Animated Amusement Gallery

video previews, releases, and feedback
Xenozip.

Animated Amusement Gallery

Post by Xenozip. »

Saikyou no Konbi

Hol Horse performing a super against Jotaro.

It would be difficult to explain this without explaining a lot about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and possibly spoiling things. However, let's just say that the character Hol Horse uses his gun called "Emperor" to shoot out the glass (which is presumably the arcade cabinet monitor), which enables the other stand called "Hanged Man" to take hold of and stab Jotaro. The Hanged Man stand is actually incredibly cool, one of the coolest in the actual manga.
Looks like Jolly Ranchers & Baskin's Sherbet.
Maj

Re: Animated Amusement Gallery

Post by Maj »

Man i don't know what it is with my Internet Explorer, but any animated GIF longer than a seconds or two gets owned up by serious slowdown which only worsens with time. When it loops back to the beginning, it's ok for those first two seconds then gets bad again. If i open it with Windows Picture Viewer, it runs at decent speed for certain period of time, then simply freezes. I've tried to find a solution on google but the issue doesn't even seem to come up for anyone else on the internet.

Anyway, nice work sir!
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hard Edge | One Two

The first is Rock Howard from Garou: Mark of the Wolves, performing his move "Hard Edge".

The second is Arcueid Brunestud from Melty Blood, performing her move "One Two".

This is definitely one of my favorite fighting game similarities. It's mostly because they are so identical. Both moves have two normal strengths, light and heavy. You see the heavy versions in the animations posted above, and the light versions are just a 1-hit with the elbow with no follow-up. Both moves are qcb, both characters pose exactly the same way and move forward at roughly the same speed and distance. And the best part is that they both have the same "Hyaah!" battle cry for the second hit. Nevermind the fact that they are both blond!

I've been in love with this similarity since forever, which you can see if you check out this avatar I made years ago.
Last edited by Xenozip. on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hanafuda | Shitsu

The first is Genjuro from Samurai Shodown, performing his projectile move that is probably called "Hanafuda". If it isn't actually called that then excuse me, but it is a freaking Hanafuda card.

The second is Anji Mito from Guilty Gear, performing his move "Shitsu".

Once again, another wonderfully fun fighting game similarity. And once again again, because they are so identical. They are both horizontal projectiles with moderate startup time. Both projectiles will dissipate on hit, causing only minor damage when not blocked. However, if blocked (as seen in the posted animations) both moves are able to perform a second hit by flipping up into the air in a steep parabolic arc and return to hit the opponent as an overhead. Because they both recover before the second hit, both of them are able to do low-hitting attacks at the same time that their projectiles connect overhead, creating an unblockable trap. The difference is that Genjuro must hold the attack he used in order for the card to perform the second overhead attack on block, where-as Anji's automatically performs the second attack on block.

Trivia: Anji's starts as a butterfly, but when it becomes the second-part overhead it actually takes the shape of a bird. However, some have noted that this bird is identical in appearance to an Aerosmith album cover.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maj wrote:framez
I use Firefox.

But also my vid card is nice.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Can't explain it now, but the first time i saw an SSF2 arcade machine in a pizza parlor or whatever, i remember thinking that they ripped off a bunch of the classic characters' moves. Like Cammy was copying Bison's Psycho Crusher and Ryu's DP, except using her feet insead of her fists. T.Hawk stole Zangief's spinning grab. And DeeJay was obviously throwing Sonic Booms. I thought Fei Long was the only original character.

I couldn't have missed the Bruce Lee reference, but back then i guess basing a video game character on someone in real life didn't seem as blatantly unoriginal as copying ideas from Street Fighter characters.

Btw i think you mistyped the URL for Arcueid's One Two.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

I sure did! Fixed.

Yeah, it's obvious the Japanese rip each other off all the time, inexplicably. I have no idea if it's coincidental (couldn't be), artists style (same person worked on different games?), or totally intentional.

