Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

stay up to date on what's going on
AquaTeamV3

Re: Fighting Game News and Speculation 2011

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

I'm looking forward to Kuma, though I'm kinda on the fence about his model. Looks a little too cartoony if you ask me. I guess Zangief's a given now, unless they want to troll the entire SF fanbase! XD

Also, there's a (probably fake) leaked list for the game which has been surprisingly accurate. While I want Elena over Makoto, this prospective list does look interesting. Rolento and Sodom would be a very welcome treat for me.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

AquaTeamV3 wrote:I'm looking forward to Kuma, though I'm kinda on the fence about his model. Looks a little too cartoony if you ask me. I guess Zangief's a given now, unless they want to troll the entire SF fanbase! XD

Also, there's a (probably fake) leaked list for the game which has been surprisingly accurate. While I want Elena over Makoto, this prospective list does look interesting. Rolento and Sodom would be a very welcome treat for me.
That list has done nothing. Kuma, Ibuki, Hugo and Raven where known before it was released, and by the looks of it, makoto is not Ibuki's partner.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Yeah, and in addition Ono mentioned in a tweet that Korea would be upset if Juri was placed in the game (apparently the media wouldn't like it).
Maj

Post by Maj »

What? Why? Korean media doesn't like Juri?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

'Cause she's evil iirc.

I'm seriously worried that Maki is Ibuki's partner now. If she's in, that probably means: No Rolento, no Sodom (How many FF-chars can they possibly have!?), no Elena, and maybe even no R.Mika (Maki is like Guy without pants, she fills the fan-service factor). That last one is a stretch though. If this happens, I'm hoping for an Eagle+Birdie team.

error1

Post by error1 »

Idk how much final fight they really need, they already have a final fight team in hugo/transgender and probably guy/cody

I think a sfiii team is more likely
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

maki and ibuki makes sense though as they're both ninja girls.

onReload

Post by onReload »

Maki would be cool but we have Guy, so, I mean we have that Bushin-Ryu taken care of...and people don't know who she is.

and yeah while Korean kids (players) might not care, there's a lot of hatred from China/Korea toward Japan, and you know how news media tends to skew stupid fluff stories...so it's very possible they had a headline like JAPAN MAKES FIRST SF KOREAN FIGHTER EVIL AND PURPLE; MORE AT 11
Maj

Post by Maj »

Or maybe it was a relatively minor "media outrage" and Ono is bringing it up as a somewhat cruel way of getting the last laugh?
onReload

Post by onReload »

Sounds about right.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Ono is an idiot. Hope he loses his job somehow.....
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

Wavedashing is in SFxT!!! This game just got a whole lot more interesting, though I wonder if it's just for the Tekken side or can both sides do it.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Hell no, they better remove that. Unlike MvC3, this game seems to have footies, WDing would remove that.

AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

I don't think it's a programming oversight or anything, though. Wavedashing's a legit Tekken mechanic, which is why I wondered if it's a Tekken character exclusive (and even then, in Tekken only a select number of characters can do it).
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Well, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Oh shit, you just made my day Aqua! That just made that game more appealing to me. Here is a better example of quick wavedashing And I assume that backdashing is there aswell.
Last edited by Dark_Chaotix on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Is it just me, or does Dr. Strange look really out of place? Why is he almost twice Ryu's height and taller than Hulk?
spookydonkey

Post by spookydonkey »

ryu's 5'9" karate stance looks a lot more compact than dr.stranges 6'3" tiptoes to tip of fly ass collar floating magician stance... & the hulks all kinds of knees bent & hunched over.
like how honda would stand up out of his sumo stance & be as tall as claw :P
ewige blumenkraft!
error1

Post by error1 »

strange is supposed to be the same height as Captain America, he isn't a small guy but he definitely seems too tall.
I wonder if they did him this way to balance him, more susceptible to multiple jump ins etc
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

I think it's a combination of his stance and the fact that he's floating. And in that regard, it's Marvel's doing. Still, I can see how this'll make him really susceptible to mixups due to his height. Hope Zero doesn't get to close to him. :lol:
Maj

Post by Maj »

http://twitter.com/sethkillian/status/1 ... 2002310144
sethkillian wrote:UMVC3 question: has anyone playing on test noticed Ryu's mashable qcf+S multi-FB yet? If not need to demo that soon.
http://twitter.com/sethkillian/status/1 ... 6510260225
sethkillian wrote:@maximilian_ exploding FB=qcf+ hold S, multiFB=qcf + mash S. I just ask bc it's been in every build shown but nobody noticed yet :)
Wtf?
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

New music 3SO is up.  I don't know how, but they actually managed to mess up Jazzy NYC...and Ken's my favorite character...yeah. :( Sean/Oro, Hugo, and Elena's themes actually sound pretty sweet, though, the former's a vast improvement IMO. Of course, these are all the "Round 1" themes so it _might_ get better.
onReload

Post by onReload »

One commenter said that they only have one track for all rounds. : I'm not a big fan of these, which is weird, 'cause I loved Viklund's (the composer) Final Fight remixes. Don't get me wrong, some of these (not done listening yet) sound pretty good, but they don't have as "big" a sound as the original; could just be whatever files the uploader got his/her hands on.

