Super and Regular SFIV combos+music+stuff

video previews, releases, and feedback
Xenozip.

Re: Super and Regular SFIV combos+music+stuff

Post by Xenozip. »

That thing with Samurai Shodown was sort of my fault. The game does use a lot of weird game-specific terminology, and a quick test revealed the nature of the bug.

Also, what's with Buppa? That's a BB:CS Hazama player, right? I bumped into that name after posting those hitbox videos but I dunno anything else. Probably some meme?

My experience with talking with Japanese players isn't a particularly good one. Everyone is polite and formal and nothing actually gets discussed. The only answers we've gotten out of JP players are random generic ones like "who's top tier" -> "Marisa and Sakuya" -> "oh, duh, why'd we ask a dumb question". Oh and trying to talk to ShoK about certain glitches and bugs and imbalances in Monster was like beating my head against a wall, I don't think he understood half of what I said or believed the other half. I don't hang out in the JP IRC channels but I do know they use IRC plenty. My impression of the channels is that they are rather stuffy though. AFAIK the westerners that are in the JP channels just lurk.

However, the experience is apparently significantly different when you meet them in person. All I ever hear from people who've been to Japan, or have talked to the JP players when they were visiting overseas, is great stories of awesome conversations and good times.

To me that's kind of understandable, after all I've been through trying to teach people crap unsuccessfully. I could see how most JP players would rather just show you, than to explain anything regarding anything ever.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I was only using the SS5 thing as an example, it's happened to me plenty of times, and I purposely went looking for the specific SS terminology...returned some things, some interesting things, but not for what you sought.

"buppa" means like, random bullshit you throw out, like a wakeup super or any naked/random (i like to say "cold") super/ultra/hyper combo/distortion drive/penis pump/whatever. i don't think it's necessarily restricted to wakeup crap; even if you just walked forward and did a tatsumaki at midscreen, that's buppa, as far as I understand it. mainly because i spent a lot of time doing it. :D it's hard to find examples of it being used/defined in proper context because match commentary generally doesn't get rude like that (i don't really watch casuals/low-ranked parts of tourneys in japanese), and it's not really going to be listed anywhere like a technical term. for all i know, it's also dialectically derived and some japanese players would have no idea what it means.

so yeah I guess the guy named Buppa is like having a player named RandomUltra in SSFIV.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

As far as I know "Abare" is primarily used in context of doing random/risky stuff. Wakeup DP, unsafe mixups, random super, other stupid shit, all abare.

However, after watching a few BB:CS Buppa videos I am seeing the dude random super during blockstrings or even just as anti-air/pokes. I could see how this became a meme that overshadowed abare, since the dude really does spam the hell out of it. If buppa isn't an actual word like abare, then I'm inclined to believe the meme started because of him. I'd like to see if anyone was using Buppa years ago before BB:CS.

6:35 here: http://zoome.jp/gamechariot/diary/173
During this match, Buppa does super during blockstring like twice or three times, mid-blockstring gold burst, wakeup super, and lots of abare mixups. Not something you see every day.
Neophos

Post by Neophos »

From the tales I hear of the japanese Guilty Gear-scene, "buppa", as far as I know it, roughly means "random shit that leads to huge damage". It's most commonly used for Testament's Badlands ("buppalands") and Slayer's Pilebunker ("buppapiru"). Abare, as Xenozip says, is roughly "being reckless". So they're kinda related, except abare is used in the west for what buppa is used for in the east (in the Guilty Gear-community. The Virtua Fighter-community apparently uses abare like the japanese, I.E., stupid and unsafe play).
onReload

Post by onReload »

So when you say "random shit", do you mean it's odd that badlands and bunkerpile do huge damage, or when you throw them out 'randomly', you get huge damage? i'm still unsure of the difference aside from big damage

edit: here's a link from nicodouga's site explaining it. i'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it at this ungodly hour. it definitely mentions risk vs reward, open moments in specials, and yomi/reading the opponent etc...the last bit that says a 'quasi-synonym' is the reversal, where a waking up opponent uses a move with invincibility...and that this has a high possibility of turning the tables. so buppa could just be wakeup/reversal type stuff, still not sure if it's +/-.

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/ぶっぱ

also, this page http://www39.atwiki.jp/gamefight/pages/177.html has your GG/BB player listed, and one of the lines seems to read "if i had to say, he has the name buppa because of an aggressive fighting style."

lastly, livedoor has a wiki with a fighting game section, and defines it as "an unexpected special or super, during wakeup and the like." (buppa is sometimes seen as "buppa nashi", nashi usually meaning "without" so i'm guessing it's like 'without warning/context/meaning' etc. seems like it's neutral by definition.
Last edited by onReload on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I'd like to see an example of it being used for sf/kof/mb/etc. It's not in any dictionary I know of, and I asked some one studying Japanese and he basically said the same thing. The dude I asked is also a GG player and informed me that Buppa use to play Ky in GG. I've personally never heard it used anywhere for other games, so if it's not a real word despite being written in hiragana then I still think it's a name and a meme that's used mostly in the GG/BB community, because of the player. I could be wrong though, maybe it's just hella slang.

