Random Cool Stuff 2010

stay up to date on what's going on
Don Vecta

Re: Yo check this out yo

Post by Don Vecta »

onReload wrote:So, like a lot of people, I'm a bit interested in KoF (and most fighting games to boot), but so many times I find myself trying to remember which game is which, when seen in a combo or exhibition video. So, I put together this little collage; sizes don't always match so it's not pretty and there's always a lot going on at the top of arcade games (score and "press start" etc), but you get the idea.

I didn't put what year is which yet, I'm thinking of just stamping the year over the countdown since that number is probably confusing enough, but as this is incomplete with the absence of KOF XI and XII (soon, XIII), it might as well stay that way...and I assume you can all count from '94 to '03 ;)

Missing NeoWave, 98UM and 2002UM as well (even tho are remakes of 2002 and 98, they pretty much have their own mechanics and new values and stuff). :P

Is there any help you might need for the KOF project? If so, I can help out out there. :)
onReload

Post by onReload »

Well, this is pretty much what it is...but yeah if you can get screenshots of the games I'm missing, that would complete it, pretty much. I also can't get cheat.dat to work on my mameplus anymore, i have no idea why, so I can't set the timer to higher numbers (to indicate what year each game is)
error1

Post by error1 »

use fba it's easy
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

About the non working cheat file. When something like that happens I try "reinstalling" (extract everything to new, different folder). That fixes it if I accidentally screwed up a setting somewhere.
onReload

Post by onReload »

interesting, i'll give that a shot.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

MMDS does SRK after getting a snapback on me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ccULUBxVsw#t=5m53s
onReload

Post by onReload »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_nQpOQczM

maj, i think they have you beat here.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I'd think that riddle would apply more to MeltyBlood.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

I wouldn't know. Ive never seen it.
Maj

Post by Maj »

onReload wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_nQpOQczM

maj, i think they have you beat here.
Yeah i saw that on SRK and the Capcom blog. Weird that it's getting publicity now considering it's like two years old. I'm pretty sure it's been posted and discussed here at some point. But whatever, can't hate on anything that helps Guile's steady rise to cultural icon, haha.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

error1

Post by error1 »

I like his use of themes in every round but Tizoc doesn't have nearly as much crazy stuff as grant

bang is the only good think about blazblu imo
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

bang needs to be deleted from history and erased from existence imo

Least stealthy ninja ever.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

what am i meant to be look at in BB?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Well at about 30 seconds the pajama ninja gets a combo off that gives him 4 of those seals. That lets him activate that power-up mode, and cues the obnoxious theme song. There's so many things wrong with this (IMO) it's not even funny. When he activates that super-mode it's really like switching to a boss-character from a normal character in any other game. And I didn't know he could just combo all 4 seals off anything, and activate it without getting punished for activating it point blank.

I don't know if he can only do that against that character or not, she really is the worst character in that version of the game, but still. He's already one of the two best characters in that version of the game, he does not need that power-up mode or an easy way to combo and activate into it like that.

But maybe I'm just bias because I hate the fucker, I don't know, but don't get me started on why I hate him because that would be like an essay that everyone else on the planet disagrees with.
error1

Post by error1 »

He can do that four counter combo vs everyone I think but I think it's a corner only combo. And it does much less damage compared to other characters who can do like 50% damage off a opening like that.
Bang is a high mobility, high defense, low damage character. But when he gets his activation it plays his super awesome ninja theme song and he gains insane amounts of mobility and better combos.
a common bang tactic is to run up to the opponent and activate, if you see them throwing out an attack during the super freeze you get a free combo.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Not everyone does 50% damage off anything, that much I do know. Arakune definitely can do stupid amounts of damage, over half your life, but that's only when he has a curse on you. Tsubaki and Jin's damage are pretty tame. Ragna can get good damage, but not from the start of a match. Hazama's is definitely crap without meter. Rachel's is basically pathetic no matter what. Tager's combos don't exceed 3k unless under special circumstance (magnetism, or CH, or he was backed into a corner) in which case they only do 4k which is about average and less than half life and also less than his cmd throw alone. Using that as a bar for damage, most characters get around 4-5k at best while Arakune is the only one I've seen exceeding that off random-anything without meter. All in all, tl;dr, it takes about 3-4 combos to kill a person (or 3 tager busters) on average with Arakune being the exception.

You can't defend a character by claiming low damage output when they are indisputably top tier, anyway. That's like defending ST-Claw just because he can't kill you in two solid hits.

