SSF4 Week-One Combos

video previews, releases, and feedback
Rufus

Re: SSF4 Week-One Combos

Post by Rufus »

Smileymike101 wrote:...
Edit: Just wanted to ask you guys if you didn't notice that some (tried just Dudley and Ibuki) of the new chars, potentially all, have VERY weak hitstun from jumpins compared to rest of the cast.I mean with ryu, after a jumpin, you can easily combo his 12 frames metsu, but with dudley, after a non deep jumping HP, cr.hp doesn't combo.WTF?If it's deep, you'll be to far for the st.hk after the cr.hp, and if it's not super deep, it wouln't come out.Do their jumping hard attacks cause like less hitstun than like other character's jumping MEDIUMS or something?
I was slowly working my way through challenge mode with a programmable stick, and find myself thinking that SSFIV has some kind of buffering mechanic for jump in -> ground attack. Unintuitively, some combos even end up being easier with earlier (i.e. shallow) jump-ins. That mechanic may be weaker or different for the new characters. (I don't have any experience with SFIV to draw on for comparison.)
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Rufus wrote:I was slowly working my way through challenge mode with a programmable stick, and find myself thinking that SSFIV has some kind of buffering mechanic for jump in -> ground attack.
I could have told you that. That shit ruins my timing for Ken's target combo in that one trial (in SFIV). But, why do you use a programmable controller? I can understand it for some stuff like El fuerte and Ibuki 24, but the other ones? Unless you're testing it out ofc.
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaDoppen
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Doopliss wrote:
Rufus wrote:I was slowly working my way through challenge mode with a programmable stick, and find myself thinking that SSFIV has some kind of buffering mechanic for jump in -> ground attack.
I could have told you that. That shit ruins my timing for Ken's target combo in that one trial (in SFIV). But, why do you use a programmable controller? I can understand it for some stuff like El fuerte and Ibuki 24, but the other ones? Unless you're testing it out ofc.

Seems a bit cheap going through trials with a programmable controller, stick is fair enough, but hell i just finished it yesterday with a pad. I mean there's no real reason to do trials with a programmable controller, only reasons to do it is for satisfaction or the Trophy.

tbh it's just cheating to gain a trophy you didn't earn. (imo)

That said, i found an easier way to do Vipers 23rd trial on pad, j.HK -> Cl.LK -> Cl.LP -> CR.MP -> HJ.Ultra

Not as easy as Cr.HP Ultra, but a bit easier than LP
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Pokey86 wrote:That said, i found an easier way to do Vipers 23rd trial on pad, j.HK -> Cl.LK -> Cl.LP -> CR.MP -> HJ.Ultra
I did the same thing, because I was so used to doing it with c.LP, like it is in vanilla.

Maj

Post by Maj »

Regarding that Dee Jay combo, 68 hits was an accident. I think it can be better, but i'd have to revise the whole structure of the combo. Cody probably isn't the best dummy for this like i originally thought. I went through a few revisions but ran out of time. If the 67/68 thing hadn't come up, i probably wouldn't have released this version but i thought a few people here might get a laugh out of it.

It's hard to tell who's really good for this, but Gouken, Dan, Cody, Fuerte, and Dudley stand out. These are the characters that he can get multiple close s.LK reps against. Dudley seems special at the moment. I was able to land j.HK, s.LK xx FB, s.LP, s.LK xx FB, s.LP xx FB, far s.LP xx FB but that last fireball didn't combo. Dudley is the only character whose hitstun animation doesn't dodge far s.LP at that range. However since far s.LP is useless, i don't know if Dudley's still the best candidate.

According to the frame data, Dee Jay should be able to link far s.LP into far s.LK or c.LK but whenever i do that, he can't seem to cancel into anything. It's very strange. It's almost like he has a phantom recovery frame that turns it into a non-cancelable chain. I know i'm timing it right because i can press any other button on that frame too. Delaying it by one frame causes the link to uncombo (and to become cancelable). So i don't know what to say, but far s.LP, far s.LK xx blah seems glitched.

edit: Don't mention this anywhere else 'cause i haven't tested it enough. Maybe it's all in my head.
error1

Post by error1 »

Maj wrote: According to the frame data, Dee Jay should be able to link far s.LP into far s.LK or c.LK
not according to the frame data on srk unless it's a meaty far lp. But you should be able to link close lp to far lk. Yah It seems you can cancel from chained close light attacks for some reason, never thought it would be useful in a combo.
A guile who can cancel kicks, a shame no walk forward kick, sonic boom. Is crouching chun still a good dummy for this kind of thing.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay, now it makes sense. What i said about link timing - i suppose we can write it off as ppad sync error since i didn't have time to test it exhaustively.

I don't remember where i read that Dee Jay should be able to link s.LK after far s.LP but i guess it's not a huge loss. The only benefit would've been combing into super easily, which is kinda tricky because his super requires 5 frames longer charge time and has more inputs to execute.

