top 10 combo videos of 2010

video previews, releases, and feedback
Snoooootch

Re: top 10 combo videos of 2010

Post by Snoooootch »

I got into watching Combo Videos from watching the 09'er SF4 video. Can't remember who did it right now, and couldn't find it on the youtube, so I'll leave it at that. Soon after watching that video, I looked up more videos centered into sf4 and found SonicHurricane. By seeing what Maj did with his TACVs, I soon became reluctant to do my own. I'm not very smart when it comes to characters I don't know, so I stuck to those I did. By watching Maj's crazy combos, I started to think out of the box on them. I'd think for hours just for one combo and eventually started to write on a note pad. I have lots of stuff under wraps that I plan to one day record, but for now I've been learning the hardware and software I've acquired since then. As far as combo video interest, I looked up all the people on Maj's videos who were on the "Special thanks" section and soon enough, I was watching Smileymike, error1, doop, etc. Now, for me to do a top 10 list, I'd have to rule myself out, for I'd have a personal Bias, sense I'm not a Vs series fan at all. MvC, TvC, CvSNK, and anything before and after. But I do see fit to judge the presentation of them.

These probably will get out of hand as far as keeping it to 3-4 sentences. . .

1. Maj, your videos contain more than just amazing combo ideas. You include whiffing hits, specific music, colors, stages, taunts, and even manipulations of the environment. Your editing itself is very simple, and by adding those certain things to your videos, I have to put you on top of my list. And as far as combo videos, My favorite one from you is the Ryu exhibition, which includes more games than I can name. This, plus the dedication you inspired in me put you as a Combo video maker, on top of my list.

2. Doopliss. You blow my mind all the time. Your addition to the fighting game community stood out to me. And your list of videos contains more than just combo videos. You have extremely comical stuff, like your Seth's Reaction videos, and your little comments on your highlight reel video, "Soul crushing Taco Slap." hahaha. You also opened up my mind to the Super Freeze videos, along with Error1. When you came out with "Doll Fighter," I went nuts! I thought to myself, "Hm... this guy does it all!" And that take on Viper's screech was top notch. haha. I love your take on Dhalsim, and therefore, my favorite video from you was your Catastrophic Rebound video. It blew my mind, like I said. I think I watched it like 13 times the first day. The music choice, the music sync, the dedication to land each and every normal Sim has. Gah, incredible!

3. Error1, you, sir, toyed with SF4 as if it was your lab rat. You were the one who gave me the idea to do those super freeze videos after you released that "Ken glitch" video where his Ultra was suspended in the super freeze speed. Indirectly, but true. I thank you for that. You have been very supportive of Maj's work, and basically the whole community's. I see your name everywhere there's a great combo video, whether it's a special thanks credit, or a shout out. I appreciate the work you do. As far as combo video goes, I loved your "error1's guide to impractical street fighter 4 combos." Very comical, well edited, and when you dizzied Sim during Sakura's Ultra animation, I went wild!

4. Although I don't know much about you, I did think Smileymike's Breaking the Rules videos were/are incredible. Perhaps it comes with experience, but the way you discovered so many original ideas in one (2 part) video gives you a direct spot in my heart. Your creativity was what got to me there. Some crazyness out of such a restricted game. I truly admire that about you as a person, who dedicated so much time and effort into one long, yet nonstop eye catching, jaw dropping, underwear browning combo video.

5. I love Sol and Bosslogic's editing and style. It's not too elaborate and they take feedback greatly. They are great people and Bosslogic even offered to help me out at one Point. Their editing itself is amazing, and have the most incredible take on Trailers for upcoming events. TRAILERS! I really like their contribution, their events, their tips, their higlight reels; And combos? It comes with no thought to it... BAM Combo video! It was a work of art.

6. Magnetro, although I'm not a fan of any kind of versus style fighting game, I must say that your MvC2 videos were the bomb! Your commentary on why, and/or how you did certain combo is what makes me watch your videos and rewind, and rewind like a mad man. You have been very kind to step into and out of the spotlight as the best MvC2 combo video maker. A out of respect, and out of great appreciation to the fact, I include you in this list.

7. How can I forget Desk? Although he's very Character specific like me, he also takes it one step further by not limiting himself to Chun Li on his combo videos. His glitches, tutorials and tips are extras to an already incredible and growing combo video maker. Project Dolphin is sick! And his combo videos are a reflection of a professional executioner! I admire his work. He makes it look easy! For combo video, my favorite one is his SSFIV: CMV No. 5, only because it surpassed 1 - 4 in style and personality. The beginning, in the character selection screen, he goes with the beat of his music! When I first saw that, I restarted the video immediately! haha. Desk, My beanie goes off to you. (It's cold)

8. There are combo videos that were made by people who don't really focus on making Combo videos. One of my favorite ones is by SCHeartless. He called it his "Stun Combo Exhibition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYN23NuFL_Y. It's pretty straight forward. The thing I love about it is the concept itself.

