duration works? Do the different icons (stars/birds/reapers) mean anything?
error1

Post by error1 »

the different icons are the same. Length or mash difficulty doesn't doesn't seem to change. I've had scripts with stun and stun mashing and the icons don't change anything.
I think you gain the meter or the second or third frame, I could figure out a hard number if you wanted.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Are you sure that dizzy duration doesn't fluctuate? I tend to stay away from prolonged meter building while the dummy is dizzy, but i remember encountering some inconsistency the few times i tried it. Though maybe that was just a factor of juggle height and i was cutting it closer than i thought.

Actually i'll just test it real quick. I'm gonna dizzy Seth a bunch of times with random attacks and measure how long it takes from the first frame of wakeup animation until the first fully recovered frame of idle pose, which is when the combo counter shows up.

248 frames (skulls), 248 (skulls), 248 (birds), 248 (skulls), 248 (birds), 248 (stars), 248 (birds), 248 (skulls)

Guess not.
error1

Post by error1 »

it's get's a little weird beacuse the opponent recovers and can block before before the combo counter resets.
Maj

Post by Maj »

How many frames is that discrepancy? I thought it was only 1 frame.
error1

Post by error1 »

it's 3-4 frames I think
edit: actually looking at it, Dan's stun recovery animation is 14 frames longer then the other characters, but can be interrupted one frame sooner, might be more character specific stuff there.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Really? 3-4 frames? If that's the case, i'm a little disappointed in Capcom. The combo counter being slightly inconsistent in Marvel or SFxT is understandable, but there's no excuse for having a sloppy counter in a strictly 1v1 fighting game.

Different characters having varying dizzy lengths is interesting, but not too useful because most dizzy combos only work against one dummy for a number of reasons, so we don't usually have the luxury of choosing between characters.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

No idea if it's known

Seth Vs Guile: Seth cornered Guile hugging

Forward Dash -> Back Dash (Sets up spacing)

Jump Cross Up HK -> Close HP -> EX Sonic Boom

this then links to Crouch MK, not much to go on after that, there are loads of ways to seet it up though. In fact, for the likes of Guile, Cammy, Gen & a few others Seth can link Ultra 1 after an EX Boom & Far HP on most as well pretty much anywhere on screen. (Easiest with Cammy)

^^Tried to make a stun combo out of the above, but the best i could get was 890^^
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Pokey86 wrote:No idea if it's known

Seth Vs Guile: Seth cornered Guile hugging

Forward Dash -> Back Dash (Sets up spacing)

Jump Cross Up HK -> Close HP -> EX Sonic Boom

this then links to Crouch MK, not much to go on after that, there are loads of ways to seet it up though. In fact, for the likes of Guile, Cammy, Gen & a few others Seth can link Ultra 1 after an EX Boom & Far HP on most as well pretty much anywhere on screen. (Easiest with Cammy)

^^Tried to make a stun combo out of the above, but the best i could get was 890^^
Had a similar combo ending in jb.HP in one of my combo videos. Didn't know you could link c.MK though, can you cancel it into EX SRK? If so, you can continue with EX Tanden and then you have a decent length combo.

error1

Post by error1 »

I've seen the ex boom to u1 link in a match video before
Maj

Post by Maj »

There was a lot of that stuff in ASR's SSF4AE Seth Combos Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 - pretty impressive, but unfortunately for me, none of it works in vanilla SF4.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Had a similar combo ending in jb.HP in one of my combo videos. Didn't know you could link c.MK though, can you cancel it into EX SRK? If so, you can continue with EX Tanden and then you have a decent length combo.
Sadly not, it doesn't reach... Perhaps you could mess about with spacing, but in my tests it's way off, even with Crouch MK moving you closer.
I've seen the ex boom to u1 link in a match video before
Yeah, it's viable against some characters, just difficult to arrange spacing. Guile it's pretty easy & Cammy it's stupid easy, pretty much any hit small or large hit confirm in to EX Boom links easily in to Ultra 1. I use it all the time in my actual games, it's a shame i rarely play Cammy's
There was a lot of that stuff in ASR's SSF4AE Seth Combos Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 - pretty impressive, but unfortunately for me, none of it works in vanilla SF4.
Nice, i was trying to get an EX boom repeat combos, though personally i'm not fond of combos starting on a crouching opponent.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Does anyone know if Post KO combos can cause dizzy? i know it offers no value to anything, but i'm just curious.
error1

Post by error1 »

Pokey86 wrote:Does anyone know if Post KO combos can cause dizzy? i know it offers no value to anything, but i'm just curious.
nope they can't
anotak

Post by anotak »

Maj wrote:Really? 3-4 frames? If that's the case, i'm a little disappointed in Capcom. The combo counter being slightly inconsistent in Marvel or SFxT is understandable, but there's no excuse for having a sloppy counter in a strictly 1v1 fighting game.
mostly speculation: i think its related to preventing "redizzy" in that time too because i think it was a safeguard to prevent someone from escaping dizzy and just getting lvl3 focused
error1

Post by error1 »

it would make sense that they did it on purpose for that reason.
Tho if you had a setup that reset like that, the opponent could just choose not to mash out if they see a fa
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

error1 wrote:
Pokey86 wrote:Does anyone know if Post KO combos can cause dizzy? i know it offers no value to anything, but i'm just curious.
nope they can't
Hmm... what about post timeout hits?
error1

Post by error1 »

Rufus wrote:
error1 wrote:
nope they can't
Hmm... what about post timeout hits?
nope, doesn't dizzy
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Turns out you can get two reps of the Crouch MK EX Boom against Guile, which let me get a combo up to 895 on the stun meter. (Guile has 900)

Set Up:

Guile Flush with corner - Jump over him, Dash once, Jump over again, Dash once, then walk one small Square

Neutral Jump HK -> Crouch HP -> EX Tanden -> Close Hp -> EX Boom -> Crouch MK -> EX Boom -> Stand LP -> Crouch MK -> MK Hyakaretsu -> Stomp Set

= 895 Stun

Annoyingly, if you could turn the `Stand LP -> Crouch MK` in to either Crouch MP (Doesn't reach) or Crouch MK (Startup too long) then the combo would do 905, which would dizzy on the final Dive Kick.

If anyone figures out a solution, let me know ^_^