But I digress, the point is he landed it off a crossup (albeit in the corner) and as soon as he got that fourth seal I'd have to wonder if there was a point in the other player doing anything on the other end at all, because it was over. Plus I hate that character design. A lot.
Dark_Chaotix

Post by Dark_Chaotix »

I thought that music was put in the vid via editing. Mannnn that is so annoying and they dont shut up. It no wonder i dont like this game
onReload

Post by onReload »

Yeah, when BB:CT came out, I was OK with Bang...when it hit consoles and they added the stupid theme song (I think that's when, right?), everyone I know who played the game loved it...eugh.

Personally, I like the ArkSys team's use of story and cut scenes in the GG/BB franchise but I think they need to trim their voice samples for vs. mode. I've started calling both series "talking fighters" because nobody on the rosters seems to shut up when played properly. KoF has messed this up a few times, like having Athena's "Psycho Ball!" voice sample run so long that if you spam the move, she overlaps herself O_o

It's not like sound makes or breaks a game for me, but it can help tilt the scale just a little bit further. I mean I like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, it's a great game, but...Baby Mario should just shut the fuck up, I'LL BE THERE DAMMIT, THERE'S A SHY GUY UP MY ASS

/end randomly woken up rant
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

One of the things I like Tekken3 & TTT is no one ever says anything. Not even when they win. Just grunts and stuff. None of that fanboy jerkoff material.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

That's one of the things I love about IaMP (and SWR is like that too), the characters have no voices at all, not even grunts. It's amazingly refreshing. I guess it doesn't draw people in -- I'll admit I've been drawn into games before because of a character's voice samples or other aesthetics -- but in the long run, after years of playing the game, it's so nice to have mute characters where you can't get sick of them (because there's nothing to get sick of). Every game should let you mute the BGM and the characters as an option in the arcade dipswitches or console options mode.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

This is awesome: Scroll Glitch

Who needs corners when you can make one.
Maj

Post by Maj »

What the fuck?? That's major! I guarantee that makes a new "midscreen" combo possible simply because stage scrolling will reduce knockback.
onReload

Post by onReload »

but it looked like it was only active as long as she kept kara throwing?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Doesn't matter. Scrolling isn't instant so the edge of the screen will hug the falling player and keep them from being knocked back as far as they normally would've. Minor difference in the grand scheme of things but a big one at such a late stage.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I guess I still really don't get it. It seems as though once Chun stops kara throwing (or moving forward without using the joystick), the screen is no longer locked...what's an example of something that was impossible that is now...possible?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Have her mash kara throw until Ryu is "cornered" and then have Ryu jump straight up as she slips under him, then have Ryu do s.HP xx EX stepkick and she'll hit the edge of the screen before it has a chance to scroll all the way back to where it normally would've been. What does that give you? Nothing, but it's different.

If you use LK stepkick instead of EX stepkick, Chun won't fall back as far as she was supposed to because she's certainly not going to slip through the edge of the screen. (If that was going to happen, then Ryu would be able to walk/jump off the locked screen.) So the screen scrolling limit will factor into knockback speed. So i don't know, maybe Ryu can do something else after LK stepkick. Wish i could give you an actual working example, but i don't really have the juggle system of SF3 memorized.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Then again maybe i'm wrong about all this and it doesn't have the effect on 3S that it would've had on CvS2, etc. I'll go post the link on kysg's and rKf's websites and see if anything comes out of it.

edit: Speaking of whom, looks like that guy wrote more stuff about me that i can't read.

re-edit: I gotta say, the future is running mad late. How are we supposed to communicate with aliens in real time if we can't even line up two languages we've had access to for over a thousand years?
onReload

Post by onReload »

first part is that, for awhile now someone (might be himself, actually) has harassed him to come up with a proper term for コマコン動画, and that since you have started calling it "TACV," he will assist you in establishing the term, and then i guess goes on to do so by explaining the root of the acronym, how "speed clear" movies started it, and these combo videos are also the same type of thing...i get fuzzy later on but i think he says that before you and others got wind of TASing, tool assistance and combos were further apart...and i think he says that other ways people tried to refer to it were nonsense/ridiculous and that TACV gives you a clear image/meaning.

about to get a japanese headache so, at the bottom he writes "my pitiful works are done with a hori command stick" then i can't quite understand the rest, i'm not sure what he's talking about...atoning for the crimes of using the stick, or not using the stick anymore or something.

also, コマコン動画 "komakon/comacom movie" is used a few times. if you look at the second way i romanized it, with c's, it's more obvious; command combo movies, meaning programmable controllers. perhaps this will lead us to japanese tacvs? though the nicodouga search link he leaves doesn't give many results...and they're not specifically fighting games, so maybe that's part of his problem with it.