9. Well, when speaking Character specific, I would like to add in ninth place, Get The Froot's Ken Masters combo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLU5xCO ... 3&index=14. I have a great deal of respect for his creativity and ability to add meaties to a combo while it is in progress! I think this is the best character specific combo video I've ever seen. Thus I want to give it a spot in this list. I mean, Comboing cr. lk to cr. mk? You, sir, are amazing!

10. For combo videos, I always look for 2 things. Style, and the ability to reflect one's self through the combos, for I see combo videos as works of art. This tenth place I would like to give it to none other than my own video: The Fei long Advanced combo Sequel (Part 1 and 2). I even made a trailer for it before I released it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dwQPKUj2s. In these videos I did more than spend hours per combo. I structured myself to find a way to do each Idea I had. I used my own taste in music. I used a list that expressed my interests and, well, basically me, on Part one of the 2 videos during the 3 hitter section where I divided the screen between the texted back drop, and Honda, and Dhalsim getting hit by a character specific combo. I put a lot of time, effort, and sleep time into these videos, and I feel very proud of myself for them.

One person I did not add, is Mr. Dustkicka for his Combo exhibition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOn5qlv ... 8&index=63. Props on the editing, amigo!

And lastly, who can forget Xenozip. Countless SFA3 combo videos all the way! Can't choose a favorite. They all rock, bro.

Over all, anyone who I did not mention was still thought of, and I respect each and every one of you who contributed/s to this community. Best wishes, and I can't wait to see what we all come up with next!
Last edited by Snoooootch on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making no profit since 1987...
error1

Post by error1 »

09er was pokey86 something seems to have happened to it on u2b tho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pghAmv_P_p8

I say we just post Snoooootches, I liked it
fyi u2b puts a lot of garbage at the end of the address and the first & and everything after it is unnecessary, so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLU5xCO ... 3&index=14
is better off as just
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLU5xCO1ss
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Oh, sorry bout those long links...

Yeah, but the idea of a top 10 combo videos is tough to fill. It is why I instead focused on the contributions, the creativity, the over all meaning of each contributor. I think it'd be more than just combo videos, but of the people themselves. Although I don't like ranking them, I see it as more of a list of people I feel have the greatest impact on the community in my eyes. Don't mean to be bias against the Vs series, but I can add those in too. It's just that for it to be a 2010, it doesn't seem fit to not concentrate on the 2010 games like ssf4, Blazblue, and well, although the other older games are still flourishing, I think it's more of a modernization that it should focus on. But again, that's not up to me. I just do sf4 videos and love it.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm curious... How did I inspire the Super Freeze videos? The only thing I can think of that's similar to that is this C.Viper combo.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

the editing in that video was very well structured. It made me re think the way i did my first 3. It's why i got mikey to make music for them. Your video filled me head with ideas!
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Ah, I'm glad to hear it.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Oh yeah, and Pokey's combo video, yesssss. That thing was amazing!
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Snoooootch wrote:Oh yeah, and Pokey's combo video, yesssss. That thing was amazing!
lol? Hey i enjoy mine more than most probably do... But top ten quality? Nah! (Though i am proud of that chicken wing combo :P)
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Yeah. Chicken wing combo... 5 one frame links in one combo. Amazing stuff! So anybody else posting lists up? I put this list in Microsoft word and it reached the 5th page. Wow!
onReload

Post by onReload »

I don't think I could really do top videos since I think a lot of my favorite material is broken into smaller pieces; that is, I might like one combo very much, but not care for the overall video...but asking me to find my favorite COMBOS of the year? That's...a really hard list to make. I'd have to have everything right in front of me.

As far as SF4 goes, probably Maj and Error1 for creativity within the engine and quality/simple edits. Desk did some ridiculous stuff with his sense of rhythm, presentation (great editing/hidden annotated links) and mysterious ability to come out of nowhere with new tricks (even in HDRemix). I also enjoyed Pokey and Doopliss' videos more than the videos from other newcomers. Not quite combo videos, but Tigre III and Krusan had some of my favorite videos with the Zero Damage series.

Keiko came up with some amazingly high-quality stuff for A2/Z2A, so I have to put her on here somewhere. 538's Dudley and Yang came out, so I was amazingly happy to see those, but the Dudley one blew my mind many more times than the Yang one - it kinda overshadowed rKf's latest Dudley vid (with great music choice as usual), which was also pretty damn good - especially when you remember that it's manual execution.

Magnetro did a great job putting together Joo's work for his ubiquitous DVD, and still managed to find time to start/contribute to the Super Fireball Battle compilation, make Variable Atmosphere 2 (and write up EXHAUSTIVE explanations, which helped me learn, like, 90% of what I now know about the VS. engine), and still have clips leftover for a Neta Compilation (ehem, you need to give me clean, full-screen versions of those situations and combos.)

Goddamn EVERYONE HERE who put time into the sh/f Style Exhibition and the Super Fireball Battle video. I can still watch both of these way too many times. I also felt like the S3 CMV that CPS2 put together with people here was like a miniature version of the style vid.

