Timing converter for capturing?

question anything pertaining to the craft
ShinjiGohan

Timing converter for capturing?

Post by ShinjiGohan »

While I was at UFGT7, Seb mentioned that he wanted to record some ST finals. But I told him that he could try however ST and other arcade games don't run NTSC framerates and the v-sync is a bit off so newer capturing methods have trouble interrepting the footage being sent to it. As I've had trouble recording with my USB/PCI/PCIe cards and have had to use a DVD recorder in order to record some of the footage (doesn't work with UMK3 as that sync is even weirder than CPS2 or ZN2 platforms).

He mentoned something about a "timer". I guess its a device that'll convert the v-freq of the sync to something standard like NTSC 29.97/59.94. I had never heard of anything like that before. I did a quick google check and saw some IC chips that I could wire up that might do the trick. But I'm not 100% sure if thats what he was talking about.

Have any of you ever heard of something like this? I'd assume that it might skew of the audio during the capture but I can always change the fps after capturing to something closer to its native fps so that'll eliminate the audio desync problem (should one exist in the first place).
Rufus

Re: Timing converter for capturing?

Post by Rufus »

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cv-04- ... d_253.html

There's also the JROK and JROK sync cleaner.
error1

Post by error1 »

it seems like you could fix any frame rate problem when encoding, but I guess that wouldn't work when streaming.
I didn't realize this was an issue
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

I already have jrok and the sync cleaner, but neither one modifies the frequency of the sync so newer devices can interrept the video feed.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShinjiGohan wrote:I already have jrok and the sync cleaner, but neither one modifies the frequency of the sync so newer devices can interpret the video feed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scan_conversion

I would expect that if you feed the signal from a VGA converter like this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-eg ... d_291.html
into a VGA->Composite converter, then you'll get good V-sync... probably end up with a bit of lag or frame tearing though.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

actually I have that too. Picture position and brightness are a little iffy on it (with CPS1 games, CPS2 and ZN2 I think were fine IIRC), screen would sometimes blank out as well for a split second (probably its solution to displaying the info too fast, instead of the tearing). I'll have to retest that out. Worse case scenrio I'd have to get a pegasus capture card (like magnetro has) for vga capture and possibly bypass the scan converter back down to composite.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Well, I don't have a supergun handy, so I can't do a whole lot of testing. I'll be taking a crack at it next weekend at RevaLAtions though, so we shall see.
ShinjiGohan

Post by ShinjiGohan »

good luck with it then.