video previews, releases, and feedback
Smileymike101

Re: SF4 Series Combo Challenges

Post by Smileymike101 »

that sounds interesting.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Another thing that might work is a multiple jump attack challenge, but you'd need to tweak the restrictions quite a bit. For example you might have to say jumping normals only, which would rule out command normals like stomps. Unfortunately it would also rule out divekicks, which are interesting.

Then whatever number of jump attacks you require, you'd probably need to increase it by one for fireball characters.

And you probably have to outlaw Yun/Yang entirely. I don't know about Yun but definitely Yang.

Anyway does that leave anything interesting?
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Not quite, only stuff like Yun jump forward hard jump back medium punch, for a 2 hit combo jumping attacks against big characters.
Without restriction though, yang and yun would be insane in their seneib enbu/genei jin supers.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, Yun and Yang are dumb. Custom Combos and shadows automatically break damn near every open-ended challenge.

Another idea - everyone has 18 base normals: 6 standing, 6 crouching, 6 jumping. Combo any 12 of them.

You'd have to insert a special rule for Dhalsim because his neutral normals are all dead ends. And you'd have to ban Yun/Yang again, or at least their supers. But it might be interesting for the majority of the cast. And we can lower the number if it's too hard for too many characters.

edit: Damn, forgot about close vs far normals. What would be the best way to handle that distinction? We could just be ghetto and ignore it if there's no elegant solution. Or we could raise the number to like 15 or so? That seems a little too high though.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Most character have more than 6 standing normals, though, with all the close/far variations, making it easier for them.Because if dudley spam st.jab, he'll do the same normal, but ryu would get 2 for the counter.

Edit:I wrote this before your edit lol.
Maj

Post by Maj »

To be honest, i kind of prefer ignoring close/far versions - just because 12 is a much more reasonable number and it forces you to plan out your combo a little more clearly. You get one jump attack for free which leaves you with 11, but another jump attack would probably end the combo.

Then there's c.HK which also ends combos, but you can avoid it if you combo literally everything else. Most characters can combo LP/LK for free with chains and minimal pushback, and mediums link well, so it's the fierces that you have to plan around.

I don't know, seems like an interesting puzzle.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Smileymike101 wrote:Stun challenge is silly because everyone is gonna just pick e.ryu/akuma, and STILL half the cast can't do anything about it.

Isn't that just like saying Maj's 700 challenge is silly because most people would use Seth :P
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Well, at least seth was a good dummy.Now that he has 900 stun it's ridiculous.
error1

Post by error1 »

how would you count command normals and target combos?
so many target combos look the same but have different proprieties of normal moves
would chuns j.hp count as two moves?
jamheald

Post by jamheald »

Don't forget to ban Juri U1 for that challenge.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't think command normals should count. They would just complicate matters without adding much to the equation. You can use them as glue of course, same as with special moves and FADCs and whatnot, but you need to connect 12 of the 18 standard normals.

As for target combos, that's a good question. I definitely wouldn't want people using air chains like Chun's double j.HP because they're too free, but i don't mind ground chains as much because you still get a lot of pushback on those. Would they make a big difference for anyone besides Dudley?
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Not really.
error1

Post by error1 »

chuns J.hp->hp is actually labeled a target combo in the movelist
yun, yang, gen, ken, oni, ibuki and guy all have fairly useful target combos for this, but Idk how many of them can do 12 even with target combos
pretty sure guy can't for example, even tho he gets most of his standing attacks free, his crouching attacks are not worth much and his meter is useless.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i don't know, just an idea. That number might have to be tweaked a bit, but i'll leave that decision up to whoever wants to host the challenge.

Another idea would be something like, push the opponent all the way into the corner and start a combo with a crossup jumping into the corner. Then carry them all the way to the other corner in one combo. The cool thing about this challenge is that it's essentially an extended midscreen combo, whereas most of the others end up being corner combos.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

But not all the character have a crossup.
Last edited by Smileymike101 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

I'm pretty sure every character can cross up Zangief's Lariat or crouching Honda or something.

edit: Haha i was like, why doesn't he know that ghetto oldschool trick? But then i remembered crossups are garbage in SF4 combos, so you have no reason to know it.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Very specific situations yes, but that will make it difficult for msot people, or they may not even think about it.
Something easy to achieve, but hard to master, like Snooootch's challenge.That got the most responses until now.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well if you're looking for something along those lines, you can always ask for something like "Find the most hits for each character."

That might actually turn into an interesting results video too - kind of like Tosaka's Saita videos.
error1

Post by error1 »

Smileymike101 wrote:Very specific situations yes, but that will make it difficult for msot people, or they may not even think about it.
Something easy to achieve, but hard to master, like Snooootch's challenge.That got the most responses until now.
if it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

^ Well the point was to be creative. That was the challenge. :)
Making no profit since 1987...
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Would anyone object to me doing a "Land 5 specials in ONE combo" challenge? Like, tomorrow?
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Knock yourself out!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yes, that actually seems interesting.

"Yes" as in "Knock yourself out!", not "I object" :P
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Done! :) Plus, I fount that Fei can cancel his far st. lp into lk chicken wing. It BARELY hits dudley, so I tried to make it a bit more stylin than just doing the same old chicken wing combo. THAT, and I got rid of the fei loop so that others would focus on other characters. :)
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

can i use old clips for this? :P if i recall my makoto combo on the colab (the one starting with stand HK) has 6 specials in it :P
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Sure thing, Pokey!
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Really? seems a bit unfair
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Well, Doopliss did it for my older trial with his dudley juggle, so why not? :)
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Snoooootch wrote:Oh yeah! I remember Maj made one like that, but it was ryu-based. Alright, I'm down.
Yeah, Maj's first SFIV challenge was slightly similar to that, it's also quite similar to my own combo challenge, but I think that one yielded some interesting results, but my rulings made lazy solutions way too common. If you can find a good set of rules this challenge might be worthwhile, if not, we're only gonna get 348756348756 short clips of people doing boring trades.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
error1

Post by error1 »

are you counting the whole combo? or Just the ultra? In any case it's hard to beat juri u1 c.lk,c.lk for 40 damage