I do know that it is technically possible for it to happen semi-intentionally. When I spoke with Sho Kawakami, author of Monster, I asked him how it turned out that Othello was so incredibly similar to Capcom's Vampire John Talbain/Gallon. Turns out one of the beta testers who played a very big role in testing all pre-releases was just a huge Gallon fan and asked ShoK to design a character "like Gallon".

Other things aren't so blatant because they are just a part of martial arts. But when it's a completely made up thing that doesn't exist in mainstream martial arts you have to wonder how it happened.

Here's a quick list of some other ones I like:
- Yashiro and Yun share the same command grab (I don't have any game that Yashiro is in though)
- Chun, Crome dome, Basara, Oro, and M.Bison all share similar head-stomps
- Chun-Li and Jam share the kikkosho super
- Sagat, Joe, Adon, Crome Dome, Cyrax, and Shredder all have "tiger-knees"
- Blanka and Kano sharing the ball attack always cracked me up
- Potemkin, Kazuki, Avdul have the same "flame grab upper" type move, and I think one other character does, too.
- And yeah, lots of characters use Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do style, like Dragon, Fei Long, Liu Kang, Jam, Miyako, and Daigo.
- They all have that classic flying kick, too (except Fei Long).
- Millia and Sogetsu share the same winpose, as do Akiha and Saki.
- Dhalsim, Zabel, Necro, Benimaru, and Faust have those classic drill kicks.
- Who can even count how many fuckers have the 3-hit rekka or beam supers and teleports.
- Bulleta (bbhood), Chipp and Ibuki have moves where they teleport to your back, and in the case of Chipp and Bulleta they slit your throat (Ibuki snaps your neck).
- Slayer and Dudley share the Dandy Step.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Plova Di Selbo

Jedah from Vampire Savior performing his blood contract EX. I believe the name of the super is butchered Italian, but I don't know what it means, I think "Prova Di" is "Test" or something.

Anyway, Jedah lays out his arm and slits his wrist to shoot blood onto the floor, then the blood travels along the ground, and upon a second button input will turn into a hand and grab the opponent. Hilarity ensues. Jedah vanishes while the hand smacks the opponent into the ground so that they bleed onto the floor, then grinds them into their own blood to cover them in blood, ending with a full-body smack against a huge contract like a "stamp", signing the contract in the opponent's blood. The contract rolls up, carrying the opponent with it, and Jedah reappears to absorb the blue orb which we assume represents the soul, and the contract spits out the opponent's body.

I'm really not a fan of the black leather/red blood goth emo crap, but this is still a very cool looking super.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Kyoufu no Henrin | Perfect Maid

In the first we have another super from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that looks fucking cool. However, what first happens is Shadow Dio performs his Kyoufu no Henrin (terrible pieces) which is a command counter move, if an attack connects with him while his book is out, he negates the hit and teleports either in front or behind the opponent harmlessly. Next, S.Dio performs his Punishment super, which involves him sending out a shadow-World stand to strike the opponent, then stopping time. While time is stopped he throws 32 knives toward the opponent, and has enough time left over to casually sip some blood from a wine glass and read a tome.

In the second, we have Sakuya Izayoi in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. She performs her command counter move Perfect Maid and assumes the same pose as S.Dio when he does his command counter. However, unlike S.Dio her followup is actually automatic, and she stops time to throw knives at the opponent.

Trivia: The design for Sakuya was confirmed as an homage to Dio by ZUN, as she shares many similarities with him (such as stopping time and throwing knives). The only reason she is currently a maid is presumably because her fate has been manipulated by Remilia Scarlet.
fullmetalross

Post by fullmetalross »

Prova Di is Proof of, which could be interprted as test. Selba could be serva which is serve as in you serve. So it could supposed to be Proof of your service.. or something like that.
Mike Z

Post by Mike Z »

A possible reason for the SS/GG similarity is that the GGX series was done by a bunch of the people who worked on SS2. Or so I heard.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Yeah, I also hear they influenced AH, hence why Kamui shares a lot of similarities with Ukyo. And why Saki shares similarities with Millia and such.