Dee Jay can definitely link close s.LP to far s.LK, but you don't want that. The only possible benefit would be pushing far enough away to give s.LP, far s.LK xx LP FB enough travel time to allow slower links. But i tried that and it's useless because you can't do anything with c.LK at max range. Spinkicks don't combo, EX machinegun either misses a bunch of hits or doesn't connect at all, and upkicks end combos too.

Also i don't know what's up with his regular machinegun but nothing combos after it even though stuff clearly comes out in time.

Dee Jay's coolest gimmicky combos are corner blah xx EX machinegun, EX fireball, nothingelseworks and midscreen blah xx EX FB, EX spinkick.
desk

Post by desk »

Maj wrote:Regarding that Dee Jay combo, 68 hits was an accident.
I laughed but it hurt me, haha. Anything over 70 would have been fine but 1 more hit? I took that personally :lol: . Just because I know you could probably get a bunch more with a little more time.

Had a few mins in training mode after watching that to see if I could muster up a 69-hit but all those links are no fun.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Desk, do you play on stick?If so, can you do FK fadc U2 with Guile?
desk

Post by desk »

Yeah, but if you're doing the most economic motion, it's really no more difficult than any charge>dash>ultra. If it's not already, it'll be his B+B for U2.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

It may not be hard for you, thing is I'm on pad :P
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

I don't see the problem. The only thing difficult on a pad is buffering mash moves.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Doopliss wrote:I don't see the problem. The only thing difficult on a pad is buffering mash moves.

lol, you really think dash -> Ultras are as easy on pad as they are on Stick?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Not easy, but possible. But yes, since I never touched a stick in my life XD

desk

Post by desk »

haha, cool. I guess I just mean it's comparable to any other dash ultra as long as you get used to doing the fk to up-back and holding FA slightly longer than usual. You guys must have hardcore thumbs, lol. I can't even play stuff on psp or ds without my thumb hurting after a while.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

After two days of non-stop SFing with a pad, your thumb gets really hardened :P before that it hurts like hell though.

desk

Post by desk »

I don't want to completely destory maj's thread but just to reply. I used to play on pad in the saturn days (with alpha 2) and my thumb was solid as a rock, lol. Moved to a stick many years ago though and I guess my thumb turned into a bit of wimp during that time :lol:

On topic, I tried for a little bit to link stuff after sonic booms with deejay but never tried st. jab because I was too stupid and obsessed with a particular crouching combo.
Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

Well I can't feel shit with my left fingers so it's all cool.Guitar ruined 4 of my fingers, and SF4 ruined my thumb.They're so hard it's like a crust lol.
Maj

Post by Maj »

It's okay, i don't mind at all. This thread basically exists for Off-Topic Discussion Vaguely Related To SSF4 Week-One Combos.

I'll get over 70 with Dee Jay for sure, either today or in the next episode. Btw did you guys know that Dudley can cancel command dash into super? So he can still do stuff like far s.MP xx command dash xx super. I don't remember seeing that in a video yet.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

If you manage to stun Seth somehow, you can probably use that.

Smileymike101

Post by Smileymike101 »

I wonder if there's a way to combo into counter ultras, or Cross Counter.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah i want to do it without dizzy. Should be possible using desk's Dudley setup. Though i can probably get away with using EX machinegun in the beginning and rebuilding that bar along the way.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Smileymike101 wrote:I wonder if there's a way to combo into counter ultras, or Cross Counter.
they aren't triggered by projectiles, so probably not.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Counter ultras are awful, in application & in combos.

They should have at least gave them duel properties, like Hold button for counter pose, release/press button to initiate half Ultra combo. That would have at least gave them a bit of scare potential.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Man, this is funny. Apparently Dee Jay's maximum machinegun hitcount is triggered by two button presses. You just charge D, U+P, wait, P. His EX machinegun is maxed out with two quicker (easier) presses: charge D, U+PPP, P.

How many of you guys were mashing the hell out of that thing? Joke's on us, i guess.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj wrote:Man, this is funny. Apparently Dee Jay's maximum machinegun hitcount is triggered by two button presses. You just charge D, U+P, wait, P. His EX machinegun is maxed out with two quicker (easier) presses: charge D, U+PPP, P.

How many of you guys were mashing the hell out of that thing? Joke's on us, i guess.
isn't EX MGU three moves? I think you get 80% scaling on the final hits.

Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Maj wrote:Man, this is funny. Apparently Dee Jay's maximum machinegun hitcount is triggered by two button presses. You just charge D, U+P, wait, P. His EX machinegun is maxed out with two quicker (easier) presses: charge D, U+PPP, P.

Did they state they were going to make the MG-upper easier to perform?
Maj

Post by Maj »

Only regular MGU goes down to 80% at the end, but it still only requires two button presses. Maybe negative edge counts?
onReload

Post by onReload »

They were initially going to make it a mash-move where you just spam punch, but that would be too different I guess...and they took out mashable throws and other moves (mostly), so i guess it's just input...input.

Also, that was one of the first things I wanted to test with Dudley, was Ducking xx Super...It's possible in SF3 but I think it requires reversal timing.
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

Maj wrote:Only regular MGU goes down to 80% at the end, but it still only requires two button presses. Maybe negative edge counts?
Ok. No idea.