video previews, releases, and feedback
error1

Re: SF4 Biweekly TACV Series

Post by error1 »

4 hit combo is pretty massive for Blanka so it's probably worth including
Maj

Post by Maj »

For future reference, i tried Honda's ultra interrupt setup against Seth, Ryu, and Sagat's slow fireballs. None of them even came close to working. I'm assuming Ken's and Akuma's won't work either. Gouken has no slow fireball. And that only leaves Dhalsim, Chun Li, Sakura, and Dan, all of whose fireballs fade out before reaching the edge of the screen.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

So it only works with Guile and Rose?
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i guess so, unless it works against Sakura's EX fireball or something obscure like that.

edit: Tried that too - close but still doesn't seem to work. Anyway it knocks down so you wouldn't get much out of it. Maybe quick stand reversal Oicho? That might look cool but wouldn't provide any tangible benefit over the Rose setup.
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Maj wrote:Yeah i guess so, unless it works against Sakura's EX fireball or something obscure like that.

edit: Tried that too - close but still doesn't seem to work. Anyway it knocks down so you wouldn't get much out of it. Maybe quick stand reversal Oicho? That might look cool but wouldn't provide any tangible benefit over the Rose setup.
Dee Jay?

I know this is an SFIV TACV, however if a good combo setup is only available for SSFIV it might be worth still checking, or save it for another video.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Pokey86 wrote:
Maj wrote:Yeah i guess so, unless it works against Sakura's EX fireball or something obscure like that.

Dee Jay?

I know this is an SFIV TACV, however if a good combo setup is only available for SSFIV it might be worth still checking, or save it for another video.
Glitch is removed in Super.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Ah

---

Great stuff on the Blanka Honda TACV, didn't realise the honda corner combo makes crumple, i lol'd when honda threw after the soul spark hit. I also find it strange Blankas roll only hits once after his Ultra.

Great combos anyway, far better than i anticipated. I thought blankas section would be Gen Super trades on every section :P
Maj

Post by Maj »

I think the reason Blanka's super hits only once is that he's fully in the corner both times. And he automatically starts moving forward as soon as he makes contact, so it's basically doomed to one hit. You can't even take a step backward before doing the super because he starts off by hopping forward anyway.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Btw in case anyone is having the same MeGUI problem as me (with encoding taking hours), here are the settings i was using:

Code: Select all

program --profile high --pass 2 --bitrate 5000 --stats ".stats" --ref 15 --no-fast-pskip --bframes 6 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 9 --trellis 2 --partitions all --me umh --merange 64 --threads 1 --thread-input --no-dct-decimate --output "output" "input"
And here are the settings i've been using since it told me i'd have to wait five and a half hours for style v.one after i'd already waited three hours. (And it most certainly meant nine hours instead of five.)

Code: Select all

program --profile high --pass 2 --bitrate 5000 --stats ".stats" --no-fast-pskip --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 9 --partitions all --me umh --threads 1 --thread-input --no-dct-decimate --output "output" "input"
Honestly i can't tell the difference in quality, but it cut down encoding time to 1/3 or 1/4 of what it was before. Now it takes roughly 15-20 minutes per minute of video, which i can deal with because that's about as long as WME takes too.

Btw 5000 bitrate is waaay unnecessarily high, but u2b re-encodes it anyway. I'd use something more reasonable but their guidelines are vague (adhereing to their strict policy of vagueness) so i'm sticking with overkill.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Nice vid Maj, as always...

What program do you use for capturing/editing/encoder?

I can see that all your Youtube vids have the two black bars in both sides... That s because you want to mantain aspect ratio/resolution? Is very easy to change this to a full screen youtube resolution... I always have wanted to answer this to you...
Maj

Post by Maj »

I use VirtualDub for capturing, After Effects for editing, and MeGUI or WME for encoding. And yeah, i'd rather maintain aspect ratio. The bars on the side don't bother me enough to stretch the picture.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Yeah, is an interesting dilemma... "to stretch, or not to stretch" :? ...

I dont remember it,
the s.HP ->c.LP of Honda and the c.LK->c.LK->c.LK->c.LP-> Hands also works in SF4?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah i think both of those work in SF4. I almost used s.HP, s.LK xx HP hands, but i just liked s.MP, s.LP xx HP hands because it was all palm strikes, and then the HP hands hit exactly four times.

Plus i didn't want to get in the way of error1's multi-hands combos because he'd clearly done more research on it than me. Strangely enough, the crossup vertical j.HP was the very first time i successfully hit Guile after the ultra trade. Before that, Honda kept passing over Guile without hitting him and i was wondering if it was even possible to hit Guile with that move. But that's his most damaging jump attack so i had to try it first.

To be honest i'm still undecided about whether to use the most damaging jump attack in every combo, or to mix it up for variety. I usually go for the most damaging unless the rest of the combo does no damage whatsoever anyway. I was happy to have an excuse to use Blanka's j.HP in one combo. But yeah, i get bored of using the same one in three combos, so at least i try to use vertical ones instead of forward jumping ones.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Oh! Try a 3 High step Kick with sagat against Dhalsim's j lp. I wonder if it is actually able to juggle. Or maybe you can do like the high step kick against the lp, then do a light uppercut at it's highest reach to see if you can land another high step kick to ultra.
Making no profit since 1987...
error1

Post by error1 »

hsk isn't a free juggle type of thing, it only has a jp of 1
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

but can't you juggle twice? Or is that a Vanilla thing?
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't think you can do three in a row. First F+HK knocks down, second F+HK juggles, third F+HK is past the limit so it whiffs. I'll try to do something interesting with that kick but i don't know what yet. Shouldn't be too hard to find something.

