Everything YouTube

question anything pertaining to the craft
Xenozip.

Re: Everything YouTube

Post by Xenozip. »

Thanks u2be http://bit.ly/aIeJ3u
-_-

I can't tell what the hell IS blocked.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
onReload

Post by onReload »

lol @ vagpov
Maj

Post by Maj »

Did someone mention that you could disallow embedding on certain websites? Because i was totally ready to do that for my SF4 vids starting today but there's no way to pick and choose specific targets. There's only a blanket yes/no option and obviously i don't want that because then i couldn't embed it on my own website. Checked u2b help forums and there's no workaround. Was it always like this?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

As far as when I joined in 2006 it was like that. What to do about it, well I don't really know.

I wonder if you can be ghetto about it, like upload the video twice: The public video can not be embedded, and the private video with special-url can be embedded, then you hide the url either with some html or java script (or like put the url in a flash video that you keep on your site, so it plays off youtube but the original embed directs to your site).

Duct tape and bubble gum.
Maj

Post by Maj »

With my luck with u2b, by the time i managed to get that working, they'd implement the option themselves. Anyway it's too much work.

So this ShamanMorphh guy posted "LNBNK," on my channel. Uh, is that spam?

Also u2b has some dumb deal going where you can order u2b business cards. Just thought it was funny.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well, actually I tested it and it doesn't work for me. I can't figure out how to embed a private video. You can link it but not embed it. So, moot point.
Battousai

Post by Battousai »

You can embed unlisted but not private. If they find out the unlisted URL though, then others can embed it too :/
error1

Post by error1 »

yah all you need to do is click on it and it will send you to the u2b page
Maj

Post by Maj »

Is it just me or has their video quality degraded dramatically? I don't remember all these compression artifacts all over the place.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

If you include my random video in that statement it was because of the codec I used, not youtube. The raw video looks like that, too.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah even looking at my old videos, it seems like they've re-encoded them with keyframes wider apart. Backgrounds get progressively blurrier for 2 seconds, then suddenly clear up, over and over. HD videos used to look great even at 360p but now they suck at lower settings.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I will never use Mega Man music in my videos again. I just got this comment:

"once i heard the old megaman x music, i didn't even care about the video, im just watchin it for the music. MEGAMAN X BABY!"
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

ill admit, i agree with him because im not into sf4 like you guys and hearing you music keep me listening to it....
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know what the hell happened to u2b's video response gateway but it's almost completely useless now. Remxi's SFB leftovers has 109 views despite being listed as the most recent SFB response for the last 60k views on that video. Either they're all embed views, or nobody bothers clicking on responses anymore, or both.
error1

Post by error1 »

not a surprise, and something we predicted when they changed it. My leftover video for example has been a response longer then any of the other ones and u2b says I've only got 101 referrals from it and that has a picture of sf4 Chun kicking Sagat in the balls. 82% of all my current views coming from the fact that eventhubs likes me now. I mean even before they changed it the referral rate was something like 10%. Soesn't surprise me that making it smaller and putting it a page down, instead of directly under the video lowers it to 1 or 2%.
It will probably double in views with the link on the main page, I think they are slow to update that stuff on videos with a low viewcount.

btw what do you think of the
As Seen On: kotaku.com
or
As Seen On: eventhubs.com
Kinds of makes me seem affiliated with eventhubs.com and I don't think I like it
Maj

Post by Maj »

Personally i hate it, but i think it only appears when one website outranks the others by a large margin. SRK and eventhubs are about even in terms of draw, so if you get linked on both then neither should show up. I guess kotaku outranks both of them though.

Anyway i remember people were complaining on u2b help forums when the feature was first announced, and some of the mods said they'd consider adding an opt-out. Hopefully they implement that soon because it would annoy the hell out of me to be stuck with certain references.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well, I just uploaded a hitbox video for Rose. Now let's see if youtube deletes my account or not.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Dunno if this has been posted yet...

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/

Youtube now allows 15 min videos instead of 10.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Gah, what's up with youtube? You post a match video and within a day there's two pleople telling you you suck.

