General Sports Discussion

stay up to date on what's going on
Maj

Re: Hey Maj, let's talk about the World Cup

Post by Maj »

It's okay, he's talking about French Guile. Remy can go die in a fire.

Speaking of France, i wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back and did really well in 2014. They have a lot of amazing young players - Benzema, Gourcuff, etc.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

dang, italy's out. Hope all the good countries knock each other out so the USA can take it.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

Maj wrote:It's okay, he's talking about French Guile. Remy can go die in a fire.

Speaking of France, i wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back and did really well in 2014. They have a lot of amazing young players - Benzema, Gourcuff, etc.
Actually, I was talking about mexican player Guillermo Franco, who's been fucking up badly since the first game. :P

And Japan was ironing Denmark's suit 2 - 0 after i left the bar, not sure how was the final score but the game was also quite good.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Rufus wrote:
Dark_Chaotix wrote:Les Bleus dreadful end to WC. If i were Henry, evra or Maluda, Id be PISSED!
I'm pretty sure that Evra is pissed considering he got sent home for cussing out the coach. Gotta love that footage of Domenech refusing to shake hands too.
Um, Anelka was the one that got sent home not evra....

Plus Gourcuff and gignac didnt do well at all.....Even ribery was underpar.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Dark_Chaotix wrote: Um, Anelka was the one that got sent home not evra....

Plus Gourcuff and gignac didnt do well at all.....Even ribery was underpar.
My error. In my defense, at this point, they've all been sent home.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Dang, there's a lot of fun matches on the way. Brazil vs Chile will be fun. Brazil vs Netherlands will be fun. Brazil vs USA (hopefully) will be fun. Brazil vs Spain (hopefully) will be fun.

Argentina vs Mexico should be good and even Germany vs England might be good. Spain vs Portugal could either be awesome or depressing. And i have no clue what to think about Uruguay vs South Korea or Paraguay vs Japan. I'ma watch the US vs Ghana game of course. Hopefully it doesn't suck but it's been very encouraging so far.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Well maj, guess we should stop watching the world soccer cup now that USA lost.

Let's play CVS2 tomorrow.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well that sucked.

Second half was encouraging but the rest of the game was pretty disappointing. There were plenty of half-chances that we couldn't finish, but it's fitting that luck favored Ghana today. The only good thing to come out of this for the US was the last 10 minutes being frenzied and exciting, which hopefully leaves American viewers wanting to see more.

I do hope Ghana makes it to semis now. They have approximately zero chance of making it past Brazil or Netherlands though.

Magnetro wrote:Well maj, guess we should stop watching the world soccer cup now that USA lost.
Yeah i hope people don't adopt this attitude suddenly. There's plenty of great matches left to watch.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I get to watch Mexico play vs Argentina tomorrow. =/

Not looking promising. I hope Maradona loses his rosario.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

USA played well I thought, and that goes for them in the whole campaign. I do hope that this elevates the sport even more in US because its like an untapped resource in away. Luck of the draw really in terms of match ups. Who knows, Ghana prob beat some big names too since we have already seen heavy weights bowing out at group stage. Ghana seem to be hitting decent form at right time.

It would of been nice to see AUS play USA again and revenge for that awful friendly match where you guys won.

I was hoping Korea Republic would win but that first goal in 8 mins wasnt the best way to start. Already on the back foot....
Maj

Post by Maj »

Man, it felt a little like both losing teams got robbed today. That missed England goal totally changed the course of the game. It would've been a whole different match if that had evened the score. Same with the first goal that Argentina scored. From the highlights, it looked like Messi went for a shot on goal but Tevez got in the way. It's hard to tell whether the defenders would've stopped it if Tevez had stayed out of the way.

Still though, Germany vs Argentina should be fun to watch. Germany is ridiculously dangerous/efficient on counterattack. Argentina better finish their chances if they don't want to get scored on.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

The officiating in this thing is getting ridiculous. It seems every day there is some horrible made that ruins the game or severely changes the balance of it.

Apparently the head of the FIFA was at the england game today. Wonder what he thinks of all of it.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

You cant bring it down to that possible goal to be drawn to weight the whole outcome of the game. I think even if they did get it, germany was still the better team and prob would of still won it. England just had the wrong players on and took the wrong players to south africa. Another disappointing WC for them.

Im looking forward for the Argy and Germany game. Both are really good at attacking but both suffer from iffy defence, so theoretical it should be a high scoring game....But my luck goes with Argy.
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

*sigh* ladies and gents. Mexico has left the building... :(

not only we faced one of the most solid teams in this cup, but also faced referee incompetence and out coach kept experimenting with an uneasy and unconsistent line-up. He forfeited our experimented top players (like Cuauhtemoc Blanco or Torrado) for some diaper toddlers who play like this (El fucking Bofo!? that idiot doesn't do shit).

And as for the final "fuck-y'all', Aguirre put that loser of Franco in the end! Grrr....

Not happy with this.

Anyways, hope Argentina keep it up, I always loved and respected their awesome gameplay.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Well, at least Spain will play against Paraguay... Yeah Let´s rock!!! :twisted:
Portugal is the 3th best team of the world actually (FIFA ranking) ... Wow, I dont want to know how they should be played if they were the number 10 or 12...
During all the match, Portugal only wanted to defend (with a 5-4-1!) and waiting a spanish fail to make a counter attack... that is the tactic of a team that have a great players like C.Ronaldo, Simao, Tiago, Deco...
For me, Spain won because was the only team that played without fear, with ambition...