Btw this is all kind of in limbo right now. I've got a couple things to sort out before i can get back to work on these, hopefully in a couple of days.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Cool, Well, I wish you luck! If I think of anything with the remaining characters, I'll pitch in the idea.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

When it comes to seth, maybe you want to evolve any of these ideas further: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNPN_6fnyc#t=5m33s

Apparently nobody watched that vid, so you could get away with it (note to self, do not wait until the next version of the game is out before I release my video)

Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

So How is this coming along Maj?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haven't had time to work on it. Plus dealing with Chun is just about the least appealing thing on my mind right now.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I figured either Chun or balrog would make you feel like that. Well, tomorrow I'm having a free day, so I'm going to get on and see what I can find with these characters. I'll let you know what I find. playing sf4 instead of super is going to feel so new.
Maj

Post by Maj »

The problem isn't finding stuff. I can always find stuff whether or not i like the character. In fact Chun Li seems like one of the more interesting ones.

The problem is always optimizing stuff. And i can already tell that it's going to take forever and a half with her.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

I know what you mean. I'm just offering a bored yet "creative" mind. Plus, I'm excited to play the reliable old vanilla.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Replacing meaty s.LP, ultra with c.HP (one hit) xx HK Lightning Legs (five hits), c.HP (one hit) xx EX SBK, whiff s.LP, ultra (ninteen hits) brings the total up to 190 hits. I got it recorded for the DVD, so i think i'm done with that combo. While i was at it, i also changed the MP Kikokens to HP Kikokens for damage (even though the MP version looks cooler).

The only thing i'm still curious about is whether the c.LP xx LK SBK infinite (or semi-infinite or whatever) can lead to a 100% damage combo against Dhalsim. Otherwise i don't really want to repeat one of those Seth death combos if there's nothing new to be done.

HK Spinning Bird Kick is the other intriguing thing, because 270 damage / 270 stun is pretty crazy. Her vertical j.HP only does 140 damage (or 158 on counterhit). Unfortunately 21 startup and 23 recovery (11 of which is airborne apparently) makes it useless for all practical purposes.
error1

Post by error1 »

c.LP xx LK SBK infinite works on other characters. Akuma would be easier to kill with it. Are you sure it's not a true infinite?

mk sbk does 210/280 and has the same frame advantage as lk so you can link super or if meaty link jab
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's pretty much impossible to make the last hit meaty without sacrificing earlier hits. Interrupting it is out of the question since she's airborne during half of recovery, which only leaves LP Kikoken as a bridge. But that probably won't work either because it vanishes too soon, plus it's got terrible damage/stun.

counterhit HK SBK + LP FB = 2 moves, 328 damage, 328 stun
counterhit vertical j.HP + s.HK = 2 moves, 258 damage, 587 stun

Still better, but not by as much. Anyway i'll test it out later. And i know that LK SBK loop works against other characters, but killing Dhalsim seems a lot more impressive than killing Akuma. Or maybe i'll just try to kill Vega without the infinite and call it a day.
desk

Post by desk »

Maj wrote:Replacing meaty s.LP, ultra with c.HP (one hit) xx HK Lightning Legs (five hits), c.HP (one hit) xx EX SBK, whiff s.LP, ultra (ninteen hits) brings the total up to 190 hits.
Is that transcribed correctly dude? I have a variation adding a bunch of hits to the loop that I'm too much of a douche to post up (saving for a vid). Just want to make sure it's not the same.

edit: I never got to doing HP hadokens, didn't even realise it was viable in that loop. Awesome find dude!!
Maj

Post by Maj »

Yeah, except for Lightning Legs being HK -> MK like always, so:

c.HP (one hit) xx HK -> MK Lightning Legs (five hits), c.HP (one hit) xx EX SBK, whiff s.LP, ultra (nineteen hits)

I'm pretty sure that 19 is the most hits you can get out of a juggle ultra. Normally it's 1 kick + 7 lightning legs + 1 launcher + 12 upspin. During a juggle, you can only get 5 hits out of the lightning legs part, but you can get all 12 upspin hits if the launcher connects low enough. Though it's practically impossible against the high bounce characters. I've never gotten more than 17 total on Honda.

Anyway i'm happy with 8 bars / 190. A few more hits won't build up another bar, and i got bigger fish to fry.

Okay maybe not bigger. Smaller, but more exotic!

On an unrelated note, i'm somewhere between 99-100% convinced that goon on the bicycle alters game speed. I was trying to keep the biker guy in roughly the same spot because it's funny when he drives through during the crouch loop, and it would always screw up in the same parts if i timed it a quarter second too early. Then i started waiting a little longer and it worked waaay more consistently. Huge, huge difference in success rate - from straight up zero to over 5%.
desk

Post by desk »

dude, that might be the most incredible fighting game observation ever, lol. Also, I didn't even realise that it's going to be 8 bars, that has to be the most anyone has used in a single combo.

Yeah, I think 19 is right. It's actually preferable to U2 in super because it that doesn't do a set amount of hits just has stupid juggle potential. U1 always does more after EXLL/SBK. Do you find you have to do the ultra super early after the LL vs abel as well? is the whiff LP for timing purposes or just style?