Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Forum Feedback, Suggestions, Complaints, et cetera

Post by Maj »

Dang, that's a really useful feature. Can't believe none of us tried it in all this time.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

So using sh/f in credits yay or nay?

I need to know whether to add or not add in my vid
Maj

Post by Maj »

Um, i don't know. Definitely not the full URL - but if you have a big wall of text credits, then i guess a small "sh/f" mention is okay. We can all wink at each other as long we're discreet about it. And as long as it's not happening literally every week, you know?

When's the video gonna be out?
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

well all i was going to put in credits was

"maj and sh/f members"

Um not i dont have an exact date but it will be soon. Im getting the rough draft fixed now so hopefully in a few weeks (since editor is busy)
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dark_Chaotix wrote:well all i was going to put in credits was

"maj and sh/f members"
Can it just be "sh/f members" instead? There's no need to give me extra recognition. Everyone contributes the same.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm pretty sure i've said this before, but i actually don't mind double-posting at all - as long as people aren't doing it to be annoying on purpose. But there's lots of valid situations where double-posting is the best available option.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Since ComboVid is on the same server as Sonic Hurricane now, i moved the forum URL to combovid.com/forums so i guess we're officially cv/f now.

Welcome to broken links central!
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

I typed the URL, saw the "Pew, Pew, Pew" and thought the place had been hacked or something! Then I clicked it and realized what was going on. XD
Maj

Post by Maj »

Sweet, looks like i managed to get all those broken sonichurricane.com/forums links changed to combovid.com/forums so everything should be fixed now. Gotta admit, editing the database was scary - but thankfully not too difficult.

Although i may have replaced all existing "sonichurricane.com/forums" text with "combovid.com/forums" as well. Not that big a deal though, right?
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Why the change?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, i've said before that this place would've been cv/f from the very beginning if ComboVid existed back then. I thought putting them on different servers would help reduce bandwidth problems and slowdown, but that didn't seem to matter. Anyway if we run into problems, i'll just pay the hosting provider more money to paint extra racing stripes on the server.

On the technical side - having both domains on the same account allowed me to move the forum location to combovid.com without having to touch the database (except for updating the links, which was neither essential nor difficult). Moving databases always causes problems, like user accounts getting wiped out on the ComboVid main site. Avoiding that mess was a plus.

If that's not what you were asking about, then the reason is that Sonic Hurricane is my personal website. Anything associated with SH immediately gets linked back to me, so i end up getting credit for anything sh/f related.

On the other hand, ComboVid.com was established as more of a community website from the beginning, so cv/f is more neutral. A ComboVid project can be seen as something i'm simply involved with, whereas a Sonic Hurricane project is automatically something people think i'm "in charge" of.

It's a minor unspoken distinction that caught me off-guard when it started happening, but i didn't want to ignore it and let it go on.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Gah, I had my bookmark set to "http://sonichurricane.com/forums/index.php", so I just got a 404 error when I tried to get here XD
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Thats what i got too until Error1 pointed me in the right direction.

In saying that, does that mean the normal invite only still applies?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Doopliss wrote:Gah, I had my bookmark set to "http://sonichurricane.com/forums/index.php", so I just got a 404 error when I tried to get here XD
Ah ok, maybe i should up an index.php redirect page then.

Dark_Chaotix wrote:In saying that, does that mean the normal invite only still applies?
Yeah, it's still a private forum. Nothing's changed in that regard.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj, seeing as this is a private forum, is it possible for you to make the PM-folder larger? Mine is about to become full, and I've already deleted what I don't want to keep.

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

hahaha, ^ Same here. :(
Making no profit since 1987...
Maj

Post by Maj »

Gotcha, i doubled the limit to 100 messages. But i'm hesitant to increase it any further because i don't know where the line is drawn in terms of database size and server load. I haven't gotten any warnings/notices about this forum yet, but i don't want to push it.

Anyway if you want to save messages locally, you can use the "Export this view" option at the bottom of each folder to download all the messages in that folder. Then you can delete old messages normally and you'll still have a backup that you can open in Excel or Notepad if you need to check something.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Ok, thanks. And good to know.

Maj

Post by Maj »

This forum has never needed much moderation, but e-mail is the best way to get ahold of me quickly if something needs my attention. Just mentioning it since i tend to disappear for days at a time lately.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

How does one get more subscribers without bothering people to subscribe?
I generate nice views, but I only have 300 subscribers. What draws people in?
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

You have to put subscribe boxes at the end of your videos, with a teaser or soemthing.Then you gotta link them to your channel and your older videos.Basically, you kinda have to shove it down their throats.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

@ Wolverinemasterrrrrrrrrr

Idk thought, cause I myself have almost NEVER said "Subscribe!" at the end of my videos. I think I did it for a few for those super freeze videos, but I generally don't like to do it. I'm not sure how I was able to congure up over 2000 subs, but somehow it happened. It was mostly from getting like 10 to 30 subs per featured video on SRK and EH. Not just that, but the content usually makes the biggest difference.

See, like, you, Keiko, Remxi, and KYSG, y'all mostly have OLDER games on there. So those kind of games don't really get many followers. Now, all that new stuff, that gets lots of subs. Desk and Persona did a great job with that, and thus have a good following.

I know you have some UMvC3 stuff, but I don't think you really did enough of it.

Now, in the coming horizon, there are many new fighting games coming, so, that's the ticket that'll boost you up. ugh, I'm sleepy. Yeah, you know what I mean?
error1

Post by error1 »

wolverine-master wrote:How does one get more subscribers without bothering people to subscribe?
I generate nice views, but I only have 300 subscribers. What draws people in?
Make an evo video with desk, that worked for me
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, That Damage Exhibition did put my name out there, but then again, I didn't really do it for the chance to be famous or anything. I just really like editing and love the feedback.

Yeah, and I was gonna say, It helps to do collaborations with other video makers.

I did my best to do somewith Error and Pokey, and I'm working on a Smileymike video now.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Snoooootch wrote:
See, like, you, Keiko, Remxi, and KYSG, y'all mostly have OLDER games on there. So those kind of games don't really get many followers. Now, all that new stuff, that gets lots of subs. Desk and Persona did a great job with that, and thus have a good following.
I totally agree!

I like how Desk started getting really interactive with the type of videos he put out as soon as the new games came out. Like, I remember Vid of Dreams being totallyyy different than his new stuff. I think doing viewer interaction (like streaming and chatting to stream with vid cam/ taking requests for combos etc) can really help get subs.

It's a whole new world out there!
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Hahahahaha, don't worry doop, you and me, SFxT. :)
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

Thanks guys
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Snoooootch wrote:Hahahahaha, don't worry doop, you and me, SFxT. :)
Yeah. Looking forward to it.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Hey guys, please do me a favor and don't quote the entire post above you just to reply. It bloats the entire database unnecessarily and slows things down. I totally don't mind if you need to quote parts of a post or a post that's a couple of responses above yours. But if you're replying to the last post in a thread, it's kinda pointless to quote them, no?