Whew. Maybe I'll be on someone's list for 2011, with the free time I may have on my hands...
Last edited by onReload on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

So what did you hope to do with these lists, Maj?
onReload

Post by onReload »

I was just making mine 'cause I figured you were just saying your personal piece, and thought I'd do the same
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know, they're just interesting to read amongst ourselves. I don't feel like writing one myself, but i've posted enough comments and you guys have seen enough of my spotlights/highlights to know what i've liked.

Initially we were discussing publishing a list on ComboVid, but the ones that have been posted so far have way too much of a personal tone for me to feel comfortable publishing them. Not that there's anything wrong with the actual choices. It's all subjective anyway, so it's cool that everyone's choosing different selections for different reasons.

The only 2010 video that i'd consider absolutely mandatory is Joo's MvC2 DVD. I'm also pretty happy with both of our Evo releases. Everything else is debatable, imo. Well, except for Pokey's 09'er video. That definitely can't be one of the top 10 videos of 2010.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yeah. The Joo DVD. I don't even know what to say about that thing when it comes to this topic. Visit my webzone for an updated Joo's DVD page: http://magnetro.com/dvd

> Marc: I don't even have the neta clips in full anymore. I deleted them and just kept the scrap video to replace the .RAR of clips.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Hey Maj, so should I re write it? Or should I just not worry about it? I tried to make it personal so you wouldn't be weird about it, but I guess it went both ways. Just let me know. I'm a literary machine.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Don't get me wrong, i like it the way you wrote it - for us. But for ComboVid, it would probably be more appropriate if it was a little more ... um, dry.

You know, like any of those endless year-end lists you see in Rolling Stone, Spin, etc. If you're down to rewrite it to make it a little more objective-sounding, then i'd be down to post it. It's still gonna be your individual list, so don't be afraid to include your personal perspective.

But phrases like "although I don't know much about you" and "the dedication you inspired in me" and "I see your name everywhere there's a great combo video" are a bit much. I'd really prefer if this was focused on individual videos (and their impact, that's fine too) rather than people and their perceived influence.

Lastly, Joo's DVD needs to be included plzkthx.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Bah, sounds tough. So as far as "Combo video," can a combo video series be included as one project instead of one separate video for each in the series?
Maj

Post by Maj »

That's up to you. It doesn't have to be Top 10 either. It could be Top 17 if you want it to be. Hell, it doesn't even have to be an ordered list.
Maj

Post by Maj »

On second thought, new plan. Fuck everything i just said. I don't know why i'm being so indecisive with this.

Here's my problem. I don't want there to be an "Official ComboVid Top 10" list because i don't feel comfortable publishing an inherently subjective list on a website where it will inevitably be perceived as an authoritative list.

So here's what we're going to do. I'm going to publish one article, containing three (or more) of these top 10 lists, so that the subjectivity of the whole thing is absolutely clear without us having to overthink it or overstate it.

If anyone wants to contribute their list, here are the requirements:

- Decide your Top 10 videos of 2010. They must be 10 individual videos exactly. Not series.

- Include a brief explanation of each choice. I only want like 2-3 lines of text, which is only around 150-250 characters. We have to keep it short because this is going to turn into a really long article already.

- It's up to you whether it's an ordered/numbered list or not.

- If you want, you can include a brief "Honorable mentions" paragraph where you list a few others.

- Joo's DVD must be on everyone's Top 10 list. Hahaha i know it sounds absolutely ridiculous for me to be making this demand, but to me it's even more ridiculous to publish a list where it's not included. FIVE YEARSSSSSSSS!!!

Any questions?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Hahaha. Are you mocking it? I can't even tell at this point.

Also, isn't it kinda late to post the list? It's like 5 days into '11.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's not too late, as long as we get it done in the next couple days. I mean, any decent list would have to be done after the year ended, right?

I just don't want future generations looking back and seeing a Top 10 list on ComboVid that doesn't include Joo's DVD, because that would be a blasphemous travesty. NOT ON MY WATTTCHHHHHHHH!!!
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I suppose if your list article thing gets posted everywhere, it'll be more publicity for joo's and my stuff.

I never liked HHH in and out of the ring.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Sweet! I'll get mine Up soon.
onReload

Post by onReload »

Unless you need it, I'm probably not gonna through the trouble of making it more presentable to a wider audience, I wrote mine with the forum members in mind, and while I can make it less personal-sounding, I don't really feel like narrowing it down to one video per person/group.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, it's up to you if you want to participate. Haha i'm not gonna force anyone.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's kind of a shame that this went nowhere, but it's understandable. I guess we all got tired of overthinking it at the last minute. Next year we should start discussing candidates in mid-December.

I still like the format of multiple perspectives in one article. However, maybe we should also have a rule where nobody can pick their own videos, just to simplify things. And i'll have to participate as well (because it would be kind of messed up to suggest that rule and then withdraw).
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Sounds good! Well, good luck to you all! I'll do my best to make y'alls list.
wolverine-master

Post by wolverine-master »

awwww shucks.
no love for me? :(