I mean, the MB community use to refer to fuzzyguards by the player's name rather than an actual word.
desk

Post by desk »

My Japanese FG knowledge doesn't go much further than ’しゃがみ’、’めくり’ and 弱-中-強, lol (Basically the stuff used in 'Yoga Book Hyper'). Would be interested to read a list of commonly used terms though.

Does anyone know for definite when the Super patch is out? The Japanese blog says 15th, though this is quite old now and a lot of people are saying 21st. Also, Do the views from SRKs media page actually count towards the youtube play count? I don't see why they wouldn't but the numbers don't add up.
CPS2

Post by CPS2 »

desk wrote:Would be interested to read a list of commonly used terms though.
There's this:
http://www.versuscity.net/japanese-arcade-lexicon/
desk

Post by desk »

Just skimmed that page, looks great, thanks for the link dude.

I need to do tons of work on compounds and readings anyway, so hopefully it'll be interesting and improve my Japanese a bit.
onReload

Post by onReload »

yeah that's really helpful, i was waiting for something like this, but I figured it would be in Japanese...good work by this guy and you for posting
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Ahh that's really handy. Thanks.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Please explain that crouch glitch D:

And nice with EX tanden after normal SRK.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

The crouch glitch is pretty easy, but i think it's char specific, because their crouching animatio differs.I know it works with ryu at least.Record, press down 1 frame, and then you gotta let it record 1 more frame, otherwise he'll just crouch.So you must record 2 frames, one of with is holding down.Basically you just have to rerererecord until it works :)
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

That's what I thought it was tbh. But isn't it sufficient to merely record one frame of crouching? Because you automatically stand up one frame between recordings.

onReload

Post by onReload »

whole video was awesome, probably the best multi-character combo video so far.

-t. hawk was damn near the ground when you did that cross-under tandem typhoon, that must have been hard
-holy hell at cr. mp to demon armageddon with akuma. did you really cancel low strong to teleport to demon so quickly that the red flames never appear?
-the angry scar and spaced-out hits of tiger knee were awesome for sagat.
-dudley's backdash during the corner juggle.
-ken's double HP shoryu fadc after meaty crossup tatsu of course.
-getting akuma to be hit towards rose because of her Ultra II. can more be done with this?
-the real-match style setups you used on that focus-to-super/ultra part were really cool, i liked abel's the most. Was Guy going to get the whiff version of his super where he can follow up with ultra? also the zoom-in + 3d combination never fails to make me laugh when things like gouken munching on dhalsim's bracelets are possible. i also don't quite get what's going on in this section overall, is this new to super? i thought we knew that you could focus to taunt, and focus to stance change, but for some reason not focus to lariat and focus to ultras/supers - hell, especially supers, they only need one button press.
-kinda wish you showed the full damage on the 3 armor hits + CQC pseudo-combo. i know that last neck breaker does surprisingly large damage.
-weird how rufus stops the ex tornado after nullifying the first satellite, i would have figured you could get multiple projectiles (or all of rose's ultra ii) with ex tornado.
-don't need to talk about how awesome the juri combo is
-really cool that sakura can ultra ii after HP shouoken...is it possible with the horizontal version and what's the timing like?

sorry if this is long, i don't have super to play with and felt like this video deserved more attention. keep up the awesome work
desk

Post by desk »

awesome, thanks for that onreload.
The CQC thing does about 75%, though, technically it's not a proper combo.

I think everything in the armour cancel clips was known but no one has really showcased it in super, so I made sure to use new characters or at least new ultras. Random but the music was actually written with those clips in mind, that's why everything syncs up like that. Oh yeah, if anyone wants an execution challenge, try to do that cancel with Gouken. The ultra is 2xQCF and the counter is a reverseDP. The counter has to be cancelled on frame 1, lol.

The input for the seth vs hawk combo is crazy. The first half of the ultra has to be done to the left (during the dash) and then finished off to the right after the cross up.

That crouch thing is exactly as smileymike says (I think, lol). Was trying out some random recordings and that happened. I'm assuming it's 1 frame on, 1 frame off but there's no way I can check. What's really odd is that, with that input, when the character is facing left, they never get to the actual crouch animation. They just stand there, almost static. Then if you jump over them, they turn around and start crouching like crazy. Then, if you jump back over to the left they just don't turn around. I think there might actually be some use for this if you needed to abuse a backward facing hitbox or something.