Course I had always said right from the get-go that all of the AH characters were just archetype/stock characters, born out of dartboard/blender mechanics. But then some one told me that AH was linked to SS somehow, so w/e (but that would explain why I felt Maori looked a lot like Amakusa/Mizuki).

But a lot of stuff popping up are not easily explainable. Melty Blood Actress Again is borrowing a lot of things from EFZ, which originally borrowed quite a lot from GG.

I just always get a kick out of speculating whether it is coincidence or deliberately done. I always suspected the latter, but it had never been confirmed to me personally until I was able to have an informal conversation with Sho Kawakami (author of Monster).

Hearing from an author that it DID happen means it CAN happen elsewhere, which tickles me pink.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Bulldozer | Harpoon

From Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. In these, Midler uses the High Priestess stand to do some attacks. First is her active stand c.A3, and second is her qcf Harpoon projectile.

The interesting thing about these is the way that they are animated. I believe they used a photo-morphing technique to create the morph transitions for the Stand. The funny thing about it is, if that were the case then they would have to deal with blending and aliasing and smudging and such. In other words, the colors would have to have been blurred and therefor 24bit. However, these are sprites that conform to the 256 color palette the character uses, which is evident in the fact that the Stands also change colors when costume colors are switched. So, I assume some crazy sprite artist out there must have gone through each and every frame after morphing to conform each frame to not just 256 colors but to the palette restrictions existing for the character and the Stand's colors.

It's really mind blowing to think of them doing it the "hard way". But it's also mind boggling to think about how they could have done it "automatically" and gotten good results.

Note: The smooth morphing animations appear significantly more noticeable in slow-motion.

Trivia: Only the High Priestess appears in the manga (comic). Midler's body only appears for one panel, and it's basically just a generic silhouette. You never see "Midler" as she is in the game, and so she was basically fabricated just for the game (presumably they needed another female character for sex appeal, hence the skimpy outfit and big boobs).
Xenozip.

Fire fire fire!

Post by Xenozip. »

Jigoku no Gouka | Dai Bakusatsu: SaiEn Mittsu | Dokkaku Gosokukai | Heat Extend

First is Avdol from Jojo's performing the Hell's Hellfire grab with Magician Red.

Next is Kazama Kazuki in Samurai Shodown 5sp performing Great Self-explode: DisasterBlaze Three.

Third is Kishima Kouma from Melty Blood AC performing a normal throw, then the second animation is his Dokkaku Gosokukai (the translation for which escapes me).

And finally we have Potemkin from Guilty Gear X2#R performing his Heat Extend (which he combos from a 2HS).

There's another character (possibly two) that belongs in this group. But I currently lack the tools to record him(them).
Maj

Post by Maj »

What about Kyo? Isn't he the one who started it all?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Maybe.

or, maybe <Rithli> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yNE8YcUWw g gundam is the original for all that shit afaik
Maj

Post by Maj »

Are you sure? Kyo was doing that shit back in ninety-fo'!
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Wikipedia wrote:Mobile Fighter G Gundam aired on TV Asahi from April 1, 1994 to March 31, 1995, totaling 49 episodes
Shrug. One likely parodied the other.

[edit] Apparently the manga is also dated for 1994. So it may have been in production prior to April.
Rithli

Post by Rithli »

Usually, if it's anyone parodying anyone, it's SNK paying homage to other projects. KOF94 came out in late August, so this is most likely the case for this instance too.

During early days of KOF94's production, they were planning a character named "Kirishima Syo" as the main character. He was supposed to be much closer to standard fighting game main characters such as Ryu and Ryo (martial artists, fighting is the only thing they know how to do, hype and loud as hell during battle, etc), but the designers eventually went with something much different and came to a conclusion with the current Kyo.