Maj

Post by Maj »

There's no winning that game.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

God I hate scrubs sometimes:

On my double Ultra with Dhalsim:

Jedda678: only possible in practice mode :3
DaDoppen: No.
Jedda678: Saw the instant refill, no attack in all of SF has that kind of ability to cause your ultra to fill up except possibly another ultra combo connecting.
DaDoppen: ... yes it does, Balrogs highly charged TAP. Don't say anything if you don't know anything. Just look at dhalsims HP.
Jedda678: Dude I know quite a bit, and yes I looked at the health and I never have seen a charged TAP do that much damage to anyone. Seems modded or tampered with, in any case dude it's still impossible, and even if it was, impractical. Good day :3
DaDoppen: Try holding it for a minute, then release. and the fact that you didn't know this, proves how much you know. It's impractical, but that's beside the point, it's completely possible.

Eagerly awaiting response...

Maj

Post by Maj »

Dude, you're making a rookie mistake. Don't be so confrontational. No one likes losing arguments, and people on the internet are even worse. They don't know how to lose an argument and walk away.

You gotta be nicer to these people if you want them to be on your side or even just to leave you alone. Otherwise they're going to stick around and hold a grudge. Either don't answer the question or answer it in a way that makes them say "Oh that's pretty cool, i didn't know that."

If it was me, i would've said "Then how come Dhalsim's ultra meter doesn't refill at the end of the clip?" Much better than "No."

I mean i'm not gonna lie, lately every time someone asks what game is shown in one of my videos, i have an intense urge to write "Mugen." But that's when i know to leave it alone and let someone else answer.

Remember, u2b comments only matter until they scroll off the front page.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Yeah, I know, but there's nothing I hate more than people who makes stupid statements like that. Especially when they add a silly smiley like ":3". The fact that I've been quite busy the last couple of weeks doesn't make it any better. I also can't leave people alone when they are incorrect without correcting them. Smart-ass syndrome lol.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Blanka/Honda video says it got 16,155 views from "YouTube - Homepage."

Wtf does that mean?? Even if that counts all subscribers clicking in from the front page, that's still only a fraction of that number. As far as i can, it hasn't been featured under any relevant search. Umm ... wtf?
error1

Post by error1 »

that doesn't include subscribers, as that has it's own category.
It might have been here, you'll have to check the day after you do you're next one
I don't think you would get that much from the Recommended for You
Maj

Post by Maj »

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but you generally can't copy/paste a u2b comment. It doesn't accept it.

Try copy/pasting a long u2b comment into Notepad and saving it. You'll get a warning message saying that the text "contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file."

That's because u2b randomly puts an invisible character after a random word, before a space. The location seems to be chosen randomly. Even seems to rerandomize every time you refresh the page.

You can find it by scrolling through the text in Notepad using the Left/Right arrow keys. Look for a space which you have to scroll past twice. Like you'll hit the Right arrow and the cursor won't move. There's usually one per comment. If you delete this invisible character, then you can save it as an ANSI file and of course you can copy/paste the rest into a u2b comment.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

noticed this as well. I guess it's so that you can't copy paste a comment and spam multiple videos... problem is, that's easy to do anyways.

error1

Post by error1 »

looks like they changed there revenue sharing submission with this new overhaul. Now you get a chance to explain why your video doesn't break any copyrights
Maj

Post by Maj »

So over the last few days, 538's u2b channel numbers have been:

Channel Views: 1,559
Total Upload Views: 19,934
Subscribers: 76

He already had ~35 subscribers before everyone started linking to his 3S Yang combovid which means he only got ~40 subscribers out of it. That really caught me by surprise. Let's look at the pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Street Fighter and Tekken combos
2) Really good ones
3) New content possibly on the way (possibly uncirculated like his T2 vids)
4) Online next-gen 3S relaunch annonuced recently
5) It's KYSG!!!

Cons:
1) It's not SF4
2) People suck

Now the question is, it's KYSG!!! Do people really suck that bad??? 76 out of 1559? How did this happen? Yes, people are picky. Yes, people are lazy. Yes, people are shotsighted. I get all that. But for someone of his stature to have this problem, it's kind of shocking.
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

I suspect that when you put your stuff on youtube or hype it in some other way, it doesn't really increase the viewership that counts. If you make a good name for yourself, the people who have a clue and give a damn will find it one way or another. Then you just have to accept that the number of such people is small. In other words, 76 may be saturation.