PD: OK, C.Ronaldo, continue with your sit-ups exercises... In your house! hehehehe :lol:
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's funny how Spain got one goal, then stopped attacking. I wonder if that's because they were playing it safe or if it was to make Portugal feel miserable, almost as a warning sign to other defensive teams. Like, "If you play defensive and we score in the 60th minute, we're going to make sure you don't enjoy the remaining 30!"
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Class act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd5tLyga5sI

Anyway, games start again tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to evo to watch the world cup games in vegas.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Some pretty funny quotes from throughout the World Cup so far: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1264552

Especially the "optimistic" Cantona quote.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Alright new plan. Instead of going to Evo or leaving my house today, i'm just gonna sit home and brood in silence for the next two weeks.

This sucks. The worst part isn't not seeing Brazil win. The worst part is not seeing Brazil play anymore.

Fuck!

Fuck.

Okay i'm over it. Now i hope the final is Netherlands vs Spain, so that no matter what happens someone wins their first cup trophy.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I'm really happy for Uruguay. Winning the way they did and everything. I was so salty when Ghana turtled out the USA a few weeks ago. THe worst part was when one dude tried a flip kick, was OK, then pretended he was hurt. They got dudes to lift him off the field, one of them dropped a water bottle and just kept fumbling...It was really bad.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Well, i'm kinda sad to see all of Africa eliminated, but avoiding that was the only reason i wanted to see Ghana through. It does suck knowing that the US could've realistically gotten through that bracket though.

Uruguay got farther than Brazil lol : (
onReload

Post by onReload »

LET'S GO IK BEN NEDERLANDSE

not really. but out of boredom i will pretend to care.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Unjust win to Uruaguay. I hope that Suarez get what he deserves but he only got a one game ban.....Load of crap. Uruguay should not be there....

I cant believe Argy got smashed, and they won convincingly too. Feel sorry for Messi but like ALL other high profile players, he didnt deliver and wont have a chance to now. Im all for the dutch to win it now, as I dont have faith in a lackluster Spain side that are under performing
Maj

Post by Maj »

I didn't even know they could issue a suspension like that after a game. Why don't they do it more often?

It's hard to tell what's going on with Spain right now. Maybe it's just Fernando Torres' injury, which isn't a huge issue because his backup Cesc Fabregas is another world-class player. Or maybe it's all the defensive teams they've had to go against. I mean, Spain probably would've had three or four goals if they played shaky defenses like Argentina.

The remaining games should all be good though.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

You mean, you didnt know that they could issue longer bans?? Yeah they can, like Cahill was going to get a 2 game ban for his tackle in the 1st game AUS had but it got brought down to 1. I cant see how they justify a 2 game ban on that if a match deciding / deliberate handball only got 1.

Anyways, Spain did ok but they are dominating how they should be and Torres coming off isnt a good sign as his form is struggling. Villa has taken his spot light as he has scored most their goals. Plus fabregaas isnt a direct sub for torres as he plays centre mid. I couldnt really see who moved where when he came on.

And those pens were awful. The ref makes Spain take theirs again cos of encroachment but Paraguay pen had the same issue which wasnt addressed. And you can tell Spain had wonky defence just by that goal that was disallowed. I think he actually was onside if i remember correctly but they were lucky.

Even Germany defence is alittle iffy during the WC, but did the best job i think last nite against arg even tho arg had many shots, just couldnt convert. When Germany attacked their defence was ball watching and flat footed.

looks like it going to be another all european final
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Go Spain Go !!!
Its the first time that Spain will play the final world cup match... And I hope that will be the first world cup for us.
Holland is a great team (Robben scares me...) but I think that Spain can win, we have a real possibilities against the "clockwork orange".
Finally, the Spanish coach put Pedro, another great player from FC Barcelona, and, for me, Spain have played their best world cup match (with Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta, Piqué, Puyol, Villa and Busquets, you can say more than half Barcelona will win the world cup)

BARÇA RULES!!! :twisted:
Maj

Post by Maj »

Haha congratulations on making the final sir. I'm pretty happy for Puyol scoring the game-winning goal. I'd never seen Perdo before but his ball control was amazing. Too bad he screwed up at the end when Torres was wide open.

At this point i don't know who to support. I like both teams. I just hope we see a good game and that the best side wins.
Tigre III

Post by Tigre III »

Maj wrote: Too bad he screwed up at the end when Torres was wide open.
Hell yeah, All the people in the Bar were shouted:
- pass! pass!! pass!!! PASSSSSSSS!!!! WTF Pedro!!!!!!

Poor Pedro, he was about to cry after he saw that Torres was totally alone...
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

Finally Spain turn up and want to play to win. This has been the game where the look like winners and doing it against Germany is convincing. There was no need to win like 4-0 like the germans did but what made them get there win was that the played like they should have been. Possession was like 65% to germany 35% which is huge, and without the ball the german team count get into their groove. That what has been all the other teams down fall, the let germany have it but doing that is pretty much kicking themselves in the foot.

If spain play and hold possession like that, the should come out victors. But against a similar side with dangerman like Robben, sneider etc just cant let anything slip. I would like netherland to win it but its hard for me to turn a blind eye to spain great game form against germany. Just have to wait and see.

Oh and for 3rd place....German! Beat the shit out of Uruguay the scum!