In KOF2000, in addition to the striker system, they added a bunch of easter egg strikers as alternate strikers for the existing cast. Among them was Syo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQNan_oX1w (He's the one that flies in and hits the fat korean with the exploding uppercut move).

The fun thing here is that the line Syo yells out during his helper attack is the same line that Domon says for his signature Shining Finger attack. Now, I have no idea if they intended him to have this move since his development prior to 94's release, but I thought this would be some fun trivia to throw out.

And again, since it's SNK, it's pretty much possible they directly drew ideas from G Gundam and they were known for creating parody characters not only throughout the KOF series but in their other projects as well.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

An Oi Mademoiselle

B.Jenet in Garou:Mark of the Wolves performing her secret super. The super can only be done off a Just Defend and requires two super stocks.

She goes berserk, face turns red, then she rips off her shoe and goes on a barrage of heel smacks. Ends with an uppercut final blow, then she realizes what she's done and says "gomen asobase" (very sorry) while returning her shoe to her foot.

Note: Grant enters TOP on the final blow which causes additional screen freeze for the last hit, adding to the dramatic effect.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Rithli wrote:And again, since it's SNK, it's pretty much possible they directly drew ideas from G Gundam and they were known for creating parody characters not only throughout the KOF series but in their other projects as well.
Good point. SNK definitely took a big step with the KoF series because at least their recent parodies are actually parodies. Back during the company's infancy, their "parodies" were outright ripoffs. It's funny how longevity changes people's perspectives. For example, much of the original Samurai Shodown cast are simply SNK's interpretations of famous historical figures and pop culture samurai cliches. But they've been around so long that they feel like truly original icons. If anyone called Galford unoriginal or derivative, my first instinct would be to defend SNK.

Anyway you're right, there's probably no way that Gundam could have copied Kyo, given their respective release and development timeline. But then again, punching someone in the stomach, grabbing them, and making them explode is such a basic superhero combat maneuver. I bet Dr. Doom did that to someone in a comic book back in the 60's.

By the way, does MvC2 Cable's version count?
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

His crouching fierce?

Only reason Kyo's not up is because I don't have a way to cap him at the moment. And only reason Demitri isn't up is because I didn't think of it until now.
Maj

Post by Maj »

Nah, that blockable grab move nobody ever uses except in combo videos.
Xenozip.

Post by Xenozip. »

Hahaha, that's funny.
Snoooootch

Gif and other images

Post by Snoooootch »

Not sure if you guys are into the whole ".gif" thing, but I love making gifs. So, like a screenshot thread, I'd like to open this to see if you guys enjoy making gif images that spread from humor to... well, whatever else, but the media can include fighting games, or people in the community, or, well, idk where I'm going with this, but I need a place to store them, so I thought I would try it out here. :)

So here's one I made from Keiko's Alpha 2 combo video vol. 2:

And this is from "Chocolate Bacon."
Last edited by Snoooootch on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making no profit since 1987...
error1

Re: Gif images

Post by error1 »

I'm an old timey sprite ripper so I've made some animations in my day
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8928/danrun.png
his1nightmare

Post by his1nightmare »

I've some more, but mostly not regarding this topic, and those which are still within the range of this matter aren't really remarkable.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

It's not fighting games related but it was my first "gif work" I made loong time ago for a forum signature, it's taken from Pearl Jam's Do the Evolution video, it took me a lot of time and work to do it:
BTW, loved the Birdie Gif! hahahaha it's great!
「切ない想いを受け止めて」
SFZ2 Blog
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

No way, keiko!! I've seen that around!!! Badass!

Oh, one more:
That's Daigo vs Ricky Ortiz at last years EVO.
Snoooootch

Post by Snoooootch »

Hakan's U1:

Abel's Command grab:

T Hawk's U2:

Genei Jin not so smooth:
Last edited by Snoooootch on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.