Fighting Game AI

talk about how great training mode is
error1

Fighting Game AI

Post by error1 »

Xenozip.

Re: SF4 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah you can make a whole series of those. Abel can empty jump cmd grab loop the entire cast for perfects except Honda who he can doubledash cmd grab for perfect. Rose can LP-Spark Guile, Honda, and Blanka for perfects and MP-Spark into Soul Throw everyone else for perfects. Zangief can just mash lariat. etc etc etc

At least it occasionally blocks on wakeup unlike some games. But like pretty much every 2D ai you just find one thing it doesn't know how to deal with and it's gg.

The only actually good AI that I can even think of was ST's. That's about it.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
error1

Re: SF4 Combo Engine Investigation

Post by error1 »

a few other ones
Blanka does consent focus attacks so just spam armor breakers to beat him
Stand one body length from Seth and block, wait for him to do his turn kicks and punish
anyone with an anti-air just use on reaction vs Rufas
Stand one body length from Abel and throw his rolls on reaction
Vs Zangief stand just outside green hand range and sweep him, or when he doesn't have meter just lv.3 focus from full screen and it's sure to hit him
Balrog always dies to Blanka's rolling attack or anything that beats a turn punch
Maj

Re: Fighting Game AI

Post by Maj »

Well, part of it is because AI can be nearly impossible to beat in a reaction-based game. SFA3 Akuma had this really fucked up bully tactic he would pull sometimes, where he'd tick you with c.LK and then walk forward. If you do nothing, you get thrown. If you do anything, you get uppercutted.

It was the scariest thing ever. Basically your only options are to reversal his throw attempt in the two-frame window after he initiates his throw before it connects. Or to press a button to bait his DP then kara-cancel into super, and not even every character has a super that beats Shoto DP.

The fact of the matter is if you limit the CPU to "human reaction time" then it's almost impossible to code competitive AI. Even coding chess took forever plus tons of resources, and that's a slow turn-based strategy game; not to mention there's waaay more written about chess strategy than SF strategy.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah I was kind of amused when shin akuma or whateverthefuck bossmode akuma was doing that in CvS2. I was like, oh hey they carried over some of his old AI. Course in that game you have backdash and such so it's not as scary.

Also, another random amusing thing I noticed about the A3 and CvS2 AI (and 3S AI I think) was that it dies horrifically to scrub tactics like [jump-in bnb with knockdown]xN, however if you softban yourself from jumping with the excepting of jumping out of obvious throw/superthrow then the AI behaves quite a lot differently. At one point I was on a quest to discover if it had any other "softban this and it acts like this", but sadly most of the time you can pulverize it anyway, just blocking beats it almost always.

Also I dunno if you noticed but that Akuma tick pattern is like staple in top level SF4 play with like ever char. I mean yeah it gets used in every game, but in SF4 it's just wow. Pretty much every tournament finals I've seen anywhere someone is guaranteed to be using c.lp c.lp walk right up to your face then c.lp, or if they have meter then walk right up to your face DPFADC. And they don't just pull it once, it's like their whole game revolves around it. They'll only start going for throws if you manage to block it after 3 or 4 consecutive times. Azrael over on SRK make me realize that SF4 was teaching SF and GG players what Staggers were, and I was like "Oh hi, welcome to Melty Blood".
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
onReload

Post by onReload »

I hate reaction-based AI, but yeah when I can perfect every character on Hardest difficulty in SF4 with Zangief (know where to lariat and the few times when not to)...hm.

...but then you go play some asshole final boss who instantly counters cr. mk before it's even animated and it's like what
Don Vecta

Post by Don Vecta »

heh... pre-96 SNK Fighting games AI will make you cringe, cry and grind your teeth of frustration. As a sample, try Saishu Kusanagi in 95 in even a normal difficulty. You'll see what pain it's like.
error1

Post by error1 »

As hard as the early kof games can be, I think Mr. karate in the first aof is the worst
Mienaikage

Post by Mienaikage »

In SSFIV Abel uses falling sky the instant you leave the ground

And if you throw fireballs at Dhalsim, he'll jump in, and the very instant you go for the anti air he'll teleport ;_;