Here's the vid in case anyone is wondering what we're talking about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvhMIDW__8
onReload

Post by onReload »

Oh I know the armor bits aren't proper combos, that's why I enjoy using the "pseudo-" bit so much. I thought I was so cool after having the game for a few days, when I first set up 1 hit of Akuma's HP Shoryu then FADCd into Raging Demon on a focusing Abel.

Also, what's the deal with Project Dolphin? is it also with denzel or is it totally different people? It's pretty groovy, though not as bass heavy. Did you get to work on the lead parts?

edit: also is the name a reference to the gamecube?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I'm gonna see if I can do something witht hat crouch thing.

desk

Post by desk »

Yeah, go for it man. I'm not sure if I can think of anything interesting around it but I'll probably end up starting every single new combo I capture with a backward facing crouching dummy, lol. Just so the vid looks extra messed up.

@Onreload, that band isn't with denzel (although he did play with us in the live vids). He's too busy being a busy, in-demand drummer at the moment. ProjectDolphin is effectively a 2 piece for the time being, just bass and guitar. We're going to be doing loads of stuff though, mainly video game things for the next few weeks and then hopefully a full EP. The vids on you tube were massively under rehearsed, so I'm itching to get new things up asap.

We're hoping to follow in the footsteps of Casiopea/T-square and bring happy, inspirational, uncool fusion into the 21st century, lol.

Oh yeah, the name is because of the gamecube thing. Though it's not final yet.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Regarding the crouch thing, if you pause after you get behind them, then set the dummy to record, then hold an attack button when coming out of the menu, does it auto-correct and turn around or does the attack go the "wrong way"?

Also, that red Seth color scheme reminds me of dictator when he does his vacuum and is slowly changing from blue to red. Like, either his strong or his short color from ST.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha looks like everything's been said already, except Fei vs Gouken was nice. I tried that for a while and couldn't get it to work, but always at close range. I guess Gouken's active hitbox expands or something, so staying out of the initial zone did the trick.
desk

Post by desk »

Is it just standard now for everyone to steal youtube vids? So massively annoying, especially when I have no idea how to get stuff removed from half of these sites. The idea of having to put a youtube url on a cocking youtube video is soooo hideous that I don't even want to think about it. And none of those bitches are linking up to my band either! AARGH!!!!!

EDIT: Sick, that first one (almost 10'000 views strong and featuring no credit to me) is down now. It's a small victory!
error1

Post by error1 »

yes
game trailers you can use the Report Movie thing
Maj

Post by Maj »

That vidoemo website seems to be automatically downloading and reposting every video, so it's not even a specific user doing it.

A couple of those others are based in China, where they can't even access youtube so i'm not sure how to deal with those. You can have them removed, but they're not taking legit views away from you because those people wouldn't be able to view your video anyway.

Gametrailers is definitely annoying though. I just don't have the time to go around telling those idiots to stop uploading my videos. The worst part is, they probably think they're helping too. The internet is dumb as a rock these days.
desk

Post by desk »

You have to have an account there to do it, it's ridiculous. If you try without one, you just get redirected. I really have no interest in chasing all of these things up anyway, it's just very annoying. I think i'll be safe most of the time but if I make another stupid gimmick vid, I'ma have a bunch of urls on it. A high priority for me is actually posting links in the description though and that is immediately lost.

EDIT: I hear you maj. It's not really views I'm concerned with but the awesome tree of links that I can put up on my youtube page.

-You like the music? Buy the album here!-
-You enjoy watching SFIV? I made another awesome SF4 vid here-
-You really enjoy watching SF4? subscribe to my channel here!-

It's that mega useful immediacy of links as opposed to googling something and then quickly losing interest. Ergh! I can't do anything about it but I just had to moan a bit. Apologies.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, what you should do (what we all really should do) is start up a gametrailers account and possibly an alternate streaming account like vimeo.

I mean gametrailers is legit. Sometimes i see combovids on there with over 100k views. If you start posting your videos on there, it'll probably keep other people from copying that shit because they'll look really bad for doing it.

The reason i don't do it is because i want to consolidate all my subscribers to the "main" place, which happens to be u2b at the moment. But honestly that's a pretty dumb reason when you consider how little u2b cares about us.
desk

Post by desk »

Dude, I'm in. Didn't realise you could get a decent amount of views over there. When I've got a bit of time I might do exactly at. As long as you can put clickable links in the video descriptions.
Buttermaker

Post by Buttermaker »

Vimeo doesn't allow video games.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Damn, that sucks. Since when? I remember Magnetro put our GoW2 video on vimeo but i guess it did get taken down eventually - although it took a really long time, so i assumed he deleted it. That's too bad; their layout was nice and clean. Ah well, there's other good choices i'm sure.