DVD Authoring Q&A

question anything pertaining to the craft
Maj

DVD Authoring Q&A

Post by Maj »

Now how badly is this gonna backfire? Man i don't even know the first thing about making DVDs. Can you even do 59.94fps on a DVD?

When it says 120min on the disc, is that referring to a specific encoding format? It's gotta be a specific bitrate but i can't even find what that's supposed to be. If i use a lower bitrate, can i go over 120 minutes?
Pokey86

Re: DVD Authoring Q&A

Post by Pokey86 »

You can exceed 120 mins on a DVD thats a basemark for highest quality as far as i'm aware. That said getting everything you've done on a DVD... how much footage do you have? I have some small experience in making DVD's i made a small compilation of DMC combos which, in the end never got released. IT had customized menus & about 20 combo videos ranging from 3 mins to 16 mins. but i don't recall exceeding the limit.

That said myknowledge is generally quite limited, but if i can help i'd do what i could :P i would presume that as DVD's for combo videos are a bit more common in SF there'd be people with more experience than me.

Alot of DVD authering software offers it's own compression tools, (Nero has adjust to DVD for example) but you can use outside software like DVD Shrink etc... Though i'd imagine you're aware that compressing videos will have a bad effect on quality. Sometimes it's negligible, but just because a video already looks bad/fuzzy doesn't mean it won't look worse after compression.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Hm

DVD bitrate can be from 2mb/s to 8.5mb/s IIRC.

If you're going to include your old stuff, you're going to have to upscale it to 720x480 and use a medium bitrate.

Now everything has to be in MPEG2 so that it can work, meaning you have to re-encode everything you have again. Ideally, you want everything to be 29.97i so that when it plays on TV it'll be "progressive" looking. HOwever, you can also use what the Joo DVD uses, which is 30FPS and that's progressive. You can try to make a dual layer dvd like the one we did, but those are huge and you have to have a special burner that supports dual layer burning. But yeah, again, 29.97i should play smooth on a TV and 30fps progressive will not be as smooth. In order to figure out which bitrate to use, just mess around and then you'll get a good combination for how much you can get away with in terms of quality and content. You can include a BUNCH of content on a regular 4.7 GB dvd, you just have to encode them at a reasonable bitrate. Old footage that is already blocky can be encoded with a low bitrate and it'll look the same as it looks on your pc when you play it on a DVD. the new footage from SF4 can be encoded in a higher bitrate since it's gonna be in 720x480 already.

So the process is gonna look something like:

Gather all your stuff > Put them through TMPEG or something that encodes for DVDs > Build a DVD menu > Make a beta disc with your old and new footage (use this to see how the difference in bitrates and whatnot) > repeat till you get the final version of the disc.

So some recommendations for programs:

premiere (can do editing & encode for video in quality for DVD)

tmpeg dvd author

tmpeg encoder (useful for encoding stuff and it's less clunky than premiere)

If you have other questions, please ask
Maj

Post by Maj »

Cool, thanks. I have about 45+ minutes of old footage (not counting Evo Guile or Evo Ryu), plus the SF4 stuff i've been doing, which comes out to about 40 minutes if you figure an average of 1:30 per character for 25 characters. I also have a bunch random small stuff that could add up. Plus if i have extra room left over, i might add some extras like all the screenshots i've taken including all the variants i never posted. You can include folders of data on a movie DVD right?
Pokey86

Post by Pokey86 »

Maj wrote:Cool, thanks. I have about 45+ minutes of old footage (not counting Evo Guile or Evo Ryu), plus the SF4 stuff i've been doing, which comes out to about 40 minutes if you figure an average of 1:30 per character for 25 characters. I also have a bunch random small stuff that could add up. Plus if i have extra room left over, i might add some extras like all the screenshots i've taken including all the variants i never posted. You can include folders of data on a movie DVD right?

As far as i know it has to convert to a specific type personally i created a credtis style format using C&P & Windows Movie Maker... That has some obvious downsides though.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yeah, you can include data as long as it's something special for a DVD-ROM. I mean, you can't open it in the DVD player, but someone can view it as DVD ROM content. I don't remember if it requires special formatting. Usually, any dvd authoring prog will let you add that kind of stuff.
Maj

Post by Maj »

So for joo's DVD, you guys captured at 60fps then cut out half the frames to make it 30 non-interlaced?
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

Yep
Maj

Post by Maj »

Okay cool. I think i'll stick to 29.97i because all of my captured footage is that way. I'll have to interlace the emu stuff which kinda sucks, but all the high framerate vids i've ever released run at 59.94fps so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Only other problem is i'm running out of hard drive space so i gotta look into getting a terabyte drive or something, which might be a problem cuz my desktop motherboard is kinda outdated so i'm not sure what limit it supports.

How hard is it to add subtitles to a DVD? I'm thinking that would be the best way to add footnotes like when the video was originally made, whether it was tool-assisted, etc. cuz then people could turn them off to watch the clean vid. Maybe i could even add combo transcripts.
Magnetro

Post by Magnetro »

You can have 60P footage as interlaced, before the DVD I did a test run and it turns out that the encoding program can make it interlaced -- so when I played it on a CRT TV, it looked real smooth, smoother than Joo's final project. So you can choose that route, I think the reason he didnt want to do it is because it has the interlace lines on PC monitors etc.

Terabyte drives are cheap, um you need SATA and not ATA to run them. However, you can run a USB external, too.'

And yes, DVD subtitles are pretty easy to insert. I did it for the Dhalsim DVD, the way it works is:

You can insert them inside the DVD making program, or you can get another program that purely makes subtitles and it'll export them as an .ASS (yeah) file whichcan be imported into the dvd authoring program.