SFIV did a few weird things (and a few nice things) to our old standby character themes, but that had better production value than this...I mean Urien's theme had that cheesy fake guitar, yeah, but those loud, bassy, insta-muted chords is what made it sound nice and raw as you got tackled like 6 times.

Remy's is decent, though again, I would like some more body/bass...and whoever is yelling "yeah!" sounds like a damn teddy bear.

Q's is pretty good, but it's hard to remix one people love so much...Ibuki's is the best IMO, it retains the awesome flute, brings in a different kind of jungle drumbeat...Hugo's is a snoozefest, though I'm glad he tried to reinvent the dude who randomly says "Circuit."

Akuma's is cool but he needs to cool it on that muting effect. Also why did some Mortal Kombat character yell at 0:40?

Anyway, none of these is terrible and they'll be some nice variety but a few choices definitely make you go "...What?"
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

If this isn't controversial, I don't know what is. :roll:
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's basically a marketing post for his card games and a tacit defense of his choice to fuck with ST, which we'll probably have to hear him talk about until the end of forever. It's worth having that discussion about 3S balance somewhere, but it's a waste of time to have it in Sirlin-land.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Maj wrote:That's basically a marketing post for his card games and a tacit defense of his choice to fuck with ST, which we'll probably have to hear him talk about until the end of forever. It's worth having that discussion about 3S balance somewhere, but it's a waste of time to have it in Sirlin-land.
I posted to this effect on SRK too, but in practical terms, I think that HDR demonstrated that 'rebalancing' is a bad idea for anything that's been unchanged for a decade. I really don't get as much of the feeling in person, but when Sirlin writes about that stuff he regularly comes off as a self-important whiny asshat.
error1

Post by error1 »

I'm really against the regressive game making capcom does, basically making the same game over and over. But if your rereleasing a new game you might as well release a version people want to play.
AquaTeamV3

Post by AquaTeamV3 »

In the case of 3SO, my stance is that if you re-balance it, it's not 3rd Strike anymore. It's a game that's stood the test of time, and people (including myself) still love it despite the balance issues. I really don't think it's fair when people compare it to other SF titles, since 3S is it's own game and is fundamentally different than the others. The lack of projectile zoning and whatnot is just how 3S works.

As for Sirlin, you can really tell that he's just bashing 3S for the heck of it. Notice how when he lists the Top 8 from previous years at EVO, he conveniently leaves out characters that aren't Chun or Yun? I dunno, while I can't judge the man as I've never met him, he just seems like the kind of guy you can't win an argument with, even if you're right. And yeah, his last paragraph looks like really blatant advertising.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

AquaTeamV3 wrote:In the case of 3SO, my stance is that if you re-balance it, it's not 3rd Strike anymore.
that's exactly what i think as well. i don't mind balancing as long as they also include the original version and make it obvious which is which tho. it does then seem a bit dodgy to have a 10+ yo game and a rebalanced version attached, i'd rather a legit sequel at that point.
onReload

Post by onReload »

The thing with a rebalance is, I'd be interested to see what changes they'd go with, but I wouldn't want it to become the new standard, which is why I don't like HDR a single damn bit...and it has other gross issues like graphics, poor interface and David Sirlin.
Sirlin wrote: It's great they did an obvious thing right with the way the button configuration screen works.
I found this particularly funny because the way button config. was for HDR and MvC2HD was absolutely the worst I've seen on a console fighting game.

Sirlin wrote: There's a problem: 3s is one of the worst balanced fighting games around. I mean that literally.
My beef with this isn't that he's calling 3S super-unbalanced (I like "pretty unbalanced" more har har), but what the hell do you mean "I mean that literally"? How can you figuratively call something unbalanced? Oh wait, that is what you're doing - to literally call 3rd Strike unbalanced would mean it would fall off a pole really easily or something, whereas Super SFIV would be able to hang tight for awhile longer.

I'm not gonna bother to read the rest of that wall of text because the last time I read something so long on Sirlin's blog...well I realized I wasted a lot of time getting angry...and it wasn't even my favorite games he was (inaccurately) dissecting. I mean this dude ruined Super Turbo - why does anyone in the whole wide world of fighting video games listen to him for anything about anything?

Anyway, like I said, a re-balanced option would be cool (though I'd have to put a lot of rage away as I have my own stupid ideas for rebalancing and would love to be in Capcom's HQ giving some input along with moretalentedplayers), but the thing is, you just can't hype up a release and be like, "Oh yeah, we also did this huge overhaul of everyone's normals and stuff, but that's only playable if you like the original gameplay." For business' sake, you can't add such a huge feature and not advertise it as THE NEXT ENTRY IN THE BELOVED STREET FIGHTER III SERIES* and make it your main selling point. This, I speculate, would inevitably lead to people thinking "Oh, so, this is the official sequel to 3S by the people who made it? Let's start learning here!" and overlook the original game, and the fact is, this is staying a port. I'm kind of glad rebalancing didn't happen because it means that the hopefully not-too-brief reignition of a 3s community will be about the game many of us love and understand, instead of the start of a small scene for some new game you could call Street Fighter III: 3.5th Strike.

*for anyone who doesn't know: nobody cares about New Generation or 2nd Impact. Nobody.